George Strait and Cocaine

48,415 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by lead
pencil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody heard stories/rumors about George Strait and cocaine? If so, please share.

I was told that he got caught in Kingsville w/ cocaine and was forced to put on several benefit concerts.

Bacon
heard he used to be called the "Cocaine Cowboy"
Big 12-0
...some people call him "Maurice" (Waaa-waaa)
houstontexan
i can't see george hauling blow, but whatever...

when you're that big of a celeb, you should be punished for NOT doing drugs.
JWH
They could never make a movie about him if he wasn't at least taking pills at some point in his career.
FAST FRED
AG
I hope this is all a rumor, but maybe he had a fire he couldn't put out and got "Carried Away," even though he was seemingly "Living And Living Well."

If he was getting "Unwound" from feeling "Down And Out," searching and asking "Am I Blue?" every night, "One Night At A Time," losing sight of "The Real Thing" and, "Right Or Wrong," "Desperately" he went down the path of "Easy Come and Easy Go," then I guess he'll be stuck in rodeo singer rehab, remembering "My Life's Been Grand," while asking "Why Baby, Why?" as "The Cowboy Rides Away," just another "Fool-Hearted Memory," who too late realized "My World Slipped Away."

"Just Write This Down," Mister Strait, "Nobody In His Right Mind Would've Left" "The Best Day"s of his life just to end up a broken, has been Cowboy Junkie in "Honkytonkville."

"It Ain't Cool" to have once been the undisputed "King Of The Mountain" and then give up "The Chair" you occupied at the head table in "Marina Del Rey" just for some feel-good, nose candy "Ocean Front Property" and now be headed for a "Four Down And Twelve Across" sized cell in "The Middle Of Nowhere," where you'll seldom see the "Clear Blue Sky."

Maybe, your big, tattooed prison roommate will be eying your nice fitting Wranglers and softly singing, "You Look So Good In Love" under his smelly breath.

Maybe you can find "Jesus On The Jail House Floor."

So adiĆ³s, "Adilida;" any "Famous Last Words," you fool?

Didn't anybody ever mention to you that "We Really Shouldn't Be Doing This?"

Or were you too busy thinking "Let's Go To Pieces" together?

They'll be no "I Can Still Make Cheyenne" fallback position for you now, "Baby Blue."

"As Far As It Goes," I hope your fans or family will send you some "Christmas Cookies" that can ease your Jones.

Gosh, "Fireman," I thought we knew you better than this.

You were "Something Special" to a lot of us.

Tell me, "Is It True", George?

If it's easier to answer us in a "Round About Way," just "Check Yes Or No."

I'm a longtime fan and I hope George is really straight.

And that, whether he's blameless or not, he has a sense of humor, should the words I've written here ever cross his mind.

Gig 'em, FAST FRED '65.

Before the world wide web, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.

[This message has been edited by FAST FRED (edited 11/28/2005 6:41p).]
AggieChemist
AG
Fred, I'm impressed.
Tina Yothers
During the late 80s and early 90s and was hanging out on the team roping circuit he was a well-known cokehead. I wouldn't know if he is still using or not.
Philo B 93
Do you think anybody could play in front of thousands of spectators that many nights a year for that many years without doing some sort of drugs?

Think about the pressure to be the center of the biggest party in town 100 nights a year every year for 10 years. Every night you go on in front of twenty thousand people who paid $40 - $100 a piece to see you at your very best.

I don't see how anybody as big as George could have a successful career without some help.

Only the Rolling Stones, who turned rock concerts into an office job after years of drug abuse, could do it.

[This message has been edited by Philo B 93 (edited 11/28/2005 2:12p).]
BigAg95
AG
I knew a guy that worked on his road crew for a few years in the late 80's who swore that Strait smoked crack.

At the time I thought my friend was just BS'ing, but I have heard similar stories from other people over the years.
Sensei John Kreese
AG
He got busted with coke in the late 80's.
Rex Racer
AG
It belonged to a longtime friend that he was trying to help. His friend's name... Michael Irvin.
Big 12-0
I think Eric Clapton wrote a song about it.
olarmyfight
I have heard those stories ever since I was a kid but it could be true. I really don't now. I can see it happening though. Between the constant stream of fans, the pressure night in and night out, along with the death of his daughter in the mid eighties, that could drive anyone to a little drug use.

doesn't sound too far fetched. he was a big star in the 80's... from what I've heard, you could find coke in nursing homes in the 80's.
houstontexan
i agree w/ the above poster.

i get exhausted after a job interview. i see nothing wrong with this guy wanting some "pick me up" to assist w/ the energy needed to be at his level as many nights as he performs.
Apache
AG
I thought he might have a drug problem. That explains why he can stay so dang skinny. Also explains why he's so animated when he's on stage!
Philo B 93
That dude is a maniac on stage, isn't he?
houstontexan
one question is that this guy would be having to go off by himself every 30 min (at least) if this were the case.

can't imagine wanting to perform on a blow come down...you'd be freaking some people out.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
It belonged to a longtime friend that he was trying to help. His friend's name... Michael Irvin.

RacerX93, i lauged. how can anyone not think this was funny?
Syd_X_Barrett
Anyone who doesn't believe that 90% of your favorite entertainers don't endulge in some degree of drug usage are either stupid, or terribly naive. One hand feeds the other.

Hell, most of the CEO's in the world are cokeheads, or do you honestly believe that people can get by every day on 3-4 hours of sleep?
mduncbish
quote:
I think Eric Clapton wrote a song about it.
Bacon
i think he just got tired. tired of all the lights. the smoke.
YBS
AG
Ya'll are going a little light on dude don't ya think? Doing rock ain't cool I don't care what your career is. Irvin and Gooden performed in front of thousands and they got ripped by the public, so should anyone else
Jimmie Dimmick
BigRobSA
Syd,

"or do you honestly believe that people can get by every day on 3-4 hours of sleep?"

I get anywhere from 2-4 hours of sleep a day...I just don't sleep much. It's genetic, my father is the same way. It's a blessing...sleep is how your body cleans out the "cobwebs" so to speak in your brain. Some people take longer...some don't. Not EVERYONE needs 8 hrs of sleep. Man, I'd have wasted 4 hrs doing absolutely nothing if that were the case.

BTW, a coworker of my dad's in the early 90's (post-Air Force) was a longtime friend of George's. He even told my dad that he had started doing all sorts of drugs after a family tragedy happened. But was clean by "now" (early 90's). I can't speak for everyone, but if your kids dies or something like that....that's got to tear you up. Good thing he hit the wagon. He might not be around today if he hadn't.
Philo B 93
BigRob,
Do you really get by on 2-4 hours sleep every night?

As a Doctor, I don't see how that's possible.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
my dad used to get by on 4 hours of sleep per night while building his business. i'm pretty sure he wasnt on drugs.
dreyOO
I've heard the exact same story as you Pencil from several locals that have roots down there.
BigRobSA
yes, Philo, it's true. I'm a freak, I know.

Seriously, my dad is the same way. If I sleep too long my body hurts. It has since I was a kid. I used to frustrate my mother because she'd be trying to sleep, and I'd have the TV going in the living room. Then, I got a TV in my room.

Let me tell you, when you're up at 3:30am, TV sucks. I pay buttloads for cable...and the ba$tards have "paid programming" on. Hell, sometimes, HBO is off the air with the rainbow. Weird.

[This message has been edited by BigRobSA (edited 11/30/2005 4:08p).]
houstontexan
i could care less if athletes, entertainers are on drugs. its their lives and as long as they're not harming me, i like the idea of these guys doing some blow every now and again.
LindaleAgg
bump
p-townag
AG
I think houstontexan is trying to give us a little insight into his own "recreational activities."
Philo B 93
We're safe to assume that Houstontexan is in fact a professional athlete. He apparantly plays football for the Houston Texans. There's not that many Aggies on the team, so its not hard to figure out who he is. This explains the Texans' record this year.

[This message has been edited by Philo B 93 (edited 12/1/2005 11:08a).]
MW03
AG
i've heard that he wears unfortunate jeans.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.