Best Simplistic Guitar Solo

3,875 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Claude!
MSFC Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Go to the 3:50 mark...



And outro solo starting at 4:50....
fav13andac1)c
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Impossible Germany - Wilco

Solo starts at 2:41. Really thoughtful, melodic, and articulate. Doesn't overplay; it says more with less. I love how the band builds around the solo guitar as well.


Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some obvious ones here but:

Comfortably Numb
Californication
Stairway to Heaven
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll give you Californication.

I would not call Comfortably Numb or Stairway "simplistic". Comfortably Numb's solo, the middle one, has rakes and beautiful vibratos at the top of full bends. Minimalistic? Sure. Simplistic? Not to me, and i"ve been playing guitar for decades. Stairway's solo takes a lot of practice and dexterous playing to nail all those licks.

I would consider simplistic to be a solo that any intermediate guitar player could play with little to no practice.
snowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fav13andac1)c said:

Impossible Germany - Wilco

Solo starts at 2:41. Really thoughtful, melodic, and articulate. Doesn't overplay; it says more with less. I love how the band builds around the solo guitar as well.




Oh man....so good. That solo could go on with those interplay twin guitars much, much longer and I wouldn't complain. I feel similarly about the guitar at the end of Yes Starship Trooper.
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lathspell said:

I'll give you Californication.

I would not call Comfortably Numb or Stairway "simplistic". Comfortably Numb's solo, the middle one, has rakes and beautiful vibratos at the top of full bends. Minimalistic? Sure. Simplistic? Not to me, and i"ve been playing guitar for decades. Stairway's solo takes a lot of practice and dexterous playing to nail all those licks.

I would consider simplistic to be a solo that any intermediate guitar player could play with little to no practice.


Yeah. I was hoping he was using sarcasm.
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I definitely think Gilmour has a special talent to make minimalistic solos seem simple, but they are anything but. Truly one of the greats.
MSFC Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lathspell said:

I'll give you Californication.

I would not call Comfortably Numb or Stairway "simplistic". Comfortably Numb's solo, the middle one, has rakes and beautiful vibratos at the top of full bends. Minimalistic? Sure. Simplistic? Not to me, and i"ve been playing guitar for decades. Stairway's solo takes a lot of practice and dexterous playing to nail all those licks.

I would consider simplistic to be a solo that any intermediate guitar player could play with little to no practice.

I was wondering about this too....if the OP was directed at players. Clapton, Gilmore, Page, etc. have multiple solos that sound "simple", but are definitely not simple to play. I never seem to get Gilmore's bends correct.
MSFC Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Go to the 2:40 mark...

Sooper Jeenyus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Surprised no mention of Smells Like Teen Spirit. Fun song, easy solo, mirrors verse melody.
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lathspell said:

I definitely think Gilmour has a special talent to make minimalistic solos seem simple, but they are anything but. Truly one of the greats.


His use of vibrato and bends is so great.
Whos Juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bonus Rachel Hunter
IIIHorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lathspell said:

I definitely think Gilmour has a special talent to make minimalistic solos seem simple, but they are anything but. Truly one of the greats.

Agreed.
bert harbinson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MSFC Aggie said:

Go to the 3:50 mark...



And outro solo starting at 4:50....


Love this one. Like Comfortably Numb, two great solos in one.
I'd add Tom Petty/Mike Campbell's Breakdown...short, simple, tasteful, and easy.
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sooper Jeenyus said:

amg405 said:

I've always like the one from "What I've Got" by Sublime

WAY overplayed on radio. Can't stand hearing anything from that album now. Instant station switch.

40 oz to Freedom is still OK though.

Ha, I am the opposite. So many songs that I used to hate that were super overplayed back in the 90's and early 2000's that I dig now for the nostalgia. And some of it, i realize I just slept on musically...bc I thought I was too cool or was into other stuff at the time.

But I don;t remember Sublime being on the radio all that much at all personally. No more than any other popular bands at the time.

I personally love all their music...even the "pop" hits like "Santeria". But I respect the first amendment and your God given right to be wrong
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lathspell said:

Finishing Rumours and was reminded how amazing the ending solo to The Chain is, as well. Basic and awesome!



It's like music back then was made almost exclusively for rolling around in muscle cars. I drove one in the late 90's in HS and so many classic rock songs just gave me the urge to punch it.
GrapevineAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2:15 mark

StinkyPinky
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tool. Adam Jones purposefully writes very simple solos that fits within the atmosphere of the song. No shredding, no theatrics, no complexity.
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tom Petty American Girl
U2 - Still Haven't Found


And y'all are crazy if you think Elliott Easton and David Gilmour solos are "simple"!
HtownAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


It has some riffs, but mostly simple and fantastic:



ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you for this. Grew up on SP and absolutely loved seeing them a few years back. Corgan, Iha and chamberlain still got it.
Aggie Infantry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
3:30 mark

2021 Remaster "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" Prince, Tom Petty & More | Rock Hall 2004 Induction
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You think that's simple?
rhutton125
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Boys are Back in Town. Dual guitar but serves the song well and allows for one of my all-time favorite bass lines.
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

Surprised no mention of Smells Like Teen Spirit. Fun song, easy solo, mirrors verse melody.

Came to say this as well. Minimalist and simple, reinforces the melodies already in your head.

re: What I Got - it is minimal and there isn't much dexterity required, but the timing after the double-stops won't come naturally for most. That short solo was very much an artist feeling it when he played and it is brilliant.

Every Rose Has Its Thorn is a good one. Any intermediate guitarist can learn it in 2 minutes. It has a few flashes that sound tricky but they're really easy. CC Deville always gets sh*t from guitarists but I've never understood the hate. Dude just writes catchy solos that fit songs.


Claude!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess it's technically a bass, but the solo in Marty Robbins's song "Don't Worry". One of the first uses of distortion, caused by a faulty amp.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.