Best Simplistic Guitar Solo

3,864 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Claude!
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I was listening to Rumors, as one does when one wants to hear great music, and listening to Go Your Own Way got me thinking. That ending solo is so freaking great and emotional, but it is absolutely incredibly simple. Obviously, that's the genius of Fleetwood Mac and Lindsey Buckingham, in particular.

I came to the conclusion that this solo may be the best simple solo i've heard. I thought it would be interesting to hear other people's favorite guitar solos that are incredibly simple. No sweeps, tapping, shredding, or really anything fancy at all. Just the right few notes that come together to make something special.

maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He is unique in his approach.

Keep On Rocking In The Free World might fit your criteria.
Equinox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cinnamon Girl, Neil Young.
amg405
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've always like the one from "What I've Got" by Sublime
amg405
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whos Juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
amg405 said:

I've always like the one from "What I've Got" by Sublime


"I can play the guitar like a MF'ing riot" *plays the lamest solo ever*
Sooper Jeenyus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
amg405 said:

I've always like the one from "What I've Got" by Sublime
WAY overplayed on radio. Can't stand hearing anything from that album now. Instant station switch.

40 oz to Freedom is still OK though.
GrapevineAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Perhaps too simple for your criteria, but...

Tom Petty - "Don't Come Around Here No More"



Steve Perry - "Oh Sherry": very simple, not daring, but it fits the song



Beatles - "Let It Be"




edited to link in the videos
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nothing is too simple. The simpler the better!

I will say, everyone is failing because I see no linked videos. Are yall expecting me to do all the work of searching on YouTube and jumping to the solo myself!?!

ETA: That's better!
rednecked
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Eric Clapton - Lay Down Sally.
It has a few bends. It's Clapton, it must have some bends! but it's such subtle masterpiece. I'd probably listened to the song 100 times, then one day driving down the road it just floored me how awesome this solo is.
starts at 1:47

MGS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The beginning of Sweet Child of Mine.

I don't need a youtube link, everybody knows the song.
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finishing Rumours and was reminded how amazing the ending solo to The Chain is, as well. Basic and awesome!

MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I always thought Billy Corgan had a knack for the simple solo. Dude has an absolute knack for tone.







gggmann
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chris DeGarmo on "Silent Lucidity". Simple and fits the song. There's a key change from G to Eb which give that section an uplifting feel.

Guitar solo starts at 2:57

RAB97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've always loved the solo to Faith No More's Epic. The broken chord buildup to a simple little lick at the end, just fit the song so well.
MSFC Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rednecked said:

Eric Clapton - Lay Down Sally.
It has a few bends. It's Clapton, it must have some bends! but it's such subtle masterpiece. I'd probably listened to the song 100 times, then one day driving down the road it just floored me how awesome this solo is.
starts at 1:47



Wonderful Tonight is simple and powerful

StoutAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was going to suggest Wonderful tonight, too. Glad I didn't have to find the video!
StoutAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Faith No More - Easy is a good one, too.

rhutton125
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wreckage by Pearl Jam. I think my favorite thing about it is the restraint - it's not a McCready guitar solo I'd come to expect, but instead perfectly suits the song.

bonfarr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


How about this lick from Corey Feldman.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nirvana - Come as you are

St Vincent - Pills
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MCA from Beastie Boys on "Sabotage" and I don't even know if it is complex enough to even qualify as a solo.
chico
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This doesn't sound simple to me, but it might fit your criteria. The legend of B.B. King.


Scotty Appleton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2 off the top of my head.

Radiohead - "High and Dry"

Pavement - "In The Mouth of a Desert"
Scotty Appleton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oh and, duh, it doesn't get much darker, bleak and awesome than the simple solo on "New Dawn Fades".
Mowdy Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The tune that inspired Justin Hayward to learn to play guitar:

Mowdy Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
…and one from the man himself:

IIIHorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MGS said:

The beginning of Sweet Child of Mine.

I don't need a youtube link, everybody knows the song.


Oops …

Responded to the wrong post.

IIIHorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MSFC Aggie said:

rednecked said:

Eric Clapton - Lay Down Sally.
It has a few bends. It's Clapton, it must have some bends! but it's such subtle masterpiece. I'd probably listened to the song 100 times, then one day driving down the road it just floored me how awesome this solo is.
starts at 1:47



Wonderful Tonight is simple and powerful






snowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Equinox said:

Cinnamon Girl, Neil Young.

Down By the River and Cowgirl In the Sand have entered the chat.
IIIHorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Equinox said:

Cinnamon Girl, Neil Young.


I think Guitar Player provided the tablature for that repeating, one note solo.
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IIIHorn said:

Equinox said:

Cinnamon Girl, Neil Young.


I think Guitar Player provided the tablature for that repeating, one note solo.


Andy Aledort needed a day off?
IIIHorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
maroon barchetta said:

IIIHorn said:

Equinox said:

Cinnamon Girl, Neil Young.


I think Guitar Player provided the tablature for that repeating, one note solo.


Andy Aledort needed a day off?


Yes. He didn't have to fret over it.
90 bull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any number of Elliot Easton's solos with the cars. I can't remember who said it, but the paraphrased quote was "he always plays the right solo. "
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
90 bull said:

Any number of Elliot Easton's solos with the cars. I can't remember who said it, but the paraphrased quote was "he always plays the right solo. "


Even Nuno Bettencourt mentioned that in his visit with Rick Beato. It's true. Easton always had the best solo for the song.
Page 1 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.