Listers: A Glimpse In To Extreme BirdWatching

4,618 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by ABATTBQ11
Thunder18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The editing was top notch
BadMoonRisin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DG-Ag said:

Watched it last night and enjoyed it a lot.

Question - those nice, crisp photos/videos that showed the birds with notation of what species they were at the bottom - did the guys take those photos/videos themselves?


That was part of the fun for me. Most of the documentary looks like it was filmed on a potato and then there are these really nicely framed HD slow motion videos of the birds.

You can tell from some of the shots, especially one with Q near the very end when he is talking with the woman, he has some high end gear/ glass on a digital cam to shoot with.


ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TexAgBolter said:

Sounds like it. The brother not on camera much, Owen, is a professional wildlife photographer who has worked for Nat Geo.


That makes so much sense. Explains how they were able to do a lot of this.
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kind of the same. Wife was a zoo major and exotic animal trainer for many years. Thought she'd love this and I ended up being just as into it. If the Oscars had a fan vote I'd write this in.
Aggies76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quintin and Owen Reiser's Field Guide is available on Amazon.
GrapevineAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are soft-core birders (we use Merlin instead of the other app) so we watched it based on this thread. We really enjoyed it. The bird shots were amazing and the guys were funny. I have 1 tiny gripe: sometimes it was hard to read the bird type because it was dark text over a dark background. That aside, it was a very fun watch. Have already recommended it to friends.
Blonde Coffee Beans
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The cute female wearing the beanie was obnoxious. She has an issue with people bird watching/listing but non listing bird watching was obviously her passion. Carbon footprint my ass
"I don't care about your feelings OP. I'm not going to let fandom replace reason, thought, and history"
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rononeill said:

Think: best in show, but real.


Ok, now I'm in.

Having lived in Rockport which is a well known bird watching paradise and now out west we've gotten into birds quite a bit especially where we are now. Our porch is a bird Mecca. I've counted up 20 hummingbirds at once hitting our three feeders. And it's every day. We burn through sugar water like a m'fer.

In Rockport, we had an Osprey for two years that frequented our canal and that was awesome.
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

I watched on a lark and have recommended it to anyone who will listen.


It would be a cardinal sin not to.
GoAgs92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
all those mosquitos in the Sedona, good god.
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cromagnum said:

Sea Speed said:

I watched on a lark and have recommended it to anyone who will listen.


It would be a cardinal sin not to.


I've been chirping about this doc to anyone who will listen. Glad this thread is finally starting to take flight.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

Cromagnum said:

Sea Speed said:

I watched on a lark and have recommended it to anyone who will listen.


It would be a cardinal sin not to.


I've been chirping about this doc to anyone who will listen. Glad this thread is finally starting to take flight.


Do you have ownership? You are just hawking wares at this point.
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Thank you for suggesting this!

I'm about 20-30 in, but it's hilarious.
Coppell97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never doubt TexAgs. I know nothing about birdwatching, and also generally don't like documentaries. But we tried this because of this thread with the plan, if it's bad, we'll turn it off in 5 mins. Ended up watching the whole thing. Laughing at times. Enjoying their travels and adventures. Liked seeing the hyper-competitive birdwatchers, etc. and that world.

My son and I really liked it. It's entertaining. The guys are pretty funny. I enjoyed seeing all the different birds too. Was a good watch. Thank you.
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sea Speed said:

Cromagnum said:

Sea Speed said:

I watched on a lark and have recommended it to anyone who will listen.


It would be a cardinal sin not to.


I've been chirping about this doc to anyone who will listen. Glad this thread is finally starting to take flight.

I dove right into this doc, the intensity of some of the listers was hard to swallow but never made me want to duck out early. Reading this thread and seeing dark text on dark backgrounds was the only thing a review could grouse about made me want to take a gander.
FightinTexasAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just finished watching it. I had recently gotten into bird watching but nothing serious, so this was pretty crazy to see how seriously some people take it and the lengths they go to in order to add to their lists. Wild.

Really great documentary, and loved the bros just being bros on a bird watching trip vibe. Super fun watch
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.