*** THE ODYSSEY *** (Christopher Nolan)

382,588 Views | 4613 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by CharleyKerfeld
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS said:

460K Instagram followers
380K TikTok followers
64K Twitter followers
20K YouTube subs
... and a relatively notable podcast.

That's a pretty sizable footprint.

He's gone viral a few times too, but for genuine moments, not schlocky crap. To that end, he's not a sensational influencer type. Again, he's a real cinephile, knows his ****, directors really like talking to him, etc. He's kind of like a slightly-well-less-known Sean Fennessey type. Just a genuine, normal, good dude who truly loves movies.


Oh nice. Yeah, I watch Youtube stuff, a lot of times in the background, but don't have social media accounts. Most of my social media post info comes from this board, lol. I'll definitely put on some of his interviews while I work. Thanks!
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This a shorter one with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, but it's a good sample of how genuine/affable/knowledgable he his...

FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Langley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you're are a big Nolan fan championing this movie DO NOT read the comments of the trailer

It's essentially what 75% of the opinions this thread had leading into it. Based on the court of public opinion, I predict this movie will be Nolan's worst.







TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I really want this to be good, but that trailer made it look like a made for tv movie shot with good cameras.
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GOOD cameos?

Edit: Yeah I misread that... Yeah I'm still leaving my comment.
Thunderstruck xx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
veryfuller said:

Nolan's worst movie (Tenet by all accounts) is still more entertaining and interesting than about 90% of movies that come out. I just don't understand this take. Even if it isn't the best Nolan movie, its going to be a good time. Deciding to pre-hate it is just a waste of energy and making you miss out on the fun of the movies.

"Hollywood" isn't the monolith you want it to be. Sure there is a majority culture that is preachy. But not every filmmaker is in that mold. The insistence to throw Nolan in that bucket just says more about the people who do that than Nolan or his movie.


We clearly have different opinions on what makes a movie good. I put Tenet in the bottom 50% of all movies I've ever seen. It was such a slog to get through. You seem like a Nolan fanboy and that's OK. You do you.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thunderstruck xx said:

veryfuller said:

Nolan's worst movie (Tenet by all accounts) is still more entertaining and interesting than about 90% of movies that come out. I just don't understand this take. Even if it isn't the best Nolan movie, its going to be a good time. Deciding to pre-hate it is just a waste of energy and making you miss out on the fun of the movies.

"Hollywood" isn't the monolith you want it to be. Sure there is a majority culture that is preachy. But not every filmmaker is in that mold. The insistence to throw Nolan in that bucket just says more about the people who do that than Nolan or his movie.


We clearly have different opinions on what makes a movie good. I put Tenet in the bottom 50% of all movies I've ever seen. It was such a slog to get through. You seem like a Nolan fanboy and that's OK. You do you.


Agree on Tenet. I just didn't like it at all. Rest of his movies are badass so this one gets benefit of doubt from me despite the absurd casting.
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nolan is the only filmmaker where I have polar opposite reactions to his work. I either really love it and it becomes an all time great for me, or it doesn't work at all for me and I hate it.

Tenet is one of the ones I didn't like at all. Same with Inception, but everyone loves that so I figured it's just me.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Belton Ag said:

Nolan is the only filmmaker where I have polar opposite reactions to his work. I either really love it and it becomes an all time great for me, or it doesn't work at all for me and I hate it.

Tenet is one of the ones I didn't like at all. Same with Inception, but everyone loves that so I figured it's just me.


Yeah, I think that one is just you (Inception).
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YouBet said:

Belton Ag said:

Nolan is the only filmmaker where I have polar opposite reactions to his work. I either really love it and it becomes an all time great for me, or it doesn't work at all for me and I hate it.

Tenet is one of the ones I didn't like at all. Same with Inception, but everyone loves that so I figured it's just me.


Yeah, I think that one is just you (Inception).

Yeah I know I'm in the vast minority. I let out an audible groan in the theater towards the end when they all went to some lodge in the Himalayas because I wanted it to end and it just wouldn't.

I have the same feelings about James Cameron movies because the dialogue he writes comes across like it was written by preteen girls.
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You don't like the Terminator movies, Aliens or True Lies?
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lol... when Inception is one of your examples of a bad movie, you should probably just pickup your things and silently leave the room.
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bruce Almighty said:

You don't like the Terminator movies, Aliens or True Lies?


To be fair to his argument, dialogue in the Terminator movies, Aliens, and True lies =/= dialogie in the Avatar movies.
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bruce Almighty said:

You don't like the Terminator movies, Aliens or True Lies?


I should have specified that. I loved everything up until True Lies. I liked True Lies but I don't think about it much. After that, nope. Visual feasts, awful dialogue.
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lathspell said:

Lol... when Inception is one of your examples of a bad movie, you should probably just pickup your things and silently leave the room.


I didn't say Inception was a "bad movie." I said it didn't work for me. The Nolan movies that don't work for me are Tenet and Inception.

I notice I'm not alone about Tenet, and pretty much everyone loves inception.
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hated Tenet and find The Dark Knight Rises and Oppenheimer to be uneven (though both good movies). Everything else he's directed has been fantastic.
Cliff.Booth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The centrifugal force of online banter has forced expectations into the extremes of Nolan's, nay, the 21st century's cinematic masterpiece or a wokeslop DEI dumpsterfire, when in all likelihood most viewers will walk out of the IMAX or pick up the remote and say "that was ok, had some cool parts" and that'll be that. I expect it'll have a similar aftertaste and legacy as Dunkirk, like, a few people who ardently love it, a lot of people who think it was "pretty cool" but won't ever watch it again, and a minority who consider it ass. As much as the focus has fallen upon the more Oscar-checkbox casting decisions, I think casting Matt Damon as Odysseus will play a larger part in this movie being pretty forgettable. For Odysseus you just need an actor with more range and gravitas who can embody the Homeric hero, and maybe he will surprise me, but the trailers don't sell that. It'll still make money, it'll win some awards for reasons or other reasons, and it'll sit firmly somewhere in the mid ranks of Nolan's filmography.
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Critical Drinker has entered the chat. And, as always, his opinions basically mirror my own, 100%. I've watched so many of his videos, over the years, and he's usually criticizing slop with glee. You can tell he has a similar reaction as many of us who actually do love Nolan. Just disappointed. A feeling of, "...but why?"

AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pretty much sums up my thoughts about this one.
God loves you so much He'll meet you where you are. He also loves you too much to allow to stay where you are.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Except he nor any of you have seen the movie for yourselves yet. If this video were released AFTER he'd seen the movie, and all of this fretting actually proved to be true, fine. THEN the endless complaining would be more justified. The problem is that every one of his complaints are CONCLUSIONS he's reached based on ASSUMPTIONS about something he hasn't yet seen with his own eyes, without the full CONTEXT of the movie itself…

- "I don't like that a tiny trans person was cast in this movie," thus they will be bad in their role.

- "I don't like that a black woman was cast as Helen of Troy," thus the role is ruined.

- "I think Zendaya is overrated and oversaturated," thus she wasn't the right choice for the role.

Again, all of those opinions MIGHT end up being justified. And I'm not saying it's a crime to be skeptical in advance. But good lord this has turned into such ridiculous, over-the-top, ideological pearl clutching that the backlash is now officially just as annoying as you guys find the supposed "woke" ***** It's FAR too much ire for something no one has seen with their own eyes, and nothing more than rage/click-bait nonsense at this point.
Langley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS said:

Except he nor any of you have seen the movie for yourselves yet. If this video were released AFTER he'd seen the movie, and all of this fretting actually proved to be true, fine. THEN the endless complaining would be more justified. The problem is that every one of his complaints are CONCLUSIONS he's reached based on ASSUMPTIONS about something he hasn't yet seen with his own eyes, without the full CONTEXT of the movie itself…

- "I don't like that a tiny trans person was cast in this movie," thus they will be bad in their role.

- "I don't like that a black woman was cast as Helen of Troy," thus the role is ruined.

- "I think Zendaya is overrated and oversaturated," thus she wasn't the right choice for this.

Again, all of those opinions MIGHT end up being justified. And I'm not saying it's a crime to be skeptical in advance. But good lord this has turned into such ridiculous, over-the-top, ideological pearl clutching that the backlash is now officially just as annoying as you guys find the supposed "woke" ***** It's FAR too much ire for something no one has seen with their own eyes, and nothing more than rage/click-bait nonsense at this point.


It looks like poo in the trailer. Can you admit that?



TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't know what this means. What "looks like poo in the trailer"?

If you're asking do I find the trailers a little underwhelming? Yes. And I've said as much in this thread more times than I can count.

My point is, however mediocre the trailers look, they don't justify the level of vitriol being expressed toward the movie, sight unseen, especially considering who the director is.

I'm merely saying, if you still feel this way AFTER seeing the movie for yourselves, then, by all means, have at it. But until then? What should be healthy skepticism has ventured well into endless, full-on posturing/ideological/virtue signaling territory.
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been underwhelmed by the trailers but the 7 min or whatever preview they showed of the Trojan horse escape before Project Hail Mary was ****ING GREAT.
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And yet, you still completly miss the point. You are arguing some point that neither I, nor the video, am even making.

The outcome is irrelevant to my feelings on these matters. Lupita is miscast. She could do a fine enough acting job in this movie, but it doesnt matter. I am fatigued with this kind of bull***** The casting is ****, no matter the outcome of the movie.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She was "miscast" based on YOUR expectations for the story.

You have no clue what Nolan is trying to do with the story or the character because you haven't yet seen the movie for yourself.

This is HIS version, not yours.

THAT is the point.

And if you come back with "historical accuracy" or whatever nonsense, then we're just going to have the same conversation that's already been had a thousand times in this thread, to which I'll argue, yet again, that this is a FANTASY land in a FANTASY world that was never part of OUR history or OUR world. Thus, all bets are off. If monsters and gods can exist in this world, so can a black Helen of Troy.

If you want to tell YOUR version of this story, no one's stopping you. Go right ahead.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just find it hilarious that I post ONE positive reaction to the movie - from someone who's actually seen it for themselves - only for a horde of you, who haven't seen the movie for yourselves, to show up like clockwork and immediately feel the need to knock it back down a peg. Don't you guys find that... desperate? A little deranged? Like, you're only proving my point that it's all ideological bull***** Otherwise, you simply wouldn't be attacking something this consistently that, again, you haven't yet seen. It's so ****ing weird.
Cliff.Booth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't you find it a little weird to be bothered what other people are saying on a message board about movies? This isnt r/ChristopherNolan. Also, let's be honest that Kevin McCarthy isn't going to sit down in front of Nolan and criticize the movie. This is all the standard publicity content in the weeks leading up. A few weeks ago we were reading how daring and wonderful Supergirl is, too.
Enrico Pallazzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Deranged is being incredibly sensitive about a movie being criticized. It's okay just to shut the **** up sometimes
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Belton Ag said:

Nolan is the only filmmaker where I have polar opposite reactions to his work. I either really love it and it becomes an all time great for me, or it doesn't work at all for me and I hate it.

Tenet is one of the ones I didn't like at all. Same with Inception, but everyone loves that so I figured it's just me.

I don't like Inception either, there are dozens of us.
DOZENS!
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't you find it a little weird to be this bothered by a movie, period?

Especially when you're on here everyday, same as me, just as relentless in your need to virtue signal about this movie's apparent shortcomings, sight unseen.

As for McCarthy, I literally acknowledged in my post everything you're saying. Why do you feel the need to frame it as if I didn't? Regardless, it doesn't take away from the fact that he seems genuine.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Enrico Pallazzo said:

Deranged is being incredibly sensitive about a movie being criticized. It's okay just to shut the **** up sometimes


Right back at you. Maybe try it yourselves sometimes.
Enrico Pallazzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Actually, I meant -> Deranged is being INCREDIBLY sensitive about a MOVIE being CRITICIZED. It's OKAY just to SHUT the **** UP sometimes
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If I pay for everything including airfare, can we get Cliff and TC to meet at the Schulman 6 in Bryan and see the Odyssey together with a live stream podcast reaction?
Enrico Pallazzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS said:

Enrico Pallazzo said:

Deranged is being incredibly sensitive about a movie being criticized. It's okay just to shut the **** up sometimes


Right back at you. Maybe try it yourselves sometimes.


Someone criticizes a movie for whatever reason, sometimes valid and sometimes not so much. You respond by making it personal. Happens over and over and over again on this board. It's ridiculous.
First Page Last Page
Page 46 of 132 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.