*** THE ODYSSEY *** (Christopher Nolan)

382,697 Views | 4613 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by CharleyKerfeld
veryfuller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
This is just hilarious at this point. We've gone from "I feel triggered by this movie even tho I have not seen it therefore it's probably going to be terrible and bomb," (even with people saying, "wait and see!") to "I feel triggered by this movie therefore I'm not going to see it and yet I agree with every negative take," to now "I was triggered by this movie and they did it on purpose to get attention!"

The overblown controversy can't be just that; overblown. Lots of others said it probably would be and yet, people couldn't help themselves. And so now of course that has to have been done intentionally to those people because it's obviously not their responsibility how they react to regular casting information from a movie studio.

You know, tho, you may be on to people stirring up controversy for attention, but I don't think you should be looking into Nolan and his marketing team. Maybe look into the people who have been screaming about being triggered the loudest on social media. Seems like they benefited quite a bit from the overblown controversy.
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Backyard Gator said:

Sapper Redux said:

Backyard Gator said:


What are you trying to 'win'?

You don't think it is possible that Nolan leaked the casting of Nyong'o and Page, knowing it would stir up controversy, and get people talking about his movie?

Yeah. A Christopher Nolan version of the Odyssey starring half of the Hollywood A-list was really going to be hurting for attention without drumming up conservative outrage. This argument means conservatives are useful idiots and woke actually helps the box office.

If the mere presence of A-list actors was enough to guarantee viewership, the Oscars wouldn't be down in the dumps.

The fact that you can't fathom someone using controversy as a marketing strategy is precisely why people do it.


I hear what you're saying, and yes, studios use third-party companies to farm fake word of mouth for their movies. But you can't compare Christopher Nolan making The Odyssey to the self-congratulatory virtue-signaling 4+ hour Oscar broadcast.

In this case, it was Christopher Nolan, the preeminent director in Hollywood today (who's movies are loved by those on both sides of the political isle). He's a legit box office draw on his name alone. Then you add the fact that he's filming THE most prominent historical mythological epic of all time. Finally, you add the casting of a known-actor in every role. This movie was bound to print money as soon as it was conceived in Nolan's head. Heck, IMAX showings were sold out A YEAR AGO for the first month or so of its release.

No legit person online was claiming prerelease that this movie would be a flop, and none of them are claiming now that the "woke" controversy was stirred up intentionally by the studio to generate interest in the movie.
Backyard Gator
How long do you want to ignore this user?

You're crediting me with a lot of opinions I don't hold and expending energy that doesn't exist.

Judging from the reactions in this thread, a lot of people were triggered by suggestions a Nolan movie would flop, and they're still processing their trauma even now.
SECcess12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Backyard Gator said:


You're crediting me with a lot of opinions I don't hold and expending energy that doesn't exist.

Judging from the reactions in this thread, a lot of people were triggered by suggestions a Nolan movie would flop, and they're still processing their trauma even now.


Is that like continuing to share trolling tweets and negative opinions of a movie that has been deemed extremely successful from box office standards?
Backyard Gator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SECcess12 said:

Backyard Gator said:


You're crediting me with a lot of opinions I don't hold and expending energy that doesn't exist.

Judging from the reactions in this thread, a lot of people were triggered by suggestions a Nolan movie would flop, and they're still processing their trauma even now.


Is that like continuing to share trolling tweets and negative opinions of a movie that has been deemed extremely successful from box office standards?


This is a thread to discuss the movie, is it not?

Are only positive opinions of the movie allowed?

Plenty of other posters post tweets about box office or positive opinions, so posting a tweet I find humorous is appropriate.

veryfuller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
"Here's how I'd probably feel about the movie too!"

"Here's why I'm definitely not going to see it!"

"Another perspective with great insight although I haven't seen it so I'm not sure how it really applies"

This is not discussion.
BCG Disciple
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw it last night. Enjoyed it.

I noticed the wokeness, but didn't find it too distracting. Juno is too known for it not to be a distraction. Or maybe it's me. I was wondering how they would portray young Juno, but it appears they chose a boy actor.

Helen and Clytemnestra casting was much more noticeable. Massive eye roll.
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Backyard Gator said:

M.C. Swag said:

Backyard Gator said:


What are you trying to 'win'?

You don't think it is possible that Nolan leaked the casting of Nyong'o and Page, knowing it would stir up controversy, and get people talking about his movie?


Lol so you were a useful idiot? That's the new angle? lol Nolan incepted the fragile egos of men on the far right to smuggle free promo?


Yup, Nolan really got me. I was so up in arms ANGREH about his casting decisions that I posted nothing about his movie online until I came to this thread.

You Nolan fanboys are too much.

Backyard Gator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
veryfuller said:

"Here's how I'd probably feel about the movie too!"

"Here's why I'm definitely not going to see it!"

"Another perspective with great insight although I haven't seen it so I'm not sure how it really applies"

This is not discussion.

Can you show me where I posted any of those three statements on this thread? kthx.
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Backyard Gator said:

M.C. Swag said:

Backyard Gator said:


What are you trying to 'win'?

You don't think it is possible that Nolan leaked the casting of Nyong'o and Page, knowing it would stir up controversy, and get people talking about his movie?


Lol so you were a useful idiot? That's the new angle? lol Nolan incepted the fragile egos of men on the far right to smuggle free promo?


Yup, Nolan really got me. I was so up in arms ANGREH about his casting decisions that I posted nothing about his movie online until I came to this thread.

You Nolan fanboys are too much.


lol great, I'm relieved that you're not angry and only posting online on this website.
Sapper Redux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Backyard Gator said:


You're crediting me with a lot of opinions I don't hold and expending energy that doesn't exist.

Judging from the reactions in this thread, a lot of people were triggered by suggestions a Nolan movie would flop, and they're still processing their trauma even now.

dmart90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BCG Disciple said:

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it.

I noticed the wokeness, but didn't find it too distracting. Juno is too known for it not to be a distraction. Or maybe it's me. I was wondering how they would portray young Juno, but it appears they chose a boy actor.

Helen and Clytemnestra casting was much more noticeable. Massive eye roll.

I think the controversy around Helen being played by a black actress was totally overblown. She was fine.

I still don't get the love for Robert Pattinson. He's such a one dimensional actor, IMHO.
FancyKetchup14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ah man I feel the complete opposite. Good Time, Tenet, The Drama, Batman, and this have all been awesome and fairly unique roles.
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't get that, at all. I've been enjoying him in all his roles, over the last 5 years. Have you seen the Lighthouse? He holds his own fantastically with Willem Defoe, who is unhinged in that movie.
veryfuller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
His performance in The Drama is such a tight rope walk and he nails it. He is the best actor of that age range, IMHO.
StinkyPinky
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Ah man I feel the complete opposite. Good Time, Tenet, The Drama, Batman, and this have all been awesome and fairly unique roles.
All you have to do is watch Good Time to appreciate his complete range. This fully rebuttals the one dimension argument. And a good movie to boot.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG



TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS said:





These were likely all pre purchased tickets before Matt Walsh's review. And Imax being 3x the price. I'll be interested to see how it does once we get past all that.

/theusualsuspects
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We got people pretending there weren't repeated posts this would flop, and lots of links to the same effect.
Crazy
Backyard Gator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS said:



Are they criticizing the subreddit or the writer/social media personality?
Aggie_Journalist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:



Just wait til Spider-Man comes out
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Both. Mainly the subreddit, but it's a subreddit full of the types of spiteful, deranged chuds someone like the Critical Drinker attracts.
Backyard Gator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS said:

Both. Mainly the subreddit, but it's a subreddit full of the types of spiteful, deranged chuds someone like the Critical Drinker attracts.


Unless you're a hardcore leftist, reddit isn't the place to go for rational takes on anything. I used to frequent the college football sub on there, but even on there, they let politics infect everything.
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Backyard Gator said:

TCTTS said:

Both. Mainly the subreddit, but it's a subreddit full of the types of spiteful, deranged chuds someone like the Critical Drinker attracts.


Unless you're a hardcore leftist, reddit isn't the place to go for rationale takes on anything. I used to frequent the college football sub on there, but even on there, they let politics infect everything.


Interesting. Sounds like somewhere else I know
210
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw the movie today, enjoyed it, especially the second half.

It's funny, with all the faux twitter outrage over some of the casting choices, the one casting that actually distracted me from the movie a bit was John Leguizamo. I just could not take him seriously in that role.
Madmarttigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Backyard Gator said:

TCTTS said:

Both. Mainly the subreddit, but it's a subreddit full of the types of spiteful, deranged chuds someone like the Critical Drinker attracts.


Unless you're a hardcore leftist, reddit isn't the place to go for rationale takes on anything. I used to frequent the college football sub on there, but even on there, they let politics infect everything.


Interesting. Sounds like somewhere else I know


It's giving me whiplash when I swap between Reddit and Texags.
Rigs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Almost to page 125! Will it get to 150?

(Remember when there was a point we though it might top out at 80?)
dmart90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Ah man I feel the complete opposite. Good Time, Tenet, The Drama, Batman, and this have all been awesome and fairly unique roles.

Of that list, I've only seen part of The Batman. What a terrible movie.

I guess I'll try the others. I hold out little hope.
Rigs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Of that list, I've only seen part of The Batman. What a terrible movie.
What are you even talking about?

He was very good in The Batman, which is why that movie got 85% from critics, 87% from regular people on Rotten Tomatoes, and made over $775M.
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like The Batman more than the Nolan trilogy. It's really grown on me.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it's a better take on the character overall, really curious to see what they do in the second film.
Rigs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

I like The Batman more than the Nolan trilogy. It's really grown on me.
I mean, the Nolan films, especially the last 2, were extremely praised, other than being too long, and the egregious crime of thinking Maggie Gyllenhall could be a replacement for Katie Holmes.

You absolutely don't get mid-90%s on Rotten Tomatoes easily.

First Page Last Page
Page 124 of 132 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.