Apollo 13: Survival (Netflix)

3,073 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by scd88
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm pretty excited for this one. Ron Howard's Apollo 13 is probably my favorite movie of all time. It came out at a pivotal time in my life and helped nudge me down the engineering path. I think it's still a masterpiece today, and it would be hard to really improve it.

It's amazing how the movie stayed very true to the real life story. It was such an incredible narrative that it didn't need a lot of dramatic flair. I'm looking forward to seeing some real-life footage that we may have never seen before.

BadMoonRisin
AG
Wow, so in! Thanks for posting.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Apollo 13 is probably my favorite movie of all time. It came out at a pivotal time in my life and helped nudge me down the engineering path.
Hope you still know how to use a slide rule. I was a business major (class of '80) and I learned thanks to the Air Force.

Great film, looking forward to Apollo 13 : Survival.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
One of my favorite movies. I will watch this Netflix show.
double aught
AG
Apollo 13 is indeed a great movie. I read the book recently, and it's very good too. I'm sure this will be right in there with them.

Sounds like there is interview footage with Jim Lovell. How great that he and Fred Hanse are both still with us. Hopefully they both provide insight in this.
CyanideJenkins
AG
Looking forward to this!

Also, not to derail the thread, but if you haven't seen the documentary Apollo 11 from 2019, I highly recommend it.
agracer
AG
I lived in Clear Lake in 1977 and our next door neighbor was a Nasa scientist/engineer. I was only 7 at the time so don't remember all the details, but he had some great stories about Nasa and the space program.
LMCane
now imagine that the computing power on a phone is more than the entire NASA program had to support Apollo going to the moon
Furlock Bones
AG
LMCane said:

now imagine that the computing power on a phone is more than the entire NASA program had to support Apollo going to the moon
we do not have to imagine it. we have recorded history to show us.
aTmAg
AG
My only knock of Apollo 13 (movie) is that I think they screwed up the launch. They showed only smoke coming out of the engines at first and then they had one of the disconnect arms in the way of the rocket. To this day that annoys me whenever I rewatch.
Apache
AG
Had the privilege of listening to Fred Haise speak at NASA in Houston about 5 years ago to a group of our Scouts. Sharp as a tack in his mid 80's (Biden take note lol) and very engaging with the boys.
Amazing he went from a Mississippi junior college with a journalism degree all the way to astronaut!
double aught
AG
I wonder how often those two regret not being able to walk on the freakin' moon. To make it through all of that competition and training and have it snatched from you at the end. How do you deal with disappointment while at the same time being grateful for surviving the ordeal? I guess you come to terms with it over time.
Aggie Therapist
AG
That's a lot to process. We have to learn not to ruminate on "what if or what could have been" and move forward in life.

Easier said than done. Something that sudden and traumatic is bound to be emotionally painful and difficult to process. Hopefully they were able to come to terms with the ordeal eventually. With that being said, Apollo 13 is one of the most iconic missions of all time because of the ability of NASA engineers, Astronauts and leadership able to come together and return to earth safely.

There is something special about that itself.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I enjoyed it.

Nice to see so much original footage - I think you could see the human element a lot more than other documentaries I've seen. You could see how the seriousness of the situation as it weighed on the flight controllers, astronauts, and their families. The Apollo 11 documentary from a few years ago gave a similar glimpse, but the tone was obviously different.
Rudyjax
AG
aTmAg said:

My only knock of Apollo 13 (movie) is that I think they screwed up the launch. They showed only smoke coming out of the engines at first and then they had one of the disconnect arms in the way of the rocket. To this day that annoys me whenever I rewatch.

Jim Loville on the DVD commentary said he thought it was footage from the actual launch.

Go figure.
Rudyjax
AG
I was at a party in College Station and it was someone's parents house and they had an original earth rise photo signed by Jim Loville, Frank Borman, and William Anders.

I was a huge space nerd at the time and sat there for 20 minutes contemplating stealing it. The good Angel won.

And today I have direct report that thinks landing on the moon was a govt. conspiracy.

Her only reason is she doesn't trust the govt and it looks hokey.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That was a good show. Great footage of the launch, and several shots of the damaged ship. Loved hearing the actual people talking about how the felt during these events.

With regard to Ron Howard's movie, I think casting Ed Harris as Gene Kranz was great, Harris at least looked a good bit like him. But gee Gary Sinise as Ken Mattingly, from the footage Mattingly was balding whereas Sinise had a full head of hair.
Rudyjax
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

That was a good show. Great footage of the launch, and several shots of the damaged ship. Loved hearing the actual people talking about how the felt during these events.

With regard to Ron Howard's movie, I think casting Ed Harris as Gene Kranz was great, Harris at least looked a good bit like him. But gee Gary Sinise as Ken Mattingly, from the footage Mattingly was balding whereas Sinise had a full head of hair.

Kevin Costner looks a heck of a lot more like Jim Loville than Tom Hanks did.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
True about Hanks.
TXAG 05
AG
Rudyjax said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

It's Lovell, not Loville
Rudyjax
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Rudyjax said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

It's Lovell, not Loville
Sorry. I knew that.
Rudyjax
AG
Fun Fact: Apollo 13 mission was in 1970. The movie came out in 1994. 24 years difference.

We're 30 years past 1994.

wangus12
AG
Apache said:

Had the privilege of listening to Fred Haise speak at NASA in Houston about 5 years ago to a group of our Scouts. Sharp as a tack in his mid 80's (Biden take note lol) and very engaging with the boys.
Amazing he went from a Mississippi junior college with a journalism degree all the way to astronaut!
Saw him speak 2 or 3 years ago in Dallas. Got a signed copy of his book. He was awesome
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Except the movie came out in 1995.

But your point still applies.
Rudyjax
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Except the movie came out in 1995.

But your point still applies.
****, i'm just a moron.
LMCane
it's a fantastic documentary. I love it.

a lot of tension created by the film makers even though we all know how the ending turned out.

then you think about this.

as a decent human being-

why should the USA and the entire world care more about 3 astronauts- than the literal hundreds of thousands of Americans dying from Fentanyl in the last few years?

other than prestige- what is the difference?

Rudyjax
AG
Surely you know the answer and you're just trolling, right ?

aTmAg
AG
Rudyjax said:

aTmAg said:

Jim Loville on the DVD commentary said he thought it was footage from the actual launch.

Go figure.
Which makes no sense. As the footage are nothing like the original footage. They didn't have cameras flying down the side of the Saturn V. Nor did the disconnect arms separate at different times (just as the flying camera approached). He would know all of this better than me.

Seems to me he was just pumping up the movie.
Rudyjax
AG
aTmAg said:

Rudyjax said:

aTmAg said:

Go figure.
Which makes no sense. As the footage are nothing like the original footage. They didn't have cameras flying down the side of the Saturn V. Nor did the disconnect arms separate at different times (just as the flying camera approached). He would know all of this better than me.

He said that. He also thought Ron edited original.
aTmAg
AG
Rudyjax said:

aTmAg said:

Rudyjax said:

aTmAg said:

Go figure.

How would they edit the original footage to have a camera zoom down the side of the rocket?
Rudyjax
AG
aTmAg said:

Rudyjax said:

aTmAg said:

Rudyjax said:

aTmAg said:

Go figure.

How would they edit the original footage to have a camera zoom down the side of the rocket?
I don't know.

aTmAg
AG
Rudyjax said:

aTmAg said:

Rudyjax said:

aTmAg said:

Rudyjax said:

aTmAg said:

Go figure.

I don't know.
Well.. anyway. I always found the launch scene in Apollo 13 lacking. Less so in how the rocket itself looks, but more in the decision of camera angles and stuff. Why put a CGI camera behind the disconnect arm so that you can't see the freaking rocket?
bonfarr
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

Apollo 13 is probably my favorite movie of all time. It came out at a pivotal time in my life and helped nudge me down the engineering path.
Hope you still know how to use a slide rule. I was a business major (class of '80) and I learned thanks to the Air Force.

Great film, looking forward to Apollo 13 : Survival.

My dad used to joke that back in his day the College girls went after the guys walking around with the big slide rule.
Bunk Moreland
This documentary was perfect.
Max Power
AG
That movie was...

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.