***THE BEAR SEASON 3 SPOILER THREAD***

10,196 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MW03
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OCEN99 said:

All you TK fans definitely need to finish the season

And John Cena as a Fak bro killed me.
Finished this ep last night and that cameo was absolute gold. Not sure I stopped laughing while he was onscreen

Tina's backstory episode was really great too.
Scotty Flamingo
There were some great episodes, but as a whole I just did not enjoy this season.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I thought there were some individually great episodes this season that showcased phenomenal acting (like JLC in "Ice Chips"), but as a whole, I think I hated this season. I hated it because the lack of direction to the story and I absolutely hated that finale. It felt like they were stalling for time. Like a teenager trying to hit a word count on a school paper. Shots that were dragged out sooo long. Conversations that just seemed to never end. Those things were obviously there in the first 2 seasons, but much less frequent. What even happened this season? I couldn't really give you a cohesive synopsis for this season. "Carm is still anxious and hasn't addressed what he said to Claire. Syd is questioning her place. The Bear has significant financial issues." That's all I got. It was like a single episode worth of plot progression.

And while I love the occasional chef cameo, to have your entire finale be just a bunch of non-actors monologuing was quite the choice.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
concac
AG
I hated the back and forth dialogue between the Faks. Just a bunch of word vomit.
PatAg
AG
the two Faks are great, no slander!
Joan Wilder
AG
Absolutely loved Tina's backstory episode. The ways that the grief over Mikey's death hits all of them out of the blue at times is so real and painful.

While I do love them, I think the season was a little too Fak-forward. Nothing makes me laugh harder than the baseball card scene with Mulaney from season 2, but I think they're better in smaller doses. The whole "haunting" thing was odd.

The scenes with the chef from French Laundry and Olivia Colman were so lovely. Carmy was mentored by talented, nurturing and supportive chefs who created work environments where people thrived and enjoyed their time at the restaurant. But he ends up modeling the toxic behavior of his mom and Joel McHale, driving people who love him and The Bear away.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I think Marcus is slowly aging into Clay Davis. If they do a prequel of The Wire, they should grab him.
JYDog90
AG
https://www.jcrew.com/feature/the-bear-x-jcrew
Formerly Willy Wonka
Max Power
AG
Me every time Gillian Jacobs shows up:

chiken
AG
I binged all 3 series this weekend because I thought I could see it all on HULU. Now I have to WAIT for 4 to be released?

BROWN ANGER
Know Your Enemy
AG
Yeah, this season was a disappointment.
BadMoonRisin
AG
https://slate.com/culture/2024/06/the-bear-season-3-fx-hulu-bad.html

This is where I am at.

I loved the first two seasons and it was one of the most compelling character-driven narrative shows on TV ever, and I agree with TC on this -- season 3...what the hell happens? Nothing...

Which is actually the antithesis of the "non-negotiables" theme of the first episode that requires an ever-changing menu.

Quote:

Most glaring are all the ways that the show's aimlessness has become purposefully embedded into both its content and its form. The incessant use of flashbacks feels like a crutch to avoid characters or the show itself actually moving forward, in any direction. Dribbling out details of a character's past like breadcrumbs is a hackish and tiresome device: Filling in backstory shouldn't be confused with character development. Multiple characters have become increasingly defined by their inability to make decisionsleaving aside that this isn't a particularly compelling trait, it also conveniently gives the show yet another way to avoid anything actually happening.

The absence of well-drawn story or characters means that the show has to rely on gimmicky tricks to achieve any semblance of emotional payoff. The most noxious of these is the aforementioned near-constant underscoring, always with music that none of the characters in the show would ever listen to.
[emphasis mine]

The music is actually one of the more endearing parts of the show (whoever picked the soundtrack of this show deserves some kind of award), but it all falls apart in season three as there is no coherence to either the story or character development.

This show was first of all a character driven show -- season 3 completely abandons this, in my opinion.

Chris Storer got high on his own supply or sniffed too many of his own farts.

Im not surprised that they paused the back-to-back filming of season 3/4. I think they got some feedback that they bust through a guardrail that they didnt intend to and are facing pushback that has the show runners now teetering on cancellation rather than an blank-check-renewal to whenever they decide to end the series on their own accord and exactly how they want to.

Because the show, as it is now, is just not very good.
Bockaneer
AG
Peprish the thought bc cancelllation would suck- already invested 3 seasons… would they do it w a wrap up movie at least?
TCTTS
AG
It's already officially been picked up for a fourth (and almost assuredly final) season.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Am I mistaken that they stopped the back to back filming of 3/4?

I thought I read that from one of your posts.
TCTTS
AG
Correct, they ultimately decided against filming three and four back to back due to the season four scripts not being ready in time (the cast has a ton of other things to shoot, starting this month, so they could no longer squeeze it in). But season four still got the green light and will now presumably shoot in February, when all other seasons started filming.
Rudyjax
AG
Btw: I saw a clip on TikTok with an interview with the actors and the guy that plays Richie is NOTHING like Richie. Dude is a great actor.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Great, thanks. So we are still looking at a mid-June '25 release again.

Man, I am so bummed. I have tried re-watching season 3 again and just cant come around to liking it.

I guess that's how art is sometimes.
Rudyjax
AG
I think there were 3 really good episodes.

Maria backstory.
Sugar having the baby.
The last episode.

TCTTS
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

https://slate.com/culture/2024/06/the-bear-season-3-fx-hulu-bad.html

This is where I am at.

I loved the first two seasons and it was one of the most compelling character-driven narrative shows on TV ever, and I agree with TC on this -- season 3...what the hell happens? Nothing...

Which is actually the antithesis of the "non-negotiables" theme of the first episode that requires an ever-changing menu.

Quote:

Most glaring are all the ways that the show's aimlessness has become purposefully embedded into both its content and its form. The incessant use of flashbacks feels like a crutch to avoid characters or the show itself actually moving forward, in any direction. Dribbling out details of a character's past like breadcrumbs is a hackish and tiresome device: Filling in backstory shouldn't be confused with character development. Multiple characters have become increasingly defined by their inability to make decisionsleaving aside that this isn't a particularly compelling trait, it also conveniently gives the show yet another way to avoid anything actually happening.

The absence of well-drawn story or characters means that the show has to rely on gimmicky tricks to achieve any semblance of emotional payoff. The most noxious of these is the aforementioned near-constant underscoring, always with music that none of the characters in the show would ever listen to.
[emphasis mine]

The music is actually one of the more endearing parts of the show (whoever picked the soundtrack of this show deserves some kind of award), but it all falls apart in season three as there is no coherence to either the story or character development.

This show was first of all a character driven show -- season 3 completely abandons this, in my opinion.

Chris Storer got high on his own supply or sniffed too many of his own farts.

Im not surprised that they paused the back-to-back filming of season 3/4. I think they got some feedback that they bust through a guardrail that they didnt intend to and are facing pushback that has the show runners now teetering on cancellation rather than an blank-check-renewal to whenever they decide to end the series on their own accord and exactly how they want to.

Because the show, as it is now, is just not very good.

While I'm sure this was partly a factor, I really don't think it was a driving force.

Again, Storer had a three-season arc in mind that he knew from the jump. The "problem" was that, after season two, the show became too popular to not try and milk it for all it's worth, thus the decision to split season three into two seasons, which was almost assuredly an FX suggestion.

However, the "back-to-back" decision tells us everything we need to know, in that, deep down, the filmmakers probably knew it was a bad creative decision, hence trying to follow season three so soon with season four (which I imagine would have come out at some point in the fall had they been able to pull it off). In short, they knew the new season three would feel incomplete, so they were trying to rush a season four as close as they could after.

But imagine if the season three we just watched had been only half the final season...

- There would have been way less water treading.

- Oliver Platt's character would have given his ultimatum (the review better be good or he has to pull the plug) in, say, episode three or four as opposed to episode nine, which would have given the season much-needed stakes way earlier.

- Ever closing, Carmy confronting Chef David at the dinner, the review dropping, etc, all would have presumably happened around episode five or so.

... which, altogether, would have made for a damn good first half of the final season.

In other words, I think it was less "smelling his own farts" and more "keeping his cast and crew employed for an additional season (especially after having not worked for months during the strikes), prolonging a once-in-a-lifetime experience, making FX happy, etc." The decisions this season, while, yes, pretentious at times, didn't feel born of out pretentiousness, if that makes sense. Rather, I think the pretentiousness was a byproduct of suddenly having to now fill space not with forward progress but rather with backstory and static, in terms of the characters feeling stuck, dwelling more than than would have on the past, putting off decisions they have to make, etc.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Well said. I appreciate the commentary

I'm just sad. This was one of my favorite shows, and it feels like they just kicked the **** out of my beloved dog.
TCTTS
AG
This whole back-to-back thing is officially confusing as hell at this point...

BadMoonRisin
AG
Wow. Really?
JYDog90
AG
Wouldn't we have heard this from someone else and way earlier than now?
Formerly Willy Wonka
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, one would think. That's why it's so confusing.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Just now getting around to finishing episode 9 because, well.....this season is bad. Its a total drag and my son, wife, and myself have had to push ourselves to slog through this far.

Boring. Excrutiatingly boring. And depressing. And annoying. At this point I'm not sure which characters I even like that much other than Tina and I suppose Marcus.

Too introspective. Too slow. And yes, too artsy-fartsy. I loved the first episode. But then the rest of the season was just flat out pretentious and boring and annoying. Yes, even the Faks. Sometimes especially the Faks.
Falcon74
AG
In my opinion Ice Chips did hit the mark. Curtis was nails. Gave me hope for the finish but nope.
boogieman
AG
They went too heavy on the Faks this season. They need to dial that back.
That being said, I have to know what Francie Fak did to piss of Sugar.
FancyKetchup14
AG
We finished the season last night and gotta relate to a lot of the sentiment in this thread so far: the season just kinda fell flat. After a few episodes we were sitting there asking each other what the point of the whole season is and it just didn't have much of a solid plot line to follow.

I thought the hospital episode was nice, the Napkins scene with Tina and Mikey was great. I really liked the first episode and getting Carmy's story more fleshed out before Chicago. But they had way too much of the Faks. I love Matty Matheson, but he can be annoying as **** in this show sometimes. And in the final episode when all those real chefs were sitting around talking it felt like I was watching a Netflix-produced chef's roundtable vs what I had gotten used to.

One thing I wish they had done is at the end of the finale, when Syd is having her panic attack, we hear footsteps coming up the stairs and it's Carmy showing up late and chewing Nicorette. He calms her down, and he realizes he's become the last thing he thought he'd turn out to be, and he and Syd finally have that talk she's been putting off. Then you can either go in one of two directions: she quits and goes to the other guy (I don't think that happens), leaving Carmy dejected, or she decides The Bear is what she wants and stays. Then he hears his phone buzz and they read the bad review together.

I love this show and what it's created, but 70% of this season felt like unnecessary fluff.
cr06gis
AG
Also finished last night. Agree with alot of yall

Felt like a 10 episode recap. I loved this show, hope season 4 gets us back to what made it great.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I'm sitting here listening to The Show Goes On by Bruce Hornsby and it reminded me this song was the intro to one of last season's episodes. It reminded me how hopeful this show was through the first two seasons. I don't expect the show to be Ted Lasso by any means, but even when showing the anxiety of running a restaurant or episodes like Fishes there was still a hopeful positivity to this show that made it a joy to watch.

I get that Season 3 had to explore the deep anxieties of Carmy and Sydney as they actually opened the restaurant, but I feel like the show lost its way to a certain degree. And man do I really hope they find it again because if not this show may go down as one of the biggest wastes of potential in a long time.
JCA1
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

I'm sitting here listening to The Show Goes On by Bruce Hornsby and it reminded me this song was the intro to one of last season's episodes. It reminded me how hopeful this show was through the first two seasons. I don't expect the show to be Ted Lasso by any means, but even when showing the anxiety of running a restaurant or episodes like Fishes there was still a hopeful positivity to this show that made it a joy to watch.

I get that Season 3 had to explore the deep anxieties of Carmy and Sydney as they actually opened the restaurant, but I feel like the show lost its way to a certain degree. And man do I really hope they find it again because if not this show may go down as one of the biggest wastes of potential in a long time.
I still have a couple episodes to go, but agree with this.

The show always produced a lot of tension/anxiety but the lack of a story arc this season seems to have delivered nothing but that. Everyone at everyone's throat constantly and for painfully long durations. Just a constant barrage of screams and F bombs. To the point that my wife asked that I not watch it in bed while she's trying to go to sleep. Literally the first show she's ever requested that for in 20 years.

I'll finish the season (apparently in the living room) and watch the next but this has been a pretty big letdown.

Lathspell
AG
Finally finished the season. I started it when it first dropped, and slowed down on it until tonight. It definitely felt we got about 4-5 episodes worth of story across 10 episodes. Much of these season definitely felted stretched. "Like butter scraped over too much bread."

Still a lot of great acting and some good scenes. Hopefully they tighten things up in the final season.
Another Doug
AG
That season was terrible… just awful. Acting was good I guess, just story is nonsensical, ten episodes of hey remember those two good episodes last season? Well watch us beat that dead horse until you are sick of it. Another thing every song choice is like 10-15 years too old for all the characters except Oliver Platt and JLC.

Speaking of JLC, holy **** that episode should've been called "guess what ****ers, JLC is old now, and we are going to zoom in with the macro lens so you don't forget it". I expect in season 4 she will be recast with the crypt keeper.

Also, I am surprised that restaurant at the end decided to close without checking with their most important employee ever, Richie, you know the guy that was there for 5 days and *****ed about it for the first 3.5 days. loved that the out of business party of a famous restaurant that probably had 50 employees, was attended by 1 or 2 staff members at a random girls apartment that is probably a 30 minute train ride away.

Lastly, stop trying to make haunt happen, it's not going to happen.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Finally finished this season - still pretty good TV but the fact that it took me a month to finish means this season was wayyyyy below the first two. Can't remember if I read it earlier on this thread or somewhere on Reddit, but season 3 just wanted to smell its farts too much.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.