***THE BEAR SEASON 3 SPOILER THREAD***

10,188 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MW03
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Only watched episode one so far and these aren't really spoiler thoughts, but figured I'd go ahead and start the spoiler thread.

The first minute or two of the show really threw my wife, she had no idea what was going on and what they were trying to do, lol.

After maybe 5 to 10 minutes I started thinking "okay, when are they going to advance forward to present day and start just regular storytelling?"

By the time the episode was over, I thought it was brilliant.

In my whole 40 some odd years of TV viewing I don't think I've seen a recap episode like that, except this wasn't just to recap the last episode or even last season. How they were able to recap most of Carmi's life, even stuff we haven't seen before, to explain how and why Carmi is like he is now, and fit it all in a 30 to 40 minute episode was brilliant.

And the fact that you picked up virtually all of that through visual clues and not through "on-the-nose" narrator or character dialogue....well, that's why this is possibly the best show on tv currently and very well may go down as one of the best in tv history when it finally ends. I still think about Forks from last season and how incredible it was. I think this episode will have the same effect on me.
EclipseAg
AG
Great episode, even if it took me awhile to figure out what was happening.

I'm a huge fan of Thomas Keller, so I absolutely loved the references to The French Laundry. It certainly looked like they filmed some of the episode there, especially the scenes in the culinary garden but perhaps in the kitchen, too. Either that or it was a very good mock-up.

"The Bear" is one of those shows that really digs deep into what it's like to work in a certain profession -- i.e. "Mad Men" -- which always captures my attention. I've never been a professional chef but the show does such a great job of exploring the challenges and pain involved in seeking excellence.

FL_Ag1998
AG
Agreed, I could watch a whole episode of just the food prep scenes, as weird as that may sound.
EclipseAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Agreed, I could watch a whole episode of just the food prep scenes, as weird as that may sound.
In the fall, I had the opportunity to go back in the kitchen at TFL and meet Chef Keller. It was exactly like the show portrays -- very quiet, with serious-looking people using tweezers and other small instruments to craft these beautiful dishes.
FL_Ag1998
AG
What an awesome experience
walton91
Carm was working on a recipe or writing when I noticed his French Laundry chef's coat then thought "aw, he's getting inspiration from wearing his old chef's coat" before I realized what was happening. Then I just kept hoping they continued that way for the whole episode. Gotta admit, when he ignored Joel McHale and served his original recipe, which then ended up in front of Syd, I got a bit choked up getting to watch the original connection between those two. The more I think about it, it was such a brilliant episode, unlike any I had seen before.
JYDog90
AG
I'm starting on it tonight. I'm a little apprehensive because the season trailers look really dark...having said that, I can't wait!
Formerly Willy Wonka
EclipseAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

What an awesome experience
Yep. I feel very fortunate.

The food was pretty good, too.
OCEN99
AG
All you TK fans definitely need to finish the season

And John Cena as a Fak bro killed me.
PatAg
AG
Only real criticism I have is I don't think they did a very good job actually advancing any of the story lines much.
But I really enjoyed every episode , abd they were written, shot, and acted so well I'm not sure I care that much
rmp15
AG
Similar thoughts as others on the show. Think each episode itself is great, especially I think Episode 1 was brilliant. Just grew a little frustrated by the end with not progressing and no resolution between Carmy and either of Claire, Syd, or Richie.

Makes sense why they were wanting to shoot season 3 & 4 back to back. I'm sure this season will play a lot better when you have the likely payoff in season 4 to go straight into
PatAg
AG
rmp15 said:

Similar thoughts as others on the show. Think each episode itself is great, especially I think Episode 1 was brilliant. Just grew a little frustrated by the end with not progressing and no resolution between Carmy and either of Claire, Syd, or Richie.

Makes sense why they were wanting to shoot season 3 & 4 back to back. I'm sure this season will play a lot better when you have the likely payoff in season 4 to go straight into
It did provide a lot of backstory and expansion of characters stories.
Another Doug
AG
IMO, episode one was pretentious crap. Win an Emmy and all the sudden tv show runner thinks they're Fellini.
Max Power
AG
Even though this is a spoilers thread I'll spoiler protect this question since it's at the end of episode 9.

I could totally be seeing this the wrong way but I rewatched the ending a few times and I wanted to see if others saw what I thought I saw. On the table was the card of Jesus that I think was handed out at Marcus's mom's funeral. Also on the table appeared to be a couple of what I thought looked like bloody tissues. If that is indeed what they were I'm guessing they're implying he has lung cancer, hence quitting smoking, and not for the other reasons he's been saying. Anyway I could be wrong but couldn't say with certainty what I saw so I was curious if anyone else knows definitively what was there.

I thought the last episode was great for both Carmine and Sydney. Carmine realizing he's not Thomas Keller, he's Joel McHale's character. He's driven himself mad demanding perfection and doesn't run a kitchen like Thomas Keller, he doesn't cook to nourish anyone but himself. Sydney having a panic attack was crushing. Feels like she made her choice after the dinner and after party at her place.
EclipseAg
AG
Overall I thought this season was disappointing.

Some of the backstory episodes seem like overkill ... too much time spent hammering home a point that could be made in three or four minutes. Same with the Fak interactions. Those guys are funny in small doses but a little goes a long way.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Through four and outside of episode 3, they've all been kinda meh to me. Still good tv and better than almost anything out there but it just feels a little subpar compared to prior seasons. I know the Bear subReddit is sh/tting all over this season, now I can (kinda) see why.
TCTTS
AG
Just finished the season, and yeah, while it's still better than 95% of everything else on TV, I also thought it was unfortunately the weakest season of the series so far. Again, it was damn good overall, I will never not love the vibe, being with these characters, the soundtrack, etc, but...

- Season one featured a very clear-cut goal… whip the crew into shape, come together as a team, and save the restaurant/make it the very best version of itself.

- While season two was somehow even more clear-cut… open The Bear 2.0, an even more audacious task, one that allowed the show to take certain chances/detours that delivered in spades.

- Yet season three was just… earn a star? Even though no one but Carmy really cared and they hardly ever talked about it? I guess it could be argued that the goal was also "don't go under"/"get a good review" but the ultimatums for each didn't come up until so far into the season that they didn't really resonate until it was too late.

I don't know, this season just lacked that singular goal/focus everyone (including the audience) could rally behind, and without that spine running through every episode, the whole thing felt a bit aimless. That, and outside of the first episode + the final fantastic 10 minutes or so of Napkins (the Tina episode), nothing really stood out in the way numerous season two episodes did. Other than the hospital episode which, while poignant, also made me want to pull my hair out from the extreme closeups, in what felt like an eternity at one claustrophobic location (the hospital bed).

I'm also in agreement that it's obvious now that seasons three and four are just an expanded version of the original season three plan, as there were a number of relatively thin episodes this seasons, where arguments/conversations went on way longer than they had to, nothing really happened, etc. Yes, we went deeper, which was fulfilling at times, but without going forward as well, it felt a bit too much like a water treading season.
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, as much as I love this show, and as much as I'm ready for the fourth (and almost assuredly final) season, I cannot wait for Christopher Storer to start doing films, a couple of which he currently has in development. Despite my luke warm opinion of this season, I really do feel like he has that Scorsese/Safdie Brothers juice, but with more heart, and has at least the chance to be a truly great filmmaker.
TCTTS
AG
AgTrip
This season had some great moments but overall, I wasn't too into it like the other seasons. Fak is really annoying and as mentioned above, way too much focus on him and his dorky buddy. Also, Fak is not the person you want to be in front of the house in my opinion for a fancy restaurant. I wouldn't be too impressed with a face/neck tatted bouncer type running around dropping Fbombs all over.

That's another thing that irritated me. They yell F you so many times in that kitchen and it's a small dining area. If I heard that over and over, I'd be out of there. Show some class if you want to be a classy place to eat. I don't know, stuff like annoyed me and I was ready for it to be over. Loved the episode when Tina got hired at Beef!!!
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Detective from Dexter
TCTTS
AG
InternetFan02
AG
Finished it. Loved it. I wonder if they just plowed ahead and finished the 3 season original plan without knowing if it would be renewed for season 4 if it would have been better? Is there a thing where great shows actually get worse when they get renewed for multiple seasons and the creators have some breathing room? (mad men always ended like a series finale until I think Weiner got seasons 6 and 7 guaranteed and it fell off a little)

For me I loved all the extra time they spent with the characters and I want to be in this world as much as possible.

We all need people like the Faks in our lives. But too much faks at the expense of others this season. So glad we got the extended episodes with Tina and Sugar.

I realized the flashbacks to Richie before the tragedies were hitting me like Manchester by the sea similar plot/style one of my favorite sad movies. Just joyous and devastating when they show him in his element with Mikey. Looking for more Richie and tiff next season to have some moments.
EclipseAg
AG
AgTrip said:

Also, Fak is not the person you want to be in front of the house in my opinion for a fancy restaurant. I wouldn't be too impressed with a face/neck tatted bouncer type running around dropping Fbombs all over.

I was gonna say this in my post, too. In real life, The Bear would never be successful until Carmy cleaned house and replaced all his friends and relatives.
PatAg
AG
good thing its a tv show
and people would be very surprised to learn what back of the house is like in restaurants if they have never worked one.
AgTrip
PatAg said:

good thing its a tv show
and people would be very surprised to learn what back of the house is like in restaurants if they have never worked one.
Back of house for sure, I've worked in back of house before. We're talking front of house. Also, as mentioned the wall between the kitchen and dining room is not that sound resistant. Hearing people screaming "F-you, no F-you!" and "fire the F'ing wagyu" over and over would turn me off to the place big time.
EclipseAg
AG

nm
PatAg
AG
AgTrip said:

PatAg said:

good thing its a tv show
Back of house for sure, I've worked in back of house before. We're talking front of house. Also, as mentioned the wall between the kitchen and dining room is not that sound resistant. Hearing people screaming "F-you, no F-you!" and "fire the F'ing wagyu" over and over would turn me off to the place big time.
People were talking about the kitchen as well.
and yea its a fictional tv show, its silly to pick this as the part that takes you out of the show, lol
AgTrip
PatAg said:

AgTrip said:

PatAg said:

good thing its a tv show
People were talking about the kitchen as well.
and yea its a fictional tv show, its silly to pick this as the part that takes you out of the show, lol
It's a fictional show about a fine dining establishment. We are commenting on Fak who is front of the house with Richie. He even tried to run food and botched it. I don't see what's silly about stating that he's annoying and shouldn't be up front dealing with the public. It's what he's doing.
InternetFan02
AG
InternetFan02 said:

Finished it. Loved it. I wonder if they just plowed ahead and finished the 3 season original plan without knowing if it would be renewed for season 4 if it would have been better? Is there a thing where great shows actually get worse when they get renewed for multiple seasons and the creators have some breathing room? (mad men always ended like a series finale until I think Weiner got seasons 6 and 7 guaranteed and it fell off a little)

For me I loved all the extra time they spent with the characters and I want to be in this world as much as possible.

We all need people like the Faks in our lives. But too much faks at the expense of others this season. So glad we got the extended episodes with Tina and Sugar.

I realized the flashbacks to Richie before the tragedies were hitting me like Manchester by the sea similar plot/style one of my favorite sad movies. Just joyous and devastating when they show him in his element with Mikey. Looking for more Richie and tiff next season to have some moments.
I got some validation for this take on the watch where Andy called out Mad Men season 6 as feeling similar to this where it's like they got stuck in a rut trying to extend the show. Maybe it would have been better if there were no guarantees for season 4 and they did the same frantic pace. But as a super fan I want as much time with these characters as possible even if it's less quality overall at the end and I felt the same with mad men. Worth the risk.
InternetFan02
AG
Here's a Mad Men vs The Bear character draft and its intriguing that Mad Men wins the top 2 spots for me but the Bear dominates the top 10

Don (mad men) > Carmy
Peggy (mad men) > Sydney
Richie (bear) >>> Pete
Sugar (bear) > Joan
Tiffany (bear) > Betty
Claire (bear) > Megan
Roger (mad men) > Uncle Jimmy
Trudy (mad men) > Pete
Fak (bear) > Kinsey or Ginsberg
Marcus (bear) > Ken
Tina (bear) > Harry
Christopher Storer (bear) > Matthew Weiner
EclipseAg
AG
"The Bear" at The French Laundry.

https://instagr.am/p/C88nluuxL1s

EclipseAg
AG
And that's a wrap ...

https://instagr.am/p/C88u2kiOGue
EclipseAg
AG
EclipseAg said:

"The Bear" at The French Laundry.

https://instagr.am/p/C88nluuxL1s

In case you don't click through, Chef Keller tells the story of "The Bear" creator Chris Storer coming to The French Laundry years ago to film a documentary called "Sense of Urgency," which was originally shown at the Culinary Institute of America and today is still used at TFL for onboarding.

Eleven years later, Storer was back at TFL to film "The Bear." The circle of life.

Rudyjax
AG
The most I got out of this is the only food I saw this season I wanted to eat was the Italian beef sandwich.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.