****All things METAL****

8,203 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by G.I.Bro
ThreeBee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The new High on Fire record is amazing!
tk for tu juan
To go with the rain for the past week

Leonard H. Stringfield

These kids were good...very talented. Would go again.
"Roswell, 1947, there was a uap (ufo) that crashed, in fact there were 2 uaps, 1 crashed and one flew away and the other one did not and was recovered by the US GOVERNMENT."
- Lue Elizondo-former director of the Pentagon's Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program-August 20, 2024

Are A&M's core values..optional? Who has the POWER to determine that? Are certain departments exempt? Why?

Farsight Institute, Atlanta, GA

RanchoAg
I've listened to Babymetal the most in the past few years.
Kuz89
AG
Closet Jinger fan here. Not a huge death metal fan but love her normal vocals.
KidDoc
AG
I hate Metal threads on this forum because so much of what is posted is screamo or thrash metal. Like many others I am more into the harmonic singing metal of JP, IM, Queensryche, etc. I try to listen to many of the bands posted here and it is just awful for me.

I wish we could narrow it down a bit as general "Metal" is such a huge range of styles.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
Leonard H. Stringfield said:

They just do things better over in Scandinavia. One of my top 2 acts just dropped a single from their new album (Sept):

I like this but I would classify this as prog rock more than metal. Although it gets pretty thrashy at the end.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
Here is some of the newer stuff I really like. I would probably put it more in hard rock than metal though.

Mac94
AG
KidDoc said:

They just do things better over in Scandinavia. One of my top 2 acts just dropped a single from their new album (Sept):

I like this but I would classify this as prog rock more than metal. Although it gets pretty thrashy at the end.
Generally thought of Nightwish as more Euro Symphonic Metal, like Within Temptation or Delain or Epica.

Lacuna Coil out of Italy is also good Euro Metal
Roll the Bones
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

Queensryche was my first concert. 1991 at Reunion Arena in Dallas. Operation Livecrime tour which was also Empire.

My buddy's older brother was stationed at Carswell. Riding with him was the first time I heard Cowboys From Hell. He took us and we crashed the weekend at he and his wife's apt. For 15 year old me it was heaven.

Started in later 90's but Sevendust is my favorite heavy band these days.

That tour was my first Queensryche show as well, although not first concert (Ratt/Poison at Tarrant County Convention Center in 1987) but I had to drive to Albuquerque, NM to see it! I was a sophomore at A&M at the time and wasn't able to catch any of the Texas shows so decided to drive to NM to see it. It was right in the middle of final exams but I had to see Mindcrime live.

Long story short, I figured out where they were staying and got to talk to Scott Rockenfield for a few minutes outside of their hotel and he was kind enough to give us backstage passes and upgraded floor seats for the show after he heard about how far we had driven to see them play. Super nice guy and I became a huge Queensryche fan after that, going to multiple shows on the next few tours.

That concert still is one of best I've ever seen.

G Martin 87
AG
Time for some Oomph, featuring Marta Jandova from Die Happy.

Leonard H. Stringfield
KidDoc said:

Yeah it's a different genre all together perhaps.....Progressive Symphonic Metal....there that should do.

NW and Therion have distanced themselves from any music genre IMO. The best I've heard since Venus by the Shocking Blue hit #1 on the charts lol. In 1970...

Nectar from the music gods.
"Roswell, 1947, there was a uap (ufo) that crashed, in fact there were 2 uaps, 1 crashed and one flew away and the other one did not and was recovered by the US GOVERNMENT."
- Lue Elizondo-former director of the Pentagon's Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program-August 20, 2024

Are A&M's core values..optional? Who has the POWER to determine that? Are certain departments exempt? Why?

ARKY AGGIE
AG
My first concert was in 1980. Nazareth, Trapeze and Krokus. Saw Motley Crue, Axe and Heaven in 1983. Saw Kiss(before they took off their makeup) and Wendy O. Williams and the Plasmatics in 1984. Saw Ozzy Ozbourne and Anthrax in Houston in January of 1989. Went to Houston again that year to see Metallica and Quensryche. And the last metal concert I went to was Head Bangers Ball in Dallas in April 1989. That featured Anthrax, Exodus and Helloween.

There was band in College Station called Street Pizza in the late 80"s that played thrash metal. They played at club at Northgate back then.

Some of my favorite Metal Bands include Megadeth, Metallica, Coal Chamber, Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Loudness, Iron Maiden and Quiet Riot.
BTHO bacon bits!!!
Leonard H. Stringfield
I recall putting the make up on for a KISS concert in Houston circa 1976. LOUDNESS....had never heard of them until I came across this gem of a Loudness cover:

ARKY AGGIE
AG

I recall putting the make up on for a KISS concert in Houston circa 1976. LOUDNESS....had never heard of them until I came across this gem of a Loudness cover:

One of my Zip buddies from FTAB made a tape of Loudness for me. When we were at A&M The Hastings bookstore carried a collection of rare and different metal bands.

Have you ever heard of Cirith Ungol?
BTHO bacon bits!!!
Leonard H. Stringfield
Have not...will look them up. Right after graduating from A&M, I got drafted to play drums in a local BCS C&W band. Took me 40 years to recover musically from that episode..lol

Both Nightwish and Therion have their roots in death and dark metal respectively. So glad they evolved beyond that garbage.

One of my favs:

Leonard H. Stringfield

Very good. It was groups such as this that I missed out on while wandering in the musical wilderness..

A little Black Sabbath. If they had a keyboard it would be very Uriah Heepish.

ARKY AGGIE
AG

Very good. It was groups such as this that I missed out on while wandering in the musical wilderness..

A little Black Sabbath. If they had a keyboard it would be very Uriah Heepish.
Dee Snider From Twisted Sister made a movie based off of the Twisted Sister song Captain Howdy called Strangeland. You should check out the soundtrack for that movie.
BTHO bacon bits!!!
Leonard H. Stringfield

More nectar from the musical gods.

ARKY AGGIE
AG
Has anyone been to Rocklahoma? They have good line up for this year. Four days of music in Pryor, Oklahoma, August 30-September 1, 2024.

https://rocklahoma.com/lineup
BTHO bacon bits!!!
KidDoc
AG
That lineup is kind of all over the place. Lots of stuff I love and some I cannot stand.

Anyway at 51 there is no way I'm going to a 4 day festival in summer Oklahoma. Thesands.rocks is more my acene!
Roll the Bones
AG
This is awesome. Full Rainbow concert from 1977. Ronnie James Dio was in his prime and sounds so good.

maroon barchetta
That is an excellent story!

Also, Scott Rockenfeld had the most metal drum kit ever back in the day.
KidDoc
AG
Roll the Bones said:

This is awesome. Full Rainbow concert from 1977. Ronnie James Dio was in his prime and sounds so good.

I don't have many regrets in my 51 years, but not seeing Dio live is one of them.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG

KidDoc
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Funny but nah my wife at least tolerates metal. Our first big date was Van Halen the night I turned 21!

Over the three decades she has become a big fan of Iron Maiden and Rush, I consider that a win!

It.was mostly due to being busy with medical training, raising kids, and medical training poverty for most of 1995-2005 or so
All I do is Nguyen
Convictions is a smaller Christian Metal band but they can put out some BANGERS

Streetfighter 02
AG
I saw that Coal Chamber was playing the Ridglea Theater in Fort Worth this year. I've only seen one show there, The Blood Hound Gang in 2005, but it might be fun to see if they bring back any nostalgia. They opened for Pantera/Anthrax in 1997 at the West Park Entertainment Center. I believe the venue became a Houston Garden Center not long after.

My first metal concert was War of the Gargantuans 1996. Double headliner of Pantera and White Zombie at the Summit in Houston. The building is now the home of Joel Osteen's Lakewood mega church.

I saw Megadeth at the International Ballroom in 1998. The web says Coal Chamber was the opener. Not sure if that building is still even standing. It was a huge piece of crap shopping center/warehouse. I saw Marilyn Manson in this same venue in 1997.

All this just proves that I'm getting old and my parents were pretty lenient.
Leonard H. Stringfield

Perhaps more prog rock than true metal (whatever that might be), but my gosh, if you enjoy listening to very accompished drummer, give this one listen. Gavin is an alpha.

Leonard H. Stringfield
My first concert circa 1977, Sam Houston Coleseum. This was the opening song:

Not smoker..tried it twice and that came to an abrupt halt. Lots of smoke in the air that night though......and it was extremely loud.

The lead singer was quite the maniac.

maroon barchetta
Did VH open?
Leonard H. Stringfield
maroon barchetta said:

Did VH open?
I don't recall...lemme do some digging.

Oct 23 1976
Houston, TX
Sam Houston Coliseum
Boston

VH the following year I see. Weird, I do not recall Boston. Perhaps all the damn smoke in the air...lol. I know I never listened to their music perhaps why. They did go on to be a VERY big act of course.

Hubert J. Farnsworth

KidDoc said:

Yeah it's a different genre all together perhaps.....Progressive Symphonic Metal....there that should do.

NW and Therion have distanced themselves from any music genre IMO. The best I've heard since Venus by the Shocking Blue hit #1 on the charts lol. In 1970...

Nectar from the music gods.

Nightwish, in the years after Floor Jansen joined and before Marko Hietala left, may have been peak music.
Ronnie Woodard
AG
Debated putting this in this thread at all but it felt like the best place.

Ghost released the Rite Here Rite Now soundtrack today, essentially a live album from their 2023 tour. I'm inherently biased but think it's awesome so far and does an amazing job of capturing the vibe of that show. Going to give it a few more listens before anointing it as so, but it's rocketing up my personal live album rankings. You can absolutely feel the evolution of the band from their other live album, 2017's Ceremony and Devotion.

G.I.Bro
Anyone else watching Gojira on the Olympics opening ceremony?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.