****All things METAL****

8,205 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by G.I.Bro
Aggie Therapist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been on a Pantera kick for a few weeks. Figured I would start a thread for people to post and share new and old metal bands to bring back a little 80s/90s thrash.

I had no idea Kerry King has his own band and loved this song. Hard hitting riffs and solos.

You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
JamesPShelley
Heaven and Hell
Mob Rules
StinkyPinky
AG
In the 80's was lots of Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden.
90's - Napalm Death, Sepultura, Caracess, SOAD, Tool, AIC, and usual grunge suspects
agdoc2001
AG

NSFW - language
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Claude!
Just saw Judas Priest/Sabaton a few weeks ago and enjoyed the hell out of it. Tickets secured to see Iron Maiden in November, which I am incredibly stoked for. I think their opener will be The Hu.
Red Five
AG
It's not 80's or 90's, but 2017's Nightmare Logic by Power Trip is probably my favorite thrash album of all-time. Only 32 minutes long and shreds non-stop from beginning to end. Really sucks that the lead singer died.

Aggie Therapist
AG
StinkyPinky said:

90's - Napalm Death, Sepultura, Caracess, SOAD, Tool, AIC, and usual grunge suspects

Your 80s bands listed described my entire childhood and teen years. I was born in 89 but grandpa and dad played nothing but those bands, it's like the never moved on but I am grateful for it!

Met Megadeth a couple years ago in Austin. Went to a queensryche concert in 2003. Saw Metallica last August. They still got it!
You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
Aggie87
AG
Anyone like Jinjer? It amazed me that Tatiana can sing death metal style and sound like that. There's no processing on her voice.

I'm mostly old school with metal, but I like this band.
G Martin 87
AG
I'm fairly mainstream in my metal tastes. JP, Scorpions, DL, maybe some German metal like Oomph, Megaherz, and Rammstein occasionally. I've listened to Babymetal the most in the past few years.
Sea Speed
AG
Red Five said:

It's not 80's or 90's, but 2017's Nightmare Logic by Power Trip is probably my favorite thrash album of all-time. Only 32 minutes long and shreds non-stop from beginning to end. Really sucks that the lead singer died.

Riley was a good friend. Wade from Iron age died around the same time. The Texas hardcore scene lost 2 legends and great people who I was lucky enough to call friends.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

Met Megadeth a couple years ago in Austin. Went to a queensryche concert in 2003. Saw Metallica last August. They still got it!
I helped drink all of Queensryche's beer backstage at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Irvine, CA in 2007

Serious question, I've seen Megadeth a bunch of times with the most recent being in 2015 at Hordern Pavilion, Sydney, Australia. Dave's voice was gone then. If you've seen Megadeth more recently, has his voice improved or are his singing days pretty much over?
HollywoodBQ
AG
JamesPShelley said:

Heaven and Hell
Mob Rules
Funny story, circa 2006, I went to a party hosted by a drummer in North Hills.

This was before I knew that all the drummers know all the other drummers (RIP - James Kottak).

I see a White Lexus parked out front with a personalized license plate that says - "MOBRULZ"

I thought. That's funny. This guy must be a Sabbath fan.

Turns out it was Vinny Appice's car.
Red Five
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Aggie Therapist said:

I helped drink all of Queensryche's beer backstage at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Irvine, CA in 2007

Serious question, I've seen Megadeth a bunch of times with the most recent being in 2015 at Hordern Pavilion, Sydney, Australia. Dave's voice was gone then. If you've seen Megadeth more recently, has his voice improved or are his singing days pretty much over?
Did Dave's singing days ever start? Dude has always sounded like a cat being strangled.
superunknown
AG
The new Priest I've heard lately was pretty dang good.
Aggie Therapist
AG
superunknown said:

The new Priest I've heard lately was pretty dang good.

That's a band I need to see oh so bad.

I used to be able to play the opening to painkiller on the drums. I need to dust off that set and get after it again.

Dial 988 Press 1
Garrelli 5000
AG
Queensryche was my first concert. 1991 at Reunion Arena in Dallas. Operation Livecrime tour which was also Empire.

My buddy's older brother was stationed at Carswell. Riding with him was the first time I heard Cowboys From Hell. He took us and we crashed the weekend at he and his wife's apt. For 15 year old me it was heaven.

Started in later 90's but Sevendust is my favorite heavy band these days.
Staff - take out the trash.
superunknown
AG
I had a chance during the Ripper Owens days but I passed. I think they played Cowboys in San Antonio '98 or so.
tk for tu juan
tk for tu juan
Still one of the best blind audition in The Voice history

tk for tu juan
Mostly listened to grunge and Zeppelin growing up, after that Helmet and Pantera topped the playlist.

rhutton125
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Aggie Therapist said:

This exact question had me passing on the chance to see them later this year, so I'm curious how they are live. They're among the bands of "would love to see them but only if I had a time machine" unless I hear otherwise in this thread.
Aggie Therapist
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Aggie Therapist said:

I saw them live in 2004 on the Gigan Tour? It was Megadeth, Dream Theater and Fear Factory as the main acts. It was pretty sick. Some kid was getting crushed at the front stage and Dave stopped the show to bring the kid and his mom out of the crowd and backstage.

His voice is still solid IMO. Better in 2004. I will say that I'm not a big cynic on these things for legendary metal bands. I'm just there to enjoy it because it could be the last time they go on tour or perform.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I'm going to see Megadeth this year. I don't care what Dave's voice sounds like as long as he can still put out something. I've seen them in the past and Dave's voice has probably never been great.

I may have passed but my 16 y/o wants to go see them.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Aggie Therapist
AG
Good lord. Megadeth runs through guitarists like crazy.

I got Kiko's signature in 2022 and he's not there anymore lol. I always thought Kiko was "too good" for Megadeth because I think he has a talent that goes beyond the realm of a metal band.

Sea Speed
AG
Sleep was the loudest show i have ever been to. It was incredible.

Crowbar was so heavy I loved it.

I got so hammered at obituary I forgot they already played my favorite song and kept yelling for them to play it lol. Listening to Cause of Death as we speak.

dixie whiskey
AG
just a couple more weeks for this one to drop

also pretty excited that chat pile should have something new out by years end if not sooner

SanAntoneAg
AG
The Saxon/Uriah Heep show was badass last night.
Sea Speed
AG
If you haven't listened to sleep or high on fire you're missing out. I've been meaning to make a thread about them. Incredible music.
Aggie Therapist
AG

Aggie87
AG
Leonard H. Stringfield
They just do things better over in Scandinavia. One of my top 2 acts just dropped a single from their new album (Sept):

"Roswell, 1947, there was a uap (ufo) that crashed, in fact there were 2 uaps, 1 crashed and one flew away and the other one did not and was recovered by the US GOVERNMENT."
- Lue Elizondo-former director of the Pentagon's Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program-August 20, 2024

Are A&M's core values..optional? Who has the POWER to determine that? Are certain departments exempt? Why?

Farsight Institute, Atlanta, GA

Eliminatus
AG
StinkyPinky said:

This was largely the path I started too. I was literally raised on thrash. I stole my dads And Justice for All tape at like age 7 or 8 and would melt my eardrums every night on my sweet wire headphones from my walkman. Pantera, Slayer, Anthrax, etc was my base. Then I went deep into the new wave of American metal and developing -core scene. Lamb of God, Trivium, Shadows Fall, Unearth, As I Lay Dying, Etc. I swear this stuff is a drug because I just kept getting more and more addicted and needed heavier and heavier stuff. Started experimenting with the offshoot genres and as of right now, my favorite genre is blackened symphonic death metal. Yes, that is a real thing. My favorite song in the past year is below for example. I will say I am a very broad metalhead and the only subgenre I still struggle with is doom metal. I can do it briefly and if I make myself get into the mood but that's about it.

Eliminatus
AG
Red Five said:

I've been exploring Power Trip because of you and a little surprised they flew beneath my radar.

I think they may be the most "mainsteam" of the new thrash scene but Havok's Time is Up album is my Everest of new thrash albums. It is as perfect of an album I can think of in that scene I have heard. Track 1 below if you are not familiar with them.

Leonard H. Stringfield

The Peacock Angel.......perhaps he was an extraterrestrial...

My favorite group.
"Roswell, 1947, there was a uap (ufo) that crashed, in fact there were 2 uaps, 1 crashed and one flew away and the other one did not and was recovered by the US GOVERNMENT."
- Lue Elizondo-former director of the Pentagon's Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program-August 20, 2024

Are A&M's core values..optional? Who has the POWER to determine that? Are certain departments exempt? Why?

Farsight Institute, Atlanta, GA

digging tunnels
AG
I last saw Megadeth 3 years ago and thought Dave's voice sounded fine. But I go for the guitars. New guitarist Teemu is a badass. Drummer Dirk is kickass too. Can't wait to see them in a couple months
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.