Baby Reindeer - NFLX

5,075 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?

This may be the best show of 2024. Based on a true story. If you like Black Mirror you will like this show. Female lead in this delivers an outstanding performance. Seven episode series that tells a complete story beginning to end. Show is well done and well written.
Muy
AG
She was amazing, the main actor was amazing, the writing was amazing… but damn I had to fast forward through some scenes I shall not mention here.
BadMoonRisin
AG
if you cant give a short recap, can you at least say what genre it is?

drama-thriller. nice. I only ask cause it looks like it could be horror, which my wife hates. Drama-thrillers, better
Stat Monitor Repairman
It's drama / psychological thriller / horror. But if you planning on watching with someone with a sensitive demeanor it could get you sideways for sure so proceed with caution on this.
GoAgs92
AG
Looks like Misery on steroids.
Carlo4
AG
It's about a stalker... and a whole lot more serious topics at risk of spoiling everything. It was very difficult to watch during certain very serious scenes, but it was also like watching Jerry Springer in that you can't turn away from the trash. Also just enough comedy in there (figuratively and literally) to keep the pace going.

It is not a horror movie at all.

Even with the graphic content/nature, I recommend it for those that can handle the topics revealed later in the series (again not going to spoil it).
BadMoonRisin
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

It's drama / psychological thriller / horror. But if you planning on watching with someone with a sensitive demeanor it could get you sideways for sure so proceed with caution on this.
Starting it tonight. Thanks for the reco!
InnocentBystander99
AG
This show was very well done. It was the complete opposite of what I expected though.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
The flashback episode. Holy *****

I felt physically sick after that.

Very well produced show, but what a ****ed up life that guy has had. Can't help but feel very bad for him
2008and1
AG
This series captured my attention start to finish. It was intense and very dark but also very well done.
AgTrip
Watched this show after seeing it on here. Got hooked in the beginning as it was interesting to see where this was all heading. I agree the flashback episode was terrible and we wanted to stop right there after watching it. We kept on going but were no longer into it and just wanted it to be over. I agree the actress who played Martha was amazing.

I wouldn't recommend this to any of my friends. The show is dark and messed up and to me, that's not entertainment. I don't like watching people suffer and struggle with mental issues. I sympathize with the characters and felt awful for them but I don't want to watch that as an escape from the problems in the world. My wife commented many times, I feel sick watching this. There are deep issues addressed in this series. Makes you want to take a hot shower after you watch it that's for sure!
Wolfpac 08
AG
We just watched the flashback episode last night. Absolutely brutal and extremely hard to watch. That's an episode that will stick with you.

Overall the show has been great. Really curious to see how it wraps up.
Texmid
AG
AgTrip said:

Watched this show after seeing it on here. Got hooked in the beginning as it was interesting to see where this was all heading. I agree the flashback episode was terrible and we wanted to stop right there after watching it. We kept on going but were no longer into it and just wanted it to be over. I agree the actress who played Martha was amazing.

I wouldn't recommend this to any of my friends. The show is dark and messed up and to me, that's not entertainment. I don't like watching people suffer and struggle with mental issues. I sympathize with the characters and felt awful for them but I don't want to watch that as an escape from the problems in the world. My wife commented many times, I feel sick watching this. There are deep issues addressed in this series. Makes you want to take a hot shower after you watch it that's for sure!
I agree. Wish I hadn't wasted my time with it.
rlb28
AG
Same
Canyon99
Glad I read your post so I can skip this series
GoAgs92
AG
Great Show.
G.I.Bro
Finished this last night. I was about to say I enjoyed it, but I don't think that's the right word. Really good show. Terrific performances
bangobango
AG
I haven't watched it, but I've read discussion about it online. For those on the fence, pretty sure the flashback episode everyone is referencing is a man raping another man.

Just putting this out there so others can make an informed decision of whether or not to watch. If my information is incorrect , then please clarify.
maroon barchetta
Username…
Sea Speed
AG
I liked the show as much as one can, and really like how they went places most shows would not go. I think it is interesting that they explored whether being raped made the main character gay or not, which has been seen to happen in children who were molested as youth, and is something that a family member has gone through. The main character was an absolute glutton for punishment and this is basically a case study in the depths of self loathing. It was crazy to watch him go back to things that were products of his self loathing even after he was doing better. Definitely not for everyone, that is for certain, but I thoroughly appreciated the show.
MookieBlaylock
AG
We enjoyed the first episode

Excited to see if we like the next one
Aggie Class of 2026
I recommend
DG-Ag
AG
bangobango said:

I haven't watched it, but I've read discussion about it online. For those on the fence, pretty sure the flashback episode everyone is referencing is a man raping another man.

Just putting this out there so others can make an informed decision of whether or not to watch. If my information is incorrect , then please clarify.
No thanks!
You're from down South,
And when you open your mouth,
You always seem to put your foot there.
PascalsWager
AG
We got pulled in by the stalker storyline. Decent beginning and premise for a Netflix show. Out of nowhere we get backstory about the main character who isn't anywhere near interesting enough to warrant that. The backstory is disturbing as a others have mentioned. But it could've been puppies and unicorns and I still wouldn't really have cared because I wasn't invested in the character.

Then the show tries to draw some flimsy causal arrows from the disturbing backstory to the stalker story. For me this was a huge reach. I find the backstory largely irrelevant to anything else going on in the show. If this was meant to be a biopic; ok then it would make sense. The conclusion of the show is totally unchanged if you get rid of the backstory.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Wow, you just put my thoughts about this into perfect words. I was trying to explain it at soccer practice to the other moms talking about it and just couldn't explain it. The end got very boring because of the reaching and by that point I was like, "I just don't care"
FL_Ag1998
AG
PascalsWager said:

We got pulled in by the stalker storyline. Decent beginning and premise for a Netflix show. Out of nowhere we get backstory about the main character who isn't anywhere near interesting enough to warrant that. The backstory is disturbing as a others have mentioned. But it could've been puppies and unicorns and I still wouldn't really have cared because I wasn't invested in the character.

Then the show tries to draw some flimsy causal arrows from the disturbing backstory to the stalker story. For me this was a huge reach. I find the backstory largely irrelevant to anything else going on in the show. If this was meant to be a biopic; ok then it would make sense. The conclusion of the show is totally unchanged if you get rid of the backstory.

I disagree.

Until you know the backstory you're watching and wondering why this guy continues to keep this stalker in his life, even if just on the fringes. Its almost maddening how he always leaves that crack open for her to be involved in his life.

The key to why is his history. His need for attention and approval and love, even in extremely messed up ways, in large part because of what he's been through. And then, even after she's arrested, his backstory is key to why he still spirals and (assuming I'm remembering the ending correctly), why he starts to take on her role as the stalker of the bartender who's nice to him in the very last scene.

His backstory is anything but superfluous. And its a slightly fictional version of his life story, so its basically is a biopic in ways.
AJ02
AG
But even with his attacker, he kept going back. Why???

And did the trauma cause him to basically "turn gay?" I was always told "born that way". So.....
FL_Ag1998
AG
AJ02 said:

And did the trauma cause him to basically "turn gay?" I was always told "born that way". So.....

We binged it so it all ran together for me, but I think it's summed up as follows...

1) He's an entertainer, hell a stand-up comic to make it worse, so he naturally has that craving for attention and approval. He's willing to do and put up with whatever it takes to get approval and attention, even from audiences who don't want him in their bar.
2) His attacker was dangling a pretty big enticement to stick around (the job in the entertainment industry), and
3) Even when the attention is a net negative and causes him harm, its still attention from someone. In his warped view that warped love is the only love he's being shown by the world.

But maybe someone else can explain his mindset better than me.

And...no, I don't think the trauma caused him to turn gay, it just maybe forced him to realize that maybe part of him was attracted to other men, which likely made his feelings toward his rapist even more confused
Sea Speed
AG
AJ02 said:

I'm very surprised that there was not backlash on Twitter about this aspect of it, because plenty of people will say that it is impossible, but it is definitely something that happens to boys and I reckon men who have these types of homosexual assaults. As I said, I think it is interesting that it explored that and I'm not sure the character had any resolution to that particular question. I think it is probably a question many people in his situation find themselves asking. I know someone who has asked themselves the same thing.
AJ02
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

We binged it so it all ran together for me, but I think it's summed up as follows...

3) Even when the attention is a net negative and causes him harm, its still attention from someone. In his warped view that warped love is the only love he's being shown by the world.

So I wonder what his upbringing was that he so desperately wants someone to show him love that he's willing to put up with that to get it.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I knew the backstory. He played the blame game A LOT.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Seinfeld's pop-tart movie is cure for baby reindeer induced depression.
bonfarr
AG
Almost thru episode 4 and this show has gone way dark. Big change in tone from first few episodes.
Furlock Bones
AG
God that was a pile in the end.
annie88
AG
I just started watching this yesterday.

Holy moly.

Goes from weird dark to even more weird and dark.

She is frightening in this role, fantastic, but frightening. And he's a bit weird too.

Can't wait to watch the rest although part of me is like this is too weird.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.