*****CIVIL WAR SPOILERZ THREAD*****

14,388 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
EclipseAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

zgood10 said:

If I ever run into Jesse Plemons and he asks where I'm from... might sh** my pants

The pride of Mart, TX.
And Dillon.
BCSWguru
Am I the only one thinking the previews were a bit misleading of the actual movie?
TCTTS
AG
It still would have been a wildly tense/memorable scene, but Plemons' incredible presence (and memability) obviously takes it to a whole other level…

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I honestly can't think of a better example off the top of my head, of an actor stealing a movie with such little screentime.

At least not in recent memory.
El Gallo Blanco
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I honestly can't think of a better example off the top of my head, of an actor stealing a movie with such little screentime.

Me neither. Such a minor role...so terrifying.
BassCowboy33
What a boring world we'd live in if we only partook in media that espoused our personal viewpoints.
BassCowboy33
El Gallo Blanco said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Me neither. Such a minor role...so terrifying.

The only one that comes to mind for me is William Hurt in A History of Violence.
MBAR
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

What a boring world we'd live in if we only partook in media that espoused our personal viewpoints.
On certain things I'm 100% ok only partaking in media that pushes my world view. One of those world views is that facism is bad. I feel the same way about ethnic cleansing, rape, and a ton of other adherent *****

I don't know what I would have to gain by watching a movie that said "YAY FACISM" but if that's what you guys need to be fair and balanced then by all means. Go for it.
Cliff.Booth
A milquetoast movie called Civil War generating online clashes between people who will one day probably engage in a legit and not-so-vague actual civil war is kinda funny.
johncAG
AG
So did anyone else really enjoy that Sturgill Simpson sequence in the burning forest? I loved how it comes right after the most intense moment of the movie and resets us for the final act. Needed to catch my breath after the interegation scene
TCTTS
AG
johncAG said:

So did anyone else really enjoy that Sturgill Simpson sequence in the burning forest? I loved how it comes right after the most intense moment of the movie and resets us for the final act. Needed to catch my breath after the interegation scene

I thought that sequence was awesome.

That was just before they met up with the West Forces, right? Or just after?

Either way, that reminds me that my only structural complaint of the movie was cutting from them finding out that the Western Forces were moving on DC sooner than expected - and Joel getting SUPER pissed about it - to them being right there alongside them, in the heart of the action, as they literally infiltrated the White House. To the point where them learning that info and Joel getting so pissed had zero effect on the plot. It wasn't bad by any means, I just found it a little odd, like there was a scene missing there.
C@LAg
this poster reads like if Redstone and Snyderman had a love child and was trying to ape their combined posting style with a significant anti-Hollywood bent.

i could honestly see one of them doing it as a troll account.
Capybara
I'm pro-family, biological or otherwise, which can exist within Hollywood, believe it or not. Look at how many classic movies and select newer ones were good because it was more or less a director shooting with his friends or within a surprisingly intimate studio environment. When you can see the love, that's special.
Urban Ag
AG
Also, you dipsh**s have ruined a thread on a movie I actually want to see, a rare occasion.

Booooo.
El Gallo Blanco
johncAG said:

Yep, that was great...never thought I would hear that song in a movie TBH...great song, just wouldn't expect it...but damn they made it work
El Gallo Blanco
Urban Ag said:

Also, you dipsh**s have ruined a thread on a movie I actually want to see, a rare occasion.

Booooo.
If softcore political sparring online is too much...this movie ain't for you. Bring your binky if you go, and have that latina wife of yours cuddle and reassure you.

jk amigo
BassCowboy33
El Gallo Blanco said:

Urban Ag said:

Booooo.
If softcore political sparring online is too much...this movie ain't for you. Bring your binky if you go, and have that latina wife of yours cuddle and reassure you.

jk amigo

To be fair, this isn't F16, so any political sparring is too much. Most people come to this board to get away from that toxicity.
Faustus
346 posts in 6 years, and 16 of them are on this thread.

You people riled Capybara up.
Texas Gator
I am not sure that I have ever been more wrong about a movie than this one. My research and teaching focuses on the study of civil wars, so when I first saw the movie poster with snipers on the Statue of Liberty my initial thoughts were (1) this is going to be pretty stupid and (2) this exactly the kind of movie that we do not need right now. I was 100% wrong on both fronts.

The way that this movie captured just how much people's basic humanity can be lost in a civil war felt pretty spot-on to me. From the characters the film comes across that don't flinch to do awful things to people they may have known for years to the journalists that become detached from the horrors of war, I thought that the film captured the pretty thin thread that holds together civil society. I wish that folks that purport to yearn for a new American civil war had a chance to see this.
Cliff.Booth
Texas Gator said:

The way that this movie captured just how much people's basic humanity can be lost in a civil war felt pretty spot-on to me. From the characters the film comes across that don't flinch to do awful things to people they may have known for years to the journalists that become detached from the horrors of war, I thought that the film captured the pretty thin thread that holds together civil society. I wish that folks that purport to yearn for a new American civil war had a chance to see this.

Haven't seen this movie and likely won't, but from what I've read about it it seems like one that would depress me in the same way that Joker did. I didn't care about Joker as a comic origins story, but it was pretty spot on about how our society molds the kind of young men who end up shooting places up. Civil War seems to be the kind of movie that accurately depicts what we already know, which is even apparent on this forum, which is that Americans are becoming increasingly tribal with less and less common ground, and more dehumanizing identity politics that can easily turn into violence. I don't need a movie to show me that, turn on the ****ing news going back to 2016.
MBAR
AG
People toss out terms like left wing without understanding that this is a literally an anti facist movie. This is literally antifa.
MBAR
AG
Texas Gator said:

I am not sure that I have ever been more wrong about a movie than this one. My research and teaching focuses on the study of civil wars, so when I first saw the movie poster with snipers on the Statue of Liberty my initial thoughts were (1) this is going to be pretty stupid and (2) this exactly the kind of movie that we do not need right now. I was 100% wrong on both fronts.

I don't know that Garland was thinking about people who talk about Secession lightly when he made this film (Maybe, IDK) but I agree 100000000000000% this is a great film for those people to think about.
Claude!
We ought to talk less about left wing and right wing, and more about Little Wing.
BCSWguru
yeah shes walkin.....
NukeAg10
AG
Just saw it. I thought it was really good, and jesse plemons stole the show in his scene. The action scenes were incredibly intense, and I was shocked at how apolitical it was.
El Gallo Blanco
MBAR said:

People toss out terms like left wing without understanding that this is a literally an anti facist movie. This is literally antifa.
Which political side consistently is more likely to exhibit extreme/fascist/tyrannical behavior? Again, the only slight issue some are taking is that they just HAD to make the dictator president a right winger...otherwise leftists would have lost their sh**. It's just rich when I constantly see left wingers driving conservative speakers violently off school campuses, torching entire sections of cities, committing political violence (one SHOT a GOP congressman just a few yrs ago), blocking highways/airports, showing ZERO ability to tolerate any dissenting viewpoints. Just imagine a world where the right behaves like the left and gets away with it...you can't.

For anyone who has a problem with me injecting more politics, feel free to skip...I am responding to a specific poster.
TCTTS
AG
Why do you keep saying the President in the movie is a right winger? I mean, yes, he most likely is, but the movie NEVER says he is specifically.
TCTTS
AG
Literally all we know is that he 1) somehow forced a third term, and 2) abolished the FBI.

Are those two things something only a right-winger would do? (And if so, what does that say about your commentary of the right?)

Otherwise, he's simply a generic fascist dictator who even Texas is pushing back against.
Carlo4
AG
zgood10 said:

If I ever run into Jesse Plemons and he asks where I'm from... might sh** my pants
sometimes he doesn't have to say anything for you to think that...

Claude!
TCTTS said:

Literally all we know is that he 1) somehow forced a third term, and 2) abolished the FBI.

Are those two things something only a right-winger would do? (And if so, what does that say about your commentary of the right?)

Otherwise, he's simply a generic fascist dictator who even Texas is pushing back against.
I mean, I guess if you want to get right down to it, the only President thus far to serve more than two terms has come from the political left. He also wasn't too fond of civil liberties.

I do think that the character presents more as stereotypically right wing (e.g., he's a white dude that says God Bless America), but it's muddy enough that it's open to interpretation. Would've been funny if he'd acted like Jerry Brown from the Dead Kennedys song "California Uber Alles" - it's the suede denim secret police / they have come for your uncool niece.
TCTTS
AG
Claude! said:

TCTTS said:

I mean, I guess if you want to get right down to it, the only President thus far to serve more than two terms has come from the political left. He also wasn't too fond of civil liberties.

I do think that the character presents more as stereotypically right wing (e.g., he's a white dude that says God Bless America), but it's muddy enough that it's open to interpretation. Would've been funny if he'd acted like Jerry Brown from the Dead Kennedys song "California Uber Alles" - it's the suede denim secret police / they have come for your uncool niece.

This.

And well said overall.

Probably a right winger, but not conclusively by any means.

Either way, on the surface, all Garland technically gives us is "assh*le fascist dictator," and I just find it funny that certain conservatives keep interpreting that as "Republican."
El Gallo Blanco
TCTTS said:

Claude! said:

TCTTS said:

This.

And well said overall.

Probably a right winger, but not conclusively by any means.

Either way, on the surface, all Garland technically gives us is "assh*le fascist dictator," and I just find it funny that certain conservatives keep interpreting that as "Republican."

Massacred antifa and abolished the FBI. Two things the left loves and loves to weaponize to push their agenda. The FBI literally colluded with big tech and media to influence the 2020 election (whether it worked, or to what degree, is irrelevant…crazy that they would do such a thing). Then there was the long drawn out Russia collusion hoax. Say what you want about Trump being demon spawn of Hitler or not, there is no denying that the FBI and other agencies and institutions heavily fought against him.

I'm a desantis guy, he wants to gut the FBI too. As do many others.
TCTTS
AG
They specifically said "the Antifa massacre," with zero other context.

In other words, we have no idea if that meant Antifa was massacred - or - Antifa did the massacring.

Just another example of how Garland went out of his way to stay as apolitical as possible, and let people read what they want to read.
johncAG
AG
There's literal a joke about "Portland Maoists" and how little anyone takes them seriously.

Also, saying the left loves the FBI is certainly a take based off history and the amount of movies where the FBI is revealed to be corrupt
TCTTS
AG
Both great points, and facts that don't fit the narrative, thus are ignored.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.