*** THE MATRIX 5 ***

3,227 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by agdoc2001
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On one hand I'm stoked to see Drew Goddard take the reins. He not only wrote/adapted The Martian, one of the most rewatchable movies of the past ten years, he wrote and directed Bad Times at the Royale and The Cabin in the Woods, both of which I love. He could be exactly what this franchise needs and, if anything, I can't wait to see what someone other than the Wachowskis can do with this world.

That said, the last movie - The Matrix Resurrections - was SO meta, and seemingly SO against the basic idea of the franchise continuing, that this almost feels like sacrilege - or, rather, exactly what Jonathan Groff's character was talking about...

Then again, Lana Wachowski is at least serving as executive producer this go around, so who knows, and she of course knew this was inevitable. Resurrections is all about the trap of nostalgia, while reckoning with its own legacy, and maybe this movie continues to comment on that idea in some way, just hopefully in a way less winking manner...

The Porkchop Express
There are a lot of low hanging jokes to make here about how Lana and Lily have really only been involved in 1 Matrix movie.
C@LAg
should have stopped with 3. 2 and 3 get progressively worse overall.

The archteype storylines (the architect, the old lady (whatever her name was), the meta storytelling/woldbuilding etc) was really good stuff.

But the people level storytelling just got worse and worse. I think where 3 ended was the perfect end, even with all the Zion filler garbage and how they ruin Neo/Trinity.
TCTTS
AG
I'm actually hoping there's no Neo/Trinity this go around. Maybe it's decades later, they've long since passed on, and they're revered legends to people in the real world or whatever, but that's it. Otherwise, personally, I want an all new cast/approach.
C@LAg
a clean reboot/new storyline would be best.

however, I have zero faith that WB would allow that to happen and will insist on some participation.
agdoc2001
AG
So they've killed it and we are moving into the wear it as a skinsuit phase?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TCTTS
AG
On the surface, yes.

That said, Goddard wouldn't be doing this if he didn't have a great idea, and it sounds like he brought the idea to WB, not the other way around.

If this was some generic director doing a job for hire, at the behest of Warner Bros simply wanting to keep the IP machine going, that would be one thing.

But Goddard is the real deal, and I've personally loved just about everything he's done. In addition to the movies I named above, he's also written for Alias, Lost, and Daredevil. He also wrote the first Cloverfield movie, which I still think is fantastic.

In other words, I'm trusting him on this until he gives me a reason not to.
Rocagnante
AG
I'm very forgiving with sci-fi movies but Matrix 4 was horrible.
TCTTS
AG
From what I understand...

Pre-pandemic, Warner Bros was developing an idea for a fourth movie, without the Wachowskis, who wanted nothing to do with the franchise going forward, despite WB apparently reaching out to them multiple times over the years.

But then, finally, Lana randomly had the idea for Resurrections, and to do this whole, weird, winking, meta thing, and pitched it to Warner Bros, who then scrapped whatever it was they were developing for the new, Wachowski-approved version.

My guess is, the thinking was, no matter the story, a Wachowski-approved/helmed Matrix movie was better than a non-Wachowski-approved/helmed Matrix movie, seeing as Lana could get Reeves and Moss back, the fans would be stoked, etc.

The problem, of course, was that Resurrections ended up being TOO weird and out there. That, and you could just tell from the trailer it wasn't really doing anything new or inventive; that it felt more like a coda or epilogue to the original trilogy. Combined with the fact that it released during the tail end of the pandemic, when certain people were still skittish about going back to theaters, and the whole thing just failed to resonate.

Ironically, WB probably would have been better off just going with their original, non-Wachowksi plan, seeing as, post Resurrections, franchise enthusiasm is at an all-time low.

Hopefully Goddard has found a way to re-inject some life/excitement into this thing, though.
Average Joe
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm actually hoping there's no Neo/Trinity this go around. Maybe it's decades later, they've long since passed on, and they're revered legends to people in the real world or whatever, but that's it. Otherwise, personally, I want an all new cast/approach.
The great thing is that the original trilogy left an opening for more. The Matrix gets reset and there's a new Neo. Over and over. It gives them an opportunity to do something familiar, but also the opening to reinvent the franchise in ways that will keep it fresh and moving in a different direction without having to 'movie magic' why Neo looks different and there isn't a Trinity.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
4 was so bad that I have almost zero interest in 5.
C@LAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

4 was so bad that I have almost zero interest in 5.
so what you are saying is... you can care less
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I could care less than 1% less.
TCTTS
AG
I just looked it up, and the "fourth" movie Warner Bros was developing prior to Lana coming back was actually a prequel written by Zak Helm.

"Set earlier in the timeline of the Matrix universe."

So who knows, maybe they picked that idea back up? And now Goddard is now building on it?

A prequel of some sort - set sometime between The AniMatrix and the first movie - could be an interesting way to go, and wouldn't then have to contend with the events of Resurrections.

That said, I'd still prefer a Neo/Trinity-less story set long after the events of Resurrections.
The Dog Lord
AG
I was severely disappointed by #4. Thought the trailer actually looked promising. I'd still see 5 though, especially since it's not the Wachowskis doing it.
Madmarttigan
AG
This should somehow be about a robot civil war that matrix 4 should have always been about…
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
By the way, Animatrix is better than y'all remember. I rewatched it all before Resurrections.

It makes for a great watch together with 1-3.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I honestly forgot that they made a fourth Matrix movie.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Al Bula
AG
Follow me for more expert movie criticism.

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3052557/replies/60110868
Al Bula said:

Not a lot about that trailer moves the needle. Mostly the same action sequences from the last three: explosions, helicopters, jumping off buildings, karate wire fight, sprinklers going off, morphing agents, bullet time...

The scenes from the battery farm and another when there was a hovership (or whatever they called in the Matrix universe) on screen were the only two that really grabbed me.

After seeing Toy Story 4, I cannot unhear Keanu's stupid Duke Caboom voice.

I guess the most intriguing thing for me will be seeing how Wachowski untangles the blind death flight to fight Agent Smith from Matrix 3. How is the "Resurrection" possible?

I'm guessing there will be some jump-to-conclusions retcon that gets five minutes of screen-time but spawns years of internet bickering between both old and new dorks. The ending will probably be open-ish in case the people in "The Biz" figure there is more money to be wrung out of fans.

I give that trailer a solid C based on its overuse of original Matrix effects for nostalgia's sake.
The Porkchop Express
Much like The Hunger Games novel, The Matrix should have stopped at one exceptional project instead of trying to create a giant world that wasn't nearly as well delivered.
Average Joe
AG
The original Matrix trilogy ran into the Anime/comic problem in that it kept increasing Neo's abilities so it had to increase Agent Smith's abilities, and it just got ridiculous. Story sacrificed because of it.
C@LAg
Average Joe said:

The original Matrix trilogy ran into the Anime/comic problem in that it kept increasing Neo's abilities so it had to increase Agent Smith's abilities, and it just got ridiculous. Story sacrificed because of it.
also see John Wick series.
BQRyno
AG
I've watched Resurrections twice and can't remember what happens. Is that bad? And I'm one of the few who really enjoyed the entire original trilogy.
Sponge
AG
The trailer for 4 looked so bad I never even bothered watching that one.
GrayMatter
AG
BQRyno said:

I've watched Resurrections twice and can't remember what happens. Is that bad? And I'm one of the few who really enjoyed the entire original trilogy.
+1

I don't remember either; but I was disappointed how they wasted perfectly good Neo and Trinity characters for that POS.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Much like The Hunger Games novel, The Matrix should have stopped at one exceptional project instead of trying to create a giant world that wasn't nearly as well delivered.

Catching Fire is widely considered the best movie though.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Catching Fire is widely considered the best movie though.
I've only seen it one time. I found that book good to start then very confusing, and the last book was just a video game.
Thunderstruck xx
I could get on board with a fresh Matrix without Larry and Andy Wachowski involved.
TXAG 05
AG
BQRyno said:

I would consider yourself lucky. Resurrections was unbelievably terrible.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've never fallen asleep in the theater in my life.

I came closest during Resurrections, of all movies. I was struggling to keep my eyes open for a big chunk of the movie.

And as a huge fan of the Matrix franchise...that says a lot.

Granted, I was in the early days of what I'm now pretty sure was COVID, so that was probably contributing.
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

By the way, Animatrix is better than y'all remember. I rewatched it all before Resurrections.

It makes for a great watch together with 1-3.
There are a couple awesome stories in The Animatrix, still really good.
fig96
AG
I want to be excited for this, there's so many fantastic stories that can be told in this world. Fingers crossed...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Admittedly, seeing how many cool stories there were in Animatrix, and sitting on it for a few days, I am a bit more hopeful that something cool can come out of a new movie without the involvement of the Wachowskis or Neo/Trinity.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I have no interest in any new Matrix movie that doesn't take place before the original.
AtticusMatlock
Can we get a John Wick 5 instead?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.