*** JOKER: FOLIE A DEUX ***

25,044 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by The Porkchop Express
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I couldn't tell if it was real or a social media act for clicks.

But I generally start with the assumption-fair or not - that people making these solo "talk to the phone" videos are socially isolated and don't have people to talk to about politics or pop culture or whatever's on their mind that day.
CC09LawAg
Well, this is certainly one way for them to go with damage control for this.

I've noticed the narrative shift where now this is somehow some DC vs. not DC thing since this has been universally panned. Seems like they're trying to somehow shift the blame to the larger mishandling of the DC universe vs. this movie just being a steaming pile.
Sea Speed
AG
Anything to avoid some accountability.
YouBet
AG
So, is Matt Reeves carve out considered DCU?
TCTTS
AG
From here on out, James Gunn and Peter Safran will oversee both the DCU and all other DC projects. The Matt Reeves Bat-verse fits into the latter category (not the DCU), under the official DC "Elseworlds" designation. Basically, if it's not a DCU project, it's an "Elseworlds" project, though as far as I know, the Matt Reeves Bat-verse movies/shows are the only "Elsewords" titles currently in development.
YouBet
AG
Thanks.
Quad Dog
AG
To the vast majority of viewers, there is no difference.
TCTTS
AG
I realize that. I was simply answering his question, clarifying in so many words that Reeves' Batman will never interact with Gunn's Superman. Instead, Gunn will be introducing a new/different Batman into the DCU, at which point viewers will absolutely need to understand the difference.
The Porkchop Express
AG
So is Joker 2 worse than Hangover 3? Cuz both are Todd Phillips
TCTTS
AG
Hangover 3 was on TV the other day, I watched maybe the last 3/4 of it, and I gotta be honest… it wasn't nearly as bad as I remember it being in theaters. Maybe it's because they just don't make R-rated comedies like that anymore, and thus even the bad ones feel like a novelty now, but I actually thought it was pretty funny at times, and even had some decently good callbacks/came full circle in some fun, inventive ways.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I've never seen Hangover 3. Took my wife to the 2nd one and felt like we were paying money to watch a rerun.
AtticusMatlock
Curious if this is worth going to see just to see how bad it is. I did it with Megalopolis and was thoroughly entertained by the mess.
jokershady
AG
Cliff.Booth
Quo Vadis?
I watched this last night and holy heck it was terrible. I had heard the bad reviews, had seen the negative hype but as I like musicals figured it was all knuckle draggers upset because it wasn't action packed like the first.

Good lord was I wrong. The musical bits don't make any sense, they almost seemed like commercials during a movie I was trying to watch, but unfortunately they were the actual movie. Phoenix and Gaga were way too talented for this garbage.

How could the same people have made this movie after the first was so amazing?
YouBet
AG
Quo Vadis? said:

I watched this last night and holy heck it was terrible. I had heard the bad reviews, had seen the negative hype but as I like musicals figured it was all knuckle draggers upset because it wasn't action packed like the first.

Good lord was I wrong. The musical bits don't make any sense, they almost seemed like commercials during a movie I was trying to watch, but unfortunately they were the actual movie. Phoenix and Gaga were way too talented for this garbage.

How could the same people have made this movie after the first was so amazing?

Based on information that has since been leaked it almost sounds like Matt Reeves made this movie to troll everyone and/or out of spite.
Cliff.Booth
Quo Vadis? said:

Phoenix and Gaga were way too talented for this garbage.

I'd like to question this a bit. Gaga played a weird chick who sings...which she is. What roles can Phoenix nail? Let's see...offputting psycho, autist, brooding ****up with anxiety...and....yeah, that's it. He's really good at playing a wacko because he is one. I'm getting fatigued with his name being included among genuinely great actors with range. Napoleon was essentially ruined by casting JP because Napoleon, by all accounts, wasn't a neurodivergent ****up, and Pheonix dug deep into his bag of tricks and played him as...himself.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree on Phoenix. Starred in nothing but a bunch of mediocre to bad movies for the past 10-15 years, except for the original Joker which as you pointed out simply fit his oddness. He is now officially in "this movie is probably going to be weird and suck" territory for me
TCTTS
AG

Cliff.Booth
The other one he was in I liked was The Master. That was such a well-shot movie and, as usual, PSH put in an amazing performance. JP did as well, but again, in a role that was custom fit for him. It's all he does well.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, although that was 12+ years ago and to your point, PSH carries it while Phoenix gets to just be weird
Captain Winky
That movie was a giant pile of boring garbage
TCTTS
AG
Note to self: never listen to Captain Winky for recommendations. Because The Master is one of the best movies of the century.
Quo Vadis?
Man I love Joaquin Phoenix. He was great as Johnny Cash, the Emperor in Gladiator, Mel Gibson's brother in Signs, We own the night, and You were never really here.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Quo Vadis? said:

Man I love Joaquin Phoenix. He was great as Johnny Cash, the Emperor in Gladiator, Mel Gibson's brother in Signs, We own the night, and You were never really here.

Almost all of which were 20ish+ years ago
TCTTS
AG
Phoenix was recently set to star in Todd Haynes' next movie, a gay romantic drama, the idea for which Phoenix brought to Haynes. The movie was ultimately greenlit on Phoenix's name alone, was fully cast, scouted, and sets were built in Mexico. However, only FIVE days before filming was set to start, Phoenix dropped out, with cold feet due to the explicit nature of some of the sex scenes in the movie. Again, one that was Phoenix's idea. The movie had already even been pre-sold to foreign markets, which is often how independent movies - which this was - get funding. International distribution rights can be pre-sold off the back of a big name, and then that money is used to fund the film itself. But without Phoenix's name, the movie of course imploded, leaving Haynes and the producers millions of dollars in debt.

That was just in August, and what felt like the entire industry turned on Phoenix. Now, everyone is saying Joker: Folie a Deux's epic failure is karma for his actions. True or not, the back-to-back of Phoenix's ****tiness on the Haynes project + the disaster that is Joker: Folie a Deux = Phoenix at what is no doubt a low point in his career. Some are even saying he'll be uninsurable going forward, due to his wishy-washy nature (he's apparently tried to back out at the last minute on multiple other projects), and Joker now bombing certainly doesn't help his prospects.

Granted, there are rumors that Phoenix is now potentially paying for either the entire Haynes production, or at least a portion of it, but two months later and he still hasn't done so, with no one quite sure if or when he will.

Regardless, the dude is definitely a head case, and it's probably best he goes away for a while/hopefully gets his **** together.
Cliff.Booth
If this is true, the industry is even dumber than I realized.

Quote:

However, what most of the media has caught on to is how the idea of turning 'Joker 2' into a musical came to be. It turns out that it was Phoenix who came up with the idea for the sequel which came to him "in a dream, and he and Phillips brought this idea to former Warners chairman Toby Emmerich, according to sources."

After one insider was asked who the movie was made for, they responded with two words: "For Joaquin."

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/10/8/thr-reveals-joker-folie-deux-idea-came-to-joaquin-phoenix-in-a-dream-1
Quad Dog
AG
Considering his salary was $20 million for a movie that made ~$100 million, then I would agree it was made for him. (to profit off)
YouBet
AG
Wow. He gone be gone.
20ag07
Quote:

Based on information that has since been leaked it almost sounds like Matt Reeves made this movie to troll everyone and/or out of spite.
It's absolute SLANDER against Matt Reeves to associate him with this.
YouBet
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

It's absolute SLANDER against Matt Reeves to associate him with this.
Did I get my Directors wrong? Maybe I did. I can't keep with all of the people trying to do their comic movies.

Was it Todd Phillips then?
rhutton125
AG
This as a musical was intriguing but it sounds like they didn't really commit to the bit. Also, sad musicals are risky.

I thought a Squirrel Girl musical would be a great choice, since it's silly and self-aware and the musical setting could lean into that well.
Cliff.Booth
How this should have gone.

JP: Is anyone asking for a Joker sequel, from what you can guage?
Executive: No, not really.
JP: Well if we made one, who would the target audience be?
Executive: Honestly? White dudes from 17-45
JP: Oh right, so then we make it a musical costarring Lady Gaga?
Executive: Get the **** out of my office.

The Porkchop Express
AG
I would say I liked him in U-Turn, but I'm pretty sure I went to see it because EW said J-Lo was going to be naked.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.