George Lucas purchases back Lucasfilm; will remake the sequel trilogy

3,489 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by torrid
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Obviously April Fools, but, let's discuss. Who all would be in favor of this? Would it get people back in theaters in numbers that TFA saw?
An L of an Ag
AG
If that was real, then **** yes I'd see those!
EMY92
AG
I don't know. What I do know if that if 1-7 is on TV, even if I'm not watching, I may have it on in the background. Same with Rogue 1.

If 8 or 9, plus Solo are on, I will not go to that channel, even for background noise.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I remember some social media post prior to the release of The Force Awakens, pleading with JJ Abrams to "not f*** this up" with regard to the sequel trilogy. While the movie itself was entertaining in a lot of ways and did lay some groundwork for a trilogy that could have been worthwhile, he didn't lay out the entire path the next 2 movies should have followed. That's not all on Abrams, obviously.

If this was real, then yeah, I'd see them. I mean, I saw each of the sequel movies multiple times in the theater even though I did not like them to the same level that I had every other Star Wars movie. Rogue One has been Disney's only Star Wars movie worthy of being mentioned alongside Lucas' 6 movies. Solo is not nearly the bad movie that many state, but it had the misfortune of following the divisive Last Jedi so closely (release-wise).
#FJB
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't have cable, but that would be me too.
CheeseSndwch
He should start with remaking the prequels.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I don't think it can be saved.
TXAG 05
AG
Lucas is 50/50 on making good Star Wars films, the OT being good and the prequels being bad. Not sure if he did the sequels that they would be any better than what we got. I remember reading something that his idea for the sequels would have been telling the story from the point of view of the midichlorians.
Quad Dog
AG
We know George's plans for Star Wars before selling.
First it was to rerelease all the 6 movies in 3D once per year from 2012-2017.
Then he was going to make his trilogy centered around The Whills.
https://medium.com/@Oozer3993/george-lucas-episode-vii-c272563cc3ba

Quote:

The story George was working on changed quite a bit during the year or so he was in control, but one thing remained constant. It was always about a young woman and her quest to become a Jedi Knight. In his original outline, she was a 14-year-old named Taryn
George also conceived of Luke Skywalker as hiding from the world in a cave after something traumatic. He likened the hero to Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now. Also, in the treatment George handed over in 2012, Luke Skywalker died in Episode VIII
Quote:

[The next three Star Wars films] were going to get into a microbiotic world. But there's this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.
Back in the day, I used to say ultimately what this means is we're just cars, vehicles, for the Whills to travel around in…. We're vessels for them. And the conduit is the midi-chlorians. The midi-chlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force.
All the way back to with the Jedi and the Force and everything the whole concept of how things happen was laid out completely from [the beginning] to the end. But I never got to finish. I never got to tell people about it.
If I'd held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.
The Porkchop Express
CheeseSndwch said:

He should start with remaking the prequels.
Especially AOTC.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Remake the prequels with a more adult theme of Anakins turn being due to jealousy over thinking Obi Won and Amidila were having an affair . Maybe even going so far as to think the twins may not be his.
Flashdiaz
AG
Quad Dog said:

Quote:

.... Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.

he's right, everyone would have hated it.
Texas Yarddog
AG
An L of an Ag said:

Only if someone else was in charge of the dialog and he had someone looking over his shoulder to limit the comic relief characters.
The Porkchop Express
And George will be 80 this year. So, no.
Cromagnum
AG
I mean, look at what he did with the re-released versions of three original 3 movies, then the prequels. I don't think he would do much better with the sequels.
Belton Ag
AG
I don't know what part of George Lucas' body of work in the last 30 years would lead anyone to believe he would make better Star Wars movies than Disney.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So is Scorsese.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Texas Yarddog said:

An L of an Ag said:

Only if someone else was in charge of the dialog and he had someone looking over his shoulder to limit the comic relief characters.
Agreed. Personally I think the move is being a hands-on writer/producer, and hiring someone to polish his screenplays, and to direct, just like he did for ESB / ROTJ.
Fenrir
Belton Ag said:

I don't know what part of George Lucas' body of work in the last 30 years would lead anyone to believe he would make better Star Wars movies than Disney.
It's been 35 years since the guy was involved with a good movie but yeah he'll fix Star Wars.
Ag Since 83
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

And George will be 80 this year. So, no.
So? If we can have 80+ year olds in elective office making things great for everyone, then an 80-year-old filmmaker should be fine as well.
#FJB
Belton Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So is Scorsese.

And so is Ridley Scott. But let's be honest, those guys aren't at the top of their game.
Flashdiaz
AG
but at least he had a rough plan for 7,8,9... which is more than what Disney had.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So is Scorsese.
One has directed movies consistently every 3-5 years since the late 1960s. The other directed 3 movies in the 1970s and 3 movies that most critics didn't like 20-25 years ago.

Not sure that is any kind of legit comparison.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Flashdiaz said:

but at least he had a rough plan for 7,8,9... which is more than what Disney had.

Which was ****-all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Brian Earl Spilner said:

So is Scorsese.
One has directed movies consistently every 3-5 years since the late 1960s. The other directed 3 movies in the 1970s and 3 movies that most critics didn't like 20-25 years ago.

Coppola is 84 and has Megalopolis coming out.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

So is Scorsese.

Coppola is 84 and has Megalopolis coming out.
So what?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So there's your "legit comparison".
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So there's your "legit comparison".
Lucas has directed six movies. THX 1138, American Grafitti, and Episodes 1-4.

This is Coppola.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's the the third time you change the goalposts.

Your initial point was to dismiss this idea based on Lucas being 80, which holds no water in my opinion. Consider the following:

1. All of Lucas' contemporaries (Spielberg, Scorsese, Coppola) are still making movies. Hell, John Williams is 90+ and still working.
2. Lucas actually had a rough, three movie story arc planned out, as opposed to what Disney did. (Make it up as they went, and start each movie basically from scratch.)
3. It's his story and his universe to begin with.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Your initial point was to dismiss this idea based on Lucas being 80, which holds no water in my opinion. Consider the following:

1. All of Lucas' contemporaries (Spielberg, Scorsese, Coppola) are still making movies. Hell, John Williams is 90+ and still working.
2. Lucas actually had a rough, three movie story arc planned out, as opposed to what Disney did. (Make it up as they went, and start each movie basically from scratch.)

I'm more of a casual star wars fan but do you know what his idea was? How it differed from what ended up released by Disney?
Rocagnante
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Remake the prequels with a more adult theme of Anakins turn being due to jealousy over thinking Obi Won and Amidila were having an affair . Maybe even going so far as to think the twins may not be his.

Or with Jar Jar really being a Sith lord but trained Drunken Master style…
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

OK, then here is the mean way of saying what I was trying to say nicely because I love GL and Star Wars.

1) George Lucas hasn't directed a good movie since 1977.
2) His idea for the sequels sounded terrible.
3) He's slowed down based on his public appearances in the last few years.
4) The prequels should have been immensely better if not for his ego to direct them and have total control.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Did it sound worse than "Somehow, Palpatine returned"?
Belton Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Did it sound worse than "Somehow, Palpatine returned"?

Every line uttered by Jar Jar Binks sounds worse than that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.