What Movie Exceeded Your Expectations the Most?

7,473 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by taxpreparer
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tangent Thread - which movie did you go into with high expectations and they were beaten?

For me, it was easily Top Gun Maverick. I went in hoping for a very likeable movie and was blown away. I have always been an aviation nut, and there's plenty to like about a fighter jet movie. I remember reading about how the folks involved considered it a love letter to aviation, and about the practical effects they were using. You could tell just how excited that team was about their movie, which in turn, made me really excited for it.

Easily could have been a let down, but they balanced the fan service with the fun/serious nature with the current technology available to film it.
Sapper Redux
Misread the prompt. I'll say Jurassic Park. I was insanely hyped for it. I had read the book 3 or 4 times. I loved Spielberg's movies. And I was still just blow away by the spectacle.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
D&D: Honor Among Thieves
double aught
AG
Crazy Stupid Love
maverick2076
Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse
taxpreparer
AG
Rocky. My girlfriend dragged me to this stupid movie about a boxer, and I loved it.
citizenkane06
AG
A couple of movies I had to watch for a film class at A&M: Gold Diggers of 1933 and A Foreign Affair. The former is a musical, and I knew nothing about the latter, but ended up loving both.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Gotta agree that Top Gun Maverick far exceeded my low expectations for that one, but I actually have three other answers for this question.

In the summer of 1977, I had just turned 10 and was sitting in the yard doing whatever 10-year-old me wanted when my Dad came out and asked if I wanted to go to a movie. What kid is saying no to that? Star Wars was all the rage by this time, but it was not something that interested me. Not one bit. In fact, I literally thought the movie would be terrible. At that time, my favorite science fiction was the Star Trek TV series, Space: 1999, Planet of the Apes, and Godzilla. Star Wars looked terrible from the ads that I'd seen on TV. When we left the Palms Twin movie theater in Sugar Land, I was a changed kid. The first thing I did when getting back home was get all the cardboard and tape I could find so I could build a fleet of crude TIE Fighters and X-Wings. I would soon have a (malicious) nickname bestowed upon me by my 6th grade peers - Mr. Star Wars.

Roughly on May 20, 1980, I convinced my dad to take me to the Westchase theater in SW Houston to see if we could get tickets for The Empire Strikes Back. Star Wars was my favorite movie at the time, and I was insanely excited to see the sequel. I knew it would be good, after all, it was a new Star Wars movie. That became my favorite movie for a while, but eventually both Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi surpassed it. Then I got it on Beta tape in 1984 and upon rewatch, with the knowledge of how the story unfolded in Jedi, TESB reclaimed my favorite movie throne, where it remains to this day.

As a life long monster movie fan, I believe that I have already seen the best one that can ever be made, that being 1979's Alien. Sequels to monster movies present a lot of challenges with regard to rehashing what the viewers have already seen, so when I found out as a freshman at A&M that a sequel was coming, I was both very happy and very dubious. Aliens came out later that summer, and while it changed the window dressing very well on essentially the same story (humans trapped in a place with monsters and no way out), damn did it blow me away. Aliens remains one of the best sequels ever made.
#FJB
Know Your Enemy
AG
Tombstone

I'm not a fan of westerns and was basically dragged to this at the theater while at A&M. I ****ing loved it.
Sponge
AG
Das Boot. One of my favorites of all time. After seeing run silent run deep and some other sub movies wasn't prepared that a sub movie would be that good.
The Marksman
AG
The Dark Knight
I knew it was going to be really good, but didn't know how great it truly would be
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Top Gun Maverick is a good one

Mad Max Fury Road blew me away. I never expected an action movie to look so beautiful.

But Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) takes the cake. That IP hadn't produced a good movie in decades, nobody was asking for it, there was no reason to expect anything from it, and it was awesome.
Thanks and gig'em
Whos Juan
AG
Cabin in the Woods. I heard some positive buzz on it, then intentionally avoided any spoilers.
M.C. Swag
AG
Whos Juan said:

Cabin in the Woods. I heard some positive buzz on it, then intentionally avoided any spoilers.
Damn you, this was gonna be my post!!!!

Easily the most enjoyable movie theatre experience I had in my life. Walked in (almost by accident) with no knowledge or expectations other than "mah, i like campy horror films." And it ended up being 1 of my favorite movies of all time. Just great popcorn fun.
javajaws
AG
Crazy Rich Asians. Didn't expect to love it before I first saw it...seen it multiple times since. Just love that movie.
Max Power
AG
John Wick - I can remember the trailer coming out and thinking it would just be a run of the mill action movie. Then the reviews started coming out and it sounded like there was a lot more there. I went to go see it and was totally blown away and told anyone who would listen to go see it. Now John Wick films are basically their own genre within action movies themselves.
dreyOO
Sideways

I remember making fun of that movie so much just based on the trailers. I was definitely not in the target demographic.

Fast forward about ten years and I finally got around to watching it. Loved it. One of my favorites now.

Glad I never saw it till I was a bit more mature.
The Anchor
AG
Whiplash

Saw it on a recommendation here. Had no expectations. It was an incredible movie.
nai06
AG
The Barbie Movie

I didn't have much of an idea of what it would be about but ended up really enjoying it.
hunter2012
AG
Edge of Tomorrow, I went in with very minimal expectations because their Advertisement campaign was non-existent for some strange reason. I think it was the fact that they couldn't decide on the title. I ended up seeing it again 2 more times that weekend with different friends that I was able to convince to go see it. It's definitely the largest gap between my expectations and reality that I can recall.
El Gallo Blanco
Hell or High Water. I went into a matinee randomly one saturday after it came out. I had heard nothing about it and wasn't expecting much. Very few people in there...the only person within a few rows of me was a country lookin old codger...but everyone in there was highly entertained start to finish. I will watch that one any time it is on.
Vince Blake
Most recent for me would be Everything Everywhere All at Once.
Farmer1906
AG
Most Netflix originals do nothing for me, but Free Guy & The Adam Project were both really enjoyable. They didn't exceed the most but were pleasant surprises.
rich1232
AG
Hot Fuzz - Went with a group of friends to see one of the Spiderman movies and they were essentially sold out. We all decided to still see a movie anyway and picked the only other thing playing at the time without knowing a single thing about it.

It was for the greater good.

FightinTexasAg15
AG
Guardians of the Galaxy. Had been following the marvel movies, but had no idea what to expect going into this one. A talking raccoon and tree? Is this where Marvel jumps the gun? I walked out with that being one of my favorites.
Farmer1906
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Guardians of the Galaxy. Had been following the marvel movies, but had no idea what to expect going into this one. A talking raccoon and tree? Is this where Marvel jumps the gun? I walked out with that being one of my favorites.
I was thinking about putting that, but I was pretty hyped. At the time I worked with a big-time comicbook nerd and he had me drinking the GotG koolaid.
bagger05
AG
Guardians of the Galaxy. Thought it looked terrible from the previews but turned out great.

Top Gun: Maverick. I was skeptical when I heard about it. Previews had me convinced it was going to be good and I got pretty excited. Didn't expect it to be one of my favorite movies of the last 10 years.

Unstoppable (train movie with Chris Pine and Denzel Washington). Had zero expectations and it looked really dumb from the preview. But turned out very solid. 90 minutes, good guys save the day, didn't have to think about it.

No Country for Old Men. Don't usually love this kind of movie but can't remember one that stayed with me after like this one. Read the book recently. One of the best adaptations I've seen.
Prophet00
AG
Inception - I love all things Christopher Nolan, and was really excited for this one. Blew me away on its originality and was one that we talked about forever afterwards.

Arrival - looked like a great sci-fi movie in the trailers, but it was a huge gut punch while viewing it. Haven't seen a movie in awhile that hit me that hard, in a good way.
Big Cat `93
AG
Arrival. I was expecting a sci fi movie and got a whole lot more.

Honorable mention to The Dark Knight. I don't care for superhero movies and watched it only because of what people were saying about Ledger's performance. They weren't exaggerating.
DallasTeleAg
Interesting question because I rarely go into a movie with expectations unless it's an IP o already like, a director I like, or a sequel to a movie I liked.

Besides movies like that, any movie I decide to watch and ultimately really like exceeds my expectations. I expect to go into a movie and be entertained, have a good character arc, cohesive plot, and decent acting. You exceed any of that, and you exceed my expectations.

Based on that, I be most movies I would rank in my top 50 of all time have exceeded my expectations.
Rex Racer
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

This is mine. From the opening sequence, I was hooked.
boy09
AG
Source Code. I really didn't want to see it, the trailers looked terrible. A buddy dragged me along to the theater and i came out pleasantly surprised. That movie was great.
Claude!
The Way of the Gun starring Ryan Phillippe and Benicio del Toro.
TellMeMore
+1 Das Boot so in German with English subtitles. And the overdubed version as well.
The first time I saw it it was in a small narrow theater. Really help the effect
aTmAg
AG
T2 and Frequency
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.