Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul July 30th Live on Netflix

4,049 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by GoAgs92
bonfarr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At first glance at headlines I thought this was a joke but apparently it is the real deal. What are the odds this fight actually happens? Tyson is 57 years old and hasn't stepped into a ring for 3 years when he had the exhibition bout with Roy Jones Jr who was also well past his prime. I have not paid any attention to Jake Paul and his boxing exploits as I assume his wins are all against glass jaw nobodies, anyone else know better? Is Paul a legit fighter?

I am still dubious this thing happens but if so I am watching because Mike Tyson. I hope he is in shape and isn't just going to slob around the ring for a big payday before flopping to a Social Media influencer goofball.

Need to edit title it is July 20
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Geriatric Punk
AG
If Mike lands one punch it's going to be over.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Average Joe
AG
Jake Paul isn't terrible, but the one fight he had against a real boxer he lost. The rest have been washed up UFC fighters, or nobodies. I have no idea how good of shape Tyson is in, but Paul hasn't fought anyone with a 10th of the experience as him.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Praying for a good punch to knock that kid's ass out.
kosmostx
Hoping Iron Mike puts the youtuber out of our misery once and for all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
StinkyPinky
AG
I just hope Iron Mike treats it as a boxing match and not a sparring session. Zero chance that Paul has a chance if its a legit fight. Bite his ear off Mike!!!
PlanoAg98
AG
Gimmick fight or not. It worked. I'll be watching it.
Gigem314
AG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Is this Netflix's first live event?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Is this Netflix's first live event?

No
Mongolian Christmas
It will definitely be an interesting affair. Paul is actually a talented boxer, but Tyson was an animal. I'm not giving an easy fight to either of them.
JCA1
AG
Seen some clips of Tyson working the heavy bag in the last couple years. He still looks absolutely terrifying to me.
JoCoAg09
AG
I watched Tyson's exhibition match with Roy Jones Jr. a few years ago and it was just a hug-fest. I'm hoping that was just Mike not really trying too hard.
citizenkane06
AG
Supposedly Tyson has sciatica and was recently seen using a cane. Hopefully it's a legit bout.
El Gallo Blanco
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Praying for a good punch to knock that kid's ass out.
This, just seems like it would be too good to be true.

That being said...Mike Tyson seems to have cleaned his body out and is a different physical specimen right now than he was just a few years ago.

I would LOVE to see Jake Paul get knocked the F out.
Mongolian Christmas
I don't know anything about him, what's the hate?
duck79
AG
He's a social media influencer and a very confident/cocky one. His brother is currently a big player in the WWE too. They both have done very well for themselves but you definitely either completely hate them or think they're funny.

I actually appreciate how well he has done in the ring. He isn't a sideshow and does have some legitimate skill in the ring.
El Gallo Blanco
Mongolian Christmas said:

I don't know anything about him, what's the hate?
He's just so over-the-top cocky and abrasive. It's his entire shtick. Has one of the most punchable faces in the world.

His fights are basically rigged and always against people WAY past their prime.
El Gallo Blanco
duck79 said:

He's a social media influencer and a very confident/cocky one. His brother is currently a big player in the WWE too. They both have done very well for themselves but you definitely either completely hate them or think they're funny.

I actually appreciate how well he has done in the ring. He isn't a sideshow and does have some legitimate skill in the ring.
True, he has surprised me...that being said, he will never participate in a fair fight and could never sniff pro.
duck79
AG
Very true. I've just been surprised at the power he has shown even though he would never get off some of those punches against more polished and ready fighters.
El Gallo Blanco
duck79 said:

Very true. I've just been surprised at the power he has shown even though he would never get off some of those punches against more polished and ready fighters.
Yep...imo, people who think Tyson at 57 is just going to step in there and crush him need to tap the breaks. Although I personally hope that happens.
PlanoAg98
AG
I didn't even know who Jake Paul was prior to this post. I did a few You Tube searches and he's fighting out of shape dad bod guys,.
Ag_07
AG
Like them or hate them the Paul brothers are geniuses

They both have a background in wrestling and were state winners in HS. This all started as a stunt but then as he kept winning he took it more seriously.

I'm not a fan but I watched the Netflix special and while they come ass as idiot influencers they actually know exactly what they're doing. I can respect that
Pahdz

johnnyblaze36
AG
duck79 said:

Well said. I actually grew to like Jake Paul after watching Untold: Jake Paul the Problem Child on Netflix. Thought it was a really good watch and I find him to be pretty funny. The gotcha hat bit cracks me up. And he definitely works his ass off and seems to have a real passion for making boxing a relevant sport again.

But I totally get the hate for him as well.
An L of an Ag
AG
****, I'll probably watch this.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG

This moment had me terrified when I first saw it.
LMCane
yeah... I am thinking Iron Mike may be taking this seriously.

The Porkchop Express
LMCane said:

yeah... I am thinking Iron Mike may be taking this seriously.

This seems like the most fascinating event in a long time. If it were any other boxer, I would assume they were on the take and going to not try and kill Jake Paul. But Tyson never went bankrupt, never had to go to rehab, and got amazingly popular again thanks to the Hangover movies. He's been married since 2009, has 2 kids, has a big-time charity, "wrote" a best-selling autobiography, and seems very normal and stable considering how he was / portrayed in the 1980s and 1990s.

Not that Chuck Liddell is end-all ,be-all but I do like this take here. If Tyson is taking a dive, Paul wins. if Tyson connects with him once, it's over.

LMCane
you left out that one of Tyson's children who was only 4 years old died in a horrible accident.

he has really turned his life and career around the last 20 years!

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=7677067
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
bagger05
AG
Average Joe said:

Jake Paul isn't terrible, but the one fight he had against a real boxer he lost. The rest have been washed up UFC fighters, or nobodies. I have no idea how good of shape Tyson is in, but Paul hasn't fought anyone with a 10th of the experience as him.
I don't even really classify him as a boxer. The dude has never expressed any interest in fighting anyone that is considered to be good. Refuses to measure himself by any relevant standard.

Don't think I can bring myself to watch it. Anything other than Paul being knocked the f out would be too big of a disappointment.
Average Joe
AG
Agree completely, and would not call him a real boxer, either. He's an exhibitionist at best. This is a hobby and money making scheme to him.
YouBet
AG
I bet this Jake Paul person watched the training video and had this reaction: "Ah…FML."

Tyson is in incredible shape for his age.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.