Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul July 30th Live on Netflix

4,046 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by GoAgs92
Bazooka Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm calling a Jake Paul win now. Followed by a rematch with a Tyson win. Followed by a final showdown to settle things. It's all rigged for multiple paydays.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

But Tyson never went bankrupt, never had to go to rehab, and got amazingly popular again thanks to the Hangover movies.
Don't forget all the mysteries he and Pigeon solved all around the world.
taxpreparer
AG
Bazooka Joe said:

I'm calling a Jake Paul win now. Followed by a rematch with a Tyson win. Followed by a final showdown to settle things. It's all rigged for multiple paydays.

Stallone needs to sue for copyright infringement, I'd this happens.
Whos Juan
AG
taxpreparer said:

Bazooka Joe said:

Stallone needs to sue for copyright infringement, I'd this happens.
Not gonna lie, if they reenact the entire match from Rocky I will have a newfound respect for both Jake Paul and Mike Tyson.
redline248
AG
This Paul guy has to know what he's getting into. Tyson can release all the short training videos he wants, but how does anyone know for sure he's really training like he would have in the 90s? He's likely driving up the interest for the event.

Just based on what I've read about the youtuber in this thread, there is no way he gets in the ring with a fully trained Iron Mike that wants to hurt somebody.
bagger05
AG
He won't get in the ring with any real boxer period. It'll be a spectacle. Hell all of us who aren't even boxing fans are talking about it on an A&M sports message board so it's working. As big of a tool as this dude seems to be, gotta hand it to him he can get attention.
agz win
AG
Watching the training videos confirmed what I suspected - Mike Tyson is still a killing machine and intimidating as hell. There is absolutely no chance that Jake Paul actually steps in the ring. Wish I had Netflix, though, just in case.
The Kraken
AG
Heck of a marketing move by both parties. I've never heard of Paul until now
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
MookieBlaylock
AG
redline248 said:

This Paul guy has to know what he's getting into. Tyson can release all the short training videos he wants, but how does anyone know for sure he's really training like he would have in the 90s? He's likely driving up the interest for the event.

Just based on what I've read about the youtuber in this thread, there is no way he gets in the ring with a fully trained Iron Mike that wants to hurt somebody.

He pays the other fighters to lose
Of course he is getting in the ring
He will ha e a deal just like Roy Jones did that Tyson won't unleash his full power

Boxing has always been a circus
Proposition Joe
Next match Tyson will have to face 10 men in one day in order to save the town.
bonfarr
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Next match Tyson will have to face 10 men in one day in order to save the town.

No, Tyson is a guy you spring on the other guy at the last minute as the 10th boxer but hopefully you've made a deal with Tyson so Your manager can yank on his tie, and Tyson takes a dive
Proposition Joe
Never con a con-man, especially one who's better than you are.
Petrino1
I think people forget that Tyson lost 3 of his last 4 matches as a professional boxer to guys like Kevin McBride and Danny Williams, when he was 38 years old. He was obviously in much better shape and a better boxer at 38 than he is at 58 (turns 58 before the Paul fight). Tyson fought an exhibition fight again Roy Jones Jr in 2020, that was pretty boring and ended in a draw. Jones Jr was 51 at the time.

Hate on Paul all you want, but he is 27 years old, and in the prime of his boxing career. He seems to have pretty decent boxing skills and looks to be taking it seriously. He is 9-1 with 6 KO's. Of course, Tyson wins easily if they fight when Tyson is 27 years old, but he is 58, and I dont think he has much of a chance against a much younger boxer.

Bregxit
AG
The Jones/Tyson exhibition was just a sparring match. Neither were trying to hurt the other.

If Paul/Tyson turns into a real boxing match rather than a fixed exhibition, Paul will probably be in trouble. If it is just another exhibition then it'll be whatever they've agreed to ahead of time for a payday.

I for one hope the real Tyson is unleashed.
The Porkchop Express
From ESPN, a pretty sound analysis of what Paul is doing here.

Following Paul's only pro loss, a split-decision defeat to Tommy Fury last year, he turned his attention to his bread and butter: MMA opponents. Paul soundly defeated Nate Diaz in August and then announced he would begin to develop his skills the ol' fashioned way with bouts against "real boxers."

Those "real boxers" were unquestionably far below the level of Paul's MMA foes like Diaz, Ben Askren and especially Anderson Silva, but Jake's crossover events were losing steam. And it made some sense from a narrative standpoint. Knock out a few part-time boxers with built-up records -- the same way star fighters like Canelo Alvarez and Gervonta Davis did on the way up -- with an eye on title contention.
Paul scored a first-round KO of journeyman August in December and followed up with a first-round TKO of another such opponent in Bourland on Saturday. But those bouts didn't seem to elicit much attention.
So Paul has probably made the prudent move with a return to what he does best: star in a circus bout against a fellow big name. Whether Paul ever circles back to his stated goal of becoming cruiserweight champion remains to be seen. But this money-making event with Tyson should do little to change that trajectory. It will only stand to boost Paul's profile, and again, it should be an exhibition where Paul doesn't lose any boxing credibility. -- Coppinger

Translation - fighting "real" boxers of his own skill level isn't getting asses in the seats so he's going after a big fat payday that odds are will be an exhibition in which he gets some, gives some, and either it's a draw or he wins/loses a split decision.

I never heard of this guy until recently, probably because I'm way closer to Tyson's age than Paul's age, but as a fan of the former baddest man alive, yeah, I'd like to see him break script and try to knock this guy into next Tuesday. Tyson was 45-1 at one point in his career and finished 50-6, losing to Holyfield twice, Lewis once, and failing a drug test that cost him a W against Golota. When I was in my 20s, every fight he was in was a must on pay-per-view. Hope he comes prepared.
bonfarr
AG
I read a quote from a current MMA star that expressed doubt that Tyson is legitimately training hard for this bout. He noted in the video Tyson posted where he is training that Tyson has zero sweat on his body or gear and that it was just played up to get buzz for the fight. Hope he is wrong and that Tyson actually takes this serious and doesnt just play around for a big payday.
Bregxit
AG
bonfarr said:

I read a quote from a current MMA star that expressed doubt that Tyson is legitimately training hard for this bout. He noted in the video Tyson posted where he is training that Tyson has zero sweat on his body or gear and that it was just played up to get buzz for the fight. Hope he is wrong and that Tyson actually takes this serious and doesnt just play around for a big payday.

He is certainly sweaty in today's update.

GrapevineAg
AG
GD, he's just a little older than me and still scary AF.
GoAgs92
AG
Don't know a single detail about this but Tyson is old old old for a boxer and will be winded after one round.

These "exhibition" fights usually have some weird rules about what they can and can't do, the glove sizes etc.

I agree with Bazooka Joe...it's going to be rigged pile of crap.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.