***Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire***

5,580 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by State of Texas
State of Texas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe not needed, but definitely didn't want it to be confused with the other thread as we get closer to 3/22.

The Spengler family returns to where it all started the iconic New York City firehouse to team up with the original Ghostbusters, who've developed a top-secret research lab to take busting ghosts to the next level. But when the discovery of an ancient artifact unleashes an evil force, Ghostbusters new and old must join forces to protect their home and save the world from a second Ice Age.

New 90 second clip

State of Texas
Very cool non-spoiler behind the scene video with Adam Savage, Jason Reitman and McKenna Grace. Worth your time if you are a fan.

State of Texas
World premiere is tonight in NYC. Expect some impressions to be dropped on social media later this evening. I believe the review embargo will be lifted next Tuesday. Beware of spoilers if that kind of thing bothers you, otherwise enjoy our short time in the Hollywood limelight.

Fun interview with new and old GB's this morning on CBS.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I just bought my IMAX ticket for opening night for an almost empty theater.

This thing is gonna flop hard.
C@LAg
let's be honest.

recycled tripe like Twister 2, This, Indy 5 - only appeals to us older moviegoers who saw these things when we were kids kids -30. It is made to appeal primarily to our sense of nostalgia.

Just throwing in younger characters with cameos from the older actors is not going to sell it to most of the 30 and younger audience who have never seen the originals.

Yes, there will be the occasional exception film that breaks out. But these things bomb way more than they are profitable.
State of Texas
Hoping that isn't the case, but if Jason Reitman and Co. got us 2 more GB films after GB 2 or after the dreaded re-boot then that's 2 more than I ever expected. Being able to take my 9 year old to Afterlife and this and see it on the big screen is enough for me. I think this story will wrap up the arcs for the OGB's and if this is the last one, hopefully it leaves most everything tied up except for a probable end credits scene.
sburg2007
It saddens me to no end seeing empty theaters for this. I'm hoping it'll catch on but, I don't expect it. I love ghostbusters and always have. This 39 year old will be there opening night.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I wonder if they just mistimed the release.

Thanksgiving is a great time for nostalgia movies because families are back together with free time to fill and so a flick with great nostalgia + new younger faces can be a real crowd pleasure. Afterlife was a blast with my parents and family.

But March is a totally different vibe.

I've been looking forward to this one, but might not have time to catch it in theater.
Thanks and gig'em
State of Texas
It's certainly possible. Ideally a summer or Halloween/holiday release…especially with the frozen aspect of the movie would make sense.

In reading about the premiere on Thursday without any spoilers, there is a mid credits scene, no post credit scene…and there isn't anything that would hint at another movie after this…so we'll see how the box office does. I'll appreciate the fact that Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan are life long fans and made sure they paid attention to the little things and will continue to carry the torch for the franchise.

There still is a limited comic book series that comes out at the end of the month that bridges the 2 year gap between what happened in Afterlife and the events of Frozen Empire, plus there is a future animated Netflix movie planned. Not sure the status of that because the news of it initially came out right around the time afterlife was released.

I'm seeing it Friday night solo and on Sunday with my son.

State of Texas
The Porkchop Express
We had a party at our house to watch Ray Parker Jr. guest star on Gimme a Break in 1984 with several of our neighbors because Ghostbusters was such a big hit.

FWAppraiser
AG
Reviews are out now from the premiere. About what I expected. Most seem to think it's better than Afterlife but nothing special.

I, for one, can't wait.
State of Texas
Same. I know I will most likely love the film, but yeah, can only hope the word of mouth for this is good. I was hoping for a higher score than 47 on RT.
sburg2007
I went to the 2 pm showing today. I'm a big ghostbusters fan. I thought it was ok. Nothing great nothing terrible.
State of Texas
That's what concerns me. Not trying to derail this at all, but that was my exact feelings when I walked out of the 2016 reboot...and it never got better...just got worse as I started to really look at what I watched in future viewings.
FWAppraiser
AG
Seems to be the consensus. Taking the kids this weekend. As a life-long Ghosthead, I'm just glad for at least one more ride with 3/4 of the OGs. Not expecting greatness. Just hoping for decent.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty fun. My theater seemed to love it.
Casual Cynic
It had enough humor and the pace kept things going.
kyledr04
AG
I'm going tonight. When I bought the tickets yesterday there was only 4 others already bought.
Heineken-Ashi
Going tonight. Couldn't care less what critics think. I care whats fans of the franchise think. As long as they don't hate it, it's another step forward. Eventually though, it would be cool to get a non-formulaic, Empire Strikes Back type of story where the conflict isn't immediately resolved and some dark things happen, setting up a finale movie that goes all out.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
agdoc2001
AG
Could someone report back on how much Patton Oswalt there is in this one?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe 10 minutes of screentime.
agdoc2001
AG
Thanks BES! I can tolerate that. Watched the original 2 with the boys this month and they loved them. Will probably grab tickets and take them this week.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jokershady
AG
Got tickets to take the family tomorrow! Wife and youngest hadn't seen Afterlife and they watched it earlier today so they'd be caught up….

Can't wait!
sburg2007
agdoc2001 said:

Could someone report back on how much Patton Oswalt there is in this one?

Yea, it's not that bad,
trueaggie2782
AG
Enjoyed it. Loved the Easter egg at the end when someone in the crowd yelled say something dickless.
sburg2007
That was the biggest laugh I had. Apparently it's made 42 million Friday pm. Hopefully it keeps its legs!

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office-ghostbusters-frozen-empire-1235865730/
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Maybe 10 minutes of screentime.

Not even that much. I think it ultimately was less than five.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Got back a little while ago. Loved it and hope they keep going.

My only complaint is some of the CGI just doesn't work as well as the effects they were using in the original movies, but that's a small complaint.
HalifaxAg
AG
I took the family to see it, my 15 year old was actually very eager to see it. Good story, just a fun movie to watch, hoping for one more trip down this road but they will need a serious villian (like Samhain from the animated series).
State of Texas
Enjoyed it quite a bit. The juggling of the cast wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Big props to Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan for expanding the GB universe and making what it seemed a lot like an extended RGB episode. Loved the cold open. Kumail had some great lines and scenes as did Dan Aykroyd. Would have loved to see more of Garakka. More terrifying than Gozer, IMO. Wasn't a huge fan of Phoebe's subplot.

8/10. I hope they keep making them and I'm fine if the OGB's never fire another proton pack again and just stay on as consultants.
State of Texas
Sam Hain/Boogeyman would be legit. Would also like for them to eventually have to bust and trap a ghost w/o proton packs and put their heads together. There were a few RGB episodes like that.
trueaggie2782
AG
HalifaxAg said:

I took the family to see it, my 15 year old was actually very eager to see it. Good story, just a fun movie to watch, hoping for one more trip down this road but they will need a serious villian (like Samhain from the animated series).

Or the Sandman.
Al Bula
AG
Holy crap, Boogieman and Sandman from the cartoon terrified me back in the day!
The Porkchop Express
sburg2007 said:

That was the biggest laugh I had. Apparently it's made 42 million Friday pm. Hopefully it keeps its legs!

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office-ghostbusters-frozen-empire-1235865730/

That's the projection for the weekend.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.