***Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire***

5,781 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by State of Texas
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this something I need to see in imax or is that just a nice to see?
sburg2007
I'm
Stupid and can't read.
AJ02
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Is this something I need to see in imax or is that just a nice to see?

Imax not necessary. We saw it in 4DX and the only thing that was neat about that was they would make it really cold and blast cold air as the ghost was freezing everything over. But kinda not worth it other than that.
jokershady
AG
Just got out of theaters. Not sure if we're posting spoilers on this thread but figured since it's out we are but I'll tag a few things here just in case.

Overall we enjoyed it…didn't quite have the mystery of Afterlife but had some fun moments.

I enjoyed the original ghostbusters being in it more and was glad Peck had a bit more screen time than expected….the dickless joke at the end had me laughing

The fire master stuff was kinda lame but it wasn't terrible….and teenage nerd girl boss getting in trouble a second time after blasting a moving, roaring, concrete lion was just dumb….

The callbacks were fun….especially when Ray pulled up to the library from the opening of the original and the curator or whoever that guy was was the same actor….the liquor bottle near the end was also a nice touch….
agdaddy04
AG
Yea, decided to take my 10 year old daughter to see it and did a Dolby theater instead of the imax. Got two cool pens by doing the Dolby. Overall was good, but had some of the similar complaints as the person above me.

A slight annoyance was that they were playing Dune in the theater next to ours and had it turned up so loud it occasionally made our dialogue hard to hear.
Casual Cynic
My theatre really seemed to enjoy it, I think that helped. Spoiler here, some people are making it out like Phoebe was having a gay thing for the ghost Melody, which I didn't get.
agdaddy04
AG
I thought it during one scene but then just thought she was wanting to be understood
Heineken-Ashi
Overall.. B-

Don't want to spoil anything..

There was an opportunity to take it down a very dark and menacing path, but they are trying to build a younger fanbase and sell merch, can't scare the kids off. Main complaint was not enough time with the big bad. You didn't really even see him do anything that bad. There was no feel of "this could be the end of the world" like the original. There wasn't even a doubt at any point that the GB's would win. Never felt like anyone was ever at risk of dying.. which is crazy considering how many opportunities it provided. And it was almost too light hearted through and through, so even when they did try to make you feel like there were stakes, it just didn't deliver. I STILL get creepiness from the GB's explaining the architecture of the building and the folklore in the original, and the scene with Ray and Winston reciting Revelation gives me goosebumps. The last movie delivered a tiny bit of that and had real stakes when they took out Egon in the beginning. And Gozer had them on the ropes at the end and it actually felt like someone wasn't going to make it. You just don't get that eerie, almost chilling feeling here. Patton and Dan explaining the folklore in this one doesn't match either.

But at the end of the day, it was a really fun movie with tons of great callbacks, easter eggs, and comedic lines. A little campy at times, but not too much to ruin it. I would imagine kids would love this one.

It's another building block. Would prefer a little more serious tone and much much higher stakes in the next one. You re-established the franchise. You've established all the characters. The team is in place in their proper home. Time to take it up a notch and take the franchise to the next level. No reason you can't make these movies for a long, long time. But they can't keep being so formulaic. What made the original great was the incredible balance between comedy and almost horror. You have to try to strike that balance a little better.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Daveintx
This on no way says it was a bad movie, but it probably ends up towards the least of my favorites..... and no, in my list,0 2016 doesn't exist.

It just felt like they spent way more time setting up the big bad than actually fighting it....

And can we please be done with mini marshmallow... I get it,it sells merchandise but please....

Nice use of old commercials during the news broadcast lemme say though
AJ02
AG
If Rick Moranis had made an appearance I might have literally cried.

I wonder why they don't do a tie-in with Oscar (Dana's baby).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I was convinced someone would be revealed to be Oscar.
State of Texas
I know there has to be some suspension of thinking here but…

I don't fully understand how Garakka was trapped into the containment unit if logically it had a big hole in in because the ghosts were just released from it. I understand the ECU resetting itself and being able to suck him in, but physically, isn't the unit damaged?
AJ02
AG
Isn't it more of a force field keeping them contained, versus a physical structure?
State of Texas
I was thinking it was both. Similar to how the lab was able to keep ghosts. The glass would have been able to break if the proton fields were down.
Heineken-Ashi
One last thing..

I really didn't like the firemaster thing. GB was always a little bit suspension of belief with the premise of ghosts and guys that can shoot and catch them. And some of the more extreme ideas like a giant marshmellow man and a painting that comes to life with an evil spirit are pretty out there, though both were VERY well designed, explained, and actually sort of fit inside of a "ok, well given what we know, that makes sense" kind of box. But an entire lineage of people with mutant like abilities as the only people who can stop the most evil entity ever.. I hated it. GB's was supposed to be real people using science to defeat ghosts. Now they have introduced superpowers. It completely changes the whole universe. Why need GB's if there are superhero's? To be research consultants and coaches for the heros? Hate it. Hate it. It should always be about GB's persevering through science. Phoebe even did figure out a new way to fight using her scientific knowledge. And they STILL used superpowers. Dumb. Don't do it again. It cheapens the franchise.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
AJ02
AG
Hadn't thought about that, but I agree with you.

For me, I saw ghostbusters when I was a kid in the 80s and I've loved it since day 1. I didn't understand half the jokes because they were intended for adults and they flew right over my head. But I guess that's the thing that sort of "disappoints" me the most. The OG Ghostbusters was for adults. They're tailoring the new ones to bring in kids. I understand why they're doing it, but it just doesn't hit the same for me.

Once the nostalgia parts are gone (Murray, Aykroyd, Hudson, etc) I don't know that they've done enough with it to make me keep watching future iterations.
kyledr04
AG
My oldest and I enjoyed it. Slow at times and pretty obvious plot but fun. I was glad we got to see it and all the old guys one more time. Also enjoyed the NY setting. We've been to the firehouse before.
State of Texas
My gut feeling today is that we will eventually get a 3rd movie out of the Spengler family. I don't know how far down the road it may be. Jason and Gil have just begun on SNL 1975. I definitely want them producing the next film, but maybe just hand the writing and directing off to someone else. Involved enough to make sure we don't have another GB 2016, but a story that hasn't been covered yet or only done in the cartoons.

I would love it if they leaned on J. Michael Straczynski, who wrote so many great, memorable and creepy episodes from Real Ghostbusters…Sam Hain, Sandman, Knock Knock, Citizen Ghost, and Ghosts R Us episodes to name a few.

I loved Gil Kenan's Monster House and Jason Reitman's Up In The Air and both are good at what they do. I know they will make sure they have a great product and great crew on SNL
1975 just like they have had for Afterlife and for Frozen Empire…but…the way this story unfolded for FE was not good. I don't know at what point it was that Sony may have said to keep the film under 2 hours…this certainly didn't need to be a 2 1/2 hour movie, but it also shouldn't have taken so long to get everything set up. The previews and teasers made me think that Garakka would show up halfway through the movie and there would be at least 2 battles at the firehouse and neither of those things happened. Again, I think they did quite a few good things in this film, but the organization of the story left something to be desired.

At the end of the day, I think Sony will squeeze out one more movie to try and make a profit from this franchise and I'm holding my breath that it doesn't leave a bad taste in the true GB fans mouth and end this on a sour note.
Ag Since 83
AG
Saw this today and enjoyed it. Really liked that the OG cast was involved throughout, and something about being back in New York made it feel like a proper Ghosbusters movie.
State of Texas
I know this isn't going to happen but...

In a perfect world...

The next film would take place a few months (or could even be a few years) after the events of Frozen Empire around Halloween. Since all the ghosts were released at the end, they are having a hard time keeping up with the demand, so a rival ghostbusting group forms causing them headaches all the while Sam Hain is on the horizon. Ray and Winston stay on as advisors.

I'd watch that. Anything else may be tough to watch.

The animated series is still being worked on per Gil Kenan last week for Netflix and who knows...by the time home sales and streaming for Frozen Empire are done it won't be as big as a flop as originally planned. Still, I think some time needs to pass before we have another live action movie....one where all the kids are fully grown now.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.