*** TWISTERS ***

44,054 Views | 397 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
#1 said:

Just got out of a full packed XD screening. Took the in-laws. It was so much fun. Hadnt had this much fun since Top Gun Maverick. Way better than I expected. There were some teary eyes in the room and the final act was amazing. This movie is not something you wait for on streaming. This was meant to be seen on the big screen. Can't recommend enough.
I remember hearing that about the original when it came out and it's definitely the case here.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
veryfuller said:

The effects and action are great.

The story is meh. The characters are too dour (save for Glen Powell and a surprising MVP Maura Tierney). And…I know I'm going to sound nit picky about a disaster movie…but it asks you to suspend belief way too much.

Look, I was primed to love this. The original is near and dear to my heart. That movie moves at a break-neck pace and is so much fun the whole time. Twisters feels like it slams on the breaks every time you think it's about to take off and then has an ending so unbelievable that I was rolling my eyes.

BUT it looks great.
Just finished watching it a little while ago. Totally agree with you. I won't say I was "excited" about this movie but I was looking forward to seeing it. What a disappointment! I wasn't invested in any of the characters, what a sorry excuse for a supporting cast (IMHO). I likely won't watch it again but I'll likely watch Twister another half dozen times or so in my lifetime. For an action movie, I was pretty bored and disinterested.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
Apache
AG
Quote:

I wasn't invested in any of the characters, what a sorry excuse for a supporting cast (IMHO).
I think it's a bit unfair to blame the supporting cast for anything.
They didn't have enough lines to show any chops whatsoever. Philip Seymour Hoffman couldn't have breathed life into any of the supporting cast.... there were no opportunities. An additional 5 minutes of dialogue & one liners for the storm chase crew would have added some depth. Have them give some background on Glen Powell's character instead of him revealing it all.

The "Big Bad" developer guy in the background & the English journalist were opportunities lost as well for a little more depth to the movie. I was reminded of the journalist "English Bob" in the Clint Eastwood movie "Unforgiven". I would have loved for one of the supporting characters to call him that.

I thought the movie was good, not great. It was about as ridiculous as the original with regard to tornadoes. (Recall Hunt & Paxton tying themselves with hoses to a well head... oof)

veryfuller
Staff
AG
Yeah I agree. I think the Javi character and subplot were kind of boring and sucked up WAY too much screen time. The film essentially grinds to a halt anytime anything with that subplot comes up. I think this would be a vastly better movie if you cut all that out and gave some more time to Tyler's team dynamics, IMHO.
Icecream_Ag
S
Apache said:

Quote:

I wasn't invested in any of the characters, what a sorry excuse for a supporting cast (IMHO).
I think it's a bit unfair to blame the supporting cast for anything.
They didn't have enough lines to show any chops whatsoever. Philip Seymour Hoffman couldn't have breathed life into any of the supporting cast.... there were no opportunities. An additional 5 minutes of dialogue & one liners for the storm chase crew would have added some depth. Have them give some background on Glen Powell's character instead of him revealing it all.

The "Big Bad" developer guy in the background & the English journalist were opportunities lost as well for a little more depth to the movie. I was reminded of the journalist "English Bob" in the Clint Eastwood movie "Unforgiven". I would have loved for one of the supporting characters to call him that.

I thought the movie was good, not great. It was about as ridiculous as the original with regard to tornadoes. (Recall Hunt & Paxton tying themselves with hoses to a well head... oof)

I think the best friend/video guy was supposed to take PSH/Dusty's role, but the lead was already crazy so he didn't have that "why dusty is the way he is" dynamic to separate himself.

Overall it was a fun summer movie that I'll be rewatching along with the original. Just wish we would have had a thunderstorm while I was watching. Oh well.
Ag Since 83
AG
Saw it this morning and really enjoyed it. I thought the idea of surrounding a moving tornado with censors was silly, but the final act and the characters really worked. I also really think Spielberg's note on the ending made a lot of sense.
LB12Diamond
AG
Just watched in IMAX. Great fun summer flic. Came out in a rain storm a loud thunder that sounded like a tornado. Actually made me look around.

Started checking out others thoughts and stopped bc there's way to much over thinking this one taking place. All of you need to Enjoy all the fun aspects of this movie. Heck, Tyler's truck alone was a great aspect of the movie. The chemistry of the two main stars was great.
TyHolden
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Just watched in IMAX. Great fun summer flic. Came out in a rain storm a loud thunder that sounded like a tornado. Actually made me look around.

Started checking out others thoughts and stopped bc there's way to much over thinking this one taking place. All of you need to Enjoy all the fun aspects of this movie. Heck, Tyler's truck alone was a great aspect of the movie. The chemistry of the two main stars was great.
I thought that was the only stretch of the movie. A Dodge couldn't do that.
T dizl televizl
AG
This made me lol. Just because when he was hauling ass through the fields bouncing up and down all I could think was no way he doesn't break an axle.

I really enjoyed the movie. Yeah it was a little dumb but thought it was a great summer flick with a good soundtrack and good acting. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking to go kill a few hours and enjoy yourself.
Cliff.Booth
nai06
AG
I haven't read any of this thread and don't intend to spoil the movie for myself but I am so excited. I have tickets for this Thursday for something called 4D. It looks bat **** insane and I cannot wait. I will obviously update everyone with how that goes.
LB12Diamond
AG
TyHolden said:

LB12Diamond said:

Like I side, you are over thinking this one.

If you are going to do this one you should have at least pointed out it was mighty convenient that his truck was equipped with rocket launchers. The one additional thing needed to help Kate kill a tornado.
PatAg
AG
LB12Diamond said:

TyHolden said:

LB12Diamond said:

Like I side, you are over thinking this one.

If you are going to do this one you should have at least pointed out it was mighty convenient that his truck was equipped with rocket launchers. The one additional thing needed to help Kate kill a tornado.
They definitely based his truck off of this Storm Chasers car. I actually found his channel when those tornados happened earlier this year.
It has the drill into the ground thing, he shoots rockets into tornados, all of it.

Canyon Lake Agbu94
So many rodeos, games and market days going on during a tornado outbreak in rural Oklahoma.
TCTTS
AG
FTAG 2000
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Saw it this morning and really enjoyed it. I thought the idea of surrounding a moving tornado with censors was silly, but the final act and the characters really worked. I also really think Spielberg's note on the ending made a lot of sense.

The NWS did a big study about fifteen years ago where they put Doppler radars on trucks and surrounded tornados.

It was called Vortex2 and you can read about it here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=VORTEX_projects&diffonly=true#VORTEX2

Yeah science! /jessepinkman
Bruce Almighty
AG
Twister is one of my top 5 guilty pleasure movies of all time, something the 90s did so well. Everything about that movie is great. Twisters was very good, but not quite at the level of the original. The music wasn't as good (Twister has one of the most underrated soundtracks of all time) and the supporting cast was just ok.Saying that, it was the most fun I've had in a theater in the last 2 or 3 years.
Ag Since 83
AG
That all sounds fascinating, and I may be incorrect, but reading that it sounds like it's at least somewhat mobile, rather than planting 3 sensors in fixed positions and hoping.
BassCowboy33
Man, that was a lot of fun. Not sure if it was quite as good as the original, but it's exactly what I'm looking for in a summer blockbuster.
StinkyPinky
AG
Mark me down for crap on this one.
maroon man
S
We saw this evening. Was good! A lot of fun. Not as good as the original but still did its job by entertaining.

Funny tho; i felt the twisters in the original film in 1996 looked better AND scarier.

maxag42
Loved it. It's not a masterpiece but it's a lot of fun. It's the type of movie where you just turn off your brain and just enjoy the ride.
MooreTrucker
AG
We loved it too. It was a lot of fun.

As for the comparison to the original, the best way to describe it is good but not as good. The leads, the supporting cast, the action, etc. good but not as good.
BassCowboy33
I thought Powell was up to par and carried the film. Daisy Edgar-Jones and the supporting cast were fairly meh. But I think as a whole, the movie worked well.
BCG Disciple
AG
Saw it today with kids. Great popcorn entertainment with a good message.

Also, soundtrack has a lot of big name country songs on it. Bro country and not exactly my cup of tea, but there are some actual good songs in there. The Lainey Wilson song, Benson Boone, etc.
TresPuertas
AG
Great summer flick. Tons of fun. Doesn't ask much from the audience except sit back and have a good time. That's what summer movies should be.

Fun note on this one. My dad is 79 and loves going to the movies. He came with my family and brothers family and all our kids and when the final tornado scene panned over the town we all kind of looked at him and smiled and he had a big grin on his face. He was born and raised in El Reno OK. It was cool to see the smile on his face when he saw that.
TCTTS
AG
So awesome. Love hearing stuff like that.
TyHolden
AG
Twisters is still selling out....wow
BassCowboy33
TyHolden said:

Twisters is still selling out....wow

You could say it's taking theaters…by storm.
PatAg
AG
I did not realize that the blonde character with glasses in the intro scene was played by Sally Draper
theeyetest
Probably one of the better movies I've seen at the theatre in 2-4 years. Went for my birthday with the whole family.

My 5 year old daughter absolutely loved it and is obsessed with tornadoes now. 10 year old daughter is terrified now
batchuser
Thought it was hot garbage. Nothing exciting or fresh. Characters check all boxes. Knew there was no way in hell they were going to make the Puerto Rican a villain. It's just a laughable mess.
spadilly
S
Really enjoyed it.
Missed it in 4DX, so we bought tickets to see it late this month when it's back for a week.
BassCowboy33
batchuser said:

Thought it was hot garbage. Nothing exciting or fresh. Characters check all boxes. Knew there was no way in hell they were going to make the Puerto Rican a villain. It's just a laughable mess.

Gary Condit, is that you?
BassCowboy33
spadilly said:

Really enjoyed it.
Missed it in 4DX, so we bought tickets to see it late this month when it's back for a week.

Definitely want to try this. I hear it's amazing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.