Rewatching: Breaking Bad

5,400 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Trajan88
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two things that still bother me.

1. Why did that crazy ***** Marie steal the spoon from the open house?
2. Is Huell still waiting in that safe house?
Trajan88
AG
Why did Saul elect to be "disappeared" via the guy that also "disappeared" Walt?

To escape the DEA/police or the gang of white suprematists ?
aTmAg
AG
He was damn guilty of money laundering and probably a gazillion other crimes.
rhutton125
AG
2nd time through, are you realizing how bad Walt sucks?

I mean… gdamn.
Duckhook
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Two things that still bother me.

1. Why did that crazy ***** Marie steal the spoon from the open house?

She was a kleptomaniac. Stole other things too.
Know Your Enemy
AG
But why did it matter, though? This show rarely did anything just because.
Wolfpac 08
AG
It's been a few years since I watched, but I think it was something to add to Hank's mental breakdown…but I may be off on that
Wolfpac 08
AG
Also, wasn't confident in my response and found this from Reddit:

Quote:

it allows Hank to be introduced into the Gale case (hank's buddy asks him for a favor after marie is "arrested for stealing the spoon)
Ag_07
AG
I just always thought it was Marie's way of breaking bad.
TexAg2001
AG
rhutton125 said:

I mean… gdamn.
I've watched it all the way through several times. The first time I was rooting for Walt from the beginning. The 2nd time, I found myself rooting against him. Having a different perspective made me see things I didn't notice the first time through. That's one of the great things about this show.
Canyon Lake Agbu94
rhutton125 said:

I mean… gdamn.
Whatever you think of Walt, you have to realize that Skyler was the driving force behind his decline the entire time.
Don't waste your days on dreams that don't fill you. Find out what you love and let it kill you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Skyler is a horrible wife.
TXAG 05
AG
Always rooted for for Walt. He could have had it all but Jesse was such a crybaby and screwed everything up.
Complete Idiot
Everyone is a victim of Walt.

Great character since the cancer, lack of professional success relative to ability, and other aspects definitely make you sympathize with him and root for him. But he became Bad, beyond bad - evil, narcissistic, greedy - and everyone suffered as a result.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's inarguable, however this doesn't change the fact that Skyler was also a horrible person to begin with.
aTmAg
AG
The first time I watched, I hated Skyler. After subsequent watches, I see her point.

What would you guys have her do differently? If you had a spouse throwing the family away by dealing drugs, what would you do?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well for one, she treated Walt like garbage even before he started cooking, which contributed to his decision.

Not to mention the fact that she could've gone to the police or Hank at any time and put an end to it. She was just as complicit as him for most of the show.

But worst of all, she ****ed Ted.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well for one, she treated Walt like garbage even before he started cooking, which contributed to his decision.
When did she treat Walt like garbage prior? He started cooking in episode 1. She threw him a surprise birthday party, gave him a handy, etc. I cannot remember a single bad thing she did in the first half of the episode.

Quote:

Not to mention the fact that she could've gone to the police or Hank at any time and put an end to it. She was just as complicit as him for most of the show.
In hindsight, she did screw up by not turning him in right away. I assume the Skyler in the finale would agree to that.

But at the time, they were already separated by the time he told her (in his own apartment). As far as she was concerned, she and the kids were safe and she wasn't complicit (yet). And "ratting" out Walt, might put her and the kids in MORE danger. She had no idea if the cartel or whoever (she didn't know who), might go after her to kill her as a witness.

Then Walt moved his ass right back in without her permission. I think the moment she didn't tell those police right away was the first moment she became complicit. But did she REALLY? She could tell the police right then and there, "he's a meth cook!", but she would have no proof. And she would come off as a deranged scorned wife who was trying any excuse to get her husband kicked out. The police would leave, and THEN all the witness danger concerns would kick in. So I can totally understand the decision to not rat him out.

Frankly, I think the way the writers slowly eased her in to complicity was genius. I think many people would react in the same way if we were faced with the same situation.

Quote:

But worst of all, she ****ed Ted.
That was when she was trying to get his ass to leave the house after he refused. Because she assumed (pretty correctly), that the rest of the family was in danger if he was there.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Wolfpac 08 said:

Also, wasn't confident in my response and found this from Reddit:

Quote:

it allows Hank to be introduced into the Gale case (hank's buddy asks him for a favor after marie is "arrested for stealing the spoon)

That's an excellent point that never crossed my mind.
double aught
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Wildmen06 said:

AMC being a cable channel can actually show as much nudity and have as much language as they want.

Any censoring is self regulated,

Then why was it never shown uncensored on AMC? The boobs were not shown and all F bombs were edited out as well.
To appease advertisers.
LMCane
theeyetest said:

Just, wow. What an incredible show. No matter how many times I watch it all the way through it just keeps getting better and better.

The acting, the writing, the cinematography, everything is just impeccable!
Where are you watching this?

I may be the only person left who has never seen the series.

the concept of rooting for a drug dealer has always been unappealing.
HtownAg92
AG
LMCane said:

theeyetest said:

Just, wow. What an incredible show. No matter how many times I watch it all the way through it just keeps getting better and better.

It's definitely choosing the less horrible of two horrible sides. You root for Walt because of his circumstances and original intent to take care of family, along with his lovable goof-ball f up of a sidekick, because the alternative is the cartel. You will understand once you get into it and see how the cartel is portrayed.

But as many have said, in the end, it is okay to hate them all.
uujm
Texmid said:

I love Breaking Bad and have watched it all the way through 3 times. One thing I never understood was why there were boobs in the first episode, but never again.
I always assumed they shot the pilot on spec with the intention of HBO, Showtime, etc. picking it up but according to wiki that wasn't the case.
walton91
I am rewatching for the first time and I'm halfway through S2. During the Gray Matter episode, Walt is described as being the brilliance behind the company, and when he tells some Gray Matter employees that he went into education, he is asked "which university?" Walt is fidgety and the scene ends before his response. Was it ever explained why Walt ended up teaching high school instead of a more prestigious career like a research scientist or teaching at a university?
aTmAg
AG
LMCane said:

theeyetest said:

If it makes you feel better, the big lesson out of the show is:

A) don't do drugs
B) don't sell drugs
Mike Hancho
If I recall, he needed money (stable job) walt didnt have the necessary credentials to be a professor; but the real reason I think was pride and ego
Trajan88
AG
There was the scene where Walt and Skyler cruised in a Porsche 911 convertible.

He must have had money in the past.

Did they sell the Porsche to get something more practical ... Skyler was pregnant w/ Walt Jr. in that scene if memory serves.

There was a scene in a later season where Walt told jr. he had a Porsche, but no mention of why they got rid of it
walton91
This show is perfect
rhutton125
AG
I kinda like Skyler. She's right for being skeptical of Walt after some of his weak BS (the fugue state, for example).

If you're pulling for Walt, she's a frustrating stick in the mud. But when Walt is crying hysterically in their crawl space and can't even muster a response to Skyler, and then one day later he's telling her how he's the kingpin and everything is fine - she's right to call him out on his BS!

Great show.
Trajan88
AG
Re: "Where are you watching this?"

I am sure I am one of the relatively few people in the universe that still watches shows/movies on dvd.

I check dvds out from the library.

Next up will either be The Wire or Game of Thrones. Edit to add: Better Call Saul.

Early adopter of tech like streaming... I am not. ;-)
LMCane
Trajan88 said:

Re: "Where are you watching this?"

I am sure I am one of the relatively few people in the universe that still watches shows/movies on dvd.

I check dvds out from the library.

Next up will either be The Wire or Game of Thrones. Edit to add: Better Call Saul.

Early adopter of tech like streaming... I am not. ;-)
wow, what's a "DVD"?

joking, but I haven't had a DVD player in like 8 years.
Burdizzo
AG
Trajan88 said:

Just finished watching BB for the first time.

Haven't watched a series through to the end since the Sopranos ended years ago.

BB... is most impressive.

My favorite scene of the whole series... WW: "What's my name!?"

My favorite line of the series was in Ozymandias

Hank Schrader: [to Walter, as Jack has a gun pointed at him] You're the smartest guy I ever met... but you're too stupid to see... He made up his mind ten minutes ago.

At that point in the series I was actually rooting for Hank because I thought that was the only way to save Walter.

Trajan88
AG
Re: DVD player.

I am not an early adopter.
Trajan88
AG
Been thinking about this... the militia/racist guys confiscated the $80,000,000 in those barrels.

Wouldn't there be some back-stabbing, jockeying by some to kill off other(s) to get that money, cut others out?

Maybe the writers just wanted to get to the end of the series and that arc would have taken too many episodes to close off?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.