i saw American Fiction at a film festival last night

5,394 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by Quinn
WP69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Outrageously funny satire. Excellent writing and casting. Just a superb movie.
Theatrical release 12/23 according to IMDB.

TCTTS
AG
I keep hearing how good this is, great to get further confirmation. Looking forward to it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I can't wait. I'm expecting this thread to get wild.

Edit: fixing OP's link for the embed.

bonfarr
AG
Just watched the trailer and it looks fantastic. I love the lead actor and this is the type of movie I wait for.

Looking forward to the release.
ElephantRider
AG
bonfarr said:

Just watched the trailer and it looks fantastic. I love the lead actor and this is the type of movie I wait for.

Looking forward to the release.

Jeffrey Wright is always great
aggiephoenix02
It's a Tootsie remakeā€¦
AggieOO
Definitely Not A Cop said:

I can't wait. I'm expecting this thread to get wild.

Might as well get in on page 1.

Also, this looks amazing.
Rudyjax
AG
I watched the trailer. Now I don't have to see the movie.
Casual Cynic
Black man exploiting the sensibilities of guilty white people, sounds like a funny idea.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Casual Cynic said:

Black man exploiting the sensibilities of guilty white people, sounds like a funny idea.

Obligatory user name checks out.
Sea Speed
AG
Oh yea. There is no way staff gets to stay out of this one.

This movie looks absolutely hilarious.
StinkyPinky
AG
I'm going to avoid the trailer and just go in cold. I've heard enough.

Page 1
CC09LawAg
Man, I can't remember the last time I saw a trailer for a comedy that actually looked funny. This looks legit.
Rudyjax
AG
StinkyPinky said:

I'm going to avoid the trailer and just go in cold. I've heard enough.

Page 1
Yeah, it was a very encompassing trailer. That's why I typically try to go into movies I'm interested in cold.

Unless i know the source material and want to see it on the big screen and I devour everything.
GoAgs92
AG
Looks good, plot has been done a million times but so what.
c-jags
GoAgs92 said:

i'm just hoping people don't turn into horses this time.
Carlo4
AG
Quote:

The dumber I behave, the richer I get

NoahAg
Seems pretty fun to me. Obviously looks like it's poking fun at the white, liberal pandering of what black people are supposed to be. I.e., the Biden "You ain't black unless you vote for me..." type.
Know Your Enemy
AG
c-jags said:

GoAgs92 said:

I got that reference. Not sure if anyone else will.
fig96
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

c-jags said:

GoAgs92 said:

Yes

And caught this trailer a few days ago and I'm totally intrigued. Love Jeffrey Wright and I'm really curious where they take this.
GoAgs92
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

c-jags said:

GoAgs92 said:

Had totally forgotten how that movie ended...ha...so weird.
Whos Juan
AG
Can't we just blame all the mexicans?
TCTTS
AG
I saw this last night at a preview screening and I have to say... I don't get the Oscar talk at all.

It's not a bad movie by any means - parts of it are genuinely good - but as a whole, something about it almost feels like a fake movie, and I can't put my finger on exactly why. Maybe it's the bland cinematography/score, the sleepiness of it throughout, or that I was expecting something super witty and hilarious, based on all the rave reviews. Yet the commentary never really amounted to anything more than surface-level insight, and the best jokes are all in the trailer.

Again... it's fine. And I absolutely get enjoying it, to the point where I'd even recommend renting it. But a Best Picture lock? Really? For something you can absolutely tell was made by a first-time filmmaker? With that ending? And no discernible arc for the main character, at least that I could tell? I don't know, maybe it all went over my head, or I was just tired, but I don't think either of those were factors.

Anyway, it hits theaters this weekend and I'm curious to hear from anyone else who does happen to end up seeing it, as to whether I'm going to be an outlier or not.
TCTTS
AG
Finally, a critic who agrees with me and recognizes this movie for what it is (a good setup with a mostly empty shell)...

FancyKetchup14
AG
TC kinda summed up my thoughts. It's a solid movie and certainly worth the price of admission. There are some legit laugh-out-loud moments and it can be heartfelt, but I don't get the BP nomination hype train at all.
citizenkane06
AG
Just saw this, and I think it's the BP. I thought there were plenty of intelligent jokes not in the trailer as well as a subplot that supported the premise. It's interesting to see subpar reviews on this thread, but I'd suggest seeing it and deciding for yourself!
Ziggy Sobotka
AG
It checks the boxes for the Oscars.
showtime
AG
https://defector.com/american-fiction-and-the-wet-eyes-of-the-sentimentalist
Jim01
AG
Just watched it and agree. It has a lot of potential but ultimately fell pretty flat. I am fine with it being a Best Picture nominee but it's maybe last on my list.

The central premise isn't really the central premise in a lot of ways. It's a movie divided between a man and his family and also this racial commentary of sorts, but they don't really tie in an effective way.

The part that left me really thinking/confused was Issa Rae's line (paraphrasing) "Potential is what people see when they think what is in front of them isn't good enough". It came off like it was in some way supposed to be this powerful message to put Monk in his place, but all I could think was "what's wrong with that?" Monk thought what was in front of him wasn't good enough, and he was largely right.

The ending also seemed muddled. Like ultimately he just caves and becomes part of the problem he initially set out against?

TCTTS, you bring up the score and that was also a really confusing thing to me. Like, was it a very generic jazz score because it's making a commentary on how all movies with black people either have rap or jazz as it's musical touchstone... or was it just a flat out bad score?
TexAgs91
AG
I saw this and it was thought it was mostly good. I'm surprised they were able to make a film like this in today's authoritarian woke climate. I guess they were only allowed to do it if they made the main character's brother gay? which had nothing to do with the story.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Macarthur
Finally watched this. Wife and I liked it. Agree with some of the comments here that it's def not best picture worthy, but it was good and had some real funny moments.
Quinn
AG
TCTTS said:

I saw this last night at a preview screening and I have to say... I don't get the Oscar talk at all.

It's not a bad movie by any means - parts of it are genuinely good - but as a whole, something about it almost feels like a fake movie, and I can't put my finger on exactly why. Maybe it's the bland cinematography/score, the sleepiness of it throughout, or that I was expecting something super witty and hilarious, based on all the rave reviews. Yet the commentary never really amounted to anything more than surface-level insight, and the best jokes are all in the trailer.

Again... it's fine. And I absolutely get enjoying it, to the point where I'd even recommend renting it. But a Best Picture lock? Really? For something you can absolutely tell was made by a first-time filmmaker? With that ending? And no discernible arc for the main character, at least that I could tell? I don't know, maybe it all went over my head, or I was just tired, but I don't think either of those were factors.

Anyway, it hits theaters this weekend and I'm curious to hear from anyone else who does happen to end up seeing it, as to whether I'm going to be an outlier or not.
Watched it this weekend and pretty much agree with this. The performances were really good, but it told two incomplete stories. The family/relationship drama was really the main story, I thought, but it was dropped at the end; the publishing angle was interesting, but had a really odd ending, like others have noted. I expected Issa Rae's character to be much more involved. There's really just that one conversation between her and Wright and I would have liked to have seen more of them interacting.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.