Is Chronic 2001 the greatest rap album of all time?

3,274 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by AustinAg2K
Andrew Dufresne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been jamming it a bit today for the first time in a LONG time and Holy **** this thing holds up so well. Banger after Banger. Still Dre is probably my favorite song on the album, but it's hard to pick honestly.

IMO it is not only the best rap album of all time, but there isn't even a close second.

C@LAg
i would put both It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back and Enter the Wu-Tang above it, personally.
Ronnie
AG
Sequels never better than the original
TXAG 05
AG
Either the original Chronic or 2001, depending on what I'm feeling at the time.
ac04
its somewhere in the top 10 but hard to rank it above the original. or doggystyle, aquemini, illmatic, ridin dirty, ready to die, college dropout etc.
AggieOO
still blows my mind that this is the guy who wrote that hook on The Next Episode

and if you need reference to who David McCallum is:

Furlock Bones
AG
La-da-da-da-dah
it's the mother****in' D-O-double-G
FancyKetchup14
AG
It's certainly worthy of mention. But, personally, it's not better than:

Ready to Die
Illmatic
Enter The Wu Tang

(Yes I prefer east coast to west coast)
Sponge
AG
Unknown group Ground Up Sounds is superior to all the popular rap.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is one of my personal favorites.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
AggieOO said:

still blows my mind that this is the guy who wrote that hook on The Next Episode

and if you need reference to who David McCallum is:

Stupid link won't work.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gimme dat Chronic - what? - cles of Narnia.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
This is the correct answer

"She Watch Channel Zero" still melts my brain after 35 years.
Enzo The Baker
AG
It's illmatic for me. The album is perfection. From the cover, to the lyrics, to the delivery, it really sets the mood for a story that you just don't get with other rap albums. And not to mention, the all star producers that were involved are outstanding.

Definitely going back and listening to Chronic 2001 now though, so thanks for the thread.
Bruce Almighty
AG

Thunder18
AG
One of the best
RightWingConspirator
AG
"But it is easier to purchase products that denote superiority than to be actually superior in economic achievement." - Thomas J. Stanley
90 bull
AG
This is my #1
superunknown
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

Got this and Fear of a Black Planet when I was able to talk my parents into letting me do the Columbia House record club or whatever. Brain melting for sure!
bigcat22
AG
One album that often gets overlooked in these discussions but was ground breaking at the time, and sort of a prequel to the Chronic, is No One Can Do It Better by D.O.C.

DOC is probably the biggest "what if" in hip hop history, shame he never gets the credit he deserves.

ConroeAg
bigcat22 said:

One album that often gets overlooked in these discussions but was ground breaking at the time, and sort of a prequel to the Chronic, is No One Can Do It Better by D.O.C.

DOC is probably the biggest "what if" in hip hop history, shame he never gets the credit he deserves.

I wore out that cassette on my Walkman in 9th grade while riding the "yellow dog" on my freshman football and basketball road trips.

It was a pleasant surprise to see The DOC represented in the "Straight Outta Compton" movie.
Dimebag Darrell
bigcat22 said:

Bonus that the dude hails from the great state of Texas. He would have been a great addition to early 90's Houston acts like SPC, Street Military etc. but also great voice and delivery for West Coast.
bigcat22
AG
Having trouble embedding videos, but apparently DOC has a documentary coming out about his life, Dallas rap scene, founding Death Row with Dre and Suge… should be interesting.

CoolaidWade
AG
I'm not sure what the greatest rap album of all time is but I'm pretty sure It's by The Beastie Boys.
texag06ish
AG
I have never heard this album but I will listen tomorrow.
texag06ish
AG
2001 is an amazing album but for some reason it never comes to mind when I'm naming my top albums. Probably because I rarely get passed my top 5. Ready to Die, The Chronic, Doggystyle, Ridin Dirty and Aquemini.

No one can resist singing along with Nate Dogg on Xxplosive.
johnnyblaze36
AG
1a The Chronic 1b Enter the 36 Chambers

2001 is great though but nowhere near the greatest rap album of all time.
johnnyblaze36
AG
bigcat22 said:

Having trouble embedding videos, but apparently DOC has a documentary coming out about his life, Dallas rap scene, founding Death Row with Dre and Suge… should be interesting.

Can't wait for this.
johnnyblaze36
AG
superunknown said:

$240 Worth of Pudding said:

Got this and Fear of a Black Planet when I was able to talk my parents into letting me do the Columbia House record club or whatever. Brain melting for sure!
My mother conifscated this cassette tape along with multiple other classic hip-hop/rap CDs when I was in the eighth grade. I thought I was sneaky blacking out the Parental Advisory label with a sharpie. That was a very sad day when I got grounded and all my great music was in the trash can.
texag06ish
AG
Update: I decided to give it a listen tonight. This MF jams. Only 1 skip for me (track 6).
bigcat22
AG
Fun fact, the last song on the album, fitting titled "The Grand Finale", is the last song ever recorded by NWA, Ice Cube left the group shortly after this record came out
BowSowy
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is one of my personal favorites.
This is my pick
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Some more personal favorites; Man On The Moon by Kid Cudi

Tha Carter III by Lil Wayne

Paper Trail by TI

JD Shellnut
AG
My personal favorites are:

Gets Boys - Till Death Do Us Part

Color Changin Click - Get Ya Mind Correct

jh0400
AG
Paper Trail
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.