NEW blink album

6,731 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Aggie Therapist
WGann3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome choices... This is right up my old self's pop punk alley. Green Day for real makes some of the least sense of any of these bands to me. Are they going to play Dookie in its entirety? That album is an all-timer... but man, almost everything after that was garbage to me and a completely different band.
CoolaidWade
AG
WGann3 said:

Awesome choices... This is right up my old self's pop punk alley. Green Day for real makes some of the least sense of any of these bands to me. Are they going to play Dookie in its entirety? That album is an all-timer... but man, almost everything after that was garbage to me and a completely different band.

I agree but American Idiot is their best album. Not my favorite but their best IMO.

Don't hate warning and imnsomiac either but they have put out a ton of trash after "American idiot".

I'm hoping they have a "comeback" album like it looks like Blink has.
WGann3
AG
I dig the song American Idiot but not the majority of the album. Insomniac, Nimrod, and Warning all have a handful of decent songs too, but Dookie has banger after banger the entire way through.

Have fun my friend, let us know how it goes!
Lathspell
AG
WGann3 said:

This is such a tired opinion to hear repeated by some people.

They've had many great albums since dookie. American Idiot is a fantastic album, and all the others also have great songs. The only album I just can't listen to is their last one.

Also, Green Day puts on such a better show than any of those other bands. If there's one reason them being on the bill makes the least sense, it's that they are so far and away a better live band than these others, it's not even close.
WGann3
AG
Notice where I said garbage TO ME? If you dig their other stuff it's totally fine. A ton of people do. I'm not one of those "they sold out" guys, heck I'm a huge Metallica fan and I love Load and Reload. I just loved Dookie and the rest of Green Day's albums were way different and not in a good way for me.

EDIT to say I chose my words poorly after rereading this, those albums aren't garbage after Dookie. Should have said they just didn't do it for me and went in a direction I didn't like.
WGann3
AG
And I'll add that I don't disagree with you they're probably way better live than most or all of these bands on the bill. Just feel like their music post-Dookie doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the rest of the lineup. Just caught me off guard scrolling from bottom to top and got to Green Day as the headliner.
BadMoonRisin
AG
CoolaidWade said:

WGann3 said:

I agree but American Idiot is their best album. Not my favorite but their best IMO.

Don't hate warning and imnsomiac either but they have put out a ton of trash after "American idiot".

I'm hoping they have a "comeback" album like it looks like Blink has.

Bro, dookie?
Lathspell
AG
The album's okay. There's something about the production that I don't care for. Maybe it's the drum sound? I can't really put my finger on it.

The great thing is that, after the album, Spotify just started bringing the pop punk Playlist through and I realized how long it's been since I heard so many of these songs. Great to listen to while playing diablo.

ETA: I'm referring to the new blink
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
American Idiot is my favorite Green Day album as well. That album was huge, it had like 5 songs on it that were mega hits. It also came out when I was 13, dookie was out really before I started getting into pop punk.
PatAg
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

American Idiot is my favorite Green Day album as well. That album was huge, it had like 5 songs on it that were mega hits. It also came out when I was 13, dookie was out really before I started getting into pop punk.
This is how most people decide which Green Day album they like more. Which one were you a teenage for.
Same for SNL
Lathspell
AG
True.

However, I don't know another band from that genre who had 2 albums as massive as Dookie and American Idiot, separated by 10 years. Really created a gap for two generations of fans.
Sapper Redux
Definitely Not A Cop said:

It came out while I was in Iraq and it helped me keep sane through everything. Don't care what anyone says about Green Day, that album is incredible.
CoolaidWade
AG
Hey team I just woke up after When We Were Young. and feel like I've done the murph workout twice.

Just a quick recap there was no bad band at all.

Zebrahead absolutely brought it for playing at the 12:00 slot. They told everyone to start crowd surfing and my wife jumped up and the crowd ended up dropping her over the VIP section barricade. Once she knew she was in VIP she did a duck and run and I didn't see her the rest of the set.

Tony Hawk sang "Superman" at Goldfingers set.

The Offspring has the absolute funniest between song banter outside Blink. Think two highly intelligent humans going back and forth saying how they think the crowd is smarter then usual and maybe mischievous. They brought it.

Sum41 absolutely brought it. Apparently Derrick (sp) doesn't play guitar anymore. I told my wife I wanted one more circle pit in my life and all day she was all over that and calling me out and I picked this one to jump in. Hence the possible black eye I have right now.

Blink and Green Day were incredible. Just no words. For whatever reason the sound on Blink was cranked up and they sounded fantastic.

Green Day played a bunch of American Idiot including both of the 9 minute ones. They played "She" my favorite and I lost it even though they always play that one. They played all the ballads which I don't think I was a fan of. When Billie Joe grabbed a kid to play on one of his songs the first one had stage fright and couldn't play. So he immediately grabbed another kid and tossed the first one to the side. The second one nailed it. They both went home with a guitar we learned later.

Avril Lavigne had a surprise appearance during All Tjme Low so that was cool. They played skater boi. All the women went nuts. Not a big fan of ATL but we were posting up for blink and Green Day.

Festival very well run. At least 100 food and drunk booths with absolutely great food. IPA was $17 or $18 and I drank them like water. We never waited for food or alcohol. Tons of hydration stations and tjey were passing out free water during sets. It was hot as ****

I'm going again next year. Book your room once you know the dates. $450/night for Excalibur is stupid. We lucked out and booked after we had tics so we only payed $700 for three nights

That's all I know right now. Once I sober up and my knees and hips stop hurting I'll maybe post a better recap

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Quote:

WGann3
AG
Haha thanks a ton for the report, sounds like a blast! And a blast from the past too! So funny about Tony Hawk, the 1+2 remake just came to Steam finally and I was playing that into the wee hours last night, might have literally heard Superman simultaneously with you. Zebrahead is on the game playlist too, I always thought they were super underrated, fun as hell.
Lathspell
AG
Awesome! Sounds like a blast.

To this day, I regret not going to the Pop Disaster Tour when I was 14. I've seen all thos bands separately, many times since, but it would have been amazing to see them all at that specific time.

Also, agree with you on She. Why do I love that song so much? Despite what all the tongue in cheek music snobs with a superiority complex say, that may literally be the only 3-chord song of green day's entire catalogue. But it's still freaking awesome and great to hear live.

As far as Blink goes, based on your review, I take it Tom was sounding decent, live?

Hilarious that Sum41 was the pit band for you. My first kiss was in the pit for a sum41 concert with a girl from Allen high school... fun memories.
jdgilberg
AG
Blink tour on sale for next year, pre-sale code is ONELASTTIME

Passed on the tour last summer after My Chemical Romance left a bad taste in my mouth but snagged some pit tickets at Dickies this time around, new album is WAY better than expected so pretty psyched
WGann3
AG
With Pierce the Veil too. I grabbed 8 for the show at Dickies Arena in Fort Worth in June. Saw Avenged Sevenfold there a couple weeks back and was blown away at how good that place sounds for a show. Grew up in Fort Worth and have lived in the Dallas area for the last decade plus but that was my first time there.
CoolaidWade
AG
jdgilberg said:

Blink tour on sale for next year, pre-sale code is ONELASTTIME

Passed on the tour last summer after My Chemical Romance left a bad taste in my mouth but snagged some pit tickets at Dickies this time around, new album is WAY better than expected so pretty psyched
My wife ended up getting four tickets even though we just saw them days ago. Two for us and two to sale at a highly inflated price when it sells out. I'm so proud of her. This time we're part of the problem and not at the other end not being able to afford tickets.

Although not being able to afford their last tour made us get Whenwewereyoung tics which may be have been our best decision ever.

AggieLitigator
CoolaidWade said:

Hey team I just woke up after When We Were Young. and feel like I've done the murph workout twice.

Just a quick recap there was no bad band at all.

Zebrahead absolutely brought it for playing at the 12:00 slot. They told everyone to start crowd surfing and my wife jumped up and the crowd ended up dropping her over the VIP section barricade. Once she knew she was in VIP she did a duck and run and I didn't see her the rest of the set.

The Offspring has the absolute funniest between song banter outside Blink. Think two highly intelligent humans going back and forth saying how they think the crowd is smarter then usual and maybe mischievous. They brought it.

Sum41 absolutely brought it. Apparently Derrick (sp) doesn't play guitar anymore. I told my wife I wanted one more circle pit in my life and all day she was all over that and calling me out and I picked this one to jump in. Hence the possible black eye I have right now.

Blink and Green Day were incredible. Just no words. For whatever reason the sound on Blink was cranked up and they sounded fantastic.

Green Day played a bunch of American Idiot including both of the 9 minute ones. They played "She" my favorite and I lost it even though they always play that one. They played all the ballads which I don't think I was a fan of. When Billie Joe grabbed a kid to play on one of his songs the first one had stage fright and couldn't play. So he immediately grabbed another kid and tossed the first one to the side. The second one nailed it. They both went home with a guitar we learned later.

Avril Lavigne had a surprise appearance during All Tjme Low so that was cool. They played skater boi. All the women went nuts. Not a big fan of ATL but we were posting up for blink and Green Day.

Festival very well run. At least 100 food and drunk booths with absolutely great food. IPA was $17 or $18 and I drank them like water. We never waited for food or alcohol. Tons of hydration stations and tjey were passing out free water during sets. It was hot as ****

I'm going again next year. Book your room once you know the dates. $450/night for Excalibur is stupid. We lucked out and booked after we had tics so we only payed $700 for three nights

That's all I know right now. Once I sober up and my knees and hips stop hurting I'll maybe post a better recap

Bought my wife and her friend VIP. They said 30 seconds to Mars was also awesome. Offspring and Blink were the two other faves. She said it was awesome but really hot.
Rule Number 32
AG
There is a guy who posted a lot of the sets on youtube. Yesterday I watched all of Blink, Sum41, and most of the offspring. Also watched snippets of a few others. I've always been a huge Sum41 fan and they definitely were awesome. Blink was a lot of fun to watch even though I was never huge into their music for some reason. Their show was wildly entertaining to watch.
Rule Number 32
AG
CoolaidWade said:

NukeAg10 said:

Jealous.

I can't even begin to convey how pumped I am. To the best of my ability this is my game plan for Saturday.

I would have been right beside you for about 90% of this lineup lol. MXPX is my all-time favorite band. Havent seen them in a few years, but they have been a ton to follow once they got Tom back in the fold. They put on live acoustic sets on facebook a lot on Friday nights where the guys are drinking and just having a good time and taking requests from the fans.

Was NFG any good? I never saw them live.
Brock Sampson
AG
I watched NFG when they toured with Yellowcard a few years ago. They were really fun to watch.
Aggie Therapist
AG
So there is a Part Two that just released for their newest album…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.