*** THE KILLER *** (Michael Fassbender, dir. David Fincher)

10,849 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by idAg09
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really good, thought it started to drag after Tilda Swinson bit it.

I thought the ending is what it was because everything in his internal dialogue was him moralizing and justifying his life. You can see him starting to be more empathetic the entire movie, but especially starting when he kills the one girl like she asked, where her kids would get life insurance. Then he meets Tilda, and hears the same justifications thrown back in his face. They never come right out and say it, but that seemed to me to be the turning point for him wanting to stop going the whole taken route. He was still committed to protect his family, but he was pretty much exhausted with it. The tech bro didn't pose a threat to him, so he gives it up for good starting there.
Claude!
TCTTS said:

Ha, same. I can't remember the last time I actively dreaded an Aggie football game.
Wait, we're not supposed to dread every week?
Dimebag Darrell
We finally beat a mediocre Mississippi team, extend Jimbo's contract!!!

Bout to start the movie and was coming here for chatter on that
Redstone
AG
The Texas A&M defense stymied Mississippi State and Jaylen Henderson performed in his Kyle Field debut, propelling the Aggies to a 51-10 victory in their battle against the Bulldogs.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I really only had one nit pick with the movie and that was when he found the taxi driver. I find it hard to believe a random Dominican cabbie speaks that good of English
AlaskanAg99
AG
Pretty decent revenge movie. Ending was a little flat and the thug and Villan could have had more development to enjoy their beat downs more. Sort of instantly forgettable and not worth a rewatch.
Max Power
AG
Got the chance to watch this film this weekend and I really enjoyed it. Here's my take on who he decided to kill and let live. I think with each individual he weighed both what their contribution to his gf's assault was, along with what the risk is to himself and her going forward. The attorney had to go, as long as he's alive he could never be safe. The secretary assisted him with what he needed for revenge and she personally was no threat to him going forward. The brute tried to kill his GF and knows where he lives. Leo the cab driver knew too much. The expert would not allow him to live and was directly involved with the attempted hit. The client was no threat going forward.

One thing about the movie I think was fascinating was the use of The Smiths as his sole choice of music. I can't figure out if that music choice means deep down he's empathetic and uses it to keep him balanced with his line of work so that he doesn't completely lose himself. The counter to that being maybe he senses that he needs that to balance himself out from his true-self that is his line of work. I think it's the former but I can see the other side.
Petrino1
FancyKetchup14 said:

I really only had one nit pick with the movie and that was when he found the taxi driver. I find it hard to believe a random Dominican cabbie speaks that good of English

Lol spot on.
Petrino1

Overall decent movie. Not sure it's worth the hype, I think it just missed the mark. But solid enough Netflix movie and worth a watch.
GoAgs92
AG
Petrino.

those are much more than potential spoilers.

Dimebag Darrell
I was entertained but also let down a bit. Was kind of hoping he wouldn't always be an evil sociopath, but oh well. Worth the watch.
Cliff.Booth
To do what he does professionally didn't he kind of have to be a sociopath?
TCTTS
AG
I would say, in the end, he's at least now less of an evil sociopath. His entire arc was realizing he doesn't have to do this sh*t anymore, choosing to live in peace with his girlfriend instead of killing people.
TCTTS
AG
MRB10
AG
I watched this yesterday and really enjoyed it. The comments about it being a slower version of borne, et al. helped get my expectations in a good place going in.
Redstone
AG
It may be middling Fincher, but multiple viewings are probably necessary to gather a fair critique.
Cliff.Booth
TCTTS said:

I would say, in the end, he's at least now less of an evil sociopath. His entire arc was realizing he doesn't have to do this sh*t anymore, choosing to live in peace with his girlfriend instead of killing people.

If you think he's gonna live in peace on that island and not end up ****ing up a whole lot of people, you're not imagining the same sequel that will never be made as I am.
G.I.Bro
Cliff.Booth said:

TCTTS said:

If you think he's gonna live in peace on that island and not end up ****ing up a whole lot of people, you're not imagining the same sequel that will never be made as I am.

I didn't view him as some evil sociopath who enjoyed killing for the sake of killing. I know you gotta have something off to do that, but I think it was just his nihilistic view of the world and opportunity. If his handler hadn't approached him in law school i think he would have been a cutthroat lawyer who grinded out a great career until he realized his motivation was gone, then just retired. I don't see him being lured back by one final job or anything. The only thing that could make him **** people up is if something happened to his gf again, but then we're practically remaking john wick. I just think he's a dude tired of his job and done with the grind
TCTTS
AG
Very well said. Agreed.
TCTTS
AG
schmendeler
AG
Just finished it. I enjoyed it. Love a smart movie.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Incredible waste of time. Hard to believe anyone actually liked this.
AG
Also watched it and enjoyed it. Wasn't a classic or anything but worth 2 hours of my time on a weeknight.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anagrammatic Nudist said:

Incredible waste of time. Hard to believe anyone actually liked this.
I was wondering if I was the only one. I made it about 30 minutes before I damn near fell asleep. Turned it off and went to bed. (And I generally love Fincher.)

I guess I'll try again at some point.
DTP02
AG
I feel like the Fincher and Fassbender combo has people looking for something that isn't there.

It's a good-looking movie that just isn't very entertaining or really all that good. It's pretty empty and takes itself too seriously.

It's not really bad, but is really just a jumped up Netflix film with all that implies.
Bunk Moreland
It was good until it wasn't.
TCTTS
AG
DTP02 said:

I feel like the Fincher and Fassbender combo has people looking for something that isn't there.

It's a good-looking movie that just isn't very entertaining or really all that good. It's pretty empty and takes itself too seriously.

It's not really bad, but is really just a jumped up Netflix film with all that implies.

The entire point is that he's kind of a doofus who takes himself too seriously. His voice over is pretty clearly that of a badass who is also full of sh*t. In other words, I don't see how the movie takes itself too seriously, when it's obviously in on the joke.
LMCane
Sex Panther said:

Was thinking about this movie today and need some insight...

Why did he let the final guy live? I don't really remember the dialogue, so hopefully, when it hits Netflix I can watch it again, but interested in hearing others takes
I enjoyed this movie but there seemed to be many plot holes

he did the above, and yet did the opposite with the Dominican taxi driver.

when one is a billionaire who was morally evil, and the other a poor innocent civilian caught in the middle. seems to be completely ridiculous.
LMCane
GoAgs92 said:

I think he let the guy go for a few reasons, 1. The guy clearly wasn't in the business of getting people killed so all of his contacts were likely dead 2. If he did kill him he'd be looking over his shoulder forever
understood, but he contracted to murder someone in paris so morally is much more deserving of a fate than some cabbie who had nothing to do with anything.

LMCane
DTP02 said:

anyone else get the thought that they were going to kill the dog, but because the audience loves dogs let him just go to sleep?
TCTTS
AG
LMCane said:

Sex Panther said:

Was thinking about this movie today and need some insight...

Why did he let the final guy live? I don't really remember the dialogue, so hopefully, when it hits Netflix I can watch it again, but interested in hearing others takes
I enjoyed this movie but there seemed to be many plot holes

he did the above, and yet did the opposite with the Dominican taxi driver.

when one is a billionaire who was morally evil, and the other a poor innocent civilian caught in the middle. seems to be completely ridiculous.

That's his character arc. He goes from someone who kills indiscriminately to someone who has finally had enough/is tired of it all. In the beginning he's "one of the few" and by the end he decides to be "one of the many" (who just wants a normal life). There's also the aforementioned complications of killing a billionaire, but either way, like nearly every lead character in nearly every movie, he experiences a change. It might not be the change you're looking for or agree with, but it's consistent with the themes Fincher is exploring.

Also, you should probably spoiler tag your post.
LMCane
this doesn't match with what happened in the movie immediately afterward

"The secretary assisted him with what he needed for revenge and she personally was no threat to him going forward."
LMCane
No idea how to do that
TCTTS
AG
It's been the stickied post at the top of the front page for seven years now…

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2767263
AgHawkeye
AG
I actually enjoyed it overall but was just never invested. There were no likable characters (other than the taxi driver) and although I was interested in where the story was going was never pulling for Fassbenders character. Was I supposed to feel bad for him that his girlfriend got attacked after he is going around killing for money? I just found it to be an interesting story with no real emotional involvement. Probably spent a bit too much time watching Fassbender sit in a car as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.