Anyone seen Sound of Freedom?

125,815 Views | 1511 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by General Jack D. Ripper
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good interview.

Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Lots here absolutely raking TC over the coals. It's not deserved.
Jett01
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Seems like an honest question for someone who is in the industry.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Coog97 said:

TCTTS said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Quote:

Jim Caviezel has used QAnon rhetoric to promote this movie.
Explain how rhetoric is a reason to not see this film?

I've seriously lost track of the amount of times I've explained this. I literally just explained it - again - a few posts above, while I went into much more detail in a post yesterday, and multiple times before that. I'm genuinely asking… do you skip a lot of posts? Do you skip a lot of *my* posts? That's fine if you do - I get that there's a ton to keep track of - but man, I just don't know if I have the stamina anymore to keep repeating myself over and over and over again. It's like everyone who's commenting lately is commenting as if they've hardly read a word of this thread, and especially as if they've hardly read a word I've said.

I apologize in advance if you've already been over this… I did actually go back through the thread trying to find your feedback, but if you have given it, I simply missed it amidst the pages and pages of posts, so please forgive me if I'm asking you to repeat yourself, but as someone who makes their living in the craft, all the tangential conversation aside, I'd like to know what you thought of the film?
That's just it, he hasn't even seen the film.
amercer
AG
Jett01 said:

Ghost of Bisbee said:

Seems like an honest question for someone who is in the industry.

Pretty sure he's given a bunch of honest answers about how, as someone in the industry, he would have made and marketed a film on an important subject if he wanted the largest possible audience to see it.

And just to be fair, if a group of people whole liked to do interviews and podcasts about how they were involved in trafficking decided to make a movie about QAnnon, I'd be skeptical of their motivations as well.
TCTTS
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Coog97 said:

TCTTS said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Quote:

I've seriously lost track of the amount of times I've explained this. I literally just explained it - again - a few posts above, while I went into much more detail in a post yesterday, and multiple times before that. I'm genuinely asking… do you skip a lot of posts? Do you skip a lot of *my* posts? That's fine if you do - I get that there's a ton to keep track of - but man, I just don't know if I have the stamina anymore to keep repeating myself over and over and over again. It's like everyone who's commenting lately is commenting as if they've hardly read a word of this thread, and especially as if they've hardly read a word I've said.

I apologize in advance if you've already been over this… I did actually go back through the thread trying to find your feedback, but if you have given it, I simply missed it amidst the pages and pages of posts, so please forgive me if I'm asking you to repeat yourself, but as someone who makes their living in the craft, all the tangential conversation aside, I'd like to know what you thought of the film?

It's been out for FOUR days. Not only have I already explained how I'll catch it next month on digital, that I'm seeing four other movies this month that are higher priority for me, and have multiple social obligations (friends in town, a vacation in a couple weeks, etc), once again... none of my points in this thread have argued about the contents of the movie itself. We've *clearly* been using this thread to talk about all the things *surrounding* this movie as well. Considering how obvious I and others have been about that, it's super f/cking weird how demanding some of y'all are that I see this movie ASAP. Especially when, as someone brought up earlier, you guys have spent YEARS telling us on this board how you refuse to watch movie after movie for political reasons, yet b*tch endlessly about those exact same movies. Somehow, we've now reached yet another new height of hypocrisy in that regard. And I'm not even saying I won't see it! Just that I will eventually.
Coog97
TCTTS said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Coog97 said:

TCTTS said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Quote:

It's been out for FOUR days. Not only have I already explained how I'll catch it next month on digital, that I'm seeing four other movies this month that are higher priority for me, and have multiple social obligations (friends in town, a vacation in a couple weeks, etc), once again... none of my points in this thread have argued about the contents of the movie itself. We've *clearly* been using this thread to talk about all the things *surrounding* this movie as well. Considering how clear I and others have been about that, it's super f/cking weird how demanding some of y'all are that I see this movie ASAP. Especially when, as someone brought up earlier, you guys have spent YEARS telling us on this board how you refuse to watch movie after movie for political reasons, yet b*tch endlessly about those exact same movies. Somehow, we've now reached yet another new height of hypocrisy in that regard. And I'm not even saying I won't see it! Just that I will eventually.

Looking forward to your feedback, when you are finally able to share it with us. Normally, I wouldn't give two $h!+$, but since the conversation AROUND the film has become such a phenomenon here and so utterly devisive, and as you are an unparalleled contemporary film expert and insider, within the context of this board, I don't think there's anything unusual about being curious about your perception of the movie, since it's been such a hot button topic. It may have only been out for four days, as you pointed out, but it's been a non-stop topic of conversation in those four days, one you've been smack dab in the middle of… constantly.

Until then, enjoy viewing your other, more highly-prioritized films, time with friends, parties and vacation time!
“Things weren’t gentle and politically correct in those days. We weren’t candy asses. Okay?”
-Frank Borman

“Who are you to doubt El Dandy? ‘Cause this guy’s a serious professional.”
-Bret Hart
TCTTS
AG
Genuinely - thank you for asking and replying with understanding and level-headedness, in a non-accusatory manner. It's very much appreciated, and I'll definitely share my thoughts when I can.
TCTTS
AG
The below perfectly sums up so much of the nonsense surrounding this movie (notice I said "surroundIng," not the movie itself). So many conspiracy-peddling voices seeing imaginary conspiracy theories around every corner, be it the media/Hollywood trying to "suppress" the movie or, now, actual movie theaters malevolently attempting to cancel screenings, which is maybe the most hilarious accusation yet. The sheer pretzel logic one must engage in to think that movie theaters, in a post-pandemic world, are actively turning away customers is just, wow… what an incredible business plan. They get to stop people from seeing the horrors of child trafficking AND make no money in the process. Genius!

When, in reality…

- Individual theaters often have their own AC units, separate from the lobby, bathrooms, etc.
- Most theaters have little to no control over the online ticketing system itself.
- Theaters can potentially be sued if someone happens to suffer complications from heat exhaustion and weren't warned in advance.
- They didn't even cancel the screening, they simply wanted to be able to tell people in person.

The same type of common sense can be applied to all of these conspiracy theories, yet here we are, with a certain contingent of this movie's audience spreading them like wild fire, and then griping at those of us who have the audacity to say something in response...

Jett01
AG
TCTTS said:

Genuinely - thank you for asking and replying with understanding and level-headedness, in a non-accusatory manner. It's very much appreciated, and I'll definitely share my thoughts when I can.

You just said you would share thoughts when you had time to see the movie and then you shared thoughts without seeing the movie.

Edit: others want to hear your thoughts, not your thoughts on others thoughts

BoydCrowder13
TCTTS said:

The below perfectly sums up so much of the nonsense surrounding this movie (notice I said "surroundIng," not the movie itself). So many conspiracy-peddling voices seeing imaginary conspiracy theories around every corner, be it the media/Hollywood trying to "suppress" the movie or, now, actual movie theaters malevolently attempting to cancel screenings, which is maybe the most hilarious accusation yet. The sheer pretzel logic one must engage in to think that movie theaters, in a post-pandemic world, are actively turning away customers is just, wow… what an incredible business plan. They get to stop people from seeing the horrors of child trafficking AND make no money in the process. Genius!

When, in reality…

- Individual theaters often have their own AC units, separate from the lobby, bathrooms, etc.
- Most theaters have little to no control over the online ticketing system itself.
- Theaters can potentially be sued if someone happens to suffer complications from heat exhaustion and weren't warned in advance.
- They didn't even cancel the screening, they simply wanted to be able to tell people in person.

The same type of common sense can be applied to all of these conspiracy theories, yet here we are, with a certain contingent of this movie's audience spreading them like wild fire, and then griping at those of us who have the audacity to say something in response...

Cmon man. You are pulling tweets from random alt right pages? 95% of conservatives don't associate with these people.

I know a lot of people that have seen this film and none are like this.
TCTTS
AG
It was retweeted into my feed. I'd never even heard of this account. Regardless, this is the kind of stuff I've been seeing for days, and what's muddying the movie for so many who aren't squarely on the right. In other words, if these people could keep their crazy to themselves, Caviezel chief among them, no one would be dubious about the movie itself.
TCTTS
AG
Jett01 said:

TCTTS said:

You just said you would share thoughts when you had time to see the movie and then you shared thoughts without seeing the movie.

Edit: others want to hear your thoughts, not your thoughts on others thoughts

These aren't my thoughts ABOUT the movie. How is that so hard to understand?

I have thoughts on how this movie is being marketed/talked about. I'll eventually have thoughts on the movie itself. Those are two completely different things.
Jett01
AG
I think most are curious about your thoughts of the movie, not how it's being marketed or portrayed. I also don't think that's too hard to understand.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
I'm one of those curious about his thoughts about how the movie is marketed.
Jett01
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Well, you should be well versed on that by now.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
amercer said:

I would encourage you to check your sources, and read widely on any topic you are really interested in. Understanding the problem is the first step to doing something about it.

TCTTS
AG
(I had somehow never seen this gif and admit I just laughed.)
amercer
AG
I'm just confused on why it's not a Q.
Quad Dog
AG
TCTTS said:

Can you tell us your thoughts surrounding the promotion of that gif?
Eso si, Que es
The glory of social media is everyone gets to put their POV out there (including ourselves here). I have no doubt that theater had some kind of event to refund tickets. I have no doubt people will call it conspiratorial and the film makers are loving the free publicity from these individuals. Sometimes things just happen and Occam's razor normally applies.

Here is what I don't get. I sent an email to one of my local theaters to ask for expanded viewing opportunities for this film, as it was constantly sold out. We all know that it has a smaller distribution, and I can understand the limited release, I am a businessman. What is strange is that in my community, it isn't getting the viewings it is commanding and I can see how it is performing. As sad as this may be, I look multiple times per day to see if the theaters are adjusting schedules.

Star Cinema baybrook has 4 viewings per day. On Thursday they added a viewing in an auditorium previously showing IJ5 and it sold out by 4PM (same day). They changed 2 viewings per day from 60 seat auditoriums to 100 seat auditoriums and they continue to sell out (some awkward front row seats don't always sell). How can a business sell approximately 230/240 seats per day, expand and sell 320/340 seats per day, have practically zero walk up availability and not make an adjustment? Even tonight there is one showing remaining that has 103/106 seats sold, just 3 singles remain. While the single showing off IJ5 has 20/166 seats sold, sit anywhere you want.

Cinemark NASA is doing 8 viewings per day of Freedom at about 550 seat capacity and also selling out, except the awkward front row seats. Even the 8:40AM showing was sold out today. Remaining for today there is 3 showings of IJ5 with about 600 seat total capacity and 25 seats sold. There is one viewing for Sound of Freedom with 51 seat capacity and 3 front row seats remain.

I wouldn't suggest they are trying to suppress the movie, I am just embarrassed for my theater managers that they are that bad at business. They are turning people away, by not having enough availability. Sure, maybe people just go next week and extend the run, but there are empty seats in both theaters that could absolutely be filled if they adjusted their schedules. We know the theaters are going to be packed for a month with MI, Oppenheimer, Barbie. This movie could be bridging the gap even more for the IJ5 abysmal showing and keep butts in seats. (It is abysmal in my theaters at least with 20% capacity for a $300MM budget during week 1)

https://www.starcinemagrill.net/movie-theater/baybrook
https://www.cinemark.com/theatres/tx-webster/cinemark-nasa-and-xd?showDate=2023-07-08

As I typed this, Cinemark added a 10PM show tomorrow in conjunction with their 9:50PM showing, kudos to them, I bet they fill up. It looks like they stole another viewing from IJ5.
TCTTS
AG
Quad Dog said:

TCTTS said:

It's obviously clever, and in a situation such as this, props for not using a gif we've seen a millions times prior (see: Jennifer Lawrence giving a sarcastic thumbs up as she says "Okay"). Also, points for the use of Vanna White, considering she's been in the news as of late, so it doubles as topical as well (the sign of what we call a "gif-ted" poster). Not to mention the fact that she's an attractive female, which is always a tried-and-true go-to on these forums.

Unfortunately, I have to subtract points for being such a low quality gif, pixel-wise, and the three-hour lag time response is going to count against him as well. We like to see these posted in a much more timely manner - preferably within minutes - seeing as speed is not only the number one indicator of a mastery of the gif database, but brevity is of course the soul of whit.

All-in-all, though, an incredibly solid effort.
Eso si, Que es
TCTTS said:

Quad Dog said:

TCTTS said:

It's obviously clever, and in a situation such as this, props for not using a gif we've seen a millions times prior (see: Jennifer Lawrence giving a sarcastic thumbs up as she says "Okay"). Also, points for the use of Vanna White, considering she's been in the news as of late, so it doubles as topical as well (the sign of what we call a "gif-ted" poster). Not to mention the fact that she's an attractive female, which is always a tried-and-true go-to on these forums.

Unfortunately, I have to subtract points for being such a low quality gif, pixel-wise, and the three-hour lag time response is going to count against him as well. We like to see these posted in a much more timely manner - preferably within minutes - seeing as speed is not only the number one indicator of a mastery of the gif database, but brevity is of course the soul of whit.

All-in-all, though, an incredibly solid effort.
These are the kind of reviews we need, nay, crave.
TCTTS
AG
Theaters can add shows, but I'm pretty sure there are certain contractual obligations with studios, in that any given movie must be in X amount of theaters for Y amount days. I'm not 100% certain on that, but theaters don't have carte blanche to do whatever they want. Agreeing to show a certain movie comes with certain stipulations.
agsquirrel97
AG
TCTTS said:

Theaters can add shows, but I'm pretty sure there are certain contractual obligations with studios, in that any given movie must be in X amount of theaters for Y amount days. I'm not 100% certain on that, but theaters don't have carte blanche to do whatever they want. Agreeing to show a certain movie comes with certain stipulations.
Good to know
Quad Dog
AG
Did you even see the gif, or did your preemptively dismiss it because of Vanna White's stated opinions on the letter Q?
Tobias Funke
AG
TCTTS, I have many times on this board remarked that I appreciate your knowledge and input on entertainment topics. You are an amazing asset to this website and particularly this board that I frequent.
That said, you've got to learn to let stupid posts go. You've spent enough time on this thread defending your opinions that I honestly think you could've seen the film twice. You seem like a genuinely good dude but you have to realize people on here are sometimes just flippant jackasses (guilty) or outright trolls. But all in all, while I feel like a couple of the points you were trying to make fell flat, I do think I understand where you're coming from and it is absolutely ridiculous that some posters on here make you a target. That is very dumb.

Furthermore…

This thread is a perfect capsule of why our 24 hour news networks and cultural political tribalism are the biggest divisive issues in America. We have become trained to just hate "the other side" and spout off talking points that we probably don't fully understand and definitely haven't taken the time to verify, and as a result good people are going at each other's throats on the internet in the name of "being more right".

Frankly, this thread is disgusting.

My girlfriend just returned from a trip to Nepal where she was directing a documentary on rampant sex trafficking. I learned more this past month on the issue than I've known my whole life, and it's heartbreaking how common and accepted this problem is in other countries.

Yet here we are, filling page after page of a stupid A&M message board, trying to one up each other on who is a dumb lib or a lunatic right winger. Odds are you folks on both sides aren't that different, you've just decided to pick a tribe and dig your heels in.

We don't have a lot of problems in America, all things considered.

The reality is that there are embarrassing extremes on both sides, right and left. If we want to name those groups, we can, but I know if I take a stab at it here it'll just spiral off into another 10 pages of bull**it. But we all know who the extremists are.

Unfortunately, the left and the right refuse to acknowledge that they are associated with those extremists and publicly condemn them. Instead, you see accusations of "fake news" and "false flags" and "bad science", etc. As long as we keep blaming the "other side" for our bad actors, they will continue to thrive.

In the end, the left and the right are not all that different. Cut the tribal horsecrap and turn off CNN/ Fox News and you'll find much more commonality than you'd believe.

Lastly, I laughed very hard at Paul Walker somehow making his way into this insane thread. Did not have that on my bingo card. Ok, bye.

Urban Ag
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

we all know you are very curious about TCTBS or whatever Redstone calls him.

He's clearly not interested. Move on.
Urban Ag
AG
Tobias Funke said:

TCTTS, I have many times on this board remarked that I appreciate your knowledge and input on entertainment topics. You are an amazing asset to this website and particularly this board that I frequent.
That said, you've got to learn to let stupid posts go. You've spent enough time on this thread defending your opinions that I honestly think you could've seen the film twice. You seem like a genuinely good dude but you have to realize people on here are sometimes just flippant jackasses (guilty) or outright trolls. But all in all, while I feel like a couple of the points you were trying to make fell flat, I do think I understand where you're coming from and it is absolutely ridiculous that some posters on here make you a target. That is very dumb.

Furthermore…

This thread is a perfect capsule of why our 24 hour news networks and cultural political tribalism are the biggest divisive issues in America. We have become trained to just hate "the other side" and spout off talking points that we probably don't fully understand and definitely haven't taken the time to verify, and as a result good people are going at each other's throats on the internet in the name of "being more right".

Frankly, this thread is disgusting.

My girlfriend just returned from a trip to Nepal where she was directing a documentary on rampant sex trafficking. I learned more this past month on the issue than I've known my whole life, and it's heartbreaking how common and accepted this problem is in other countries.

Yet here we are, filling page after page of a stupid A&M message board, trying to one up each other on who is a dumb lib or a lunatic right winger. Odds are you folks on both sides aren't that different, you've just decided to pick a tribe and dig your heels in.

We don't have a lot of problems in America, all things considered.

The reality is that there are embarrassing extremes on both sides, right and left. If we want to name those groups, we can, but I know if I take a stab at it here it'll just spiral off into another 10 pages of bull**it. But we all know who the extremists are.

Unfortunately, the left and the right refuse to acknowledge that they are associated with those extremists and publicly condemn them. Instead, you see accusations of "fake news" and "false flags" and "bad science", etc. As long as we keep blaming the "other side" for our bad actors, they will continue to thrive.

In the end, the left and the right are not all that different. Cut the tribal horsecrap and turn off CNN/ Fox News and you'll find much more commonality than you'd believe.

Lastly, I laughed very hard at Paul Walker somehow making his way into this insane thread. Did not have that on my bingo card. Ok, bye.

Ghost of Bisbee
AG
TCTTS said:

Tibbers said:

I think he might be a light weight. Dude has never had to doing any life at all most likely, again, I have no idea. Let's see how he responds. Money on the line?

Your obsession with me has officially reached creepy-as-hell status. For days now, your delusion, relentlessness, ignorance, phrasing, and sick need to not only challenge every last word I post, but to ensure some kind of public fall from grace, has grown increasingly frightening. To the point where there is absolutely no way I'm dealing with a mentally stable individual.

This is one of the funniest exchanges between two people on TexAgs I've seen
Jack Ruby

StandUpforAmerica
Interesting....

BassCowboy33
I call it the "Sean Penn Effect", which is the ability to enjoy a movie based on its merits regardless of--and often in spite of--the political, social, and moral leanings of its producers, actors, and studios.

Ex: "Yeah, Sean Penn is a crazy, far-left loon, but Mystic River is a kickass film."
Ex: "I know Kevin Spacey is a pervy predator, but The Usual Suspects is legit one of the best films ever made."
dreyOO
We still stream iHeart radio for stations we liked in our travel. One is a Spanish only station out of San Diego. Was shocked to hear a Spanish ad for this movie just now. Not exactly the Q conspiracy theorists some on this board are hyperventilating about
Eso si, Que es
dreyOO said:

We still stream iHeart radio for stations we liked in our travel. One is a Spanish only station out of San Diego. Was shocked to hear a Spanish ad for this movie just now. Not exactly the Q conspiracy theorists some on this board are hyperventilating about
I have seen a few showtimes in Houston area that are in Spanish.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.