Anyone seen Sound of Freedom?

125,551 Views | 1511 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by General Jack D. Ripper
BowSowy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Saxsoon said:

Is there a thread to talk about the movie?

Of course not. It's like the last of us thread, but not quite as bad
This is way worse. Also, **** you.

But seriously, this movie came across my radar today and I was pleasantly surprised to see a long discussion about it since it seemed interesting. But holy hell, this was something else.
ExtremeRush
AG
Sapper Redux said:

QAnon conspiracies about trafficking are, and conflating medical care for trans teens with "grooming," certainly is.

Not sure it's grooming but I think most people would agree that surgically changing kids' bodies is pure evil.

emando2000
AG
Just got out of the movie. I thought it was anything but political. If this movie was rated R it would be impossible to watch. It still had difficult moments and people will react differently. While many were sniffing during scenes, I found myself getting angrier. This movie really only tells the story of the pursuit to rescue these 2 kids. It doesn't have a political twist at all. The most you'll get is the "Gods Children are not for Sale" comment. Even that was just a small part of the movie. Overall it's a good movie but not great. I do hope it spreads like wildfire, the topic needs to be discussed more.
dreyOO
jeffk said:

Hopefully all the people angry about the lack of press this movie is getting will go and find an aid organization or non-profit that works to address human trafficking to support financially.

https://www.a21.org/

https://mercyproject.org

Thanks for posting these links. As a dad, I'm terrified of something happening to my kids or a kid I know. I know there's not much I can do, but I proudly wear my Operation Underground Railroad gear when we're out in places like malls or amusement parks. I hope any bad guys realize there are more good guys around that are aware of the situations. Guys like Plano good on you man helping that girl.

I don't know anything about this movie other than my wife told me we're watching it soon. Like Caviezal and OUR so I think those are both bonuses. No idea how this isn't the most unifying topic on the planet. For all the bull**** nonsense we hear about reparations, you'd think we would prioritize destroying this evil industry.
aTmAg
AG
Parents trying to convince their kids to transition is munchausen by proxy. 3rd party people who try to convince kids to transition are groomers.

HTH
Robert L. Peters
Capybara said:

It's unfortunate that large portions of audiences no longer care about the broader aesthetics of any film. I'd probably just kms if I were middle-aged and getting into arguments online about human/child trafficking as it relates to some poorly-made movie like this one. Every nation's intelligence organizations either abet or ignore this stuff. Sucks, but sh/t movies like this have no shot at cracking that open.

Bro. The movie is at 88% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's not audience score, that's critics. So…
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
Prime0882
AG
The Green Dragon said:

jeffk said:

Literally no one has done that. In fact almost every post has been supportive of the problem of trafficking getting more attention and more resources to address.

Sorry, you're right. They didn't attack the message, just the messenger.
Can't really blame someone whenever the messenger is so annoying. Creating a quasi-brigading of the Entertainment board to have a bunch of F16er's come over and yell at people turns people off from listening to whatever your message is.
aTmAg
AG
F16 posters improve the quality of this board.

You are welcome.
Raiderjay
Saw it last night, theater 80% full. No mention or reference to ANY wacko conspiracies, QAnon, adrenochrome, etc....

It was just a well done story, hard to watch sometimes because of the horrible ugliness of human trafficking of children, of a man who does everything he can to save a few kids from evil and trying to raise awareness and action...

Beast of Burden
Prime0882 said:

The Green Dragon said:

jeffk said:

Literally no one has done that. In fact almost every post has been supportive of the problem of trafficking getting more attention and more resources to address.

Can't really blame someone whenever the messenger is so annoying. Creating a quasi-brigading of the Entertainment board to have a bunch of F16er's come over and yell at people turns people off from listening to whatever your message is.

Yes. We here on the entertainment board prefer to castigate and act catty from a distance. Please cease any direct contact or open discussions.

Thanks.
Prime0882
AG
Raiderjay said:

Saw it last night, theater 80% full. No mention or reference to ANY wacko conspiracies, QAnon, adrenochrome, etc....

It was just a well done story, hard to watch sometimes because of the horrible ugliness of human trafficking of children, of a man who does everything he can to save a few kids from evil and trying to raise awareness and action...

Cool. Glad y'all liked it. Taken 1, 2, and 3, "started" the message of "human trafficking = bad" back in 2008, so the message has been out there.
Sea Speed
AG
Yep, because Liam Neeson covered it, no need to tell the story again. Now let's March in to Hollywood with our pitchforks for all those other "been covered before" topics they are so fond of.
Eso si, Que es
Prime0882 said:

Raiderjay said:

Cool. Glad y'all liked it. Taken 1, 2, and 3, "started" the message of "human trafficking = bad" back in 2008, so the message has been out there.
And Blazing Saddles pretty much wrapped up the topic of racism being bad, so I'm not real sure why they even bothered making 12 years a slave decades later just to rehash the same topic. Everyone already understood how bad racism was from a completely fictitious story produced a half a century ago.
Prime0882
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

Prime0882 said:

Raiderjay said:

And Blazing Saddles pretty much wrapped up the topic of racism being bad, so I'm not real sure why they even bothered making 12 years a slave decades later just to rehash the same topic. Everyone already understood how bad racism was from a completely fictitious story produced a half a century ago.
Exactly! Thank you for proving my point. That said, the plight of street car racing spy families has still gone on way too long under the radar, so we do still need more Fast and the Furious movies. This topic has been completely covered, though.
emando2000
AG
Prime0882 said:

Eso si, Que es said:

Prime0882 said:

Raiderjay said:

Exactly! Thank you for proving my point. That said, the plight of street car racing spy families has still gone on way too long under the radar, so we do still need more Fast and the Furious movies. This topic has been completely covered, though.

What decade would movies have ended with your logic since topics should only be covered once?
FtWorthHorn
dreyOO said:

jeffk said:

Hopefully all the people angry about the lack of press this movie is getting will go and find an aid organization or non-profit that works to address human trafficking to support financially.

Thanks for posting these links. As a dad, I'm terrified of something happening to my kids or a kid I know. I know there's not much I can do, but I proudly wear my Operation Underground Railroad gear when we're out in places like malls or amusement parks. I hope any bad guys realize there are more good guys around that are aware of the situations. Guys like Plano good on you man helping that girl.
The good news is that's not really how trafficking works. It's not people jumping out of a van and grabbing a random kid. It's almost always someone the kid knows and comes to trust, and they go to the trafficker willingly (not understanding what is going to happen). So the point isn't that you shouldn't worry about your kids, it's that everyone should know what trafficking actually looks like and warn their kids about THAT. Don't get paranoid in a public place - that's incredibly unlikely to be an issue.
EclipseAg
AG
Prime0882 said:

The Green Dragon said:

jeffk said:

Creating a quasi-brigading of the Entertainment board to have a bunch of F16er's come over and yell at people turns people off from listening to whatever your message is.
Such a weird take. Do you believe TexAgs posters are confined to just a single board? Is there a membership card we need to present to post on Entertainment?

I read -- and sometimes comment on -- lots of TexAgs boards, even ones in which I am an infrequent visitor. No poster or group of posters owns those boards, and no one owns Entertainment. It's open to anyone who has an interest in the topic.

Some people don't care to gush like a schoolgirl over movies or TV shows. But they are interested in the larger social implications of entertainment or the intersection of entertainment and politics. And that's okay.
dreyOO
FtWorthHorn said:

dreyOO said:

jeffk said:

The good news is that's not really how trafficking works. It's not people jumping out of a van and grabbing a random kid. It's almost always someone the kid knows and comes to trust, and they go to the trafficker willingly (not understanding what is going to happen). So the point isn't that you shouldn't worry about your kids, it's that everyone should know what trafficking actually looks like and warn their kids about THAT. Don't get paranoid in a public place - that's incredibly unlikely to be an issue.

Meanwhile an 11-year old in Denver (my home metro) was literally just abducted. I understand how trafficking works. I'm from Houston where they ship thousands upon thousands of kids fresh off the boat each week.

My point is that I want all the pervy *******s are still walking around checking out kids. Somebody is consuming the kids. Might as well let them know there's another sheepdog on the opposite team.
Prime0882
AG
EclipseAg said:

Prime0882 said:

The Green Dragon said:

jeffk said:

Creating a quasi-brigading of the Entertainment board to have a bunch of F16er's come over and yell at people turns people off from listening to whatever your message is.
Such a weird take. Do you believe TexAgs posters are confined to just a single board? Is there a membership card we need to present to post on Entertainment?

I read -- and sometimes comment on -- lots of TexAgs boards, even ones in which I am an infrequent visitor. No poster or group of posters owns those boards, and no one owns Entertainment. It's open to anyone who has an interest in the topic.

Some people don't care to gush like a schoolgirl over movies or TV shows. But they are interested in the larger social implications of entertainment or the intersection of entertainment and politics. And that's okay.
No argument from me on your last statement, and I agree. But, F16 was a QAnon hotspot for a healthy chunk of the last four years. If I see someone who has a posting history heavily on the politics board I'm going to take whatever they have to say with a grain of salt.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Let me preface that I was never a QAnon guy, and would often argue with those guys over on F16. I think you are being hyperbolic here. The QAnon stuff was mostly blown up at the start of Biden's presidency nearly 3 years ago as a result of the Jan 6th idiocy, and the actual mega thread over on F16 was removed at some point around that time. It's been a while since Texags has been any sort of hot bed for QAnon conspiracies, is all I'm saying.

Now whether some posters still are active in that stuff off site is another thing entirely, but we are 7 pages in on a thread where the actual movie has barely been discussed because one side would rather attack the messenger and the other side is unable to resist pointing out similar conspiracies that most people bought wholesale the past 7 years. I think just about all of your problems with the messenger have been brought forth and discussed ad nauseum at this point.

From what it sounds like, the movie is pretty good, if tough to watch, and has had good word of mouth, if it's beating one of Disney's tent poles for the summer. There is a reason for that, and I don't think you can just hand wave it away as they are all conspiracy theorists.
Beast of Burden
Prime0882 said:

EclipseAg said:

Prime0882 said:

The Green Dragon said:

jeffk said:

No argument from me on your last statement, and I agree. But, F16 was a QAnon hotspot for a healthy chunk of the last four years. If I see someone who has a posting history heavily on the politics board I'm going to take whatever they have to say with a grain of salt.

Oh nooo. A single thread on an entire board discussed Q anon (and only a small subset of posters at that)!

Now you don't have to actually support any of your "arguments"!

Smooth brain thinking *thumbs up emoji*
FtWorthHorn
dreyOO said:

FtWorthHorn said:

dreyOO said:

jeffk said:

I'm from Houston where they ship thousands upon thousands of kids fresh off the boat each week.

But this is my point. The thing you posted (thousands of kids fresh off the boat each week) isn't true at all. That's made up. It's a deep misunderstanding of how trafficking (a real and widespread problem!) actually occurs.
aTmAg
AG
Prime0882 said:

EclipseAg said:

Prime0882 said:

The Green Dragon said:

jeffk said:

Hot spot? It was one thread. Most people (like myself) rarely or never posted on that thread. And half who did were bashing the conspiracy nonsense.
fig96
AG
Quote:

From what it sounds like, the movie is pretty good, if tough to watch, and has had good word of mouth, if it's beating one of Disney's tent poles for the summer. There is a reason for that, and I don't think you can just hand wave it away as they are all conspiracy theorists.
Just to clarify, and because that sounded odd and I checked the numbers, it beat Indy on the 4th of July (after being heavily marketed to a very specific demo). That's impressive, but it's nowhere close to out grossing Indy and I'd be very surprised if it gets anywhere close.
Bird Poo
AG
EclipseAg said:

Prime0882 said:

The Green Dragon said:

jeffk said:

This.

The "dar dar it's a Q-Anon movie for Trumpers" are looking like complete idiots.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
BowSowy said:

Ghost of Bisbee said:

Saxsoon said:

Is there a thread to talk about the movie?

Of course not. It's like the last of us thread, but not quite as bad
This is way worse. Also, **** you.

But seriously, this movie came across my radar today and I was pleasantly surprised to see a long discussion about it since it seemed interesting. But holy hell, this was something else.

Such a big, bad, internet tough guy you are

Keep on your path of trying to blue star **** your way to greatness. Working out well for you

Suggest using your protected status to block me like I suggested to you months ago. We don't banter

TequilaMockingbird
LMCane said:

it's too bad that every American doesn't see this movie

just like with Sicario

Hollywood doesn't want some issues to be discussed or known.
This
TequilaMockingbird
I was trying to remember what I had seen Jim Caviezel in from years back. He played the head football coach for Concorde De La Salle High School in When the Game Stands Tall.

Welp, back under my rock.
Saxsoon
AG
I liked him in Person of Interest
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
fig96 said:

Quote:

Just to clarify, and because that sounded odd and I checked the numbers, it beat Indy on the 4th of July (after being heavily marketed to a very specific demo). That's impressive, but it's nowhere close to out grossing Indy and I'd be very surprised if it gets anywhere close.

Appreciate the correction.
aTmAg
AG
He was in a movie named Frequency with Dennis Quaid. 10/10. Highly recommend.
Proposition Joe
I don't think many of us care about F16's chiming in with their insight/feelings about the film.

But F16 is a... bit of an echo chamber that meets those who offer a different voice with a lot of combative and "gotcha!" type posts. I don't think anyone can read that board and claim otherwise. It's Rivalries board except instead of A&M vs Texas it's heavy red leaning vs heavy blue leaning. And that's fine for that forum.

But when those posting styles end up on other boards, it tends to push away anyone looking for just normal Entertainment Board conversation.

In short, it's not a disdain for the poster, or the poster's viewpoints... It's a disdain for the posting style.
Urban Ag
AG
Prime0882 said:

EclipseAg said:

Prime0882 said:

The Green Dragon said:

jeffk said:

Also a very bad take.

The average F16 poster, myself included, didn't follow nor cares an iota about the Qanon BS. I really don't even know what it is. I never clicked the thread. It's a handful of posters. I don't do reddit. I don't follow any of this sh**. I am merely an unapologetic conservative that held his nose and voted Trump because I find the notion of casting a vote for Hillary or Biden equally as ridiculous as you probably to voting for Trump.

This "Q" bullsh** is absolute fringe. To put it in Entertainment Board terminology, it's the "Scientology" of the right. I don't even bother with it as I know I am not interested.

All that said, it's amazing to me the takes presented on this thread in regards to a topic that should be universally concerning to any semi decent person. It's telling.
aTmAg
AG
Proposition Joe said:

But F16 is a... bit of an echo chamber that meets those who offer a different voice with a lot of combative and "gotcha!" type posts. I don't think anyone can read that board and claim otherwise. It's Rivalries board except instead of A&M vs Texas it's heavy red leaning vs heavy blue leaning. And that's fine for that forum.
This is a mischaracterization. Just because one side outnumbers the other does not mean that discussion does not exist or is shamed away. Tanya has been on that board longer than me, and she's a flaming lib. There is always a non-trivial number of liberals posting there. And between conservatives there are more discussions that go beyond cheering for a team (like Desantis vs Trump or Ukraine vs Russia), but they talk about topics and policies all the time.

Where the rivalries board, by definition, is is 100% us vs them. Any time a rival loses, Ags mock them. Any time the Ags lose, rivals mock us. That's 100% of it (and occasional hottie pics). There is no discussion on offensive schemes or anything like that. It's fans trashing each other (which is occasionally fun).
Prime0882
AG
Urban Ag said:

Prime0882 said:

EclipseAg said:

Prime0882 said:

The Green Dragon said:

jeffk said:

Also a very bad take.

The average F16 poster, myself included, didn't follow nor cares an iota about the Qanon BS. I really don't even know what it is. I never clicked the thread. It's a handful of posters. I don't do reddit. I don't follow any of this sh**. I am merely an unapologetic conservative that held his nose and voted Trump because I find the notion of casting a vote for Hillary or Biden equally as ridiculous as you probably to voting for Trump.

This "Q" bullsh** is absolute fringe. To put it in Entertainment Board terminology, it's the "Scientology" of the right. I don't even bother with it as I know I am not interested.

All that said, it's amazing to me the takes presented on this thread in regards to a topic that should be universally concerning to any semi decent person. It's telling.
Everyone agreed the movie is a topic that is concerning (regardless of my Taken joke). Proposition Joe hit the nail on the head about why this thread is continuing away from discussion of the movie (that does have a good overall message) and off into another direction.

The taint of QAnon is not going away from that forum, for me at least, since I lurked there enough to know today's full throated rebuke of the QAnon posting was not occurring when F16 was a hotbed for it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.