*** Barry Season 4 ***

21,723 Views | 238 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Max Power
bigjag19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Perfect with some amazing WTF thrown in.

The guys complaining after the shootout was top notch.

Gene was free if he doesn't kill Barry and Barry confesses.
KidDoc
AG
Loved it. All time top 5 series for me
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sex Panther
AG
Thought that finale was brilliant and the perfect way to end a show like Barry
PatAg
AG
All of the times Barry went in and got guns at the wal-mart (or whatever it was) was hilarious
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I loved the ending. Barry is there to confess and clear Gene, instead Gene blows him away and has everything land on him while Barry is glorified in death. Perfect for this show
Tobias Funke
AG
Amazing the the Hollywood version of Barry's story just kinda blended Gene and Fuchs together.

This whole season was so different than what I expected but I think I loved it. That was weird tv but some brilliant unforgettable moments
jackie childs
the bulk of this last season and the finale just missed the mark for me. it was well-shot and even well-written, i just didn't like the direction they went.

Complete Idiot
I thought it was wild and weird and funny, much like the entire run of the show.
VAXMaster
AG
Didn't hate the ending but the last season was the weakest for sure. Barry got what he deserved, the son got what he deserved (able to live his life without being the son of a serial killer), NoHo got what he deserved. The rest of them, not as much.
HtownAg92
AG
Bregxit said:

Complete Idiot said:

Seven Costanza said:

Despite it being absurd, Stephen Root pulls off that look pretty well.
Office Space was on an HBO channel last night, Stephen Root playing a MUCH different character in Milton over 25 years ago. Hard to believe it's the same actor.
Bill Dautrieve, Buck Strickland and a bunch of other voices on King of the Hill.
oragator
Root is a UF grad too.
Bunk Moreland

Gaston Means on Boardwalk Empire

Gordon in Dodgeball

He's everywhere
boy09
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Succession

Complete Idiot
boy09 said:

My first memory of Stephen Root was in Night Court in the 80's. I bet he was only in one or two episodes but he stuck out to me for some reason. Great character actor.

Breggy Popup
AG
Man In The High Castle
Quinn
AG
Very well done, but lots of wtf to it too. I thought that the first time jump episode was miserable, which I know was the point, but didn't make for an enjoyable experience for me.

Ending didn't land for me. I guess Hader wanted to get one last dig in at Hollywood, which he seems to have a pretty dim view of (maybe rightly!).
double aught
AG
Gene becoming a suspect (and eventually convicted) was a big stretch to me. Got the feeling that writers needed to get from point A to B and didn't have a real good way to get there. Still enjoyed this season though.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Well....that was...something.
LawHall88
AG
The Prestige Podcast with Barry Hader has started back up - just released a discussion of Episodes 6 and 7.
Txmoe
AG
double aught said:

Gene becoming a suspect (and eventually convicted) was a big stretch to me. Got the feeling that writers needed to get from point A to B and didn't have a real good way to get there. Still enjoyed this season though.
That was my complaint as well. In fact, there are several plot points in Barry that require the police to be completely incompetent.

My other complaint is the time jump. Didn't seem necessary and gave us more Sally, and less Noho and Fuches.
TCTTS
AG
BadMoonRisin
AG
That's awesome.
Bunk Moreland
Bill Hader, GOOD GUY!
maca1028
FredMc92 said:

I loved how at the beginning they were talking about the assassin's gadget podcast and laughing that the gadgets never work.

Then, during the assassination attempt, Fred Armisen's gadget failed again.

I'll be back after I get through but I was reading this post as that scene was taking place
oragator
Great video on the final scene. Enjoy.

https://variety.com/video/bill-hader-barry-noho-hank-alternate-ending/
LMCane
Finally had an opportunity to watch this season!

started slow, but by the end it proved classic Barry.

so many philosophical issues brought up.

much less funny than some of the other seasons, but got to the root of the essence of redemption.

interested to read what the Ags think now that I can read this thread without worrying about spoilers...
LMCane
johncAG said:

Here's my theory for the ending, which is probably 99% incorrect

It's a time jump, not a dream. Sally and Barry escaped to middle of nowhere and lived a solitary life. The reasoning for why they could get away. Cousineau shooting the delivery driver. Since he shot them, maybe ppl assume Barry was scared and lied to protect cousianeu and the cops thing Gene is actually the killer. Hank is leader of LA, Fuchs has become king of the prison. Barry can't resist protecting his kid and does something bad which jeapordizes their secrecy and the rest of the season is fallout
NOT BAD at prognosticating here!

I realized it wasn't the delivery driver though- it was Cousineaus own son who was bringing the food he was whining about earlier in the episode
Max Power
AG
So it took a while, but I finally finished up Barry last night. I'm glad most really enjoyed the final season but it wasn't my favorite. To me the entire season was really bleak and didn't find the comedic balance of the other three seasons. There's lots of darkness in the other seasons, don't get me wrong, but there was always something funny to help balance it out. The final season was really lacking in the levity IMO. I did appreciate the appearance of Guillermo del Toro and also it sounded like Bill Burr was the Christian podcast host that said murder was acceptable when he kept looking for one that fit the message he was looking for. I understand why the show ended the way it did, perhaps they changed the mood on purpose to make sure the audience wasn't rooting for guys like Barry or Noho Hank at the end because they're terrible people at the end of the day, even if they're fun characters.

The first three seasons of the show is some of my favorite TV of all time, it's a great and completely unique show. The story, the actors, and characters they played were so well done.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.