The Legend of Zelda movie (Hypothetical)

5,700 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm seeing more and more chatter about this possibility online. Considering that Mario is going to make $1B+, and the fact that Nintendo has its own studio now, I'd say there is a better chance than there's ever been of this happening.

My question is, if you were in charge, how would you cast it, what kind of animation style would you like to see, and what story would you tell?

As much as I love the animation for Super Mario, I don't think that Illumination style animation would quite work for Zelda. So I would go with something along these lines:

As for story, I go back and forth between doing an Ocarina of Time type story (seeing the young kid turn into a young adult), or something like a Skyward Sword (origins or Hyrule) or Breath of the Wild. (A fallen, ruined kingdom and having to pick up the pieces.)

Ultimately, I think they could do a wholly new and original story that takes elements from all those. Maybe start the first act with young Link in the newly established Hyrule, who learns of his destiny and trains into his young adulthood, but somehow ends up being frozen in time for thousands of years, eventually waking up to a ruined kingdom and having to lead a war against Ganondorf with the help of Zelda's army. In this version, there was the original prophecy of a savior, but he disappeared and became myth. This way you're able to still tell the story of the mythical hero, while still making him the first one. A bit of Dune vibes. Which leads me to...

Link:

Zelda:

Ganondorf:

What would you do?
Bruce Almighty
AG
If they wanted to make as much money as possible, I think Ocarina of Time would be the way to go. It would hit both the young and old. Too many people like myself played the older games but didn't play the newer ones.
Quad Dog
AG
It would never happen, but do it live action. Cast an acting stuntman/swordsman to be Link. He never speaks a word and you surround him with an amazing cast for the speaking roles of all the other characters.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agree that it wouldn't happen, and I also worry that a Link that doesn't speak wouldn't be interesting enough as a protagonist. Though to be fair, John Wick came pretty close to that in 4.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I would love to see Zelda in an Arcane animation style.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Though I think for Nintendo it would come down to wanting to make something on brand and family friendly. I think what we'd all want would be kind of a mix between classic Zelda and something deep and gritty like Andor with an Arcane style. I think Nintendo would frown on that and want something that appeals to the under 10 crowd.
BenFiasco14
AG
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
BenFiasco14
AG
Serious answer: give Studio Ghibli the license to make a Legend of Zelda movie. Japan might go bankrupt throwing money at the cinema.

Imagine Zelda done in this art style:

CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
A two-movie deal where the first film is kid link (if ocarina of time) or light world (If link to the past) and the second movie is adult link / dark world would be sweet. That transition from one world to the other would make a great cliffhanger.

That said, I think Zelda would be a harder film to make happen than, say, Mario. Some adults will want something darker but Nintendo will want it to be kid friendly for the largest audience possible. It would be a fun challenge to cook up a plot that translates well to film.
Thanks and gig'em
jeffk
AG
The animation style from the Puss in Boots movie would be a good fit for Zelda I think.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I think you would have to do it like any of the early Disney movies, where there is very limited talking. Or Wall-E. I can't imagine a marvel-type Zelda movie, but I would be scared that is the direction they take it, with tons of hijinks involved.

The only thing Link needs to say is huh, hya, and HIYAA!

Edit: this should be the limit of what Link can say:

jeffk
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

The only thing Link needs to say is huh, hya, and HIYAA!

Well, excuuuuuuuuse me, Princess.
arrow
AG
I had this debate with my 8 yo son on the drive home from seeing Mario. I really think it should be live action and look like Lord of the Rings. My son can't fathom any style Zelda movie working because Link never talks and he thinks it would be weird to hear Link talk.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
That animation style would be perfect.
Noblemen06
AG
Link has talked before...

...yeah, that is weird
Noblemen06
AG
A Studio Ghibli feature-length Legend of Zelda movie would be too good to be true...your idea is brilliant
AgTrip
I love some of the fan-made trailers. This was a good one!

Hubert J. Farnsworth
I actually feel like an animated series would fit Zelda better than a single movie with the way the games are set up. For example, one episode could have the Gorons with Link helping them out with their problems and going through the fire dungeon. Another episode could have the Zora's and Link dealing with them and the water palace along with utilizing whatever item he finds in the area. These are just examples. I dont feel like a single movie could do it justice. An animated mini series for whichever games they want to do would do well. They could even change animation styles for each mini series if they wanted to considering most of the games have different Links and timelines. A twighlight princess mini series would definitely have a darker animation style than a series based on the NES Zelda games.
Sex Panther
AG
I don't know anything about Legend of Zelda... does Link not talk or something?
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Sex Panther said:

No, he doesn't talk. Or at least they never show his dialogue.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Sex Panther said:

To be fair, most people don't actually talk, it's usually Charlie-Brown-adult kind of talking with subtitles. Link doesn't even make noise though, outside of when he is exerting himself or gets hurt.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Billy Bob Thornton is in that?? Would never have guessed that connection.
Cromagnum
AG
I would love a Metroid movie before a Zelda one honestly. I don't think we will get either.
OnlyForNow
AG
LOVED THAT CARTOON AS A KID.

EXCUUUSSE ME PRINCESS!
BMX Bandit
It needs to be done half animation half real life as in Cool World.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ChipFTAC01
AG

I remember this trailer being a lot better. Early YouTube.
Goldie Wilson
HEY, LISTEN
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
May be happening now.

https://www.gamesradar.com/legend-of-zelda-movie-nintendo-universal/
62strat
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

Sex Panther said:

did Mario ever talk in a game? Not that I remember from early era.
Bruce Almighty
AG
62strat said:

Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

Sex Panther said:

did Mario ever talk in a game? Not that I remember from early era.

He has a few 2-3 word phrases, but that's it (at least in the main series and Mario Kart).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"Thank you so much for-to playing my game!"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://screenrant.com/legend-of-zelda-movie-link-voice-mario-chris-pratt/
wangus12
AG
Studio Ghibli is who I thought of first as well
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No longer hypothetical!

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.