The Legend of Zelda movie (Hypothetical)

5,707 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Brian Earl Spilner
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't wait until this culminates with SUPER SMASH BROS
Andrew Dufresne
Shigeru Miyamoto having his fingerprints on this film means it's guaranteed to be impeccable.

Is there anyone more legendary in the video game world? The guy is 70 and still going strong.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Miyamoto is the Spielberg, nay, the Walt Disney of video games.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Alright, let's hear those fan castings.

I'm sticking with Henry Cavill for Ganondorf, even in live action.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Lol I knew Spilner was going to be all over this as soon as the tweet went out

Anyone but Tom Holland to play Link. Would not be surprised if he's in the top 3. A young Leo DiCaprio would have been perfect for Link.

Zelda, I wouldn't mind the girl from White Lotus S2 who plays the assistant to the rich vacationer lady. Can't think of her name.

Give me RDJ for Ganondorf. He has the chops to play a great villain

Want to know what I wish they'd do but they won't?

Go with relative unknowns for Link and Zelda, like the Star Wars approach for the mains. What's great about Link is the player has agency over him. It's another reason he doesn't talk. Anyone famous playing Link kind of ruins that imo

Mario's different since he was computer-generated.

Pascal in TLOU is the one exception to the rule imo. Thought he did great in that, and it didn't ruin Joel for me
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Actually, the Emma Watson reco for Zelda is top tier. She is perfect for that role
cc10106
Aggie_Journalist said:

A two-movie deal where the first film is kid link (if ocarina of time) or light world (If link to the past) and the second movie is adult link / dark world would be sweet. That transition from one world to the other would make a great cliffhanger.

That said, I think Zelda would be a harder film to make happen than, say, Mario. Some adults will want something darker but Nintendo will want it to be kid friendly for the largest audience possible. It would be a fun challenge to cook up a plot that translates well to film.

As a child of the 80s, dark yet kid-friendly is certainly doable and would be perfect for this.
G.I.Bro
Based on her work in Harley Quinn, Kaley Cuoco would do a good Navi voice I think if she's a character. They'll probably pick anya taylor joy though
G.I.Bro
Aggie_Journalist said:

A two-movie deal where the first film is kid link (if ocarina of time) or light world (If link to the past) and the second movie is adult link / dark world would be sweet. That transition from one world to the other would make a great cliffhanger.

That said, I think Zelda would be a harder film to make happen than, say, Mario. Some adults will want something darker but Nintendo will want it to be kid friendly for the largest audience possible. It would be a fun challenge to cook up a plot that translates well to film.

John Williams or Danny Elfman score the first movie, Trent Reznor the second one
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Howard Shore would be my dream composer for this. Maybe with a collaboration with Koji Kondo.

It would be a team-up for the ages.
Quad Dog
AG
Why are you guys naming huge composer names when Zelda games already have amazing scores? Just adapt the game scores.
That was one of the best parts of the Mario movie was all the music cues from games in the score.
G.I.Bro
I was mostly going for a contrast in tone with the score if they chose to split movies between light/dark
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Because you still need a composer. Generally they don't just use the same ones from the game. Even though that'd be the best option.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Composer, I'd go Chad Seiter. He did the Symphony of Goddesses arrangements and had some amazing tracks for Windwaker and Majora's Mask.
Lathspell
AG
Nice.
AustinAg2K
Am I there only one hoping they figure out a way to have Link go the whole movie without speaking?
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Am I there only one hoping they figure out a way to have Link go the whole movie without speaking?

Right there with you
Lathspell
AG
Majoras mask movie, directed by Edgar Wright. This would be my choice. Go completely obscure with the first movie and subvert expectations.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saw this kid mentioned for Link. (Walker Scobell.) That's a pretty good call. I thought he was great in that Ryan Reynolds movie. And you straighten the hair and he's got the look for sure.

Oyster DuPree
AG
Lizzo as King Dodongo
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty good theory.

caleblyn
Live action definitely!!!

Needs to be LOTR style.

Josh Brolin was a perfect Thanos. Someone like him for Ganondorf.

Someone like the little petite girl from Neverending Story for Zelda.

Link, hmmm. Good call on the Dune actor.
AgTrip
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Saw this kid mentioned for Link. (Walker Scobell.) That's a pretty good call. I thought he was great in that Ryan Reynolds movie. And you straighten the hair and he's got the look for sure.

He's in the new Percy Jackson series on Disney +. What a resume at a young age, Percy and then Link!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's feeling real now. Excited.

Quote:

"It's going to be awesome," Ball promises. "My whole life has led up to this moment. I grew up on Zelda and it is the most important property, I think, that's untapped IP, if you will. So we very much are working hard to do something. We're not just trying to do it because we can. We want to make something really special."

Also cites LOTR, Avatar, and Miyazaki as influence.

https://ew.com/the-legend-of-zelda-wes-ball-live-action-miyazaki-8410558
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.