Are any alien invasion movies realistic?

6,108 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by schmendeler
Philo B 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What if aliens already invaded? And we ARE the aliens?
Proposition Joe
Annihilation
LMCane
Battle Los Angeles was @#$@#$ awesome and as realistic as one can get

in so far as showing real Marines and real equipment and what would happen

Swarely
The Porkchop Express said:

ALthough they get pretty ridiculous after a while, Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series of books in the 1990s depicts an alternate history where aliens show up to conquer earth right in the middle of World War II, but their knowledge of Earth's tech level is based on a probe they sent out in the 12th century. They invade anyway, but their technology is only slightly past our own in many regards, and so many countries are in the mix of the global conflict already, it's a pretty back-and-forth campaign.

Man, I have never met someone else who has read those! I actually just finished a reread of the series.

Have you read his short story "The Road Not Taken"? The premise is that humans missed some simple way to travel between the stars and focused on advancing weapons. We are invaded by an alien species that is the opposite.

Link to read it: https://www.eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf
heddleston
AG
The Netflix series comes out sometime this year so it may not count yet, but the Three Body Problem.

Full series spoiler we either get subjugated/exterminated by an advanced race who wants our planet and there's not much we can do besides threatening Mutually Assured Destruction, or we get completely wiped out by a race so unfathomably beyond us that destroying our galaxy is basically a flick of a wrist to kill a mosquito. We probably wouldn't even have time to see it coming or know what it was before everything went dark
The Porkchop Express
AG
It's been forever since I read them. I found them on a nascent sci-fi bulletin board in the 90s after I had read through Daniel Da Cruz's "The Ayes of Texas" alternate reality sci-fi series that I wouldl kill to see made into the cheesiest movie of all time.

I really need to get back to those Turtledove books. For some reason I am just the biggest sucker for alternate-reality science fiction stuff. but I've got about 9 books in my cue that I need to start/finish.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
AliasMan02
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

My question is why? Why would they destroy us? There is nothing really unique about our planet. If aliens have the technology to come visit us, they have the technology to get whatever they need from any of the thousands of planets they drove by on their way to us. Water is what is usually spouted as their goal, but they have found evidence of water on mars, and water isn't difficult to make. If something comes to visit us, it will be for the same reason we would visit them, cause it is cool.

And, no way we have government documentation of a visit in the past. Too many leaks and too many hands in the pot. Think about the money. You gonna keep quiet your whole life for 85k a year? Or, you take some evidence, write a book and go on the show and tell tour for a couple years for several million bucks. Maybe a few dedicated government men, but somebody is gonna want to get paid.

Fwiw there is tons of official documentation of UFAs that assert they are not ours and are beyond the technology of any group or nation. They just don't assert they are aliens, just an unknown.

The phenomenon of aliens visiting Earth is also the official story of a lot of other governments.
Claude!
BCG Disciple said:

There are few as realistic as this classic.

I'd like to know more.
C1NRB
AG
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
They want to pave the road, we are in the way.
Swarely
Swarely
Man, I would kill for his timeline 191 series to be made into a tv show. It would never happen, but I could dream.

I'll have to check out "The Ayes of Texas".
Stat Monitor Repairman
We are living in pre-Bladerunner times.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Author is Daniel Da Cruz. If I can sell you in one sentence - the Russians try to attack Texas and we blow up the Houston Ship Channel and counter-attack with the retro-fitted Battleship Texas riding a 100-foot tidal wave.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Author is Daniel Da Cruz. If I can sell you in one sentence - the Russians try to attack Texas and we blow up the Houston Ship Channel and counter-attack with the retro-fitted Battleship Texas riding a 100-foot tidal wave.

**** yeah!!!
Swarely

I just downloaded the book.
LMCane
Swarely said:

Man, I would kill for his timeline 191 series to be made into a tv show. It would never happen, but I could dream.

I'll have to check out "The Ayes of Texas".
LOL I bought that in paperback in the 1980s and might still have it somewhere

I think it's about the battleship Texas has to be used in time travel.

at any rate, just like Human beings kill bugs with no thought

that is probably what happens if there is a super intelligent life form out there

on the other hand, humans will already have been wiped out from artificial intelligence robots by then.

or Covid 26. or a nuclear war
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
(I realize this is almost assuredly another balloon. The timing is hilarious, though.)
MASAXET
AG
TCTTS said:

(I realize this is almost assuredly another balloon. The timing is hilarious, though.)
Technically still a UFO (for now)
superunknown
AG
that's what the Deep State (err Deep Galaxy) wants you to think.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Invasion U.S.A.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
shalackin
AG
Mars Attacks
JJxvi
AG
An alien invasion is almost certainly going to be an asymmetric conflict one way or the other, but I don't believe that "we're ****ed" is the only outcome. It just as easily could go the other way with the aliens hopelessly outmatched.

In a case where, an alien civilization has the resources to send a huge battlefleet across interstellar distances, and those ships are fully supplied and able to produce an unlimited amount of soldies and fighting material and energy as if by magic...then yeah we are ****ed.

However, what if an "alien invasion" is something more realistic like sending a colony ship of humans to a star less than a light year away at relativistic speeds and then when they get there there is a stone age civilization already there. You're not going to be able to conquer an entire world with just like the small amount of resources designed to build a small starter colony on a planet. Its possibly more likely that an "alien invasion" looks like something more akin to Europeans landing at Jamestown and then getting wiped out by natives with far less tech and the environment within a matter of years.
Swarely
Anyone ever watch "Falling Skies"? I started it back in the day, but then we cancelled cable. I don't remember if it was any good or not.
NoahAg
shalackin said:

Mars Attacks

All time best alien invasion movie.
Let's go, Brandon!
bobinator
AG
It'd have to be a situation where the aliens are on a time crunch so they're undersupplied or something. That or we're the thing they're after for some reason and they can't just kill us all.

Like in The Expanse, if the aliens had any time at all and just wanted to wipe us out they could just hurl rocks at us from space and do the job pretty cheaply.
BenFiasco14
AG
Battlestar Galactica
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
TCTTS
AG
JJxvi said:

An alien invasion is almost certainly going to be an asymmetric conflict one way or the other, but I don't believe that "we're ****ed" is the only outcome. It just as easily could go the other way with the aliens hopelessly outmatched.

In a case where, an alien civilization has the resources to send a huge battlefleet across interstellar distances, and those ships are fully supplied and able to produce an unlimited amount of soldies and fighting material and energy as if by magic...then yeah we are ****ed.

However, what if an "alien invasion" is something more realistic like sending a colony ship of humans to a star less than a light year away at relativistic speeds and then when they get there there is a stone age civilization already there. You're not going to be able to conquer an entire world with just like the small amount of resources designed to build a small starter colony on a planet. Its possibly more likely that an "alien invasion" looks like something more akin to Europeans landing at Jamestown and then getting wiped out by natives with far less tech and the environment within a matter of years.

We need to let go of the idea of a ship - or fleets of ships - physically traveling light years, as if space can only be traversed no different than a massive ocean, and that's the only way these civilizations can reach us. That's such a human way of looking at things, based on our limited history, and our limited understanding of how the universe works. I fully realize how insane I sound when talking about this stuff, but the objects that so many credible military pilots and personal are seeing/detecting essentially have the ability to seemingly blink in and out of existence, are bending spacetime, have a limitless energy source, etc. In other words, distance is likely nothing to these objects, and they very well could be traveling from some unknown origin point by way of methods beyond even, say, wormholes. Where they've cracked quantum entanglement and are able to be anywhere in the universe they want, almost instantaneously, or they've discovered another frequency/dimension of reality we aren't even capable of detecting, which they can pop in and out of, use as a shortcut, etc.

I'm not at all saying you're saying this, and this is somewhat tangential to your post, but it always bugs me when people claim that because the universe is so big, and stars/galaxies are so far apart, no species could ever traverse the cosmos in the ways being described. And sure, according to what we *currently* know about the universe, and the speed of light, as human beings with five incredibly limited senses, and only a couple hundred thousand years into our existence, that's "true." But big picture, we're still embryos in terms of our knowledge of the universe, existence, consciousness, etc.
BenFiasco14
AG
This concept already exists in Star Trek through multiple forms:

Undine/Species 8472; Federation calls them the former and the Borg calls them the latter. A species that literally exists in "fluidic space" which is explored in detail in Voyager.

Terran Empire: the direct mirror universe of our universe flipped 180 degrees. Everyone good is bad and the evil people are good.

In a real life sense, I think the most compelling evidence we have of inter-dimensional beings is Bigfoot. I don't think that's some undiscovered ape. It's a life form from a parallel dimension.

Scrying has been a hush hush art form for centuries and is practiced to this day even in the US if you know where to look. Furthermore, astral projection if done correctly could give you a glimpse into what surrounds us.

Our world is just as mysterious to them as they are to us. Respect and cordiality should always be observed when dealing with spirits or plane hoppers.

I could go on.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
GoAgs92
AG
TCTTS needs to cutback on the edibles.
TCTTS
AG
I don't do drugs, and hardly drink. All posts are completely lucid.
TCTTS
AG
CanyonLakeAgbu said:

Never seen it, but I always assumed that Close Encounters was the standard bearer of realism.

Can't believe I forgot about Close Encounters, but yeah, it's up there with Arrival and Contact.
Robert L. Peters
GoAgs92 said:

I agree with TCTTS. There's absolutely no reason that an extraterrestrial needs to travel by vehicle. A vehicle is something that allows you to travel through space (any space) - and in our perspective that travel is through a 3 dimensional space.

I tend to believe all of the ufo sightings and abductions are government schemes to perpetuate fear of extraterrestrials. I think they are bunk.

Hell, even the term extraterrestrial is reference to "terra" , which is a property of this third dimension. When we perceive the world, we are limited. Like a fish doesn't have the same perspective of water as we do, and water is within our third dimension. How can we possibly comprehend manipulation of time or other higher dimensions?

And this concept goes exactly to my point in my OP. All of our invasion movies are predicated on the concept of the third dimension. What's the ultimate way to destroy a fish? To hunt it down or to take away its water?
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
JJxvi
AG
In that case Im gonna vote for Ghostbusters
GoAgs92
AG
The Green Dragon said:

GoAgs92 said:

I agree with TCTTS. There's absolutely no reason that an extraterrestrial needs to travel by vehicle. A vehicle is something that allows you to travel through space (any space) - and in our perspective that travel is through a 3 dimensional space.

I tend to believe all of the ufo sightings and abductions are government schemes to perpetuate fear of extraterrestrials. I think they are bunk.

Hell, even the term extraterrestrial is reference to "terra" , which is a property of this third dimension. When we perceive the world, we are limited. Like a fish doesn't have the same perspective of water as we do, and water is within our third dimension. How can we possibly comprehend manipulation of time or other higher dimensions?

And this concept goes exactly to my point in my OP. All of our invasion movies are predicated on the concept of the third dimension. What's the ultimate way to destroy a fish? To hunt it down or to take away its water?
If Aliens don't travel in vehicles…what are the UFOs that get reported, they sure look like vehicles. That would just prove that UFOs are man made and not alien at all, which is actually the truth of the matter.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.