Are any alien invasion movies realistic?

6,089 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by schmendeler
Robert L. Peters
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If an alien species has harnessed the energy to travel across galaxies and come to our planet, would it even be possible to fight them? Not to mention that such a species would be so advanced and in touch with their consciousness, would they even care to conquer us? Such a species could wipe us out with their minds alone.

This is my largest suspension of disbelief.

What you think guey?

With this in mind, what is the most realistic movie depiction of such an event?
hurleyag
AG
War of the Worlds
CrottyKid
AG
District 9
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Dreamwork's 2009 movie Monsters vs Aliens is based on true events
The Porkchop Express
AG
ALthough they get pretty ridiculous after a while, Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series of books in the 1990s depicts an alternate history where aliens show up to conquer earth right in the middle of World War II, but their knowledge of Earth's tech level is based on a probe they sent out in the 12th century. They invade anyway, but their technology is only slightly past our own in many regards, and so many countries are in the mix of the global conflict already, it's a pretty back-and-forth campaign.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
jokershady
AG
Contact
Robert L. Peters
Other than contact (which wasn't an invasion movie) are all nonsense
Carlo4
AG
07ag
AG
Expanse
https://ts.la/eric59704
cbr
AG
I guess we wont know till we know…

However, think of it this way;

The difference between being 30 and 40 years old pretty well defines who wins any physical competition at an elite level.

70 spaniards with iron spears and helmets, a dog or two, maybe a few primitive firearms, and a couple of horses was enough to conquer a million people relying on stone weapons.

So i'm thinking if someone could actually just make it here from mars, we'd be done in 72 hours, much less another star.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Arrival and Contact are the only two that are even remotely "realistic." And that's mostly because there's no actual fighting/invading. Otherwise, we stand absolutely no chance/would be wiped off the face of the earth in a matter of days if not hours. Hell, they'd also have the ability to just make us do it ourselves.
AliasMan02
AG
A great equalizer might be humanity's penchant for violence and destruction. No way to know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if we're at the top end of the curve on that one. Could make us hard to every really fully conquer, with Earth being like the Afghanistan of the cosmos.
TCTTS
AG
(All that said, "aliens" are already here, they're not *just* interstellar/extraterrestrial but also interdimensional/ultraterrestrial, and I'll bet anyone $1000 we have disclosure of this fact, be it from our own government or a private entity, by 2030 at the latest.)
AliasMan02
AG
NASA and the military seem to have been slowly prepping us for that news for a few years now.
TCTTS
AG
Congress literally passed a bill in December requiring all branches of the military + all major defense organizations to submit a coordinated annual report on the hundreds of UAP sightings/encounters military pilots and personal are experiencing each year. There are also "whistleblower protections" that are part of the bill, protecting black budget whistleblowers involved in "crash retrieval" programs and the like from prosecution (for breaking their NDAs) if they come forward and testify. Congress has heard a ton of testimony behind the scenes already, the past couple of years, and has seen a lot of stuff the public hasn't (pilot footage, radar info, etc) that has them pretty spooked, apparently. So much so they passed an extensive, 28-page bill a month ago devoted solely to getting to the bottom of this mess.

For the record, I don't believe a "cover up" is anything the President is participating in, or even our government, officially. It's a very, very tiny percentage of Pentagon officials who even have access to the data. This isn't The X-Files, and we're not in league with aliens or anything like that. But a small contingent is sitting on a mountain of data/evidence that unequivocally proves we're not alone, and Congress is trying hard to get at that data/evidence.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Paging spyderman

Paging mckelvey's curse
The Porkchop Express
AG
Even though the Los Angeles squadron got its asses kicked by the aliens, there have been few more fist-pump movie moments in my life time than seeing our F-18s in a massive formation heading right towards those filthy planet-invaders.

Eliminatus
AG
Suffer not the xenos to live!!!

jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

Arrival and Contact are the only two that are even remotely "realistic." And that's mostly because there's no actual fighting/invading. Otherwise, we stand absolutely no chance/would be wiped off the face of the earth in a matter of days if not hours. Hell, they'd also have the ability to just make us do it ourselves.

There's a great twilight zone episode about just that
taxpreparer
AG
jokershady said:

TCTTS said:

There's a great twilight zone episode about just that

Yes, Monsters on Elm Street, or something similar.
Based Hiker
Never seen it, but I always assumed that Close Encounters was the standard bearer of realism.
Based Hiker
TCTTS said:

Congress literally passed a bill in December requiring all branches of the military + all major defense organizations to submit a coordinated annual report on the hundreds of UAP sightings/encounters military pilots and personal are experiencing each year. There are also "whistleblower protections" that are part of the bill, protecting black budget whistleblowers involved in "crash retrieval" programs and the like from prosecution (for breaking their NDAs) if they come forward and testify. Congress has heard a ton of testimony behind the scenes already, the past couple of years, and has seen a lot of stuff the public hasn't (pilot footage, radar info, etc) that has them pretty spooked, apparently. So much so they passed an extensive, 28-page bill a month ago devoted solely to getting to the bottom of this mess.

For the record, I don't believe a "cover up" is anything the President is participating in, or even our government, officially. It's a very, very tiny percentage of Pentagon officials who even have access to the data. This isn't The X-Files, and we're not in league with aliens or anything like that. But a small contingent is sitting on a mountain of data/evidence that unequivocally proves we're not alone, and Congress is trying hard to get at that data/evidence.

Holy crap!!! I did not see this as a Spyderman sock!!!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

You do know that Congress is filled with largely incompetent, worthless people who somehow find themselves wealthy after a short time there while they pass all kinds of crap that often is not worth the paper it is printed on?

Now having said that, I for one absolutely believe that we are not alone (fun how I work in an alien incursion movie's tag line there) in this universe. God creates the universe with all its galaxies and then just puts life on one tiny planet way out on the edge of one galaxy? I don't buy that for a second.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Based on the politicians I have encountered in close to half a century on Earth, I'm pretty sure we would shoot first with everything we had if aliens suddenly showed up.
Rudyjax
AG
They would definitely need faster than light travel. Some way of bending space or going into another dimension.

If they can solve that, they would technologically way ahead of us and there's no way we could prevent them from causing harm .

That being said, humans are crafty mother****ers and we'd survive and engage guerilla warfare.

Ag Since 83
AG
Plan 9 from Outer Space
jeffk
AG
Oblivion
BCG Disciple
AG
There are few as realistic as this classic.

MSFC Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

(All that said, "aliens" are already here, they're not *just* interstellar/extraterrestrial but also interdimensional/ultraterrestrial, and I'll bet anyone $1000 we have disclosure of this fact, be it from our own government or a private entity, by 2030 at the latest.)
I've always theorized that Redstone is an alien
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
My question is why? Why would they destroy us? There is nothing really unique about our planet. If aliens have the technology to come visit us, they have the technology to get whatever they need from any of the thousands of planets they drove by on their way to us. Water is what is usually spouted as their goal, but they have found evidence of water on mars, and water isn't difficult to make. If something comes to visit us, it will be for the same reason we would visit them, cause it is cool.

And, no way we have government documentation of a visit in the past. Too many leaks and too many hands in the pot. Think about the money. You gonna keep quiet your whole life for 85k a year? Or, you take some evidence, write a book and go on the show and tell tour for a couple years for several million bucks. Maybe a few dedicated government men, but somebody is gonna want to get paid.
Rudyjax
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

My question is why? Why would they destroy us? There is nothing really unique about our planet. If aliens have the technology to come visit us, they have the technology to get whatever they need from any of the thousands of planets they drove by on their way to us. Water is what is usually spouted as their goal, but they have found evidence of water on mars, and water isn't difficult to make. If something comes to visit us, it will be for the same reason we would visit them, cause it is cool.

And, no way we have government documentation of a visit in the past. Too many leaks and too many hands in the pot. Think about the money. You gonna keep quiet your whole life for 85k a year? Or, you take some evidence, write a book and go on the show and tell tour for a couple years for several million bucks. Maybe a few dedicated government men, but somebody is gonna want to get paid.
Have you ever heard of an NDA?

You sign one of those, you're silenced for eternity.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.