*** The Bad Batch Season 2 ***

13,362 Views | 211 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This starts Wednesday, January 4th!!

We binge watched The first season over the Christmas break (with the exception of the first episode that was over an hour) and it was a blast! We had fun watching that first season again and honestly I'm glad we did because there was a lot I had forgotten.

On top of that there were some REALLY good episodes in there…obviously not on par with Andor but still up there with the best of Clone Wars at times.

And surprisingly I didn't find Omega to be annoying on this second go round. And there were a few items I picked up on that either I didn't the first watch through (or had just forgotten about) so I think it was a dang good idea to get caught up on a re-watch before Season 2 debuts and I'd highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't seen an episode since their first season came out.

Really got me excited for this upcoming Season 2.

AliasMan02
AG
Also just finished a rewatch and was glad I did. It has been a minute and I definitely didn't remember much of the details.
jokershady
AG
2 episode premiere just dropped!
CapCityAg89
AG
See y'all after my rewatch (we're 3 in)! We're really looking forward to this!
The Porkchop Express
Really excellent start to the season as an ambitious mission to steal from Count Dooku's fortress on Serenno goes south quickly.

The 'war chest' boxes were straight out of the Kyle Katarn and/or Jango Fett video games, a fun call back. How many times did I jump the wrong way and fall to my death off of one of those?

They did a nice job setting up some real arcs to explore and questions to answer in the dialogue amongst the Bad Batch and Omega, whose voice and look show her subtly older than at the end of the last season, which is a nice touch.

Among those questions being:
1) What does the Bad Batch actually want? Making enough credits to lay low and enjoy life somewhere isn't in their programming, even with mutations. We've rarely even seen them out of uniform.

2) What does Omega's future look like? They are clearly training her up to be a soldier, but keep saying the want a better life for her. At this point they could give her a stack of credits and enroll her in a private school on a safe planet and she'd be fine and gain all the tools for a good life, but that clearly isn't happening.

3) What's next for Crosshair? I liked not seeing him right away. He knows they are alive out there. What does he do now that he is consciously carrying infomation that would be seen as traitorous to the Empire?

4) Not a question, but the end of Episode 2 really shows you a likely path to the clone troopers being phased out. The guy who comes to tell Wilco that he actually did NOT see them is the future bureaucracy of the Empire, covering his own ass, trying to carve himself out a little niche of power, etc. A Clone Commander utterly loyalty to his training and his honor is not going to help you do that, so you need that dude out of your way. In a episode full of stun guns, it was great to watch him shoot to kill.

Guest voices
They should have just called Wanda Sykes character "Wanda Sykes" since it looks exacty like her.
Rhea Pearlman has grown on me as Cid.
Hector Elizondo voice their ally on the ground on Serreno. He was really strong.
AliasMan02
AG
I like that we didn't get Crosshair right away. Lots of questions about his situation and status right now.
redline248
AG
From a "move the story along" aspect, you raise valid points. What do they want? They could easily stay off the empire's radar and not have gone back to Syd after Kamino. It's probably pretty obvious they are going to join some form of the rebellion. Echo is really itching for it

The future with cross hair is wide open, though.
The Porkchop Express
My real hope is that they have a definable arc, and that there are consequences. I don't want this turning into the Star Wars A-Team with a cause a week. That former seems pretty likely given that along the way they wind up on Coruscant and encounter Gungi the Wookie padawan from Clone Wars.

Really want to see what Lama Su is up to on Weyland as well. What a shot that was at the end of Season 1.

Or my uber-nerd wish of having an episode of Ahsoka next year when she bumps back into Rex and says she needs help with a mission, and then you hear a real-life Wrecker announce "The Cavalry has arrived!"

I need to watch that first episode scene with the Bad Batch, Caleb, and Depa Bilaba again. That was slick
FearNoWeevil
AG
3) What's next for Crosshair? I liked not seeing him right away. He knows they are alive out there. What does he do now that he is consciously carrying infomation that would be seen as traitorous to the Empire?

Wilco reports the Bad Batch sighting and Rampart questions it. Did Crosshair report that they died to the Empire, and, does Rampart now know that Crosshair was lying?
redline248
AG
I think the empire thinks cross hair is dead, too
ABATTBQ11
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Really

2) What does Omega's future look like? They are clearly training her up to be a soldier, but keep saying the want a better life for her. At this point they could give her a stack of credits and enroll her in a private school on a safe planet and she'd be fine and gain all the tools for a good life, but that clearly isn't happening.

Good question, but as for the rest...

Training her to be a soldier is really all they know how to do. It's what they were cloned and trained for. They want a better life for her, but I don't think they even know what that looks like because, again, this is all they know.

They COULD ship her off to a private school, but they also want her safe, which means close to them. Remember, she was very important to the kaminoans and the empire. If anyone ever found out who she really was, she'd be screwed.

Pretty sure she somehow ends up with the rebellion and potentially a senator in the new republic one day.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I doubt cross hair would give confirmation they were dead with the potential they they eventually show up on the radar. Probably said he didn't see anything at all.
jokershady
AG
Finished the first episode and sure enough….one of my boys fell asleep during the 2nd so we'll pick it back up tomorrow morning.

Good start though….from what I've seen so far it's seeming like Echo is questioning why they aren't going after the empire more, which makes sense seeing how he was a normal clone at first and not an outcast like 99….

Gotta say it was definitely a smart decision to blast through the first season right before this
AliasMan02
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Really

Good question, but as for the rest...

Training her to be a soldier is really all they know how to do. It's what they were cloned and trained for. They want a better life for her, but I don't think they even know what that looks like because, again, this is all they know.

They COULD ship her off to a private school, but they also want her safe, which means close to them. Remember, she was very important to the kaminoans and the empire. If anyone ever found out who she really was, she'd be screwed.

Pretty sure she somehow ends up with the rebellion and potentially a senator in the new republic one day.

Hunter and Cut discussing in Season 1, Ep 2 is what it will all come back to for Omega, probably this season if I had to guess.

All right, out with it. What's with the girl?

She's a defective clone, like we are.

Not exactly.

What do you mean?

The Kaminoans don't create without a purpose. You all have one, so what's hers?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Did something important happen Dooku's room with the yellow stained glass?
C@LAg
AliasMan02 said:

very likely she will be the first force sensitive clone. and i bet her first "power" shows up this season.
jokershady
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Did something important happen Dooku's room with the yellow stained glass?
during clone wars a lot of stuff went down in that room
AliasMan02
AG
C@LAg said:

AliasMan02 said:

very likely she will be the first force sensitive clone. and i bet her first "power" shows up this season.

I know that's been a lot of speculation and we know the cloning program goes that direction thanks to Mando, but I really don't think they'll go there with Omega.
jokershady
AG
Man I hope not…..give the force a break we've proven we can have great stories without it….

I'm figuring though it's going to boil down to the method in which she was cloned and something needed with her to create pure bloodline clones so the empire can ensure their own force sensitive clones of palpatine or whoever…..
jokershady
AG
It's not enough to make me want to stop watching the show….but man when are they gonna stop stunning people???

I really hope this gets addressed at some point as to why they're doing this and it changes.

Several have mentioned this in the past with the best guess of why they're doing this is because they keep having to fight clones that used to be their brothers and see them as malfunctioning due to the inhibitor chips….but they've never actually addressed it on the show….

I hope they do and at some point see bad batch go ballistic on some storm troopers
kdm_01
AG
Agreed. They don't hesitate to target craft piloted by clones but keep stunning away at other clones.
jeffk
AG
I like how they've all uniquely colorized their armors.
redline248
AG
The stunning thing bugs me, too. Especially after Tech opens up with the heavy repeater and Crusher builds a mini tank canon. Just blastin' and Hunter is all stun stun stun. And I'm pretty sure Omega's bow doesn't have a stun setting.
AliasMan02
AG
Part of the stun thing is just that it's a kid's show and the Batch are heroes. The other is an unstated preference for them not to kill clones if they can help it. But mostly the former.
jokershady
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Part of the stun thing is just that it's a kid's show and the Batch are heroes. The other is an unstated preference for them not to kill clones if they can help it. But mostly the former.
but….this was also a "kids show"

AliasMan02
AG
Agree, but they seem more sensitive about heroes being particularly violent. And that was pre-Disney.
jokershady
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Agree, but they seem more sensitive about heroes being particularly violent. And that was pre-Disney.
pre-Disney is key….forgot about that….

Cause the hero's on that show (and rebels) had their "moments" as well….

Holding out hope they address it at some point this season
AliasMan02
AG
Yeah Anakin force choked Poggle the Lesser in what was a pretty dark scene.
twilly
AG
A very un-Disneylike action in this episode.

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
jokershady
AG
Haven't watched it yet….but woah! 9.3 on IMDB right now.

It'll probably drop a tad (they all usually do from initial reactions on tv shows)…..but still can't wait to see what's up here
The Porkchop Express
Shooting from the hip, I'd call it one of the top 5 episodes ever for Star Wars animation.

Incredibly brilliant use of characters we know and love from Clone Wars turned around so that even mid-episode you have to remind yourself that you're not exactly sure who you're supposed to be rooting for (if anyone).

if Andor had an animated episode, it would have looked like this.

Gotta get back to work, looking forward to really breaking down this episode with you guys later.
redline248
AG
It was a good episode but I wouldn't go so far to call it top 5. I agree with you about the feeling of not knowing who to root for. However, the entire time I wanted to say out loud "f-ck you, Cody," but I was watching with my 7 year old.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Do we know what happens to Cody post Clone Wars?
AliasMan02
AG
So Cody... any chance Crosshair actually killed him and he's not so much AWOL as he is stuffed in a service access somewhere?

I don't think so, but wouldn't put it past Crosshair to start deciding on his own who's loyal enough.
The Porkchop Express
The most brilliant part of the episode for me was that the majority of it could have been "just another Clone Wars episode"

If you took out the names, that easily could have been Cody and his clones going on a mission to rescue a Republic governor who had been captured by Separatists. We see battle droids being wacky, aliens being defiant, and clones kicking butt the way clones do.

Except ... that it's not the Republic, it's the Empire. Cody is a bad guy and he's trying to rescue a worthless Imperial governor from the clutches of an independent government who has told the Empire to GTFO.

If this was the last season of Clone Wars, Crosshair would be a hero for the way he took out almost everything. It was like playing the original Battlefront watching him wipe out battledroids with the sniper rifle. He took out the tank and then made the impossible shot to take out the battle droid coordinator.

Seeing Cody in different armor and trying to hand onto the tenets that have kept him alive all these years was fascinating. And the look on his face when Crosshair suggests that any AWOL clones are just like the Jedi - traitors.

You can bet that a lot of those AWOL clones probably had long discussions about why did the Empire wipe out the Jedi when all they saw of the Jedi was courage and sacrifice and compassion. Hearing that story over and over again must have gotten some of them really thinking WTF are we doing here?

Really bold move to have an episode of the Bad Batch without 1 second of the Bad Batch in it. I love the small filling in the blanks of Crosshair - marooned on Kamino for 32 days. Now a loner, the other clones shunning him, the commander being a D8bag to him. Considering Crosshair was already a dick to the normal clones before Order 66 and he has his inhibitor chip out, you wonder how long he'll stay around the Empire.

But just like the BB, whaat's he going to do? seems like he'd be better off as a bounty hunter than rejoining the Bad Batch. He really just wants to carry out missions and shoot people. The Empire's less-than-moralistic idealism is just going to get in the way of that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.