Lines or jokes you didn't get in a movie

12,475 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Nice beaver" made no sense as a kid.
Let's go, Brandon!
The Dirty Sock
not hedge
"Before zee Germans get here" snatch
MAROON
AG
deadhead aggie said:

the scene in Raising Arizona where Gale and Evelle are robbing the bank......just before they leave, Gale yells, "Anyone found bipedal in five wears his ass for a hat"..........no idea what that means........

it means - if we come back in five minutes and someone is standing up, they are going to catch a beating.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Cliff Booth
AG
They were supposed to get on the ground... or off their feet. Humans have 2 feet, and are therefore bipeds.
Swarely
Trajan88 said:

This is a more of 100% "mis-hearing" ... not getting the lines of dialog in the movie.

In Dumb and Dumber... when they were driving and arguing with each other... thought they were saying "No Quincies" ... what the heck did that mean?

Then someone on Texags years ago clarified... they were saying "No quitsies."

It then made perfect sense. :-)

The "pullover/cardigan" joke went right over my 9 year old head.
Apache
AG
Blazing Saddles, which I have seen probably 100 times.
There is the scene where Mongo (Played by All-Pro Football player Alex Karras who later starred in the 80's show "Webster")
rides into town on a Brahma Bull & then proceeds to wreck the town:

The dude pictured below utters the line: "Mongo! Santamaria!" when he sees him.
I always thought it was kinda funny throwaway line, but no deeper meaning.

Just this year I found out that line was actually a pun, as Mongo Santamaria was a real person... a Cuban band leader who was popular in the 50's & 60's. Mel Brooks was apparently a fan of Mongo Santamaria.

Mongo was also the nickname of t-sip & NFL All-Pro Defensive Lineman Steve McMichael who was later a pro wrestler (Which is where I first heard the name Mongo)

Interestingly, Alex Karras also spent some time as a Pro Wrestler)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongo_Santamar%C3%ADa
MAROON
AG
I think the Santa Maria he is referring to is the Holy Mother...as in he's praying.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
dreyOO
Loved Snatch the first time I saw it. Rewatched it with captions on and loved it even more.
Trajan88
AG
Sloths working at the DMV.

BaileyAg
AG
Not an actual line but i've never been quite sure why HI and Leonard Smalls share the same tattoo in Raising Arizona. What's the significance of that?
Is it to show how HI could have ended up?
No matter, still one of my favorite flicks
GoAgs92
AG
In the movie "let's do it again" Bill Cosby, Bill Cosby, insults a guy by using the phrase, "Sausage Nose…Chittlin Eyes!"

I've never understood the second part of that.
Rudyjax
AG
When I first saw A World According to Garp, I remembered the joke, "Why do basketball players make such bad lovers? Because they dribble before they shoot."

I remembered it and one day a few years later I thought about it and was like, I get it!

gggmann
AG
When I was a kid I loved the film "Top Secret!". There's an scene where they go to a Swedish Bookstore, and you don't realize what's happening until about halfway through the scene. I don't want to spoil it, but it was years later that I read that the point of that scene is the common belief that Swedish sounds like English spoken backwards.

Rudyjax
AG
I had no clue why they did that other than to be funny. Bravo.
Tanya 93
BQ_00 said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Most awesome line that doesn't actually make sense.

I've read up on this previously bc I was curious as well. Apparently it's an old southern idiom meant to state something along the lines of "I'm the right man for the job".

Odd that it is an old Southern saying because thry do not grow in the South.
Apache
AG
Quote:

I think the Santa Maria he is referring to is the Holy Mother...as in he's praying.
You could think of it that way. But if you know Mel Brooks, you know he likes to slip in puns. This was a sly one, not obvious to most folks especially 50-70 years after the heyday of Mongo Santamaria.
hunter2012
AG
Considering I saw this movie when I was about 5, it took me at least 20 years and running across it on TV:

Also the Mother of all WTF scenes that takes forever to get but once you do it's hilarious:

For those that want the joke of the ending spoiled that took me decades to get, THE ENDING IS A COP OUT... literally.
DargelSkout
AG
Good Will Hunting Bar Scene

"And you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life...

One: don't do that.

Two: You dropped 150 grand on......

I never understood the One: Don't do that. Don't do what? Pass off other people's ideas to impress a girl and embarrass some dude? Is that what he meant?
HtownAg92
AG
DargelSkout said:

Good Will Hunting Bar Scene

"And you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life...

One: don't do that.

Two: You dropped 150 grand on......

I never understood the One: Don't do that. Don't do what? Pass off other people's ideas to impress a girl and embarrass some dude? Is that what he meant?
Don't embarrass my friends. He looked back at Chuckie when he was saying it. Like "I wouldn't mess with dudes like us again or going to catch a beating." Like Carmine Scarpaglia did.
Furlock Bones
AG
that's amazing. i haven't watched Top Secret since I was a little kid and don't really remember it. after watching Val Kilmers personal documentary, i have been meaning to rewatch it.
HtownAg92
AG
Furlock Bones said:

that's amazing. i haven't watched Top Secret since I was a little kid and don't really remember it. after watching Val Kilmers personal documentary, i have been meaning to rewatch it.
Top Val Kilmer movies:

1. Real Genius
2. Tombstone
3. Willow
4. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
5. The Saint
6. Heat
7. Top Gun
8. Top Secret
9. Thunderheart
10. The Doors
maroon barchetta
Real Genius is so good!
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I never understood why it was a bad thing to want to eat your cake.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Hincemm
AG
Half Baked.

"I though you said you got her a pearl necklace."

"Obviously, you missed the point of that story, Brian."
Apache
AG
I didn't understand true meaning of the ZZ Top song "Pearl Necklace" until 7th or 8th grade when my older cousin told me what it meant. I felt like such a badass telling my Jr. High friends that fact afterwards lol.
Rudyjax
AG
Apache said:

I didn't understand true meaning of the ZZ Top song "Pearl Necklace" until 7th or 8th grade when my older cousin told me what it meant. I felt like such a badass telling my Jr. High friends that fact afterwards lol.
How would you possibly?
rednecked
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

that's because everyone says it backwards. the actual phrase is, you can't eat your cake and have it too. Said that way, it makes sense.

Rocagnante
AG
hunter2012 said:

For those that want the joke of the ending spoiled that took me decades to get, THE ENDING IS A COP OUT... literally.

Same for me! This is one of my top 3 favorite movies of all time. I've seen it a lot. But it took me 25 years to fully get the ending. Then it just hit me one day. Like my subconscious was working on it in the background that whole time.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Almighty said:

I don't think my 10 year old self got this reference.

Certainly I did not get this joke when I watched the movie.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
rednecked said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

that's because everyone says it backwards. the actual phrase is, you can't eat your cake and have it too. Said that way, it makes sense.

Makes sense.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
HtownAg92
AG
I grew up watching Meatballs, Stripes, Three's Company, etc. so there were a ton of jokes and innuendos that went over my head, but I suspected they were about sex so they were funny.
malenurse
AG
Apache said:

That's BS. Next, you're going to tell me The Who song, "Squeeze Box" is not about a lady playing the accordion.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Apache
AG
Dude I was 12 or 13!
BBRex
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I don't think my 10 year old self got this reference.
This is a place where the missing comma definitely changes the meaning.

And I can't believe I didn't get that ending for "Holy Grail." It just seemed like the sort of nonsensical thing they would do.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.