"I didn't know they played on that song"

6,576 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Agristotle
Matt_ag98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Know Your Enemy said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

double aught said:

Know Your Enemy said:

RealTalk said:

Eddie Van Halen in Michael Jackson's "Beat It".

Who doesn't know that?
Yep, everyone should know that.

There is a little more there though, about Eddie changing the solo up and not knowing if Michael was gonna be plssed or happy about it.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/eddie-van-halen-beat-it-solo-michael-jackson-story/
Had always heard EVH did it on the first take.
The story I've always heard was that he did two takes but I think they ended up going with the first.

I have heard that also, two different solos for the same amount of bars, always wonder what the other solo that wasn't used sounded like???
maroon barchetta
Zombie Jon Snow said:

RealTalk said:

Eddie Van Halen in Michael Jackson's "Beat It".

Everyone knows that.

But little known fact that is Dallas related.... only one time was it played LIVE with Eddie VH doing the solo and I WAS THERE!!!!

1984 on the Jackson's Victory tour they had 3 shows at old Texas Stadium on July 13, 14, and 15.

VH was in town for 3 shows on July 14, 15, and 16 at Reunion Arena. They had played Houston July 10,11,12 but had the 13th off and arrived in Dallas a day ahead of those shows.

Well unknown to everyone they arranged for Eddie to come to the first show and play it live for the only time on July 13. And I was at that show as well as VH on the 15th.

Starts at about 1:16 on this poor quality video.

I think Eddie came in early on that solo! It didn't throw off Michael and the band though.

My cousins were at that show and called me to brag that they saw Eddie. I had seen the 1984 tour two days before so I wasn't too jealous.
Matt_ag98
Another Doug said:

Stevie Nicks wrote "Stand Back" after humming "little red corvette", she told prince about it and he showed up 20 minutes later and played the synths on the track.

I feel like in the 80s almost every major artist has some sort of Prince story like this, and I think every time he asked not to be credited, pretty cool
Matt_ag98
Agristotle said:

Everyone on this thread knows it but you can rock Beatles fans mind by telling them Clapton played lead on "While my guitar gently weeps". I've had them absolutely refuse to believe it until confronted with proof

Also (I know has been mentioned on the board before) if you haven't seen the George Harrison tribute show with the crazy Prince guitar solo of this song you are missing out!
Agristotle
AG
Thanks for posting. I have seen it and it IS fantastic.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.