"I didn't know they played on that song"

6,575 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Agristotle
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just learned today that Flea and Dave Navarro played on Alanis Morissette's You Oughta Know.

What other unknown guest spots are lurking out there? I know Mick Jagger sings background on Carly Simon's You're So Vain and John Lennon is on Fame by David Bowie.
Unemployed
AG
Eddie Van Halen in Michael Jackson's "Beat It".
C@LAg
David Gilmour - Arcadia - The Promise

gggmann
AG
RealTalk said:

Steve Lukather too.
Know Your Enemy
AG
RealTalk said:

Who doesn't know that?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hans Zimmer played synth on Video Killed the Radio Star.
shovel pass
AG
Cheech and Chong's Basketball Jones features, among others, George Harrison, Ronnie Spector, Michelle Phillips, Billy Preston, Carole King, Klaus Voormann, and Jim Keltner.
The Porkchop Express
Kenny G plays soprano saxophone on November Rain.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Stat Monitor Repairman

Duane Allman on slide guitar.
tk for tu juan
Agasaurus Tex
AG

Beach Boys on backup vocals at 2:30.
JCA1
AG
Mickey Raphael (Willie's harmonica player) played the harmonica solo on Motley Crue's Smoking in the Boys Room.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Most everybody I guess will know sting singing on Money for Nothing by Dire Straights but still a fun fact especially the randomness of it actually happening.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
RikkiTikkaTagem said:

Most everybody I guess will know sting singing on Money for Nothing by Dire Straights but still a fun fact especially the randomness of it actually happening.

And it's only on digital recordings.

(The "money for nothing" that sting belts out toward the end of the song)
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
MGS
Garth Brooks did the vocals on all of Chris Gaines' albums.
Big Cat `93
AG
I tried to count all the songs I know of that Michael McDonald sings backup on, but I'm a liberal arts major. I can't count that high.

I'm still amazed that Allison Krauss sings on two songs on the new Def Leppard album.
bluefire579
AG
Mark Knopfler insisted on playing lead guitar as a stipulation for Weird Al parodying "Money for Nothing"

In a similar vein, Tom Petty did guitar and background vocals on Johnny Cash's cover of "Won't Back Down"
Dice
AG
Further along the vein presented by bluefire, Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench of The Heartbreakers played acoustic guitar and keyboards, respectively, on the Johnny Cash "Hurt" recording.
DargelSkout
AG
Ronnie Milsap played piano on Elvis Presley's Kentucky Rain. Then wrote Smokey Mountain Rain to pay homage to Elvis.
Prosperdick
AG
SRV played the guitar riffs in David Bowie's Let's Dance and when you hear the song it's VERY obvious but that didn't stop Bowie from putting on white gloves and pretending he could play it for the music video:

Apparently that ticked off Vaughn and they had a bit of a falling out (just a rumor, not sure if true) but if true I think the white gloves put him over the edge. It's one thing to pretend to play like me but the gloves, COME ON!!!
AggieRob93
AG
Prosperdick said:

SRV played the guitar riffs in David Bowie's Let's Dance and when you hear the song it's VERY obvious but that didn't stop Bowie from putting on white gloves and pretending he could play it for the music video:

Apparently that ticked off Vaughn and they had a bit of a falling out (just a rumor, not sure if true) but if true I think the white gloves put him over the edge. It's one thing to pretend to play like me but the gloves, COME ON!!!
I was about to post the same about SRV. I do think SRV played across the entire Let's Dance LP, not just the song.

If the white glove thing set off SRV, well, it is only a music video, and we all know how weird Bowie was.
Know Your Enemy
AG
SRV was about to go on tour as Bowie's guitarist when he got frustrated and left to go record Texas Flood & be a solo artist. There is a bootleg floating around out there of a full Bowie tour rehearsal with Stevie on guitar.

And TP & The Heartbreakers were basically the backing band for Cash's entire Unchained album.
Big Cat `93
AG
Just remembered: Vinnie Colaiuta played drums on The System Has Failed by Megadeth, proving that he literally can play any style of music.

I heard recently that Kenny Loggins forgot to credit Eddie Money for singing on "I'm Alright" and that Eddie held a grudge about it for quite a while. Loggins had never met him and asked him to sing on it because they were recording in the same studio.
Max Power
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

I just learned today that Flea and Dave Navarro played on Alanis Morissette's You Oughta Know.

What other unknown guest spots are lurking out there? I know Mick Jagger sings background on Carly Simon's You're So Vain and John Lennon is on Fame by David Bowie.
Taylor Hawkins was her drummer back in those days as well.
MGS
You'd know this if you'd seen Some Kind of Monster, but Bob Rock played bass on Metallica's St. Anger.
Anonymous Source
S
Jimmy Page played guitar on Petula Clark's "Downtown".
Gig 'Em
gigemags-99
AG
David Bowie is notorious for stuff like this. I can't believe he didn't catch more flack for stealing music from PDiddy and Vanilla Ice.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Mick Fleetwood and John McVie are the drummer and bassist on Zevon's "Werewolves of London".

A funny one….On The Beach Boys "Vegetables", the dude crunching in the carrot? That's Paul McCartney.
Trajan88
AG
May have been only on Carly Simon's Saturday Night Live musical appearance... Chevy Chase played cowbell on one of her songs. :-)
Trajan88
AG
'Til Tuesday's Aimee Mann on Rush's "Time Stand Still.".

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/flashback-rush-team-with-aimee-mann-for-surreal-time-stand-still-video-193696/
BadMoonRisin
AG
This might not be completely on topic, but I recently learned that the band The Aquabats, a band that Travis Barker was a part of before joining Blink-182 (after touring with them) would eventually create Yo Gabba Gabba -- the kids TV show. The Aquabats were the shows band.
Stat Monitor Repairman

This blew my gd mind when I found out about it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Hendrix was the backing guitarist on Shotgun by Buddy and Stacy.
Hogties
AG
James Taylor's "Carolina in my Mind" had Paul McCartney on bass and George Harrison on guitar and backing vocals. I guess when your label is Apple Records you never know who your session musicians will be.
double aught
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

RealTalk said:

Who doesn't know that?
Yep, everyone should know that.

There is a little more there though, about Eddie changing the solo up and not knowing if Michael was gonna be plssed or happy about it.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/eddie-van-halen-beat-it-solo-michael-jackson-story/
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.