******Glass Onion (Knives Out 2)******

15,937 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by PatAg
cavok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really enjoyed it. I saw it this afternoon and have been thinking about it this evening (during the A&M-LSU game!).

I found myself smiling every time Daniel Craig and/or Ed Norton were on the screen, leaning in trying not to miss a single word. But similar to the original, the entire cast was phenomenal.

As mentioned before, there are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments and one-liners that I'll be quoting for years to come. I'm glad I saw it in the theater and look forward to watching it over and over for all of the things I'm sure I missed on the first viewing.

The obvious question.... better than the first? I don't know how to answer that yet. I liked Glass Onion a lot...but for different reasons.
Prosperdick
AG
cavok said:

Really enjoyed it. I saw it this afternoon and have been thinking about it this evening (during the A&M-LSU game!).

I found myself smiling every time Daniel Craig and/or Ed Norton were on the screen, leaning in trying not to miss a single word. But similar to the original, the entire cast was phenomenal.

As mentioned before, there are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments and one-liners that I'll be quoting for years to come. I'm glad I saw it in the theater and look forward to watching it over and over for all of the things I'm sure I missed on the first viewing.

The obvious question.... better than the first? I don't know how to answer that yet. I liked Glass Onion a lot...but for different reasons.
It is hard to explain or quantify because there are ZERO similarities between the two films aside from Craig. I think Craig is better in Glass Onion but the original Knives Out has a better plot/resolution.

I also think there are better performances in Glass Onion overall compared to the original but again, KO was just so well done and satisfying whereas this one isn't wrapped up as nicely.

I think the main reason is the "****heads" didn't get their comeuppance like the characters in the first film. Only Norton gets it.

Complete Idiot
Saw it in the theater, definitely enjoyed it but not quite the same giddy enjoyment as with the first. I think that is due in part to the fun of going to a whodunit type movie for the first time in a long time when I saw Knives Out, I didn't quite expect the fun and funny romp with a legit whodunit at the core so it was just a really enjoyable experience, going into Glass Onion and I knew more what it would be which is a form of a spoiler.

But it was again fun, with funny moments, and the performances were good. I guess a part of me really missed Ana de Armas.
Sea Speed
AG
TCTTS said:

Honestly, I don't understand it either, and Netflix is the weirdest of the bunch in that regard. Especially considering they spent $450 MILLION for just the *rights* to make the Knives Out sequels. Yet before the premiere this past weekend, word was that Glass Onion would be getting an extremely limited theatrical release, for some insane reason. Then it played like gangbusters on Saturday, to a massive crowd, and people are now hoping that convinces Netflix to go wide with a legit theatrical release, in advance of the streaming release. But like you said, the box office performance of the first movie alone should have already be enough to make its theatrical potential abundantly clear, so who knows…

I also don't understand how Netflix makes money. They make TONS. It seems to me like everyone who will get Netflix in America already has it, although I know that isn't the case. I mean every week there are like 10 new things on the app, some of which seem insanely expensive, but they surely aren't growing fast enough to pay for all of it. I know they are trying to gain subscribers overseas as well, but damn. They make a ton of stuff amd I find it mindblowing that the subscriber base can fund it all. They spend money hand over fist.
Thisguy1
Come out tomorrow on Netflix.

Other than both having the same detective, are the two connected or is it a completely separate movie? I'm thinking about watching Knives Out with my wife tonight since she didn't ever see it.
Prosperdick
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Come out tomorrow on Netflix.

Other than both having the same detective, are the two connected or is it a completely separate movie? I'm thinking about watching Knives Out with my wife tonight since she didn't ever see it.
Doesn't matter the order in which you see it but if I had to do it over again I'd probably watch Glass Onion first as I think y'all will enjoy it more with zero expectations. Knives Out is so good that it can stand on it's own.

Glass Onion has zero references to Knives Out, Craig never mentions anything about KO in GO. He's a world famous detective, that's all you need to know.
LMCane
does Daniel Craig enjoy being a detective more than being James Bond?

it would appear so...
Max Power
AG
Just got done watching and this movie is a lot of fun. I had just as much fun with this one as the original. Several ridiculous cameos that I won't ruin, they added to the experience. Everyone in the cast was being silly, not just Daniel Craig, they had to have had a blast filming it. Highly recommend this one, it's not just standard Netflix programming, it's great.

My favorite part was when Blanc calls out Miles for being an idiot for using both made up words, and actual words, but in the wrong context.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Just one man's opinion but, it was terrible. Nowhere near as a clever whodunnit as the first. Acting and plot lame. Dialogue very lame.
tremble
AG
Wife and I watched today and really enjoyed it.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I was pretty underwhelmed with it, as well. Certainly there are much worse movies out there, but given the high praise, and the original movie, I was expecting something significantly better, which might be the issue.

It was just…fine. It dragged a lot in parts, it felt like it took ages to get to the actual mystery (took almost exactly an hour to get to it). I guess I just don't have the patience to sit through a two and a half hour movie and have them take an entire hour until we figure out what the actual mystery is. This movie felt like it should've been 45 minutes to an hour shorter.

I was also not a huge fan of the ending. she just casually walks up to him with her only proof of her sister's claim to the company and just dares him to try to eat it, ala Always Sunny style? Also, what's to stop him from paying off the people investigating the fire to refrain from mentioning Klear? It just all feels so poorly thought out. We then get some "I am Spartacus" BS at the end from the sh*theads as the comeuppance when we've learned the entire movie that their word is meaningless and will kowtow to the one that holds the power and/or to save themselves. Admitting to everything would destroy most of them with absolutely no benefit to themselves. And why would Whiskey have not immediately come to Helen's side? Miles had no dirt on her, she didn't really care for him, and he had just essentially admitted to killing Duke who she was willing to kill for when she thought Helen had killed him. This movie gets dumber the more you think about it, which is ironic given the 3rd act reveal.

Edit: Another issue I had with the ending: Why would Duke not be questioning who tf this chick pretending to be Cassandra is rather than trying to blackmail Miles? There is no reason for him to come to the immediate assumption that this is her twin sister, so his first reaction would assuredly not be to blackmail.

And another issue: they built up Klear to be this extremely dangerous substance, and all it did was cause a minor explosion? And Blanc and Helen were willing to sacrifice everyone's lives for revenge? Seems kinda off brand for Blanc.

Other issues I had with the ending given the more i think about it, the more absurd this movie gets: there was nothing stupid about Miles plan, it was all pretty well thought out and executed to perfection. Saying switching a drink with pineapple in it is stupid does not make it so. It's actually brilliant and could easily be explained away as an accident. I also have issues with the morality of the ending. Like mentioned before, Blanc and Helen are willing to kill everyone in the house for revenge. Also, in Helen's plea, she begs the sh*theads to lie for her. It seems like Rian kinda wrote himself into a box, and just decided "eff it, let's just go with an empassioned plea to clean everything up." I also really don't get the whole smashing the glassware other than as some sort of hamfisted way of calling back to Miles' disruption speech. That scene just seemed to go on way too long and didn't really seem to serve a purpose.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Watched this last night and we both loved it. We both had a low opinion of the original Knives Out.

Probably should re-watch it.
Take the trash out staff.
An L of an Ag
AG
We watched this last night, and it was really good! Cast was awesome, pace was brisk but measured, and they stuck the landing.
The Milkman
AG
We watched it last night as well. Thought it was just ok and I loved knives out. I felt like there weren't really the twists and turns like knives out had.
Proposition Joe
We watched last night. Enjoyed it. I thought Knives Out was better.

Ending really struggled though.
Prosperdick
AG
Proposition Joe said:

We watched last night. Enjoyed it. I thought Knives Out was better.

Ending really struggled though.
The ending certainly isn't as satisfying as the one in Knives Out that's for sure. There needed to be one more big twist or reveal and it never happened.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Milkman said:

We watched it last night as well. Thought it was just ok and I loved knives out. I felt like there weren't really the twists and turns like knives out had.

Honestly I thought even the first one needed more twists and turns. You pretty much know everything by about the halfway point and the rest of the movie felt like just going through the motions.
safety guy
AG
Saw it last night. It was ok. Too long to get to the point of the movie. Like others said not enough twists.
AgLiving06
It was super predictable but a fun movie.
BadMoonRisin
AG
3 out of 5 stars. Worth a watch. Not great. Ending was borderline bad/obvious
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Just finished watching this with the family and we all thought it was great. I enjoyed it much more than the first Knives Out, but the group was 50/50 on that opinion. I thought the twists and characters were all great fun.

Good luck solving the case!
Thanks and gig'em
Sublette County
AG
Really interesting split in opinions on this one. It seems most people who liked Knives Out wound up disappointed with Glass Onion, but those who didn't care for Knives Out found Glass Onion thoroughly enjoyable.

I'm in the disappointed camp.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Neither movie has been that great imo. They both had a vibe of thinking they're way more clever than they actually are.

Plus, this one took an hour to get to the mystery, and then another 30 minutes of backstory/exposition to catch back up to the present. Just didn't enjoy how that was constructed. And then the last 10 minutes of destroying everything went on forever and was just overkill.

IMO both these movies feel like a writer who wants to cast a bunch of famous actors to deliver some pithy dialogue for a fairly straightforward "mystery" that isn't nearly as clever as it thinks it is.
BadMoonRisin
AG
That's a great description of how I felt; I wish the movie was as clever as the people that created it would have wanted.

The whole scene explaining, with a shot to the back of the throat from a nebulous device in the first act to explain away why these idiots didn't have to wear mask made the entire movie jump the shark in the first 15.

Why even reference "the lockdown" or masking?

History will prove these two actions as completely ******ed.

Was it performative? Yeah, probably. Was it necessary for the story? No.

This movie was OK. Worth watching. Maybe....no..Not good.

Chechov's gun was obvi Mona Lisa and the rest of the story played out predictivly
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I think the first movie was a disappointment for me because, after all the buzz it received, I was expecting a much better mystery.

I recalibrated my expectations for Glass Onion and that was all the difference in the world. It's not a great mystery. It has plot holes. After sleeping on it, the characters are paper thin. (the entirely of each ****head can be described in one sentence apiece). But I wasn't expecting more than any of this and the performances and set design were whimsical and fun.

Some of the complaints here are a little silly, though. Like the person upset that the movie referenced Covid, lockdowns and masks. This was written during Covid by folks who didn't know where the pandemic would be when it came out, so they used the choice of who wore masks and who didn't to give us a little character insight. It's practically the only depth we got on the ****heads. And then they used the magic anti Covid puff gun so nobody would have to wear masks anymore. Silly, sure. But an odd thing to get hung up on.
Thanks and gig'em
Fairview20
AG
Didn't think it was as good as Knives Out but still really enjoyed it. Can't take either movie that seriously and appreciate them for what they are.
bam02
AG
Same as most of y'all… it was a fun movie for the end of a low-key Christmas Day with the family. Glad we didn't have to go to the theater for that, but it was enjoyable enough at home on my couch.

We all loved Knives Out!
Proposition Joe
The "thinking they are more clever than they are" is kind of the point of the genre.

It's not supposed to be a true mystery that you are figuring out along the way. It's more Pink Panther than LA Confidential.

And if you got hung up on the politics of the masks scene then you kind of missed the entire point of the scene.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Lol @ "politics" of the mask scene. It was dumb.
Proposition Joe
They weren't "explaining why they didn't have to wear a mask".

It helped establish and reinforce the different personalities of the characters (willing to take anything as long as they are kept in the life of luxury, that Birdie was an idiot, etc...) and establish key plot devices (that the jacked dude was allergic to pineapple). I mean, you can certainly say it was a lazy plot device... but if you viewed that scene as the shark jumping point in the movie? It's you as the viewer trying to shoe-horn something political or SJW or the like into the movie, not the writer.
BadMoonRisin
AG
It was a cringey scene in a mediocre movie. Not worth arguing about.

Glad you liked it
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Take the movie as you will, doesn't really make it any more entertaining for me.

It's basically on par with mediocre Netflix murder mystery fare, certainly not Best Picture material as some pundits say. IMO.
lethalninja
The first one was better.
oragator
Didn't like it as much as the first one.
My main problem was that I knew who the killer was the second I saw Ed Norton on screen, he plays the baddie in every movie he's in.
I also didn't like that a good chunk of the exposition was backfilled halfway through, made the first hour of trying to piece together some clues a waste of time.
And the whole bathtub scene at the beginning was just dumb.
Plus, in the end it had the same formula ss the first one, which made it easier to suss out.. the rich end up with nothing and the one outsider wins.
Despite all that I liked it, Lots of good dark comedy and twists, just felt it could have been more.
BadMoonRisin
AG
You didnt like James Bond playing Among Us with other old people on skype in the bathtub during "lockdown"?

What's wrong with you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.