******Glass Onion (Knives Out 2)******

15,867 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by PatAg
Albatross Necklace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's get this party started!

AggieArchitect04
AG
Looks like it could be good. Great cast.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bearamedic99
AG
I'm pleased that Jessica Henwick is in this.

She was maybe the best part of Iron Fist.
TCTTS
AG
The first festival screening just ended and reactions are insanely positive...
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
I was underwhelmed by Knives Out, but I think it was partially due to the immense build up for it. The other let down was the fact that we knew the answer to the whodunnit question fairly early and the bulk of the movie was just fallout from that.

I can see turning this sequel movie on at some point given the star power involved, regardless of my opinion of Knives Out.
Prosperdick
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I was underwhelmed by Knives Out, but I think it was partially due to the immense build up for it. The other let down was the fact that we knew the answer to the whodunnit question fairly early and the bulk of the movie was just fallout from that.

I can see turning this sequel movie on at some point given the star power involved, regardless of my opinion of Knives Out.
Not sure I could disagree more as I thought it was fantastic. I love when genres get subverted and that's exactly what Rian did by revealing the answer early yet there is still a whodunnit that is revealed at the end which leads to one of my favorite exchanges:

Blanc: Now with the entire solution in my field of view, the arc of this case is a tragedy of errors. And Marta, it will not be easy to hear. But there is at least one truly guilty party behind it all, guilty in the true sense of acting with malice, and committing a heinous crime with selfish intent.
(calls out) Trooper Wagner.
Marta (stunned): Trooper Wagner?
Blanc: (squints at her) No.

ETA the best sentence in the entire film: What were the overheard words by the Nazi child masturbating in the bathroom?

That's some David Milch stuff right there.
Gigem314
AG
This looks awesome. What a cast!

ABATTBQ11
AG
REALLY excited for this
Quinn
AG
Is there a release date for this?
TCTTS
AG
On Netflix December 23rd. Still waiting to hear when it'll hit theaters prior, though, and if it'll be a wide or limited release.
canadiaggie
AG
Janelle Monae
Albatross Necklace
TCTTS said:

On Netflix December 23rd. Still waiting to hear when it'll hit theaters prior, though, and if it'll be a wide or limited release.

The first one made $311M in theaters on a budget of $40M. That's nearly 8x return on investment. Unless the reviews are very misleading, I would expect the sequel to do even better.

I dont fully understand how streaming services fiscal strategy. Can they really make $270M+ off a streaming only release?

TCTTS
AG
Honestly, I don't understand it either, and Netflix is the weirdest of the bunch in that regard. Especially considering they spent $450 MILLION for just the *rights* to make the Knives Out sequels. Yet before the premiere this past weekend, word was that Glass Onion would be getting an extremely limited theatrical release, for some insane reason. Then it played like gangbusters on Saturday, to a massive crowd, and people are now hoping that convinces Netflix to go wide with a legit theatrical release, in advance of the streaming release. But like you said, the box office performance of the first movie alone should have already be enough to make its theatrical potential abundantly clear, so who knows…
GoAgs92
AG
Knives Out was great, I doubt the new one is as good because that would be virtually impossible, I don't care how many glowing tweets TCTTS posts. I don't know who those schlubs are or care what they think, some seem like paid shills.

If they said, it's almost as great as the original, that I could believe but all the gushing from several saying it's better is Hyperbole at best.

Will definitely watch this one, either in the theatre or not though.

PlanoAggie
AG
Looks fun!! I hope it goes to the Big Screen!!
Prosperdick
AG
TCTTS said:

Honestly, I don't understand it either, and Netflix is the weirdest of the bunch in that regard. Especially considering they spent $450 MILLION for just the *rights* to make the Knives Out sequels. Yet before the premiere this past weekend, word was that Glass Onion would be getting an extremely limited theatrical release, for some insane reason. Then it played like gangbusters on Saturday, to a massive crowd, and people are now hoping that convinces Netflix to go wide with a legit theatrical release, in advance of the streaming release. But like you said, the box office performance of the first movie alone should have already be enough to make its theatrical potential abundantly clear, so who knows…
The only thing that makes sense is if they plan to make at least 4 or 5 more of these (I have no idea how many Craig is committed to but Knives Out 3 is slated for 2024 according to IMDB). If Glass Onion is wildly successful, especially with a theatrical release, I suppose Netflix believes they can recoup their cost by the 4th or 5th film.

What's great about murder mysteries is the cast can continue to change to keep things fresh although that didn't stop the Agatha Christie movies from eventually dying out in the 80's (of course rebooted with Orient Express and Nile).

Also if they make 4 or 5 of them that's some nice inventory for their movie collection. All that to say, you're right, almost half a billion is a LOT of money to bet on Rian.
TCTTS
AG
Prosperdick
AG
TCTTS said:

After watching that trailer this definitely feels like Rian's homage to The Last of Sheila (1973), which Rian has said publicly is his favorite whodunnit mystery (Jamie Lee Curtis' as well). If that's already common knowledge my apologies.

Anyway, I've seen it and it's good but I'm not sure I would even have it in my top 5. It's a bit dated (obviously) and the effects are not that great but some good performances and a really good cast (including a very young Ian McShane).

Apparently Raquel Welch ticked everyone off and James Mason said she was "the most selfish, ill-mannered, inconsiderate actress that I have ever had the displeasure of working with." Ouch, but hey, she's hot, right. I actually thought Dyan Cannon looked better in this film.

It will be interesting if Rian uses some of the same plot devices from that movie. I won't give anything away but if anyone is interested I'm sure it's streaming somewhere.
ABATTBQ11
AG
TCTTS said:

Netflix likely sees this as a balance between theater receipts and attracting subscribers.

Netflix knows that people who subscribe to something tend to stay subscribed because the act of cancelling requires overcoming mental inertia. Their calculus is likely that by keeping the release more exclusive to their platform, they can attract new or return subscribers and keep them on the platform for a more regular revenue stream. If that revenue stream potential is greater than the one time income of a theatrical release, then it makes sense to keep the release limited and drive people to the platform.
TCTTS
AG
November 23

Albatross Necklace
It's only in theaters for one week and due to scheduling issues, I'm likely going to miss it.

That means I'll have to spend a month avoiding spoilers
Prosperdick
AG

New trailer out, can't wait for this one.
walton91
Quote:

No spoilers at all. Got to see this tonight at the Montclair Film Festival and it was a ******* DELIGHT. Rian Johnson continues to demonstrate a knack not only for twisty, crowd pleasing storytelling, but for extracting the maximum amount of fun out of each performer

Prosperdick
AG
Saw it tonight….fantastic! Great set pieces and everyone has great performances especially Norton, Craig and Monae.

I predicted it would be a slight homage to The Last Of Sheila and it was but only in the main plot revolving around a rich guy inviting his friends to solve his "murder."

Highly recommend.
bagger05
AG
Didn't enjoy it as much as the first but thought it was pretty fun.

I didn't find the ending as satisfying as I wanted. Was hoping they'd end up with a smoking gun and get him dead to rights.
Prosperdick
AG
bagger05 said:

Didn't enjoy it as much as the first but thought it was pretty fun.

I didn't find the ending as satisfying as I wanted. Was hoping they'd end up with a smoking gun and get him dead to rights.

It's not quite as good as the first but it's still fun as hell. Craig really feels comfortable now in this role and has some of the best one liners. Crazy to think this is the same dude from Layer Cake, he's come a long way.
terradactylexpress
Man I am conflicted on this. I loved the first one and was really excited until I saw the previews + Dave Bautista. I get this feeling that it's going to be like every other Netflix movie, but it keeps getting good reviews so hopefully I'm wrong
[img]http://www.unicron.us/tf1985/cartoon/dinobots2.jpg[/img]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.