Why Can't Hollywood Leave a Perfectly Good Movie Alone?

4,046 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PatAg
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Scarface (Pacino) is a garbage movie. Had no idea it and 12 Monkeys were remakes. Down the rabbit hole I go....
Let's go, Brandon!
NoahAg
bluefire579 said:

You'd be surprised how many are (or at least based off the same original work). Hell, both Wizard of Oz and Ben Hur had silent versions before the more famous ones were released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_film_remakes
Ok, I'm confused by this wiki page. It says:
Quote:

This is a list of film remakes. Excluded in this list are films that are based on the same source material. For example, the 1962 version of Mutiny on the Bounty is not a remake of the 1935 film; both are based on the novel Mutiny on the Bounty. Reboots are also omitted.
The Mutiny on the Bounty example seems like THE definition of a remake.
Also, remind me the difference between reboot and remake.
Let's go, Brandon!
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
double aught said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ocean's 11 is a top 5 most rewatchable movie.
Well, yeah.
Well played
TMoney2007
AG
85aggie777 said:

TCTTS said:

Sucks, because all previous versions of the movie are erased from existence whenever a remake is made. That, and no one is allowed to enjoy the older versions anymore, while everyone is actively forced by law to watch the new one.

Raw deal all around.
Haha, okay, sarcasm noted!

But, the reboots can kind of ruin the joy of the original. For me, I really loved "Sex in the City." The series and the movies all ended on a high note with the main characters in a good place. I was very disappointed with how its reboot of "And Just Like That" basically blew up that happily ever after feeling, not to mention that they thought it could be a good show without Samantha. I wish now they didn't even go there.
So, don't watch them? This has the added bonus of being the maximum one person can do to get them to stop doing so many remakes...

I would also say it is beneficial to work on not allowing uncontrollable externalities to negatively affect your mental state. For me, its less noble and more that I'm entirely too lazy to put effort into that kind of outrage, however mild it is.
double aught
AG
VW_Bus_Guy said:

double aught said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well, yeah.
Well played
Thank you. My only regret in life is that I couldn't get the gif to embed.
TCTTS
AG
Gigem314 said:

It looks like a fun movie and a good role for Andy Garcia (I will always see some of Terry Benedict from Oceans). Sure, it's a 'wedding' movie, but it has a unique twist.

But call it something different. Don't just copy the name 'Father of The Bride'.

Except that there's now a thread on a college football message board, of all places, where in a group of (mostly) men are talking about a wedding movie/romantic comedy they'd never be talking about otherwise. With any other title, this movie wouldn't at all be on anyone's radar here. Now it is. So calling it anything else would defeat the purpose of trying to make money, which is what movie studios are in the business of doing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
double aught said:

VW_Bus_Guy said:

double aught said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well, yeah.
Well played
Thank you. My only regret in life is that I couldn't get the gif to embed.

Gigem314
AG
TCTTS said:

Gigem314 said:

It looks like a fun movie and a good role for Andy Garcia (I will always see some of Terry Benedict from Oceans). Sure, it's a 'wedding' movie, but it has a unique twist.

But call it something different. Don't just copy the name 'Father of The Bride'.

Except that there's now a thread on a college football message board, of all places, where in a group of (mostly) men are talking about a wedding movie/romantic comedy they'd never be talking about otherwise. With any other title, this movie wouldn't at all be on anyone's radar here. Now it is. So calling it anything else would defeat the purpose of trying to make money, which is what movie studios are in the business of doing.
Yep, marketing 101. People will be drawn to the name. And this is certainly not the only time it's been done to cash in on name recognition for a film. Honestly, if I wasn't a cheapskate (I don't do HBO Max) I'd probably give it a watch because it looks funny. A little more 'Crazy Rich Asians' with the whole ship thing than 'Father of the Bride'. But I get it.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I love how the OP is pissed at the "modern twist" of having Latinos as the main characters.
85aggie777
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

I love how the OP is pissed at the "modern twist" of having Latinos as the main characters.
I said the twist is that they were in Miami. I made no mention of their ethnicity. So, no, I am not "pissed" about that. I am dismayed they are making their relationship as a married couple be on the rocks, though.
AggieKatie2
AG
Just saw that Amazon Prime is making a " A League of Their Own" remake series.

Apparently it will have a focus on people of color and LGBTQ+ issues of the era.
StinkyPinky
AG
One of the worst remakes ever is Martyr. The French Canadian film is a master piece, the American remake is total trash and ruined a great film.
Hey Nav
AG
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles remake with Will Smith is supposed to be in the works.

Classic film. A remake is sacrilege.
oragator
I would bet heavily that if WS is in it, whatever works it is in have been gummed up.
oragator
Many of the best films of the last 20 years have been originals under 100 million budget. The risk isn't zero but it isn't that high compared to a 250 million dollar movie, and it would bring folks like me back to the theaters, because I'm done rewarding Hollywood with my dollars for these consistently uninspired decisions. I think the lest movie I saw in a theater was 1917, which was original in a number of ways. It's not a coincidence that movies like Hidden Figures, 1917, no country for old men,. Arrival etc all did well. Good stories will win at the box office, IP or not,,FX or not. Many folks are waiting for quality movies, those movies oic, up that lent up demand. There is a whole cohort like me who would come back if you gave us something original and worth seeing. I went to 1917, think that was the last one I saw in a theater.
tk for tu juan
How many remakes are for the sole purpose of creating a new copyright and imagery for the work before the previous copyright enters the public domain and some other studio creates an updated version?

Edit: nevermind, copyright lasts for life of the author plus 70 years, or 95 years if written anonymously
https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html
tk for tu juan
Still the best remake ever:

PatAg
AG
We need to start calling remakes covers instead.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.