Lego Thread

27,764 Views | 267 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by ChipFTAC01
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another pandemic-related hobby spending increase is my guess.
ABATTBQ11
AG
torrid said:

Hypothetically speaking if someone had $700 to burn, Titanic or Eiffel Tower?

Titanic. Easy.
Pilmer
AG
I wouldn't call it burning. Leave it in box until absolutely ready to build. If you never do, it will be worth two to three times value in three years. I've held these modulars with intention of building a full train/city layout and they are going for 3-4x what I paid for them.
The Milkman
AG
Problem with the modulars is that getting one of them doesn't do any good. If you get one, you're definitely in it for a whole city. Wish I had the room for that.

I've instead opted for the Technic cars lately. Have the bugatti, both porche, and land rover so far.
jeffk
AG
Just throwing it out there: if any of y'all run across some of the older discontinued Speed Champion sets, let me know please. I've got a few missing from my collection that are pretty tough to find.
AgHawkeye
AG
Pilmer said:

I wouldn't call it burning. Leave it in box until absolutely ready to build. If you never do, it will be worth two to three times value in three years. I've held these modulars with intention of building a full train/city layout and they are going for 3-4x what I paid for them.

My closet is so full of Modular sets!

Just bought the Police Station and the Jazz Club in the last two weeks.

I keep telling my kids "nope, those are for your kids!"
ABATTBQ11
AG
Been messing to build my AT-ST raider for a long time. Now it's discontinued, and I may never open it. Also have a miniature version of the Adidas shoe and the Tatooine homestead that were free gifts with orders. They're both going for $20-$30 each. Also bought the gingerbread house from Christmas a couple of years ago. It's already up 65%.

ETA I also have a second original release Saturn V (21309) still in its shipping box. Been sitting on it for 5 years. That one is for my daughter someday when she's old enough to enjoy it.
Kampfers
AG
Trying to get the first section of the typewriter to have a full range of motion for the key mechanisms is going to give me heart palpitations.
sburg2007
If anyone gets the Blacktron gwp and doesn't care for it, lemme know.
GrayMatter
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Been messing to build my AT-ST raider for a long time. Now it's discontinued, and I may never open it. Also have a miniature version of the Adidas shoe and the Tatooine homestead that were free gifts with orders. They're both going for $20-$30 each. Also bought the gingerbread house from Christmas a couple of years ago. It's already up 65%.

ETA I also have a second original release Saturn V (21309) still in its shipping box. Been sitting on it for 5 years. That one is for my daughter someday when she's old enough to enjoy it.
I'm in a similar situation, I have the Voltron set that has been sitting in my closet.

I have been mulling whether to open the box or not.

ABATTBQ11
AG
I'm gonna go with no and wait until it's like $10k. Then do it and you can say you built a $10k Lego set.

That's what I'm gonna do.
GrayMatter
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I'm gonna go with no and wait until it's like $10k. Then do it and you can say you built a $10k Lego set.

That's what I'm gonna do.
Ha, my 8 year old self thinks you speak blasphemy!

My current self wants to double up and buy the Optimus Prime Lego while it's still out there.
ABATTBQ11
AG
UCS Millennium Falcon is on sale on Amazon. 9% off. Still $770, but $80 off is $80 off...
AliasMan02
AG
That thing is so hot.
sburg2007
BTTF Delorean has been a really fun build. I'm at the point where I have to decide which version I'll finish it off as. I'm thinking the second.
K Bo
AG
Nice! I have this in the queue to build.
jeffk
AG
Latest addition to my Speed Champions collection

sburg2007
I'm not a car guy but, some of the speed champions are really cool in addition to affordable.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I've lucked into starting my collection pretty early so I didn't miss a ton of now-discontinued sets. Also, they've moved away from the really large sets they had in the early runs too, so that helps make it affordable. The movie tie-in sets are a new development (only F&F and Bond's Aston Martin so far), but I hope they continue it.
2girlsdad
FYI - I found a store in Seattle that has 4 more 1989 Batwings in stock! I just ordered one for $240 (after shipping). Not too bad only having a $40 surcharge compared to when they were in stores being that used ones go for that much or more.

Home - Math 'n' Stuff (mathnificent.com)
C@LAg
so do the "Ideas" lego sets they sell on Lego.com ever go on sale or are they just limited run then discontinued.

I want, but do not need, and can wait if they go on sale.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/a-frame-cabin-21338?ef_id=CjwKCAjwiOCgBhAgEiwAjv5whNNhidy3Mg9Gm-8oab2aagqU9ooCR45rBPTHcHlhdra50r5ThMAvQBoCO2EQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!790!3!646044565804!e!!g!!lego%20a-frame%20cabin!19598706630!149360941630&cmp=KAC-INI-GOOGUS-GO-US-EN-RE-PS-BUY-CREATE-IDEAS-SHOP-BP-EX-RN-A-FRAME_CABIN_21338
jeffk
AG
Every once in a while you can find them on clearance at a big box store or an online vendor, but they're mostly just limited runs so the values all tend to go up.
C@LAg
jeffk said:

Every once in a while you can find them on clearance at a big box store or an online vendor, but they're mostly just limited runs so the values all tend to go up.
thanks. that is what I guessed but figured I would ask.
schmendeler
AG
Hoping they do another F1 car and that it's Ferrari this year.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Lego UCS Millennium Falcon is $100 off an Amazon. I pulled the trigger...
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Yes please.

The Milkman
AG
I got the technic Defender this winter. Fun build
aznaggiegirl07
AG
My first dip into Lego…I'm obsessed

jeffk
AG
The botanical sets are incredible. If I hadn't already spent a small fortune on lego cars, I would absolutely fill my girls' room up with those sets.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
jeffk said:

The botanical sets are incredible. If I hadn't already spent a small fortune on lego cars, I would absolutely fill my girls' room up with those sets.
i love flowers, but hate the fact that they die...so this was the alternative....
AgHawkeye
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

My first dip into Lego…I'm obsessed

I have all the flower and plants decorating my work office as well as the globe. I haven't built the bonsai tree or the wildflowers. I was wondering I combine them with the others or give them their own vase. Yours look great!!

Edit to add also appreciate the Rare Breed on the bourbon cart.
jeffk
AG
You can currently buy small sets of flowers for spring time or Easter gifts.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/easter/easter-gifts?icmp=LP-SHH-Tall-NO_Hero_T_Easter_2023_Motion_Key_Visual_NonVIP_LP-OC-NO-36TAQT3I9Y
sburg2007
Lego won't discount them, but once it runs it's "exclusive" shelf life, you may catch it on sale from amazon, target, or wal mart.
sburg2007
May as well throw some pics of my old sets here.

The Milkman
AG
Love the old police sets. So many memories as a kid

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.