Barry Season 3

32,191 Views | 416 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ghost of Bisbee
Fairview20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wikipedia has some decent paragraph long episode summaries from previous seasons if you need to go back and spark your memory.
PatAg
AG
I'd forgotten how good Anthony Carrigan was as Victor Zsasz in Gotham, mainly because what's her face ruined the show.

It makes you appreciate his NoHo Hank performance even more
tk for tu juan
Some GoT fast traveling at the end
2008and1
AG
Ep 2 was fire. Such an intense while also full of great humor episode.
Sports-Ag
AG
Bill Hader this episode!
LawHall88
AG
DeangeloVickers
AG
Every time a new dog went across the screen I laughed harder.

The Yorki was a nice touch
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe it was off the air for too long, but these two episodes haven't really done much for me.

I feel like they really dialed up the absurdism (and some of it is funny, to be fair), but it just felt like too much in this episode. Also, making Barry this insane and unhinged is gonna get old quick. Can't imagine a whole season of this interaction between him and Cousineau.
aTmAg
AG
I can't think of how it ends other than:
1) Barry kills Cousineau (this would be really dark... not sure fans would like it)
2) Cousineau suicides (again dark... fans no like)
3) Cousineau dies some natural way (would be a copout.. again fans not like)

Well.. before I hit post, I thought of another way:

Cousineau does great on this new show and convinces Barry that he is thankful and that he no longer will turn him in. Of course, Barry won't be convinced and Cousineau would secretly work to find proof himself that he can bring to the police to get Barry arrested immediately. He'd go to the police, and they say it's not enough proof, but that they will secretly try to find proof themselves. Probably put a wire on Cousineau to try to get Barry to confess in a discussion, and stuff like that.

I think they could milk 2 seasons out of that.
OldArmy71
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Maybe it was off the air for too long, but these two episodes haven't really done much for me.

I feel like they really dialed up the absurdism (and some of it is funny, to be fair), but it just felt like too much in this episode. Also, making Barry this insane and unhinged is gonna get old quick. Can't imagine a whole season of this interaction between him and Cousineau.
I was going to post the same thought.

As far as the interaction with Sally, Barry has become an incarnation of her abusive ex. She is kowtowing to him just as she did to her ex. That's not at all funny.

It's gotten too dark for me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly. Agreed.
Texas Ag 15
AG
My wife and I watch it together, and after last night's episode she is almost out. I'll probably stay along until the end, but hoping that it doesn't continue too far down this path
TCTTS
AG
Personally, I think the show is as good as ever, and have loved these past two episodes.

For those saying it's gotten "too dark," where did you expect a show about a depressed hitman who kills his acting coach's partner to go? The entire premise of the show has been that Barry increasingly paints himself into a corner, and now we're seeing the repercussions of that.

That said, I honestly don't find it any darker than it's ever been. This is a "dark comedy," and that's exactly what these two episodes have felt like to me. Barry is growing more desperate, sure, but the laughs/tone have still been there.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hader talked about it on the Prestige podcast, but I think it's cause now he's directing his rage at his girlfriend and Gene. Of course it's supposed to make the viewer uncomfortable, but I just don't find the show as enjoyable with that taking up the majority of the runtime.
TCTTS
AG
I can see that. I just can't stand his girlfriend or Gene as human beings (I love them as characters, though), so it doesn't bother me as much. They both deserve a comeuppance, or at least a slap in the face from reality, and I'm fine with Barry being that slap. Will be interesting to see how they keep handling all that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe you will remember better than me, but they also kept talking about Gene being an as**ole.

Was he an as**ole in the first two seasons? I honestly only ever remember liking his character.

Agree on the girlfriend though.

In retrospect I really should've rewatched, I've forgotten way too much.
TCTTS
AG
From what I remember, Gene was always kind of an assh*le. He knew a lot about acting, and warmed to/mentored the actors he thought were "worth it," but he was also high on his own supply. Just kind of arrogant, but then would show humanity from time to time.
aTmAg
AG
Agree with TCTTS. I've been enjoying the season so far.
TCTTS
AG
aTmAg said:

Agree with TCTTS. I've been enjoying the season so far.

aTmAg
AG
Did anybody think that when Gene saw the body of his girlfriend in the back of his trunk that this season would start out happy?

I like that this show isn't like network shows where every episode ends with "that was close!" where nobody ever really finds out the truth, nobody changes, etc. The fact that the walls are closing in on him is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've done the impossible and brought together TC and atm.
aTmAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Which one is you and which one is me?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Based on the interaction, you'd be Ferrel.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Based on the interaction, you'd be Ferrel.
So the immature mama's boy rather than the snobby jackass who makes his family sing?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
GreasenUSA
AG
After 2 episodes, I am still highly interested to see where they take this. It does feel a bit darker with Barry's relationships with Gene and Sally turning south. Every single one of our major characters is in a pretty low spot right now. Curious to see how they bring our characters back to some highs.
Ronnie
AG
I don't feel like Cousineau deserves it. Yes he is a flawed human, and has driven people away, self absorbed actor. But he lost his GF and it broke him. Hard not to empathize.

Sally is self absorbed and disturbed and falling into the old habit of abusive BF with Barry. I don't like that turn. Barry the character is becoming unlikeable. As a hitman before he was funny and quirky, not unhinged. I still like the show, it's still funny, but it is a big hole they're putting the title character in, and I don't see a way out.

The NoHo Hank and Cristobal arc is funny, so I am still in for that. Barry needs to help Hank and Christobal by taking out the Bolivians? I guess he can get back to normal that way...but the Sally/Gene situation needs to be dealt with.
tk for tu juan
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The best scene of the episode was the way-too-long shot of
Noho Hank watching Cristobal leave.
aTmAg
AG
This is why I could never be a comedic writer. I would have never guessed that would have been funny at all. And yet it was. Why? I have no freaking idea.
CoachRTM
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The best scene of the episode was the way-too-long shot of
Noho Hank watching Cristobal leave.

Nah. The dog scene was the best
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Because Anthony Carrigan is hilarious.
aTmAg
AG
I wonder if they wrote that in, or if he just never said cut, and decided it was too funny to not include in the final version.
Ronnie
AG
I liked it, also the episode name is "Limonada" - it was funny watching the kids react to the Bolivians.

Lesbians and their dogs.

PAM!

A lot of funny moments, I just want Bill Hader and his humor back. Not a sleepwalking, psychotic, Barry.
LMCane
TCTTS said:

Recap on HBO Max for me as well. Not too long, but helped enough. Rewatched the season two finale a couple weeks ago, which was essential.

But yeah, so awesome to have this show back. The perfect re-acclamation after three years, with such a great ending. Can't wait to see where the Barry/Gene relationship goes now.

Quick question, though. Were Berry and his now-girlfriend dating last season? I totally forgot that, if so. I just remember them acting together and then her getting a bunch of praise after that talent scout performance thing, but I don't remember them actually hooking up/being together.
they were definitely dating in the second season

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.