Barry Season 3

32,024 Views | 416 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ghost of Bisbee
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearamedic99 said:

My god, the acting involved while NoHo Hank is listening to his men get slaughtered. That guy was amazing

Hader's discussion with The Wrap mentioned that was done with him just giving direction to the actor without any audio as a reference to what was going on.

https://www.thewrap.com/barry-season-3-episode-8-bill-hader-interview-recap/

Quote:

But Anthony Carrigan deserves a lot of credit because he is acting and reacting to me talking. He's not hearing anything, really. It's like me going, "All right, now they're coming in, and now the panther's gone." He's just reacting and it's really good.
double aught
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Just looked it up out of curiosity. Joplin Regional Airport has two destinations - Denver and Chicago O'Hare. Until Covid, it also had service to DFW.

So whenever you're sitting around your house in Plano thinking "man, wish I could just hop on a plane and head straight to Joplin, Missouri", know that Covid is what ruined that dream for you.
Cold hard facts.
NukeAg10
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

honestly, the most intelligent and realistic part of the entire show was Sally getting on the plane to Joplin

Are you kidding? There's no way in hell LAX has a direct to Joplin

Hollywood Burbank might, or John Wayne.

Great finale. I loved this season. Still plenty of dark humor, but it has evolved nicely.
The Porkchop Express
tk for tu juan said:

bearamedic99 said:

My god, the acting involved while NoHo Hank is listening to his men get slaughtered. That guy was amazing

Hader's discussion with The Wrap mentioned that was done with him just giving direction to the actor without any audio as a reference to what was going on.

Quote:

But Anthony Carrigan deserves a lot of credit because he is acting and reacting to me talking. He's not hearing anything, really. It's like me going, "All right, now they're coming in, and now the panther's gone." He's just reacting and it's really good.

Wait, they didn't bring a live panther on set to maim a guy so Anthony Carrington could understand his motivation? What cheapskates!
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Duncan Idaho
Seven Costanza said:

Just looked it up out of curiosity. Joplin Regional Airport has two destinations - Denver and Chicago O'Hare. Until Covid, it also had service to DFW.

So whenever you're sitting around your house in Plano thinking "man, wish I could just hop on a plane and head straight to Joplin, Missouri", know that Covid is what ruined that dream for you.

So covid had a silver lining?
PatAg
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

tk for tu juan said:

bearamedic99 said:

Quote:

Wait, they didn't bring a live panther on set to maim a guy so Anthony Carrington could understand his motivation? What cheapskates!

The point is the sounds we hear, and anything involved with the wall, he did not see or get to react to
aTmAg
AG
Trying to think of a scenario where Barry does NOT spend the reset of the series in jail.

So what if there are 20 Barrys under Fuches? And he is the bigger fish than Barry? And then Barry turns states witness against Fuches? Even that would involve jail time for Barry. And Fuches already outed himself in interrogation anyway. So that doesn't seem likely.

What if he gets broken out by army buddies? Then it would turn into a fugitive show and all the other characters would be out the window. So that's a nogo.

What if Hank breaks him out? No way could anybody do that. This isn't Mexico. Barry is not El Chapo. None of the "break out" scenarios make any sense.

Maybe it turns out that Fuches worked for the CIA (and Barry did too without knowing it) or something? Then they pull strings to get them out? Seems like they would have done this LONG before Barry found himself in that house. So that seems unlikely too.

I can't think of any others.
The Porkchop Express
Waiting for HBO to announce the spinoff series; Rise of the Raven
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I think its likely that they do the trial for season 4 and make fun of celebrity trials/true crime followers/etc., kind of like Search Party did.
aTmAg
AG
veryfuller said:

I think its likely that they do the trial for season 4 and make fun of celebrity trials/true crime followers/etc., kind of like Search Party did.
I can't see them pulling a season full of funny/compelling out of that. It's not like OJ or anything.
Quad Dog
AG
Just based on the history of the shots in the show and the way that Hader loves to use LA and real locations as backgrounds. I really don't see them wanting to spend much of next season shooting inside of a prison or a courtroom.
LMCane
aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

The problem is, they caught Barry in the act of attempted murder. He had a gun to daddy Moss' head. Granted, holding a gun to someone's head might not technically be considered attempted murder, but it was pretty obvious to everyone what Barry was about to do.
I'm no lawyer (and I doubt the show will go into these sort of details), but there is no legal certainty that he was going to actually shoot. He could have been attempting robbery, etc. If he shot (even if he missed) then yeah, I think it would be attempted murder.
I actually am a lawyer (not that kind of lawyer)

but I do remember from law school and the Bar Exam you don't need to actually pull the trigger to be convicted of attempted murder..
aTmAg
AG
LMCane said:

aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

The problem is, they caught Barry in the act of attempted murder. He had a gun to daddy Moss' head. Granted, holding a gun to someone's head might not technically be considered attempted murder, but it was pretty obvious to everyone what Barry was about to do.
I'm no lawyer (and I doubt the show will go into these sort of details), but there is no legal certainty that he was going to actually shoot. He could have been attempting robbery, etc. If he shot (even if he missed) then yeah, I think it would be attempted murder.

but I do remember from law school and the Bar Exam you don't need to actually pull the trigger to be convicted of attempted murder..
Isn't there a separate charge for "brandishing a weapon"? If so, then how is that different than attempted murder? If not, then wouldn't every time somebody points a gun at somebody (in anger) be "attempted murder"?
Teddy Perkins
AG
aTmAg said:

LMCane said:

aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

Isn't there a separate charge for "brandishing a weapon"? If so, then how is that different than attempted murder? If not, then wouldn't every time somebody points a gun at somebody (in anger) be "attempted murder"?
mens rea
aTmAg
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

aTmAg said:

LMCane said:

aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

mens rea
So wouldn't Barry claim, "I wasn't going to kill him, just scare him a little."
The Porkchop Express
aTmAg said:

Teddy Perkins said:

aTmAg said:

LMCane said:

aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

mens rea
I'm assuming Fonzie was wearing a wire and they'll use the implied confession that Barry killed the cop as all they need.
Bregxit
AG
aTmAg said:

Teddy Perkins said:

aTmAg said:

LMCane said:

aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

mens rea
Pretending this is in Texas, he'd be charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Of course in Texas he would have just been ventilated by the 15 SWAT officers surrounding him.
aTmAg
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

aTmAg said:

Teddy Perkins said:

aTmAg said:

LMCane said:

aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

mens rea
I'm assuming Fonzie was wearing a wire and they'll use the implied confession that Barry killed the cop as all they need.
I don't remember.. did Barry say anything about that on the sidewalk? I thought he just said "he knows everything" and "he'll take everything away". Or something to that effect.
The Porkchop Express
aTmAg said:

helloimustbegoing said:

aTmAg said:

Teddy Perkins said:

aTmAg said:

LMCane said:

aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

mens rea
I don't remember.. did Barry say anything about that on the sidewalk? I thought he just said "he knows everything" and "he'll take everything away". Or something to that effect.

Gene said something like "He knows you killed Janice, he knows you killed her." and Barry says something like, "Oh ****, I'm going to go talk to him." Not an admission of course, but it certainly would add fuel to the fire.
Complete Idiot
Got through Season 3, episode 7 last night - quite a season.

Just started watching entire series for first time a couple weeks ago, enjoying it and my watching it is based on a Texags recco.
LMCane
aTmAg said:

LMCane said:

aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

The concept that there could be criminal liability for an attempt, even if ultimately unsuccessful, to commit a crime is comparatively recent.

The modern concept of attempt has been said to date from Rex v Scofield (Cald 397), decided in 1784. (Sayre, Criminal Attempts, 41 Harv L Rev 821, 834.) In that case, Lord Mansfield stated that "[t]he intent may make an act, innocent in itself, criminal; nor is the completion of an act, criminal in itself, necessary to constitute criminality. Is it no offence to set fire to a train of gunpowder with intent to burn a house, because by accident, or the interposition of another, the mischief is prevented?" (Cald, at p 400; see, also, Commonwealth v Kennedy, 170 Mass 18 [Holmes, J.].)

The Revised Penal Law now provides that a person is guilty of an attempt to commit a crime when, with intent to commit a crime, he engages in conduct which tends to effect the commission of such crime. (Penal Law, 110.10.)

The revised statute clarified confusion in the former provision which, on its face, seemed to state that an attempt was not punishable as an attempt unless it was unsuccessful. (See Hechtman, Practice Commentaries, McKinney's Cons Laws of NY, Book 39, Penal Law, 110.00, pp 309-310.)
PatAg
AG
scintillating
aTmAg
AG
Yeah.. that made me bored of this topic all of the sudden.
Trucker 96
You said penile
Bregxit
AG
LMCane said:

aTmAg said:

LMCane said:

aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

The concept that there could be criminal liability for an attempt, even if ultimately unsuccessful, to commit a crime is comparatively recent.

The modern concept of attempt has been said to date from Rex v Scofield (Cald 397), decided in 1784. (Sayre, Criminal Attempts, 41 Harv L Rev 821, 834.) In that case, Lord Mansfield stated that "[t]he intent may make an act, innocent in itself, criminal; nor is the completion of an act, criminal in itself, necessary to constitute criminality. Is it no offence to set fire to a train of gunpowder with intent to burn a house, because by accident, or the interposition of another, the mischief is prevented?" (Cald, at p 400; see, also, Commonwealth v Kennedy, 170 Mass 18 [Holmes, J.].)

The Revised Penal Law now provides that a person is guilty of an attempt to commit a crime when, with intent to commit a crime, he engages in conduct which tends to effect the commission of such crime. (Penal Law, 110.10.)

The revised statute clarified confusion in the former provision which, on its face, seemed to state that an attempt was not punishable as an attempt unless it was unsuccessful. (See Hechtman, Practice Commentaries, McKinney's Cons Laws of NY, Book 39, Penal Law, 110.00, pp 309-310.)
Hi Barnes.

https://www.nycourts.gov/reporter/archives/p_dlugash.htm
Complete Idiot
I'm caught up.

It's all very interesting, and unique, and well crafted.

It did get a little disturbing for me, and I'm generally accepting of a whole lot of disturbing stuff.

The Hank scenes with the animal murdering his friends, vomit under the door, blood under the wall - pretty dark. Walking by Cristobal's family photo and seeing his wife truly hurt and trying to reconnect with him (in an awful way, no question) then being killed, pretty dark.

The choking, eye stabbing, and bat mauling scene, pretty dark (even if done interestingly in a soundproof room).

It's quite a journey from how they handled his past, and what he was trying to escape, in season 1 to season 3.

I'll tune in for season 4, but it's hard to imagine how it wouldn't continue to be very dark - but they did have a character say "I know evil, and you're not evil Barry" and perhaps there could be lots of counseling and growth (with punishment) to wrap this up.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The biker thinking she poked him in the eye when she'd actually poked him in the eye via his neck definitely weirded me the F out
Complete Idiot
DannyDuberstein said:

The biker thinking she poked him in the eye when she'd actually poked him in the eye via his neck definitely weirded me the F out
Yeah, kind of hyper realistic touches like that definitely make it disturbing.
PatAg
AG
Complete Idiot said:

DannyDuberstein said:

but also funny for its absurdity due to being realistic
Bregxit
AG
PatAg said:

Complete Idiot said:

DannyDuberstein said:

but also funny for its absurdity due to being realistic
My wife and I thought it was hysterical!
Tobias Funke
AG
Finaaaally got caught up on this series (had to wait a few weeks for… reasons that don't matter).

Loved the season and particularly loved the second to last episode. That motorcycle chase scene was so looney tunes and crazy and wonderfully shot. Last episode was WOAH dark.

This show is fantastic
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Rip Torn. Aggie extraordinaire

Noho Hank is one of the best characters on TV
-Ben There/R.C.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.