*** Better Call Saul - Season 6 ***

379,338 Views | 4308 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aTmAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, it's sucked, but a couple days before, someone in this thread brought up the idea of a trial of some sort, and "Saul" potentially coming back in some or fashion, and once I read that, it almost made too much sense not to happen. So I wasn't super surprised.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Highly disagree. If you wanna argue that the timeline of the story doesn't evoke different emotions I don't know what else to say. I got my girlfriend to watch BCS with me having never watched Breaking Bad. I'm constantly having to explain to her the significance of certain moments. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone.
Conversely, imagine how much more emotionally impactful the following moments become --

• Walt killing Mike
  • Mike not being able to get his money to his granddaughter
  • Hector finally getting his revenge on Gus
  • The re-introduction of Saul
  • And most importantly, watching Better Call Saul and having no sense of "safety" and thinking any character could die at any moment.

It's just a difference experience. The same applies for Star Wars. Release order preserves the "I am your father" twist, BUT in saga order you witness the fall of Anakin to the dark side without knowing his future.
TCTTS
AG
Well said.
Complete Idiot
I agree that for the first time viewer you should watch in the order the show creators released them, they wrote episodes and dialogues in scenes knowing what the public had already seen and how they would consume it.

For someone who has already watched everything and wanted to do a rewatch, then a chronological watching may be an interesting way to do a rewatch.
Rudyjax
AG
TCTTS said:

On a less emotional note, one thing I kept thinking during these final three or four episodes, but especially tonight, is how cool it would be to actually watch the entire franchise in chronological order, either as a virgin or veteran to the world, where you could take *all* the black and white scenes/episodes and watch them together as one long "movie" of sorts at the end. Keep all the other flashbacks where they are - anything with Gus and his history, keep the Breaking Bad flashbacks exactly where they are in the black and white story, etc - but basically go...

- BETTER CALL SAUL - S1-S6 (minus all black and white scenes/episodes)
- BREAKING BAD - S1-S5
- EL CAMINO
- BETTER CALL SALL EPILOGUE - All black and white scenes/episodes edited together (w/ Breaking Bad flashbacks intact)

Then the entire franchise is basically bookended by the Jimmy/Kim story, with an epic crime drama in the middle.

I just think it would be really cool to see something like this offered as an alternate option on Netflix or AMC+ or wherever the franchise ultimately ends up streaming.
My thought would be, Is everyone on this show a damn Benjamin Button??

Tobias Funke
AG
I get where you're coming from, but I feel like this type of project would be aimed at people who have already watched both shows. Just a cool way to rewatch in chronological order.

For a new viewer, I wouldn't recommend watching in any order other than BB > EC > BCS.

Edit- sorry, realized someone two posts above me pretty much said the same thing!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

PatAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

PatAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Jim01 said:

I am in the camp that thinks Better Call Saul walked a fine line and sometimes went over it in terms of pacing. I definitely hit the "Jump 10 Seconds" button a few times in the 6 seasons and during Nippy. Sometimes scenes would drag over for me, but it never was too often or brought the show down overall.
I just don't understand this at all. How ADD are you?
I think if you either don't care about a scene, or aren't invested in it, that's not an unreasonable thing to do.
If you jump forward and something doesnt make sense, you can always go back
Then why are you watching the show if you don't care about it?
One, I don't do it but I understand why someone would.
You can really enjoy a show and not care for certain storylines at all, or care for a certain episode.
It's the same as just sort of zoning out because it's not interesting.
Ah, so it's for the people that need all the 'splosions? Got it.

Your take is dumb here. give it a rest. Not everyone has to be fully emotionally invested in every second of every scene of a 6 year run.

I don't recall skipping anything but there were things I certainly glossed over even multitasking at times. And I had to rewind a few times.

Doesn't lessen the overall impact of the show. And it wasn't always gripping. That's some rear view glorification.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Know Your Enemy said:

PatAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

PatAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Jim01 said:

I am in the camp that thinks Better Call Saul walked a fine line and sometimes went over it in terms of pacing. I definitely hit the "Jump 10 Seconds" button a few times in the 6 seasons and during Nippy. Sometimes scenes would drag over for me, but it never was too often or brought the show down overall.
I just don't understand this at all. How ADD are you?
I think if you either don't care about a scene, or aren't invested in it, that's not an unreasonable thing to do.
If you jump forward and something doesnt make sense, you can always go back
Then why are you watching the show if you don't care about it?
One, I don't do it but I understand why someone would.
You can really enjoy a show and not care for certain storylines at all, or care for a certain episode.
It's the same as just sort of zoning out because it's not interesting.
Ah, so it's for the people that need all the 'splosions? Got it.

Your take is dumb here. give it a rest. Not everyone has to be fully emotionally invested in every second of every scene of a 6 year run.

I don't recall skipping anything but there were things I certainly glossed over even multitasking at times. And I had to rewind a few times.

Doesn't lessen the overall impact of the show. And it wasn't always gripping. That's some rear view glorification.
If you're not paying attention to details you miss a TON in this universe. Maybe that's why some people don't appreciate is as much.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

Highly disagree. If you wanna argue that the timeline of the story doesn't evoke different emotions I don't know what else to say. I got my girlfriend to watch BCS with me having never watched Breaking Bad. I'm constantly having to explain to her the significance of certain moments. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone.
Conversely, imagine how much more emotionally impactful the following moments become --

• Walt killing Mike
  • And most importantly, watching Better Call Saul and having no sense of "safety" and thinking any character could die at any moment.

It's just a difference experience. The same applies for Star Wars. Release order preserves the "I am your father" twist, BUT in saga order you witness the fall of Anakin to the dark side without knowing his future.

everyone knows the correct Star Wars order to watch is Machete Order.

Star Wars (sometimes referred to as Episode IV: A New Hope but I refuse)
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

optional follow-on
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (but only Darth Maul and pod race at most)
Solo
Rogue One
Bird Poo
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Also found it funny that Gene fines himself in the deepest **** of his life and his first phone call in jail is to the Cinnabon store. That'd have been the least of my concerns.
It was the only pure/true job he's ever had. He's loyal to a fault. Kim, his brother, etc.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Also found it funny that Gene fines himself in the deepest **** of his life and his first phone call in jail is to the Cinnabon store. That'd have been the least of my concerns.
Parallel to Gus calling the manager at Pollos after he'd been shot. Keeping up outward appearances with people who aren't in the game is part of the game. In the wise words of Kevin in The Office, "respect the game."

Know Your Enemy
AG
Harry Lime said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

Parallel to Gus calling the manager at Pollos after he'd been shot. Keeping up outward appearances with people who aren't in the game is part of the game. In the wise words of Kevin in The Office, "respect the game."

It's "Is She Hot?" not "Would You Do Her?"
oragator
So what should the next piece be? Because there will be something else Lee done, I don't care what they say.

The rise of Fring?
Jesse in Alaska?
Lalo's rise?
The rise of the Salamanca's?
Quinn
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

I took that to mean that he was still trying to pretend like he wasn't Saul Goodman for the police, but I could be wrong.
Complete Idiot
Quinn said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

I took that to mean that he was still trying to pretend like he wasn't Saul Goodman for the police, but I could be wrong.
I took it either as a kind of joke, to get a chuckle out of the fact he has to deal with Cinnabon as his life unravels, or to show he has decency to let them know. There was no pretending he wasn't Saul at that point.
oragator
Yeah I think he did it because he genuinely seemed to like his coworkers.
It was also a foreshadow of him doing the right thing in the court room. He had started to find his humanity again.
Know Your Enemy
AG
oragator said:

So what should the next piece be? Because there will be something else Lee done, I don't care what they say.

The rise of Fring?
Jesse in Alaska?
Lalo's rise?
The rise of the Salamanca's?
I've long called for the Badger & Skinny Pete spinoff. But seriously, the Gus Fring origination story could be excellent if they got the right actor to play him. Same for Mike as a young cop in Philly. As much as I love Pinkman I'm not sure there's much of a story to tell there. Same with Florida Kim but maybe they could make something out of her working at that legal center. If they go that route I want it to stay in black & white just to piss off a lot of people. Lol.
aTmAg
AG
No more. Don't turn this into Walking Dead.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Well you could always not watch. That would make the threads discussing the show much more enjoyable.
aTmAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Well you could always not watch. That would make the threads discussing the show much more enjoyable.
But much lower quality. I'm one of the few posters worth a damn on this board.
Know Your Enemy
AG
aTmAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

aTmAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

aTmAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

That's the sort of glee my posts provide people.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
walton91 said:

Ghost of Bizbee said:

I think Jimmy gets off scott free

Jimmy gets arrested, represents himself, or has that former prosecutor defend him, and wiggles off the hook. Although full-on courtroom drama is not what I'm anticipating for a series finale

Walton91 NEARLY had the ending figured out!
bigjag19
AG
I was watching it and thinking someone has called this perfectly.

Right up until the conscience.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ghost of Bizbee said:

walton91 said:

Ghost of Bizbee said:

I think Jimmy gets off scott free

Jimmy gets arrested, represents himself, or has that former prosecutor defend him, and wiggles off the hook. Although full-on courtroom drama is not what I'm anticipating for a series finale

Walton91 NEARLY had the ending figured out!
RESPECT!
Ag00Ag
AG
Saul and Gus may be gone, but Bob and Giancarlo arn'r going anywhere!

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No disrespect to Bob or Giancarlo but I have almost negative interest in any AMC series that isn't made by Vince/Peter & Co.
AgGrad99
AG
I might be alone here, but I didnt really care for the last few black & white episodes. Felt a bit unnecessary and shoe-horned in, to me.

But I really liked the finale. It was a perfectly fitting end to the BB/BCS storyline.

One thing that struck me, when Saul mentioned the '16 months' (or whatever it was) when talking to the judge...the writers did such a good job of navigating a short story timeline, while it was revealed to us over 14-15 years.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

• Walt killing Mike

It's just a difference experience. The same applies for Star Wars. Release order preserves the "I am your father" twist, BUT in saga order you should have witnessed witness the fall of Anakin to the dark side without knowing his future.
fify
Know Your Enemy
AG
AgGrad99 said:

I might be alone here, but I didnt really care for the last few black & white episodes. Felt a bit unnecessary and shoe-horned in, to me.
Did you not like them because of the black & white or because of the story?
Bunk Moreland
Anything well done in black and white takes me about 2 minutes to get used to it then I never think about it again.

PatAg
AG
Pretty sure Rob Huebel could play a younger Bob Odenkirk
(he's in a lot of things, but he was the sex addict in The League and is very funny)
AgGrad99
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

AgGrad99 said:

The story.

I didnt mind the black and white at all.

OldShadeOfBlue
AG
TCTTS said:

But those moments don't *have* to be significant. You're making them significant by choosing to stop and explain them. Otherwise, it's all just "story" that's paid off once you get to Breaking Bad.
Imagine seeing Anakin get his helmet and taking his first breathes as Darth Vader, but you've never seen Darth Vader before. Does that really sound like a good option?

What you're suggesting would completely change the intended feel of the show. These things don't pay off when you get to Breaking Bad. They pay off because you already watched Breaking Bad and you know what's to come. That's why it was written the way it was. It would kill the flow of the story.

You're basically saying watch 6 seasons of Saul, Mike, and Gus, take a break from them for 2 or 3 seasons of Breaking Bad until they're re- introduced. Finish out Walt's story from his point of view, then another two or three hours from Saul's point of view. Oh, and then Kim's back after 6 seasons off. It would take you 12 seasons and a movie just to wrap up Saul's arc. Maybe an interesting way to watch it a second or third time through, but not how the writers intended and a lot of moments just wouldn't have their impact.
OSOB
Know Your Enemy
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

AgGrad99 said:

The story.

I didnt mind the black and white at all.
Fair enough but without them Jimmy/Saul/Gene never gets caught and there is no ending.
First Page Last Page
Page 116 of 124

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.