*** Better Call Saul - Season 6 ***

379,504 Views | 4308 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aTmAg
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I disagree that Jimmy created Kim. I think they created each other.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I will say that they are some of the best written characters ever and I love that this is a debate because I guarantee they intended it this way.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

As for the episode itself, I thought it was incredible. I honestly didn't think they would let Jimmy/Gene go full Evil Saul. I thought surely he'd get his comeuppance, yes, but that Jimmy would eventually find his humanity again, even if in bittersweet fashion. Yet, now I can't imagine it going any other way than the cautionary tale he's become. In fact, something about that scene with Carol Burnett's character in the kitchen, as Jimmy slowly approached with the phone cord, felt almost instantly iconic, like some infamous villain out of a Coen Brothers movie from the '90s. It was just so incredibly perfect and so incredibly tense, and then, when it was all over, it hit me that KIM was the flawed hero all along. Jimmy was merely the devil on her shoulder who she let get the best of her, and this was a show about KIM eventually doing the right thing, not Jimmy. The guilt she felt, what she did to come clean… Jimmy will never do those things, and that's the point.

Maybe so, but personally Kim's behavior has rubbed me the wrong way this past episode and I kind of understand Jimmy's perspective. Kim pushed him into their final con, suddenly has a come to Jesus moment years later and decides to come clean, throwing Jimmy under the bus too, and tries to guilt him into turning himself in.

IMO, just because she has seen the error of their ways doesn't give her the right to rat. IMHO.

Agreed. And Kim we know is not enjoying her life.

Maybe Jimmy isn't exactly either but it is on his terms.

But again he did not push her into anything. In fact at several points where the con could have derailed and Jimmy was ready to drop it, it was Kim that had the breakthrough idea to keep them going or ran around like a chicken with her head cut off to salvage it when Jimmy told her to go do the right thing.

But certainly Gene seemed to dive in the deep end here on his own after the Kim conversation and you cannot fully blame that on her. A lot of my opinion is going to depend on the ending. He could be redeemed or he could go full measure.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep. Agreed.

If anything I think Kim leaving Jimmy directly led to Saul.
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

Ghost of Bizbee said:

Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

So is TCTTSSCTSX buried with Lalo and Howard now?

Going on a week now

I bet he caught a month

GD it
Belton Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yep. Agreed.

The game got changed up when Howard was murdered in front of them. Regardless of who pushed who to go forward with the plot against Howard, it was Jimmy that brought Lalo into the equation and Jimmy's reaction to the murder that drove Kim away.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I can buy that.

I guess I don't get why anyone would be mad at Kim for doing what she did this last episode, though.

Leaving Jimmy in episode 9 was the right thing to do.

Turning herself herself in, so to speak, in episode 12 was also the right thing to do.

So what if the former was the final straw that broke the camel's back, re: Jimmy going full Saul?

And so what if Kim wanting Jimmy to turn himself in as well pissed him off/puts him in even more trouble?

Kim and Jimmy being together was untenable. It literally led to the murder of an innocent man. In return, someone had to kill their relationship, and it was Kim who had the balls to do it. Sure, they fed off and may have even created each other, but in no way can I be upset with Kim for ending their relationship and ultimately coming clean. Also, Jimmy is a grown ass man. His decisions are ultimately his own.
TCTTS
AG
Belton Ag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yep. Agreed.

The game got changed up when Howard was murdered in front of them. Regardless of who pushed who to go forward with the plot against Howard, it was Jimmy that brought Lalo into the equation and Jimmy's reaction to the murder that drove Kim away.

Bingo.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I just gotta say, when this show is over, it's gonna hurt really bad. But little by little, it's going to hurt a little less until we eventually get through a day where we don't think about the fact it's over
TCTTS
Complete Idiot
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I am shocked that you could think that after seeing all the Slippin Jimmy flashbacks and hearing tales told by Chuck or Jimmy himself about Jimmy's past. Whereas with Kim we did see she stole a necklace ONCE as a young kid but that was it as far as ever engaging in scams before meeting Jimmy. As Chuck said, Jimmy simply can't help himself. Kim could help herself, but did have something in her that allowed her to go along if the person she loved was trying to involve her in it - she found it exciting and wanted to keep Jimmy happy.

I agree Kim seemed to be pushing harder with the Howard scam, but Jimmy's objections seemed for show and trying to protect her (not saying he didn't want to do it) while I took her pushing as a response to trying to get Jimmy out of desert PTSD and keep him distracted with something he's always liked to do.
TCTTS
AG
Great points.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I just gotta say, when this show is over, it's gonna hurt really bad. But little by little, it's going to hurt a little less until we eventually get through a day where we don't think about the fact it's over
Well, there are ways of making things go away quicker.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

As for the episode itself, I thought it was incredible. I honestly didn't think they would let Jimmy/Gene go full Evil Saul. I thought surely he'd get his comeuppance, yes, but that Jimmy would eventually find his humanity again, even if in bittersweet fashion. Yet, now I can't imagine it going any other way than the cautionary tale he's become. In fact, something about that scene with Carol Burnett's character in the kitchen, as Jimmy slowly approached with the phone cord, felt almost instantly iconic, like some infamous villain out of a Coen Brothers movie from the '90s. It was just so incredibly perfect and so incredibly tense, and then, when it was all over, it hit me that KIM was the flawed hero all along. Jimmy was merely the devil on her shoulder who she let get the best of her, and this was a show about KIM eventually doing the right thing, not Jimmy. The guilt she felt, what she did to come clean… Jimmy will never do those things, and that's the point.

Maybe so, but personally Kim's behavior has rubbed me the wrong way this past episode and I kind of understand Jimmy's perspective. Kim pushed him into their final con, suddenly has a come to Jesus moment years later and decides to come clean, throwing Jimmy under the bus too, and tries to guilt him into turning himself in.

IMO, just because she has seen the error of their ways doesn't give her the right to rat. IMHO.

I hear you, but I disagree. They both did something horrible, and I don't see why there should honor among thieves in this particular instance. Kim is doing the right thing now, and who cares if Jimmy is now in even more trouble because of it? She owes him nothing. And sure, it was Kim who ultimately pushed Jimmy to go through with their final con, but at that point Kim was the monster that Jimmy created. She doesn't become that version of herself without Jimmy's influence to begin with.
I do think they were toxic for each other, but I think they both pushed each other to become monsterous versions of themselves. it was not a onesided transaction
Whatever life she has created in Florida, that is definitley not who she really is. Its an act.

What I really loved about that phone cord scene, is we don't truly know if he was just going to tie her up or actually strangle her to save himself. I also think the fact that he did let go of her life alert indicates he actually wasnt ready/able to step over that final line of morality.
PatAg
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I am shocked that you could think that after seeing all the Slippin Jimmy flashbacks and hearing tales told by Chuck or Jimmy himself about Jimmy's past. Whereas with Kim we did see she stole a necklace ONCE as a young kid but that was it as far as ever engaging in scams before meeting Jimmy. As Chuck said, Jimmy simply can't help himself. Kim could help herself, but did have something in her that allowed her to go along if the person she loved was trying to involve her in it - she found it exciting and wanted to keep Jimmy happy.

I agree Kim seemed to be pushing harder with the Howard scam, but Jimmy's objections seemed for show and trying to protect her (not saying he didn't want to do it) while I took her pushing as a response to trying to get Jimmy out of desert PTSD and keep him distracted with something he's always liked to do.
Well, that only means they showed us one time she took part in a scam as a kid.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This.

I always figured this was just to show us where Kim started, but I never doubted she basically became her mom in her later adolescence.
Complete Idiot
PatAg said:

Complete Idiot said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

We have what the writers give us.

I don't see how you could hear about scams Jimmy ran on his own parents (embezzling leading to store closure and perhaps dad's death), seeing flashbacks where he runs cons with Marco, knowing WHY he is called Slippin Jimmy (ice scam), hearing about the Chicago sunroof, seeing him try to scam the Kettleman's back (with no Kim influence)

- and then weigh that against one clip of Kim stealing earrings as a 12 year old -

And come up with a balanced scale showing they equally influenced each other. I just don't see that given what the writers have put on the screen.

During their first scam "together", Jimmy forces a reluctant Kim into conning some dude in a bar. He didn't ask her, and put her on the spot, and she seemed uncomfortable initially. However, once she went along she did show a strong skill at improvising lies and she said later it was fun. Jimmy would have run that scam no matter who he was with, or if he was alone, I argue Kim only did that due to liking Jimmy and being put on the spot.

In later episodes he tries to impress Kim by going straight - no scams, taking job at law firm. We see Kim try to impress him by engaging in hijinks. Both doing it out of love for the other, and we see Jimmy could be a good straight lawyer and Kim could be a good con woman. But Jimmy has always been a scammer, as Chuck knew, and tried to be a lawyer in trying to make Chuck respect him. Kim had always tried to shoot past her poor upbringing or working in a mail room and was having great success before Jimmy corrupted her or at least brought out something she could control without his influence.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This.

I always figured this was just to show us where Kim started, but I never doubted she basically became her mom in her later adolescence.
Though she clearly had less of a stomach for it than Jimmy did, in the long run. Which probably is the main point.
I think this last episode almost has to be intense from start to finish, just with how its set up.
Which means it will be a character study, and done in complete silence.
MW03
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

- You wake up every day and it hurts a little less, and then you wake up one day and it doesn't hurt at all. The funny thing is it's almost like you miss that pain.

- You miss the pain?

- Yeah. For the same reason that you miss the Breaking Bad Universe. Because you lived with it for so long.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Kim got off on running those scams. It rustled her jimmies. Once she got a taste of that high she kept chasing it. Now her life is in black and white.
PatAg
AG
Complete Idiot said:

PatAg said:

Complete Idiot said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

We have what the writers give us.

I don't see how you could hear about scams Jimmy ran on his own parents (embezzling leading to store closure and perhaps dad's death), seeing flashbacks where he runs cons with Marco, knowing WHY he is called Slippin Jimmy (ice scam), hearing about the Chicago sunroof, seeing him try to scam the Kettleman's back (with no Kim influence)

- and then weigh that against one clip of Kim stealing earrings as a 12 year old -

And come up with a balanced scale showing they equally influenced each other. I just don't see that given what the writers have put on the screen.

During their first scam "together", Jimmy forces a reluctant Kim into conning some dude in a bar. He didn't ask her, and put her on the spot, and she seemed uncomfortable initially. However, once she went along she did show a strong skill at improvising lies and she said later it was fun. Jimmy would have run that scam no matter who he was with, or if he was alone, I argue Kim only did that due to liking Jimmy and being put on the spot.

In later episodes he tries to impress Kim by going straight - no scams, taking job at law firm. We see Kim try to impress him by engaging in hijinks. Both doing it out of love for the other, and we see Jimmy could be a good straight lawyer and Kim could be a good con woman. But Jimmy has always been a scammer, as Chuck knew, and tried to be a lawyer in trying to make Chuck respect him. Kim had always tried to shoot past her poor upbringing or working in a mail room and was having great success before Jimmy corrupted her or at least brought out something she could control without his influence.
I didn't say you were wrong, Im just saying we havent really seen much of the show from Kim's pov. It's a show about Jimmy/Saul. So from that pov, having an episode that shows her being involved in a scam at a young age and then later in that same episode she is now taking part in scams with Jimmy...could be implied she wasnt entirely inactive between the two.

Or you are completely right, and she always had this part of her inside her, but she had been repressing it until Jimmy drug it out of her.
Buck Turgidson
nm
torrid
AG
I don't think Kim is beyond redemption, and in fact I think confessing the truth of Howard's murder to his widow was her first step along those lines. I had always wondered if there was redemption for Saul, but now I don't think that is possible.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Kim files an affidavit with the DA.

How long before that leaks?

Is there anyone alive that would come after Kim to keep her from testifying as to the facts contained in the affidavit?

Assuming the DA brings the case.

Who is left alive to seek retribution against Kim?

… or Saul for that matter.
Rudyjax
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Kim files an affidavit with the DA.

How long before that leaks?

Is there anyone alive that would come after Kim to keep her from testifying as to the facts contained in the affidavit?

Assuming the DA brings the case.

Who is left alive to seek retribution against Kim?

… or Saul for that matter.

No one cares. They made that pretty clear.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. I'm pretty sure the *plot* of BCS/BB is finally over, and that Monday's finale will be all about Jimmy's personal fate, perhaps with a bit of the Kim story sprinkled in, but only as it pertains to her emotional state.
Complete Idiot
Not a prediction, but I picture the end of Fargo Season 1.
Tobias Funke
AG
Is this an hour episode coming up?
oragator
The finale by the way is an hour and 38 minutes.
So some stuffs going down. It's not the Tour de France ceremonial ride into Paris.
Complete Idiot
36 minutes of AMC promo commercials
Stat Monitor Repairman
Kim might end up under the floor of the meth lab next to Lalo and Howard.

Would Gus have a reason to come after Kim?

What does Kim know that could hurt Gus?

Gus ain't gonna risk the whole operation.

Maybe Mike takes out Kim.

A lot could happen in an hour 38 minutes.
GreasenUSA
AG
That's enough time to squeeze in at least a 30 minute flashback about how the lab was completed.
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
Has that runtime actually been confirmed?
Stat Monitor Repairman

Bill Burr kills Kim.
First Page Last Page
Page 101 of 124

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.