2022 Books Read

26,120 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Agristotle
Capybara
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bonzer103 said:

Instead of how many books people have read, I'm more interested in what the best book you've read over the last year. What is favorite that you would consider a MUST READ? And if you have to think about it, than it doesn't qualify. Who has the full proof recommendation?
Probably Song of Solomon. 2666 is great but kind of brutal to get through. I'm not sure a full proof recommendation exists without knowing your tastes though.
Clavell
AG
Big one was reread of Wheel of Time. Quite different reading in one year vs about 15 years.

1) The Devil's Novice by Ellis Peters
2-4) Sharpe's Revenge/Waterloo/Devil
by Bernard Cornwell (completed series begun in 2021)
5) My Autobiography by Charlie Chaplin
6-7)The Bat/Nemesis by Jo Nesbo
8) To Wake the Giant: A Novel of Pearl Harbor by Jeff Shaara
9) The Haunting of Hill House by Shirlie Jackson
10) The Antiquarian by Julian Sanchez
11- 25) The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan
26) 11/22/63 by Stephen King
27) The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
28) Polar Vortex by Mathew Mather
29) The Eagle's Claw: A Novel of the Battle of Midway by Jeff Shaara
30) Avenue of Mysteries by John Irving
31) The City of Mist: Stories by Carlos Ruiz Zafron
32) The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King
33) The Vineyard of Liberty by James Macgregor Burns

Claude!
Red Sky Morning by Joe Pappalardo, non-fiction about the Texas Rangers in the 1880s, with a specific focus on Ranger Company F and their hunt for the Conner family in Sabine County. Easy read with an interesting story; writing was fine but a little meandering; probably could've benefited from a bit more editing.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What differences did you have on rereading WoT, and that fast?
lurker76
I completed GOLDFINGER yesterday and started two new books.

Expeditionary Force Mavericks: Deathtrap (Book 1) - Craig Alanson
The Mosquito Bowl: A Game of Life and Death in World War II - Buzz Bissinger This is a story about a game of football by Marine Corps troops on Guadalcanal while training for the invasion of Okinawa. Many of the players were former college football stars, and some had played in the NFL as well.
Clavell
AG
I started reading the WOT series about the time the third book came out. Waiting 1-2 years between books I kind of lost many of the individual threads. It was often almost like reading individual books versus a series. Think this is why many describe the middle books as not much happening and side stories. When read all the books in a year it becomes one story as intended where story lines make more sense and individual POVs. Also there are so many characters in this series keeping them straight from book to book was hard reading in a year, but impossible over a couple of decades.
The Dog Lord
AG
Clavell said:

I started reading the WOT series about the time the third book came out. Waiting 1-2 years between books I kind of lost many of the individual threads. It was often almost like reading individual books versus a series. Think this is why many describe the middle books as not much happening and side stories. When read all the books in a year it becomes one story as intended where story lines make more sense and individual POVs. Also there are so many characters in this series keeping them straight from book to book was hard reading in a year, but impossible over a couple of decades.

Read the entire series a few years ago, and I agree it was tough keeping some of the characters straight. There is no way I could've done so if I spread it out.
Waltonloads08
AG
jellycheese said:

Capybara said:

I just started The Passenger (by Cormac), and hopefully it closes out a great year of reading. I didn't read a single bad book for the first time ever in a given year which is remarkable.

Finished both The Passenger and Stella Maris. I really enjoyed them. Stella Maris in particular. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews and I understand why a typical reader might be bored or uninterested in these.

If you have any math, science, or psychology background or have an interest in what lies beyond the explainable, these may be the most thought provoking, mind melting, heart breaking books out there. I finished SM two weeks ago and I'm still reeling.

I enjoyed both as well, but preferred "The Passenger" myself. I almost think it would've been better to read them in reverse order.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Clavell said:

Great insight!

I remember doing a summary style reread on Tor.com prior to the final few books coming out. That was extremely helpful. A writer put down kind of an abridged version but included full parts here or there where important if I remember right. Also had their own chapter by chapter input/discussion points. I believe this still exists. The books are so long that even this reread style took a while!

Would love to reread the entire series one day, but until then I'm back and forth between some non-fiction and Sanderson stuff.
Roll the Bones
AG

I set a goal of 80 books for 2022 but was overly ambitious. I got through 50 but that's about 10-12 fewer than I usually get to. Of course reading 4 Brandon Sanderson novels during the year will slow down your average since they're so long.

You can tell I love military type thrillers.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Lots of A and B. Ever come across a C, or do you either prescreen the books ratings wise or stop reading bad books?
Roll the Bones
AG
Yes, I have rated a few books a C or lower and will occasionally give up on a book. Most of the books I read last year were from authors I was already familiar with so I already knew I like their style.

I think I'm fairly easy to please as well so probably rate higher in general than some others might.
Agristotle
AG
I didn't like Chaos Kind because John Rain was hardly in it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.