2022 Books Read

25,703 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Agristotle
13B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Dead and Breakfast" (Audible): Kate Kingsbury: C
An L of an Ag
AG
Watched the Trash Truck Christmas special with the almost 2 year old grandson, does that count?
Furlock Bones
AG
Ordered a Caliban's Army.
Tanya 93
The Clause of Christmas by Rachel Bloome
DallasTeleAg
Nerds!

It was New Years Eve last night. How are you finishing books so early on New Years Day?
TyHolden
AG
The Bible
The Hustler (Walter Tevis…prequel to The Color of Money)
Dune
13B
I had started it in 2021and finished listening to it while turning up the pasture on New Years day. But yes, I readily admit being a nerd too.
The Dog Lord
AG
The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi in-progress

Chose a shorter series for my "official" 2022 series but may add some others later in the year. Really liked Old Man's War, so I'm hoping this trilogy is good too.
13B
I started a new trilogy also. The Powder Mage Trilogy: Book 1: Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan (pretty good so far).
lurker76
I read that trilogy last year and really enjoyed it. Anyone interested in reading/listening to it, be aware of one very foul-mouthed character that is essential to the plot.
discobrob
AG
Working on red rising #3 and the ruthless elimination of hurry.
Philo B 93
I reread the LotR Trilogy over New Years Eve and New Years Day. It was my second time through them, very good books.

Just kidding. I did read 30 pages of Light of the Jedi yesterday.
GY_AG14
AG
discobrob said:

Working on red rising #3 and the ruthless elimination of hurry.
Red Rising series is fantastic, I hope they nail the TV series
JonSnow
San Fransicko. Highly recommend.
combat wombat™
AG
Go Tell the Bees I am Gone (finished it on the 1st?)
The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson is in progress

(Almost all of my recreational "reading" is Audible these days.)

And daily Bible reading from the Gospels with our kids.
The Dog Lord
AG
The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi
The Consuming Fire by John Scalzi in-progress

Really enjoyed the first book. Not a masterpiece, but after reading the Dune series last year, this was exactly what I was hoping for: an entertaining book like Old Man's War that I burned through in just 3 evenings.

I really liked the concept of the Flow being something natural and not something that humans invented. It allows for the collapse to occur like any other force of nature that changes over time. The digital record of the Emperoxs' thoughts was pretty cool. Seemed like there was a slight hint that it may be more than we realize, but we will have to see how that plays out. I was surprised Nadashe's plans were revealed at the end of book 1. I thought it'd be a major point of book 2. Starting book 2 now.
The Dog Lord
AG
The Consuming Fire by John Scalzi
The Last Emperox by John Scalzi in-progress

Book 2 was great. I loved it so much, it only took two nights to read it. Great action, surprises, and humor. May see if I can stretch out the final book a little longer, but I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't happen.
13B
"The Exiled Fleet: Albion Lost" Book 1(Audible): Richard Fox: A
"The Exiled Fleet: The Long March" Book 2 (Audible): Richard Fox: A
The Dog Lord
AG
The Consuming Fire by John Scalzi
The Last Emperox by John Scalzi
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss in-progress

Great trilogy. I think it could honestly be a great tv series too. It's got political intrigue, interesting concepts, and some great characters. There's enough there to provide a good story while also leaving some room to expand on things if they wished to do so.

The trilogy was decently wrapped up, but there are some threads that could be explored in additional books. I'm hoping he'll write more in this universe, but I haven't seen any comments about plans to do so.

At first I swore I wouldn't do Rothfuss after becoming obsessed with ASoIaF, but my wife keeps begging me to read it. Going to try to think of it as 2 books only if I can.
Engine10
AG
The midnight library - Matt Haig
Expeditionary Force:Fallout - Craig Alanson
The Subtle Art of not Giving a *****- Mark Manson (in progress)

On deck

The Devil's Hand - Jack Carr
The Dark - Jeremy Robinso
Engine10
AG
I love Richard Fox's Ember War series! Hope Albion was good, been wanting to circle back to his stuff.
13B
Regarding Rothfuss, in my opinion, it is pretty much impossible to finish book two and consider it a two book series. Too many loose ends. I was kind of curious how he was going to wrap it all up in just one more book. That being said, I really enjoyed the two main books. The novelette, while providing a couple of good pieces of insight, was really pretty weird due to it being told from the point of view that it was.
13B
I'll have to try out that series, thanks! I still have two more to read/listen of Albion to complete the series. I really enjoy it so far. I think it helps that I am concurrently, physically reading another really good series (Powder Mage Trilogy). There is really no letdown in either which I think helps me to enjoy them better.
MAROON
AG
Just finished A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. Highly recommend this book. I don't often read fiction but this was a great read.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
13B
"The Exiled Fleet: Albion Lost" Book 1(Audible): Richard Fox: A
"The Exiled Fleet: The Long March" Book 2 (Audible): Richard Fox: A
"The Powder Mage Trilogy: Promise of Blood" Book 1: Brian McClellan: A (Really good book, hope 2&3 are as good!)
"Wizard for Hire" Book 1(Audible): Obert Skye: C-
Buzzy

I read Term Limits on the recommendation of scd88, and then read American Assassin, Kill Shot, Transfer of Power, The Third Option, Separation of Power, Executive Power, Memorial Day, Consent To Kill, Act of Treason, Protect and Defend, Extreme Measures, and Pursuit of Honor.

The Last Man is next up.
K Bo
AG
Ballistic (Gray Man book 3) by Mark Greaney.

I'm about 1/4 of the way through book 4, Dead Eye. I'm really enjoying the Gray Man series. I'm not sure I will make it through all 11, though, as the theme becomes quite repetitive, but I like where the current book is headed.
YouBet
AG
Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, Book 2) - Frank Herbert

Didn't think it was great, but it was interesting. Apparently, this was meant to be a bridge book between Dune and Children of Dune. It's relatively short and contained with its scope. In the forward by Herbert's son, he discussed the hate this book got when it was released because it was quite opposite in its depiction of Paul vs in Dune.

I found that interesting and surprised that so many readers back then were surprised by this. Herbert foreshadowed the hell out of this second book and the path Paul might end up on in his original novel. I mean, it's pretty damn obvious how he would end up. A bit puzzled by the reaction from the public back then.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Always looking for new books to read!

It would help if a short description was given re: the subject !!!!!!!!!!!!!
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Buzzy
Check out Vince Flynn, if you enjoy political thrillers and espionage, he's great.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Thanks, Buzzy. Ordered Kill Shot -large print.

Side note - My pet dog was named Buzzy! When I returned from Navy, one day I realized no Buzzy!

Mother confessed my father hit Buzzy when backing out of the garage. They didn't want to tell me

while overseas. Great little dog!
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
discobrob
AG
Red Rising #3- very good. Looking forward to reading #4.

Ruthless Elimination of Hurry- first half of the book is eye opening. Second half is meh. Still worth the read.

Wingfeather Saga #1 - excellent book. Already started the second in the series. It's a kids book, but Peterson is a great storyteller.

In the middle of Peter Leithart's "A House for My Name," Strauch's "Biblical Eldership," and Payne and Marshall's "Trellis and the Vine."
Buzzy

American Assassin is the first book in the series, so it helps if you read that one first. Term Limits was his first book, but is referenced later in the series. He wrote them completely out of order, so some of the books can stand on their own, so if you start with Kill Shot, it doesn't make much of a difference.
GY_AG14
AG
Red rising 4 and 5 are very different, multiple povs but I think take a huge step forward in expanding the universe, really looking forward to the 6th book and reccomend the graphic novels "Sons of Ares" as well
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Buzzy said:

American Assassin is the first book in the series, so it helps if you read that one first. Term Limits was his first book, but is referenced later in the series. He wrote them completely out of order, so some of the books can stand on their own, so if you start with Kill Shot, it doesn't make much of a difference.
ordered- thanks!
BigJim49AustinnowDallas

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.