*** THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS *** (SPOILER THREAD)

10,559 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seeing as this goes live on HBO Max in half an hour...
TCTTS
AG
Looks like they're going with a 3 AM Eastern/Midnight Pacific release for this one instead.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was really be hoping to come in here ready to sing this movie's praises, but honestly, my main feeling right now is, I'm not sure how to feel about it.

I think it might've been TOO weird and out there for me. The meta thing ventured a little too close into parody territory for me.

Plus, a bunch of things just felt off to me. Both the existence and motivations of Smith are entirely unexplained. And I still couldn't tell you what exactly the young Morpheus was.

And they made the joke about needing a new bullet time, so I kept waiting for the "big" game-changing action moment that never came.

And absolutely no elaboration on why Trinity has One powers now.

I'm gonna need to sit with this one for a bit.

(I will say the IMAX Laser image quality is absolutely remarkable though.)
C@LAg
MBAR
AG
I enjoyed it. Obviously the wachoski journey plays heavily into the plot. Definitely understand the meta references.

What a master class in creating a trailer without much of the important scenes.
chjoak
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Both the existence and motivations of Smith are entirely unexplained

And they made the joke about needing a new bullet time, so I kept waiting for the "big" game-changing action moment that never came.

These 3 items basically killed the ending for me. I enjoyed 90% of the movie but feel like something (or several somethings) ended up on the cutting room floor that should not have.
JD Shellnut
AG
I thought the concept and ideas were very cool, but the execution was off. Something just wasn't quite right.
TXAG 05
AG
Just finished watching it. I think I liked it, but not sure. Glad I've seen it, but don't fee any need to see it again.
AggieEP
Huge Matrix fan here, they made a movie but forgot to include a consistent plot with it. Pretty much nothing was explained, and things that were explained were just hand waive style explained.

Beyond everything going on in the original trilogy, it all came down to a war between man and machine. In this one I'm still unsure if the war is still ongoing or not. The humans are still hiding, but the analyst character doesn't seem to be advocating for war on the remaining humans, he just wants control of neo and trinity because somehow their human bodies produce more power than other human bodies???

Just really disappointed in how they did this. It's like they had 5 unrelated good ideas for how to reboot the franchise and instead of picking one and going with it, they made a movie with those 5 unrelated ideas trying to interact with each other.
p_bubel
It pretty much sucked and I had very low expectations.

It absolutely fell flat on its face the second half. It felt like a badly written knock-off.

Almost a parody, like they are making fun of me for liking the first movie.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Pretty sure this is the reason.

In all seriousness, I'm sorry for your mixed bag of emotions on it. We forgive a lot in our favorite properties when they come back around again and there's definitely a sense of emptiness when they can't quite give us what we want, or even what we're willing to accept.

I think I felt very similar to what you're feeling after The Last Jedi. But I've learned to love the best parts of it, hope the same happens to you with this one.
maca1028
This movie was an absolute mess. I never thought they could get worse than revolutions yet "here we are."
I feel like this was 2.5 hours of a movie making fun of itself.
So much potential in the Matrix universe but I really think they should've stopped after the first one.
Maybe a "reboot" in 10 or so years with a different director and cast.
C@LAg
yep. garbage.

way too concerned with its "message"/being meta that it did not try to also be a good movie.

there needs to be rule.

if the franchise is more than 10 years old since the last movie, no more sequels. they fail miserably way more often than succeed
Lathspell
AG
I thought it was entertaining. I agree with the above that there were certain things that didn't make sense there at the end. However, I thought the story they were shooting for, though it wasn't as tight as it could have been, was actually pretty good.

I really liked the whole Trinity heist piece. When they finally broke her free and then pirated her mind back in, that was a pretty cool moment.

No huge desire to see it again, though that's how I feel about 2 and 3.
TCTTS
AG
The Trinity heist stuff was, indeed, cool, and about the only thing that felt like a "real" movie to me.
elfurioso92
AG
I didn't hate it, but it just never really seemed like much was at stake. It felt every bit of the 2.5 hours.
Engine10
AG
Just felt rushed off a cliff after Neo got out and the Trinity storyline took off. This was a mini version of matrix 1-3 all slammed into one, from getting out to mission to machine city. Even snuck a "knuckle up" in there.

I honestly would have been perfectly happy with a Force Awakens style plot paralleling of Matrix 1 and just stopping at the realization of who is the "One" this go around. What a mess.

The callbacks were fun and I actually like Groff as Smith, and NPH was a nice villain in the vein of the Architect.

Who tf are the suits?! The thing that was the baby face at the end of Matrix 3? Eh I don't even care.
TCTTS
AG
I hardly ever get impatient in movie theaters, but I was practically squirming in this one, beyond ready for it end.

And yeah, the stakes were complete gobbledygook. Something about if Neo risked saving Trinity he was risking all of Io as well? Except they literally made no effort to explain that in any way. And then Agent Smith, who was back as Jonathan Groff for no good reason, was suddenly in charge again? And couldn't let Neo save Trinity... because that's what the plot needed? Or something?

And I still have no clue what the dynamic even was between the "bad" machines and the rebel humans.

Just... ugh.

To all of it.
TCTTS
AG
Among the myriad problems this thing has, one minor issue that kept bugging me was that they kept referring to what was clearly footage from the original trilogy movies as "video games." Like, a bunch of characters would be standing around, watching actual movie footage from the original trilogy, saying to Neo something like, "This is the video game you created." Were those supposed to be video game cut scenes or something? Or is the video game so life-like it actually looks like a real movie? I know one of the characters essentially says Neo set out to create a game that was indistinguishable from reality or whatever, but it was still so weird. Why not instead just create some traditional, PS5-level game-play footage as obvious recreations of scenes from the movie, and go that route? It just felt so lazy otherwise, which was emblematic of the entire rest of the movie.
Average Joe
AG
I think I liked it all the way up until the...what were they called... Exiles? After that it seemed like a bunch of half scenes and conflicted plot points.

The original films were so thought provoking, but the only question this one made me ask was "what the hell?"
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

Among the myriad problems this thing has, one minor issue that kept bugging me was that they kept referring to what was clearly footage from the original trilogy movies as "video games." Like, a bunch of characters would be standing around, watching actual movie footage from the original trilogy, saying to Neo something like, "This is the video game you created." Were those supposed to be video game cut scenes or something? Or is the video game so life-like it actually looks like a real movie? I know one of the characters essentially says Neo set out to create a game that was indistinguishable from reality or whatever, but it was still so weird. Why not instead just create some traditional, PS5-level game-play footage as obvious recreations of scenes from the movie, and go that route? It just felt so lazy otherwise, which was emblematic of the entire rest of the movie.
check out the video above. i kind of addresses this at least within the context of the movie.
but no amount of analysis can save this thing.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

The Trinity heist stuff was, indeed, cool, and about the only thing that felt like a "real" movie to me.

100% agree
TCTTS
AG
The scene with the Exiles and the Merovingian was so bad and so cringeworthy. "Smith" showed up and I just had no clue what was going on, and then "Merv" kept ranting, and yeah, that was the moment I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt this thing was a stinker. Then whatever Merv said about "franchise IP" or whatever at the end of that sequence, that was supposed to be funny, landed with an absolute thud in our theater.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I just wish this movie took itself more seriously, which is such a weird feeling to have.
Average Joe
AG
TCTTS said:

The scene with the Exiles and the Merovingian was so bad and so cringeworthy. "Smith" showed up and I just had no clue what was going on, and then "Merv" kept ranting, and yeah, that was the moment I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt this thing was a stinker. Then whatever Merv said about "franchise IP" or whatever at the end of that sequence, that was supposed to be funny, landed with an absolute thud in our theater.

That combined with all of the images and scenes from the original trilogy were just one giant grab at some nostalgia in hopes people would overlook how shallow a lot of this movie was.
TCTTS
AG
But that's what was so weird because the entire theme of the movie was about nostalgia. It's like they kept critiquing nostalgia but then would use it in super lame ways, which felt like they were supposed to be "cool," and I'm sure there's some kind of smart/meta commentary there, but it just didn't work at all.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I just wish this movie took itself more seriously, which is such a weird feeling to have.

Agreed. A lot of the same commentary could have been made - and probably more effectively - in a movie that took itself just a bit more seriously. But as is, none of it landed because it all just felt so weightless and mocking and irreverent.
TCTTS
AG

BoydCrowder13
Maybe I'll finish it tomorrow night. I turned it off about 1/2 way through. The meta ness was too much. Agree that it felt like a parody. Really didn't have the same feel as the originals. Just further sullying the first one at this point.
jr15aggie
AG
Well, I didn't hate it... can't say I fully understand it either. Then again, I didn't fully get the original after my first viewing.

The whole Trinity gaining absolute power with no explanation just reeks of modern "it doesn't always have to be a white male hero" writing. But, the big difference here (as opposed to the latest Terminator movie) is at least Trinity is already a bad ass character so rooting for her is easy / acceptable.

Can't really argue with the criticism I've read so far, but overall it at least was a fun watch. Too many quick cut / hard to watch action sequences is my biggest complaint.
AggieEP
I think, the main plot here with the dynamic between Io and the machine cities, is that Neo is going to restart the war by depriving them of the energy that Trinity makes.

So even though Neo sacrificed himself to the machines for peace at the end of Matrix Revolutions, he's now so selfish that he will risk reigniting war to get Trinity back. Neo is basically the villain in this movie. They try to paint Niobe as some sort of obstructionist, but she's the only non dumbass. Everyone else keeps risking everything for nostalgia, which ultimately is the theme I took away from this movie, DON'T risk it for nostalgia because the results are a stinking pile of crap.

There are a million ways to use the matrix universe for a good movie, and WB can't figure this out at all somehow.

Also I agree that the action scenes sucked, they recreated some scenes from the first movie, but anything original just looked cheesy. And Neo looked like a Jedi doing force pushes for some reason?? He can stop bullets without having to move anything more than his mind, so why all the gesticulation in this one?

Such a freaking mess.
BenFiasco14
AG
Watched it last night but was pretty tired. Felt completely underwhelmed. I'd give it a 4 or 5 out of 10. Maybe somewhat better than Revolutions. Maybe.

Need to rewatch when I'm not so tired maybe. Big Meh.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
TCTTS
AG
AggieEP said:

I think, the main plot here with the dynamic between Io and the machine cities, is that Neo is going to restart the war by depriving them of the energy that Trinity makes.

So even though Neo sacrificed himself to the machines for peace at the end of Matrix Revolutions, he's now so selfish that he will risk reigniting war to get Trinity back. Neo is basically the villain in this movie. They try to paint Niobe as some sort of obstructionist, but she's the only non dumbass. Everyone else keeps risking everything for nostalgia, which ultimately is the theme I took away from this movie, DON'T risk it for nostalgia because the results are a stinking pile of crap.

There are a million ways to use the matrix universe for a good movie, and WB can't figure this out at all somehow.

Also I agree that the action scenes sucked, they recreated some scenes from the first movie, but anything original just looked cheesy. And Neo looked like a Jedi doing force pushes for some reason?? He can stop bullets without having to move anything more than his mind, so why all the gesticulation in this one?

Such a freaking mess.

Re: Io, if there's peace, then why were Niobe/the "rebels" still hiding from the machines? That's what the whole camouflage thing was about, with the holographic walls. That entire thing was just so muddled.

As for Neo going after Trinity, they sure did present their reunion as triumphant in the end, if that was meant to tie into the anti-nostalgia messaging. Again, like Io and the machine/human war dynamics, the thematic elements were all over the place, and seemed to constantly be contradicting each other.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Is it at least better than the independence day sequel?
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, parts of this reminded me of that movie throughout.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.