What's a book and movie adaptation that you love both?

4,287 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggierogue
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

High Fidelity

I need to read the book. I love the movie.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Fight Club and Contact
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
BigC
AG
An L of an Ag said:

I'll also add The 13th Warrior.
Lo there do I see my father,
Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers,
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning,
Lo they do call me, bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Do not worry little brother, there are more.

Best lines to incorporate into table top role-playing from a movie in my opinion.

Movie and book are so different, but so good each. Reminds me of Jurassic Park in that sense, both Michael Criton novels. I often think about how he would probably be regarded as they best author of the late 20th century if not for Steven King. Then I wonder if Steven King will be regarded as the greatest modern author, or possibly just greatest author full stop.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

AustinAg2K said:

Jurassic Park.

You mistyped Sphere.

Sphere is my favorite Crichton book. The Sphere movie sucked.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Would 'Lean on Me' count in this category?
DallasTeleAg
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Do you mean, Stand by Me?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

Do you mean, Stand by Me?
damn. Been a long Saturday.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Atonement immediately comes to mind, kinda weird it hasent been mentioned yet as both the book and adaptation are highly regarded.
PatAg
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

AustinAg2K said:

Jurassic Park.

You mistyped Sphere.
The book is amazing, I didnt think the movie did a good job.
PatAg
AG
BigC said:

An L of an Ag said:

I'll also add The 13th Warrior.
Lo there do I see my father,
Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers,
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning,
Lo they do call me, bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Lo, there do I see the line of my people,

Back to the beginning!

Lo, they do call to me.
They bid me take my place among them,
In the halls of Valhalla!
Where the brave may live forever!

Do not worry little brother, there are more.

Best lines to incorporate into table top role-playing from a movie in my opinion.

Movie and book are so different, but so good each. Reminds me of Jurassic Park in that sense, both Michael Criton novels. I often think about how he would probably be regarded as they best author of the late 20th century if not for Steven King. Then I wonder if Steven King will be regarded as the greatest modern author, or possibly just greatest author full stop.
DallasTeleAg
I loved Sphere, the movie, when I was 9-10, so I still like it today. However, I love the book. It is my favorite Michael Crichton book.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Reverse adaptation:

I picked up this Graham Greene anthology that had The Third Man in it. Later watched the movie and loved it.

Found out he wrote the screenplay first, working with Carol Reed, and later adapted the screenplay into a novella.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Then I wonder if Steven King will be regarded as the greatest modern author, or possibly just greatest author full stop.
Sounds like a good poll opportunity.

As for this statement, I would say he has certainly been prolific. Greatest seems a bit of a long reach.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Another book/movie that just occurred to me: Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey, plus Kubrik's movie.

I want to say that Clarke wrote the book while Kubrik made the movie ... looked it up, yes, this entire production (book and movie) was a collaborative effort between the two, with many parts of the book bearing strong resemblance to early anthology works that Clarke had written.
Rudyjax
AG
Harry Lime said:

Reverse adaptation:

I picked up this Graham Greene anthology that had The Third Man in it. Later watched the movie and loved it.

Found out he wrote the screenplay first, working with Carol Reed, and later adapted the screenplay into a novella.

Dunno if they still do it, but they used to write books based on the screenplays. Like all movies.

That's how I found out ET was in love with Elliots mom. Didn't pick up on that when I was a kid until I read the book.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Look guys... said:

Harry Lime said:

Reverse adaptation:

Dunno if they still do it, but they used to write books based on the screenplays. Like all movies.

That's how I found out ET was in love with Elliots mom. Didn't pick up on that when I was a kid until I read the book.
They still do that. They were referred to as "novelizations". Saw such a book for Godzilla Versus Kong yesterday while I was in a bookstore. I couldn't figure out how they got a book that was roughly an inch thick out of that paper-thin story.
JABQ04
AG
Jurassic Park
Eaters of the Dead/The 13th Warrior
The Killer Angels/Gettysburg
True Grit and the 2010 movie
An L of an Ag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Another book/movie that just occurred to me: Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey, plus Kubrik's movie.

I want to say that Clarke wrote the book while Kubrik made the movie ... looked it up, yes, this entire production (book and movie) was a collaborative effort between the two, with many parts of the book bearing strong resemblance to early anthology works that Clarke had written.

Good one! I'd even put 2010 in this category as well. The movie was well-cast.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

I remember excitedly getting the novelization of Batman '89 and reading it on a vacation before the movie came out. That was probably right before the age when I got into Stephen King and started reading books (not just comic books) for fun.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
An L of an Ag said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

2010 was an excellent book as well, and I'd argue a criminally-underrated movie.
bluefire579
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

An L of an Ag said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

2010 was an excellent book as well, and I'd argue a criminally-underrated movie.
I enjoyed the entire quadrilogy. Arthur C. Clarke was such a fantastic author
SamHou
The Green Mile
Bruce Almighty
AG
bluefire579 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

An L of an Ag said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

And those aren't even his best books. Rendezvous with Rama and The Fountains of Paradise are his best.
bluefire579
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

bluefire579 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

An L of an Ag said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

And those aren't even his best books. Rendezvous with Rama and The Fountains of Paradise are his best.
I'm well aware, I've read many of his. I mention those in keeping with the theme.
Ag_07
AG
No love for The Revenant?

Book was great and movie wasn't far off. Leo and Tom Hardy were nails. Scenery and cinematography were amazing. Just a solid movie all around.
aggierogue
AG
The Road

Admittedly, I'm not a big reader. So my pool is not a vast as some of you. I love many of the movies though. I'm going to eventually read Lonesome Dove as it's my favorite series of all time on television. And I've heard the book is great.
Rudyjax
AG
aggierogue said:

The Road

Admittedly, I'm not a big reader. So my pool is not a vast as some of you. I love many of the movies though. I'm going to eventually read Lonesome Dove as it's my favorite series of all time on television. And I've heard the book is great.

I loved/hated the road. I never want to experience that book again. It was so good I hated it. I couldn't imagine watching the movie.
TAZ99
AG
If Apollo 13 (Lost Moon) was a food I'd eat it like the ass of a dead rhinoceros.

Misery and Silence of the Lambs are also good.
aggierogue
AG
Look guys... said:

aggierogue said:

The Road

I loved/hated the road. I never want to experience that book again. It was so good I hated it. I couldn't imagine watching the movie.

Movie is very similar to Cormac's book. Great adaptation imo.

Some great actors as well. Very dark and depressing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.